Has your opinion of Kate changed?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Beatrix Fan, you were the last person I would have thought would end up liking Kate. How fitting that you changed your avatar also.

I am sorry to say I've never really cared for Kate, but if she does marry William, then fine, I hope she will do a good job and be a good asset to the family. She still strikes me as the "gold digger" type. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though. So I guess I'm one of the few that still doesn't like her.

ZandraRae said:
Well, Beatrix Fan, you were the last person I would have thought would end up liking Kate. How fitting that you changed your avatar also.

I am sorry to say I've never really cared for Kate, but if she does marry William, then fine, I hope she will do a good job and be a good asset to the family. She still strikes me as the "gold digger" type. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though. So I guess I'm one of the few that still doesn't like her.

I think William knows how to suss out a gold digger and even if she was.....she certainly doesn't have the appearances of one. In that I mean, I haven't read about her getting expensive jewelery from him, or a new car or endless shopping trips with the Prince's credit card or other such gifts. She's gone on vacation with him I think, but that was with a bunch of other people. You can't say that just because she's with a wealthy man, she's only in it for the cash. I'm sure she knows he has money, but she doesn't seem to be with him for that. If she was, I think they would have gone Splitsville by now.

Just my humble opinion.

theprincess said:
Well said. I guess this is just a natural thing for the press to do, but it is rude---comparing a son's girlfriend to his late-mother who was a well-loved media figure who died young. IMO, it is in poor taste.

It's not just in poor taste, it's incredibly creepy. It's like they don't even notice the revolting Oedipal overtones they're trying to impose on the relationship!

Chiyo said:
It's not just in poor taste, it's incredibly creepy. It's like they don't even notice the revolting Oedipal overtones they're trying to impose on the relationship!

If it's the press we're talking about, I doubt their thoughts would be of such a profound nature. I suspect their thinking extends no deeper than: We were able to manipulate Diana's popularity and turn her into a souce of lots of money for us; William is Diana's son; William has a girlfriend; we can capitalise on the link to Diana and manipulate William's girlfriend's popularity and turn her into a source of lots of money for us.

Roslyn said:
If it's the press we're talking about, I doubt their thoughts would be of such a profound nature. I suspect their thinking extends no deeper than: We were able to manipulate Diana's popularity and turn her into a souce of lots of money for us; William is Diana's son; William has a girlfriend; we can capitalise on the link to Diana and manipulate William's girlfriend's popularity and turn her into a source of lots of money for us.

I know. And even if they were to think of it, they wouldn't care. I think after a while in the tabloid business, one becomes so cynical that the people they write about cease seeming humans and just become subjects. It's the kind of dissociation that allows them to be so cruel.

All things considered, Kate is dealing with this better than I would be. Now, I know that's not saying much, but it's the truth. No matter how much I love someone, I couldn't handle having people snapping my picture all the time, newspapers running articles about me, people speculating about me online.....it would drive me batty. It shows an immense strength of character in her to say "I love this man, so I will put up with all that surrounds him just to be with him." I'll always give her credit for that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I suspect I would have gone hog-wild with a taser or decided to play Indiana Jones with a whip long before now.

I agree Sister Morphine. My hunch and hope is that this girl is special. She conducts herself with such dignity and grace under stressful situations. She is a credit to herself and to her parents' upbringing. That she hasn't said (within earshot anyway) "naff off" (I think that's the term Princess Anne used) to the press yet is a credit to her.

Of course in the beginning the cameras would be a little unsettling. I remember the early days of something my firm was involved in and the press circus (even more than those camped out in front of Kate's home today) was set up outside of the client's building for weeks on end. Every time our driver pulled up in front of the building the press was all over us like a swarm of bees -- I literally BOLTED from the car into the building until they finally realized I was a nobody. So I can understand how cameras jammed in your face can be scary. If I were Kate I might try very light banter with them, or as a one-time joke bring them tea & cookies like Martha Stewart did for the stalking paparazzi on her property the day she was released from jail.:lol: They're not going to go away, but you can try to get them on your side with a sense of humor.

Anyway, Kate needs a professional PR person/publicist, not Clarence House or any other House, who seem to be clueless about PR and how to handle the press. Threatened litigation doesn't cut it, the press have better lawyers than anything Clarence House or Prince Charles or the Queen for that matter can come up with. First, Kate and William need to cool it on the club scene or really go undercover. Second, she's got to move -- remaining in her apartment is no longer tenable. Not fair to her neighbors. She needs to live in some sort of building that has underground or gated entrances/exits, if that sort of thing exists in London. Third, her parents and William should split the cost of a professional driver with experience SAFELY eluding paparazzi. And finally, this will be humiliating to Kate, but she and William should issue a statement saying they have no plans to marry in the foreseeable future, as William has his military obligation and Kate wants to pursue a career. Perhaps no one would believe them and we all know it's a lie, but they should issue a statement anyway. That would perhaps buy them time.

But someone has got to do something -- because anytime Keith Olbermann is talking about Prince William and Kate Middleton on his show and I'm reading about them at HuffingtonPost.com, I know things are out of control over there in London.

Last edited:
i have alot of respect for kate cos of all she has to deal with the paparazzi and most importantly, she didnt ask for all the attention. it just came to her cos she's prince william's girlfriend. quite impressed that she hasnt broken up with him and she continues to put up with all the press annoyances for him.

My opinion has probably changed over time, unlike BeatrixFan's it's been the opposite. I like Kate alot less now, than in the past. The more I read about her and see her, the less I like her. She often seems incredibly smug in photographs these days.

The TV footage did give me a good impression about Kate Middleton dealt with the ppaparazzi with discretion. It is very difficult for her of course but she seems to learn to live with it. And she was quite elegent and cheerful in in the parade. I don't have deep feelings for young generations yet but I hope that they can do everything to preserve the monarchy.

love_cc said:
The TV footage did give me a good impression about Kate Middleton dealt with the ppaparazzi with discretion. It is very difficult for her of course but she seems to learn to live with it. And she was quite elegent and cheerful in in the parade. I don't have deep feelings for young generations yet but I hope that they can do everything to preserve the monarchy.

Yeah well said. If she can put up with them she can put up with anything! :rolleyes:

It seems that she's doing fine so far. Just checking the pictures, she's not "HUNGRY" for media attention which is a good point for her, considering how strict is the RF. I think she's learning to cope with the fact she's popular by association (in this case because she's the girlfriend of the future King of England).

I don't have nothing against her, she seems to be a nice girl, discret, classy, and this could be a new fresh air for the british monarchy.

:)

This article's from USA Today, a main US newspaper.

It argues how different Kate Middleton is to Diana. Whereas, the paper says, young Diana offered 'a combination of being flirtatious with the press, as well as a vulnerable quality", Kate doesn't. I couldn't agree more.

Also, and this is in the eye of the beholder, there are two pictures accompanying the article, one of Diana next to one of Kate. They show, to me, the amazing charisma Diana already had pre-Charles. And it shows Kate's utter lack, imo, of said charisma. That is, she can't hold a candle in that department, to Diana. Look at the article and you'll see what I mean I think.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-01-10-diana-vs-kate-main_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

princess olga said:

It argues how different Kate Middleton is to Diana. Whereas, the paper says, young Diana offered 'a combination of being flirtatious with the press, as well as a vulnerable quality", Kate doesn't. I couldn't agree more.

Also, and this is in the eye of the beholder, there are two pictures accompanying the article, one of Diana next to one of Kate. They show, to me, the amazing charisma Diana already had pre-Charles. And it shows Kate's utter lack, imo, of said charisma. That is, she can't hold a candle in that department, to Diana. Look at the article and you'll see what I mean I think.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-01-10-diana-vs-kate-main_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

I think you have a point, princess olga. Kate looks sure of herself and she doesn't look vulnerable at all whereas Diana looked like she was getting ready to cry in that picture.

If that's charisma, I'm not really sure Kate should have that much charisma. Women that marry Windsor men, I think, need to be strong as oxen to survive in that family.

I think more innate self-confidence, less vulnerability, fewer emotional rollercoasters, more common sense, more loyalty much as we see in Princess Anne will work better for a woman marrying into the Windsors and marrying William.

It may not make for very exciting headlines though.

Argh! She is not a replacement because she's not his mother! Why don't they pay attention to what they're saying?

Edit: I was so annoyed with the press, I forgot the other thing I wanted to say, which is that perhaps it's a good thing if the new generation is less charismatic and drama-prone. It may help prevent the growing Pop Idol approach to the monarchy. I mean, these days the minute a story about the royals hits the wires, everyone's trying to vote them up or down instantly.

Last edited:
ysbel said:
I think you have a point, princess olga. Kate looks sure of herself and she doesn't look vulnerable at all whereas Diana looked like she was getting ready to cry in that picture.

If that's charisma, I'm not really sure Kate should have that much charisma. Women that marry Windsor men, I think, need to be strong as oxen to survive in that family.

I think more innate self-confidence, less vulnerability, fewer emotional rollercoasters, more common sense, more loyalty much as we see in Princess Anne will work better for a woman marrying into the Windsors and marrying William.

It may not make for very exciting headlines though.

Getting ready to cry because she's "bored to tears". Caption could be "ok, when is this going to be over, so I can leave". Not much charisma in that particular photo.:rolleyes:

At the end of the day they are two total diffrent women , dont see the point in conpairing really, makes us just as bad as the newspaper's !

Little_star said:
My opinion has probably changed over time, unlike BeatrixFan's it's been the opposite. I like Kate alot less now, than in the past. The more I read about her and see her, the less I like her. She often seems incredibly smug in photographs these days.

I was so astonished when I saw the TV coverage of her walk to her car on her birthday because I had only seen the picture in Hello! before. There she looked thoroughly amused or smug - as you say. But when I saw the reality on TV I realised that a photographer had only captured a fleeting impression in one picture of her getting into the car looking smiling: because on TV you could see that she was not smiling at all! I stopped to trust the pictures and the explanation in the caption a long time ago but this really was stunning.

princess olga said:

Interesting. I see it completely different. IMHO Diana is looking artificial while Catherine seems to radiate youth, health and self-confidence.

Jo of Palatine said:
Interesting. I see it completely different. IMHO Diana is looking artificial while Catherine seems to radiate youth, health and self-confidence.

Yes, me too. Kate looks to me as a confident and natural human being while it looks like Diana is striking a pose... :ermm:

princess olga said:

As many are saying, it shows how differently people 'see' things. I see no charisma, just a sullen young woman, with an expression best described as 'if looks could kill'.

Catherine on the other hand, looks fresh faced, happy, confident and smiling for her prince, not the cameras.

It is just as well we don't all like the same thing! :flowers:

Skydragon said:
As many are saying, it shows how differently people 'see' things. I see no charisma, just a sullen young woman, with an expression best described as 'if looks could kill'.

Catherine on the other hand, looks fresh faced, happy, confident and smiling for her prince, not the cameras.

at last someone who talks sense !! thank you for that Sky dragon!

I agree. I never bought the Diana panda eyes coy look. It always seemed false to me but with Kate, she has a look of, "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" which I like.

Skydragon said:

I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities. There is also a 6 year difference in ages at the time the pictures were taken. Diana was 19. Kate is almost 25. I know I matured a lot in that 6 year time span.

Ennyllorac said:
I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities. There is also a 6 year difference in ages at the time the pictures were taken. Diana was 19. Kate is almost 25. I know I matured a lot in that 6 year time span.

And even if they were the same age, being 19 in 1980 and being 19 in 2007 are very different things. (Or 25 in 1980 and 25 in 2007)

Little_star said:

No offense, but I don't see what you're talking about. If I had people constantly taking my picture and camped outside my house, I wouldn't have a smile on my face 24-7. Unless of course you want her smiling like an idiot all day just in case a paparazzo snaps the shutter on her.

No, no, no! Diana and Kate are not comparable; however I bet there is somethin of Diana in Kate otherwise William wouldn´t have chosen her, somethin a psycoloist could explain better.

But no there is no comparison! in order to compar Kate and Diana we would also have to compare Charles and William and they are so different... anyway no is not comparable!

Ennyllorac said:
I don't think it is fair to compare to totally different personalities.
The pictures were not chosen by me, they were from the USA link and I was pointing out that we all see different things when we look at a person or their photo.

I agree they have totally different personalities from what we have seen and why I put, "It is just as well we don't all like the same thing"! :flowers:

Diana had charisma and the classification is not derived wholly from one photograph such as the one posted here with the one of Catherine's. Look at a whole spread of pictures and video footages after she became a princess and the classification is justified.

Catherine is a different personality, pretty and from a more ordinary background whose parents made it to the millionaire league..

Both got catapulted into the limelight by their association with one in line to the British throne. At which stage they are photographed with various expressions Diana looking coy, Catherine may look smug. Well what do we expect?...when one's status within 'the firm' isn't established yet.

But I feel that Catherine is well and truly on her way there now. She will stamp her mark in her own way and in the process create her own accolade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom