Is William or Kate a snob?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, no problem. I'll try to do my best to produce some understandable English. :)

I think he comes across alittle snobbish but who knows maybe he or maybe he isn't.

all ill say is He knows who he is but im not saying hes a snob because I Dont think he is Harry I Think used to be

unless of course some one meets him and posts their own reaction to him. LOL (I'm not sure this post made any sense).

I think that one has to decide what a snob is before labelling the Prince. I doubt anyone here knows him well enough to know and we can only go on appearances. Personally, I think a big ego comes across but I wouldn't call him a snob - spoilt maybe, but that's understandable.

Coquine said:
First of all, what do you see as a snob ? In my opinion it is someone who does those typical activities like playing polo, going out in expensive clubs, … and who attaches a lot of importance to his clothes and especially their brands. .

Now I am worried, am I a snob?
I've been to a lot of Polo matches, regularly ride my horses, I like going to expensive clubs and retaurants (I have never been in a MacDonalds), I like to dress well.
None of these make a person a snob, IMO.

William is like a lot of British kids, who want to wear the 'in' labels!

I agree Skydragon - I think a snob is someone more concerned with position, money and impressing people than anything else - Hyacinth Bucket being a prime example. I am a snob but I'll happily admit that. We're a dying breed. But whether William is a snob or not - I couldn't really say.

It takes two people to make a snob. The arrogant person feeling entitled to be a snob and another person accepting to feel inferior to the "snob".

grevinnan said:
It takes two people to make a snob. The arrogant person feeling entitled to be a snob and another person accepting to feel inferior to the "snob".
Wow I never thought of it that way.

I don't know about a snob but I definatley think he has drawn gradually away from "normal " people as it were and more into the upper-class culture which seems stuck in the 18th Century. His hair and clothes could belong to someone twice his age and he's frequently seen wearing a flat cap and carrying guns. I'm sorry but I just don't think the average 23 year old in Britain could equate with him anymore and before anyone says it's because of money and status it's not true as he seemed a lot more in touch only 3-4 years ago. I think he's going to end up living the remote and pampered life his father always has.

But it depends which set you're part of. For example, flat caps and guns really don't bother me - I spend half my life on shoots. I don't see it as exclusive. It's all about circumstances I suppose.

It's not just flat caps it's his hair-everything! I'm not saying he has to have the height of fashion but he has lost that youthful spark and looks as though he's turned into a frumpy middle-aged man over night, something his father also resmbled in his youth. I don't think he's a snob but I can see why someone posted this thread as there's been a change in him, it's really noticeable and just makes him seem remote which dosn't bode well for the future.

I thought that his hair was in fashion? Short and spiky appears to be the style - at least thats what I can work out. I'm afraid I'm not at all up with fashion. He seems well-dressed to me and apparantly he speaks with estuary English. He will need to form some sort of link with the younger generation - he can't count on his looks forever. (But I honestly don't think he's that good looking)

james said:
I don't know about a snob but I definatley think he has drawn gradually away from "normal " people as it were and more into the upper-class culture which seems stuck in the 18th Century. His hair and clothes could belong to someone twice his age and he's frequently seen wearing a flat cap and carrying guns. I'm sorry but I just don't think the average 23 year old in Britain could equate with him anymore and before anyone says it's because of money and status it's not true as he seemed a lot more in touch only 3-4 years ago. I think he's going to end up living the remote and pampered life his father always has.

Lots of young aristocrats wear caps and carry hunting guns. William is acting like the young aristocrat that he is. I think he would look more fake and reverse-snobbish if he tried to put on an act to try and convince people that he is something he's not just to make and more appealing public image.

I think that as much as royals want to "seem" part of the people, they are not. I don't think William is a snob, he is just royalty and therefore has a different status (and he knows it too). I think as soon as they become royals, they change. Take Mette-Marit, Maxima, Letizia and Mary as examples. They are snobs now. In my opinion, the only one who has not changed is Princess Camilla. She is still the same person...at least for now. I love her.

In my opinion, the only one who has not changed is Princess Camilla. She is still the same person...at least for now. I love her

You have no idea how much I smiled when I read that. Thankyou.

Hi everyone. Great thread!

I don't personally think William's a snob as, along with Harry, he mixes with a much wider variety of people than many of his family have. He always comes across as quite down to earth....I'm not naive, I know he isn't 'normal' but what I mean is he's always very relaxed with people and doesn't expect others to treat him differently or expect them to be forever tugging their forelock and saying 'Sir'.

Just my own opinion.
Joanne

Yeah I don't think he is a snob based on what he wears. People typically wear caps and carry guns when they got hunting. I think it's traditional and nice.I agree with Joanne that his desire to be called "William" instead of using his title, indicates that he isn't a snob. His girlfriend's background (although rich, she is middle class) and the way he was brought up (from what Diana taught and probably Charles too) makes me think he isn't a snob.

The thing is we cannot compare William with someone like Andrea Cashiragi, he was born to be a heir, was brought in in the stiff British protocol unlike Andrea, who has the freedom to do whatever he chooses (if he wants long hair, he wears it, if he wants to smoke, he smokes) whenever he chooses, that's what makes Cashiragi "cool and in tune with the times"; but we are being unfair to William, he's doing his best under a lot of pressure and the last thing on his mind is "are my clothes fashionable" or "I wore this last week, I cannot wear it today"; if people think he's a snob because he dresses sharply, then let them, he feels comfortable with them so...
Let's give poor Will a break!!!

Roxsteve said:
.. he is just royalty and therefore has a different status (and he knows it too). I think as soon as they become royals, they change. Take Mette-Marit, Maxima, Letizia and Mary as examples. They are snobs now. In my opinion, the only one who has not changed is Princess Camilla. She is still the same person...at least for now. I love her.

Roxsteve, as usual, a spot-on observation!

I wonder what conversation we would be having if he did dress in a hoodie or rolled about in the street drunk most nights, like some of the youth culture.:D
He seems to wear what is appropriate for the event he is attending. He would look a bit daft at a shoot, dressed in a 'sharp suit'.
When you are in the country you tend to be in Wellies and a Barbour, when in London, suits or skirts.
He is hardly going to mix, on a regular basis with youngsters from a different social sphere. His 'friends' will mainly be those he met at school, university, or the social events involving other youngsters he grew up with, just like everyone else.
I don't think he is a snob, just a nice, well mannered, wary young man, who has learnt that you have to be very carefull what you say and to try to choose your friends with great care. :)

Skydragon said:
Now I am worried, am I a snob?
I've been to a lot of Polo matches, regularly ride my horses, I like going to expensive clubs and retaurants (I have never been in a MacDonalds), I like to dress well.
None of these make a person a snob, IMO.

William is like a lot of British kids, who want to wear the 'in' labels!

Sorry for coming back at things from a previous page but, Skydragon, if you would have read my entire post, you would have understand my point, which is, I repeat, ' But most of all, a snob thinks he’s superior just because of these activities and these clothes.' No offense, I just wanted to make clear this one thing.

I remember a Hyacinth Bucket quote which went;

'I hate people who pretend to be superior. It makes it that much harder for those of us who really are'.

With the working classes all creating 'chav' culture and changing the ideas of what is good taste and good breeding, William is having to assert his position. I don't see anything wrong in him doing that.

BeatrixFan said:
I remember a Hyacinth Bucket quote which went;

'I hate people who pretend to be superior. It makes it that much harder for those of us who really are'.

:D Well, that's superior !

Coquine said:
Sorry for coming back at things from a previous page but, Skydragon, if you would have read my entire post, you would have understand my point,
In my opinion it is someone who does those typical activities like playing polo, going out in expensive clubs, … and who attaches a lot of importance to his clothes and especially their brands. .
This was the post I was replying to, perhaps I misunderstood you? :) .
The trouble is most people can act superior without realising it, appearing confident can be mistaken for acting in a superior manner. As I said I have never been in MacDonalds but, to some just by saying that, infers that I am a snob.
Can anyone say in all honesty that they would not, if given the chance, dress in designer clothes all the time, if they are the right clothes for the activity, or go to the better quality nightclubs, where nobody gets into fights?

Ok, it's clear that we don't understand eachother. :)
I'm not saying that if you buy expensive clothes and play polo, you are anyhow a snob (I ride myself and I really don't see myself as a snob !). For me, it's all about looking down at people because they are not the same as you. (You should consider my first post in his entirety and not single out that one phrase.)
Anyway, we'd better let go the discussion because I think in Belgium (or at least I do) we don't have the same point of view on what's a snob as in Great Britain. And again, no offense.

Skydragon said:
Can anyone say in all honesty that they would not, if given the chance, dress in designer clothes all the time, if they are the right clothes for the activity, or go to the better quality nightclubs, where nobody gets into fights?
*whistles* ;)

There probably isn't a lot of people who assosiate frequently outside their 'social class' we can't really blame him for that, as someone said most people he knows will be relatives, friends of relatives, friends of friends, people he knows from school, polo and such, and most of them are going to be rich. I am very much working class, and because of my school work and lifestyle, I don't really know wealthy people much at all, and that doesn't mean anything, except that we move in different circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom