General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Duke of Cambridge is the grandson of the legendary Duke of Edinburgh. It's no surprise he's a practitioner of Dentopedalogy as well! :lol::ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding people...lighten up. Let those who have never made bad joke or put their foot into their mouth in front of others cast the first stone.

LaRae

Amen to that! The joke wasn't in bad taste. He was probably trying to lighten the mood.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Good point about the DoE....William has a way to go to catch up with his grandfather's cringe-worthy public comments.

Daria I think so too..just trying to lift things a bit and perhaps a bit of a poke to himself...afterall we all know he's not taking the tube.

LaRae

How does the Daily Mail know what William said?

looking at the huge laughter from Sophie - I assumed there was some kind of a quip that accompanied his jumping up... maybe something like "must be off, need to pitch in and drive the tube". we don't know that it was disrespectful - he was just making a joke and those around him who heard the joke laughed.

The dm made it look as though he was making a joke at the expense of the commuters. Frankly, I don't see a joke in there. He jumped up and acted like he was dashing ...not sure how that could be funny

Maybe this is one of those times where the phrase "I guess you had to be there" may be appropriate. :)

W's tube strike "joke" at Wimbledon today was a total disgrace...whilst he and his pampered wife sun themselves watching the tennis.
I suspect part of the reason Wlliam's wife is 'pampered' is because she is a lovely person (every person who's ever spoken to the media about meeting her use words like lovely, nice, polite) who fell deeply in love with William and treasures and values him and their relationship thus she pampers him and he reciprocates. IME people tend to get what they give, people who are genuinely kind tend to have friends and partners who are as well. Unkind nasty people tend to find themselves surrounded by like minded folks and seem prone to jealousy and resentment - karma, I guess.

SoHF ?

I had a tricky journey home from work, due to the Tube strike, but managed to find humour in the Dukes quip.
It seems you are the only person directly impacted by this strike to post - I'm curious, when BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit - CA, USA) threatens to go on strike there's some warning before that it 'may happen' so most people make back up plans - is it the same with your transit strikes in London?
Humor does not always 'translate' from culture to culture - William's joke seemed pretty quintessentially British to me based on all the Monty Python, BBC comedies, Mr. Bean, etc. that I've seen and I chuckled.
I am watching the Murray Wimbledon quarter final replay as I type this and they just announced about the last tube and the crowd rumbled, the TV commentators said that it was just announced those needing to rely on the tube had to leave their matches now to catch it - the TV commentators then mentioned the strike and chuckled about it - perhaps someone needs to email the Tennis channel and complain about that?

Last edited:
Am I seeing the same people who would attack Charles or Camilla if they pulled the same stunt making excuses for William?

It was in poor taste.

William probably never rode public transportation so his 'joke' is actually a put down on people who depend on public transportation to get to and from their jobs.

He can make jokes about being bald, his children or anything that affect him but making a joke about a public transportation strike reflects his lack of sensitivity toward others.

It also exposes him as looking down at the masses.

Actually it was within the past few years both William and Kate were riding on the public train more than once so yes he's been on it.

LaRae

Wasn't he commuting to his college courses in the special program he went to post grad? And weren't there articles yet again last week about fellow travelers being shocked at seeing William in economy class on a plane?
But, even if it had been Charles, who clearly doesn't use mass transit, I would have chuckled, but I find Charles' wry self deprecating humor to be funny just as I think a lot of Phillip's remarks are funny too, even if not PC - my favorite being the remark "you have Mosquitos, we have the press."

Commuter transit is different than planes and trains.

The tube is a 'subway' system not a train.

Last edited:
No, traffic jams isn't funny, but William just made light of it. He knows the frustrations people have when the traffic is nuts. Royals may not take public transport often (they do take trans to official engagements from time to time), but they do get stuck in traffic every now and then. It was harmless, IMO. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Commuter transit is different than planes and trains.

The tube is a 'subway' system not a train.

How are trains not 'commuter transit'? Millions of Brits take trains to work everyday, including me. Also, a good chunk of the Tube is actually over ground - specifically the DLR.

Jokes about the tube strike are all over the internet right now, by people who use the Tube and those who don't. I occasionally use it and I found William's joke funny. Londoners have known this was coming for days, there have been lots of 'last ditch' talks to try and avert it which failed, no one who uses the Tube was surprised by it. It's an inconvenience that's all. This is the city that survived the Blitz for God's sake.

From what I see on this forum, I think the legendary British sense of humour escapes some non-Brits.

No, traffic jams isn't funny, but William just made light of it. He knows the frustrations people have when the traffic is nuts. Royals may not take public transport often (they do take trans to official engagements from time to time), but they do get stuck in traffic every now and then. It was harmless, IMO. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

I was thinking much the same thing - whether or not he's ever taken the Tube (and he apparently has, albeit on rare occasions and not in a long time), he's definitely been stuck in traffic, just like anyone else. I'm sure he knows it's annoying. I think he was just being silly, as I really doubt the joke was aimed at anyone, be they the Tube workers on strike or ordinary commuters, if only because that wouldn't be particularly funny to anyone, I don't think. Besides, look at the two people he was sitting between: Kate and Sophie, two former commoners who have almost certainly used the Tube to commute at some time or another. They were both laughing, as were many of the people there, apparently.

I wasn't there to see or hear what William was doing, but I do see the humor in the fact that he would jump up to act like he had to run and catch the Tube. It's just a moment of lightheartedness. And I say that as a former (and possibly future) Tube commuter myself.

The trouble is that a lot of people who work in central London don't bring their cars into work. They rely on the tube. Therefore, thousands of people would either be walking long distances on a summer's day or queuing for overcrowded buses, feeling hot, thirsty and tired because of this strike.

Sorry, I don't see the humour in that sort of a joke from a man whose chauffeur will be taking him home in air-conditioned comfort. The people around him sniggered because searching for transport home wouldn't be a problem for them either.

Oh, how I miss the old days, when people didn't take themselves too seriously and look constantly for something to punish others about. Not only has there been a loss of manners but also a sense of humor.

No kidding. I made a joke at a gathering of my Parents Friends when I didn't see what I was looking for was right in front of me, that it was a good thing I have a White Cane. The gasps of horror were so loud, you would have sworn I'd swore in front of all of them.

looking at the huge laughter from Sophie - I assumed there was some kind of a quip that accompanied his jumping up... maybe something like "must be off, need to pitch in and drive the tube". we don't know that it was disrespectful - he was just making a joke and those around him who heard the joke laughed.

Maybe this is one of those times where the phrase "I guess you had to be there" may be appropriate. :)

Exactly!! We can see others around him were laughing at whatever it was he said. If whatever was said wasn't funny, do you really think the people around him would be laughing? I doubt it very much.

Nope, nothing to get bent out of shape about. Unless you're one of what I've started to think of as the Cambridge Clobbers around here who just adore it when something like this happens. So their venom and claws get to come out because, oh joy and bliss, they have a "reason" to slam Will and Kate. Again.

Sad to see so many seem to take delight in doing so.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

W's tube strike "joke" at Wimbledon today was a total disgrace. Hard working people stuck in the city, many no doubt with children to be getting home to, and he thinks it's funny whilst he and his pampered wife sun themselves watching the tennis.

Probably... I didn't like the joke and that's it. Well, I think like of commuters isn't as smooth as one might think, especially one so provileged as he... I am a commuter, (not in London or Uk but I know about some riots and fights that happened there for thi reason) and I can tell you it is not fun ant all, especially if you get to work late... so I am offended by his "joke". Of course, you can take it lighr if you think so... :flowers:. We'll simply agree to disagree. (And my post wasn't aimed at you btw:flowers:).

William probably never rode public transportation so his 'joke' is actually a put down on people who depend on public transportation to get to and from their jobs.

He can make jokes about being bald, his children or anything that affect him but making a joke about a public transportation strike reflects his lack of sensitivity toward others.

It also exposes him as looking down at the masses.

The trouble is that a lot of people who work in central London don't bring their cars into work. They rely on the tube. Therefore, thousands of people would either be walking long distances on a summer's day or queuing for overcrowded buses, feeling hot, thirsty and tired because of this strike.

Sorry, I don't see the humour in that sort of a joke from a man whose chauffeur will be taking him home in air-conditioned comfort. The people around him sniggered because searching for transport home wouldn't be a problem for them either.

I really can't see this an being insensitive to commuters or one to get excited about, unless one is looking to take umbrage (in which case, let me not rob you of the pleasure!)

If there is somebody to be derided, it is the ridiculous union bosses who inflict these strikes on Londoners. They are the villains here, not somebody who is clearly making light of a bad situation that he did not cause.

The "audience", i.e. those at Wimbledon, are all there for pleasure. Those in the rest of London have all got alternative plans in place. We have known about the strike for a while.

Last edited:
This is an example of a type of British humour that will not be easily understood by a lot of people - the "joke" contains irony. Of-course William will have no fear of getting home because he has car to take him and doesn't use the tube. By pretending to get up and leave quickly he is reflecting (in a friendly, comradeship kind of way) what other people would be feeling like doing on hearing the announcement. The "joke" is subtle and no words needed, but it is why others (most likely who would have used the tube had there not been a strike) laughed too. William wasn't saying "hahaha, I taking the **** out of all you tube users", come one, he would't do that.

A joke I once made fell completely flat because the woman I made it too wasn't British. It was a horrendously wet and windy day and I was walking into a hotel lobby in the US and a woman was standing just inside the door wondering whether to go outside or not. I said in a humorous way, "it's a little bit damp outside" and she said "what are you talking about, it's pouring with rain" and she stomped off.

Londoners are a tough bunch of people, for many, they will either work from home, work bit later and wait for when the buses or taxi's are less busy (my partner did that and had a nice meal out), stay over a friends or whatever. The tube is notoriously horrible to travel on at rush hour, if anything some people will have been relieved to have needed to find a different way home.

This is an example of a type of British humour that will not be easily understood by a lot of people - the "joke" contains irony. Of-course William will have no fear of getting home because he has car to take him and doesn't use the tube. By pretending to get up and leave quickly he is reflecting (in a friendly, comradeship kind of way) what other people would be feeling like doing on hearing the announcement. The "joke" is subtle and no words needed, but it is why others (most likely who would have used the tube had there not been a strike) laughed too. William wasn't saying "hahaha, I taking the **** out of all you tube users", come one, he would't do that.

A joke I once made fell completely flat because the woman I made it too wasn't British. It was a horrendously wet and windy day and I was walking into a hotel lobby in the US and a woman was standing just inside the door wondering whether to go outside or not. I said in a humorous way, "it's a little bit damp outside" and she said "what are you talking about, it's pouring with rain" and she stomped off.

Londoners are a tough bunch of people, for many, they will either work from home, work bit later and wait for when the buses or taxi's are less busy (my partner did that and had a nice meal out), stay over a friends or whatever. The tube is notoriously horrible to travel on at rush hour, if anything some people will have been relieved to have needed to find a different way home.

I've lived and commuted by tube in London for 5 years and I still fail to see the humor in it. But then I am not upper class like the people sitting around the royal box who found it funny.

By the way, I don't believe that this would be a Philip type of joke. His humor is different.

How are trains not 'commuter transit'? Millions of Brits take trains to work everyday, including me. Also, a good chunk of the Tube is actually over ground - specifically the DLR.

Jokes about the tube strike are all over the internet right now, by people who use the Tube and those who don't. I occasionally use it and I found William's joke funny. Londoners have known this was coming for days, there have been lots of 'last ditch' talks to try and avert it which failed, no one who uses the Tube was surprised by it. It's an inconvenience that's all. This is the city that survived the Blitz for God's sake.

From what I see on this forum, I think the legendary British sense of humour escapes some non-Brits.
And that is the secret of British Humour. Political Correctness seems to have sucked the fun out of life. Invariably when you make a comment such as Jack's quintessentially British, "it's a little bit damp outside", you find the recipient has had a total humourectomy. Poor, utterly joyless gits. They will never be able to say "I laughed 'til I cried".

As to William, and the rest of the Royal Box, and since it was "that" match, pretty much everyone who was present, weighed their options and decided the commute home could wait because the roads were going to be a nightmare. So even those that drive or are driven cannot avoid the "inconvenience". They can, however, laugh about it!

But most importantly, inconvenience is what a "Strike" is all about. It's a sort of worse case scenario, "What if you gave a party and nobody came", if nobody was inconvenienced what's the point. And Tube Workers are hardworking people with families too.

There are almost 4000 DM comment almost all negative.

I lived in Britain until my twenties and have been back regularly. I have family there and have always loved all sorts of British comedy shows. I do know what irony is, and sorry, I just don't find William's 'joke' funny.

I agree. And for all we know he could have said "Gotta put my helicopter skills to work" as he did it!

I really can't see this an being insensitive to commuters or one to get excited about, unless one is looking to take umbrage (in which case, let me not rob you of the pleasure!)

If there is somebody to be derided, it is the ridiculous union bosses who inflict these strikes on Londoners. They are the villains here, not somebody who is clearly making light of a bad situation that he did not cause.

The "audience", i.e. those at Wimbledon, are all there for pleasure. Those in the rest of London have all got alternative plans in place. We have known about the strike for a while.

I think we'll agree to disagree once again. I think the joke was a total disgrace, and I don't intend to laugh with you all. Sorry.

It's 4000, not four hundred, negative comments in the DM. Normally, I don't take any notice of the comments to the click-bait articles of the Daily Fail. The majority that post there are people who just want to vent. Many aren't British, so their views aren't going to impact on the Cambridges.

However, when several thousand people decide to voice their opinions on William's attempt at humour, even when they do so in an unreliable tabloid, there has to be some notice taken of it, surely? I don't want to make a huge deal out of it, it isn't anything much in the scheme of things.

Nevertheless, the sight of privileged people, extremely privileged in the Cambridges' case, making light of workers struggling to get home, does not make for good PR, and I doubt that the people at KP's Press Office are happy.

These are diabolical times for many in Britain. There have been swingeing welfare cuts imposed on several sections of the British population and many are struggling. This of course has nothing to do with William.

Nevertheless, there might well be some comparisons made with Marie Antoinette and remarks about a certain royal couple being seen as completely out of touch with the lives of everyday people, made over people's dinner tables as they read that story, that would give William some pause for thought if he could hear them.

This and the new tennis court and the Anmer Hall and KP renovations, just adds to the perception that the Cambridges are a wealthy couple that has no idea how ordinary people struggle. It's like the slow but persistent effect of water on stone, bit by bit. As a monarchist who wants the monarchy to continue beyond Charles, that bothers me considerably.

A number of posts veering this thread off course have been removed.

May I remind you that one of the most basic and important rules of TRF is to treat your fellow posters with respect. If you cannot do that, do not engage in the discussion. Snarky comments against one side or the other remove the friendly tone of the board, a direction the moderators and administrators have no interest in heading in.

Queries should be directed to the moderating team via PM.

JessRulz
TRF Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom