The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Aristocracy

What's interesting is that there's *obvious* quid pro quo with Charles and his sister-in-law, to the tune of 1.5 million pounds, but so many people are *way* more concerned that the Cambridges might be getting something nice that most people don't.

FWIW, I disagree to a certain extent, Countessmeout. I think most people are way more upset about the Cambridges getting something that they don't than the idea that the Cambridges might be giving something in return.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

This is off topic, but I remember when Harry was dating Cressida people who had followed Harry for years agreed that he and Sam hadnt been seen that much together for years. Holly is years older, and there was talk that William had removed himself from Branson influence years ago. I agree that the Yorks are friends with the Bransons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Then it's not a quid pro quo. The Duke of Westminster didn't gain anything from lending his plane. He already had prestige and money. Viscount Linley is William's cousin does he sell more furniture because his cousin stated at his house? Probably not.

Kate doesn't get a dress from Alexander McQueen or other designers for free.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
No, though Viscount Linley probably sells more furniture overall because he's the Queen's nephew. However, that's another issue.

The debate is a bit wider than quid pro quo, though, isn't it? I look on it all with a fairly cynical eye because, as I posted before, celebrities, royals and the super-rich all over the world get special deals and perks all the time.

I especially excepted the Duke of Westminster from my post because it's quite clear that he was obviously great friends of the Royal family for years and was a generous man. We don't know about the media mogul's relationship with the Cambridges or what, if anything, he's getting out of it, or will get out of it in the future.

With royals (and not just the BRF) it is a matter of prestige (or the snobbery factor). If a fashion house is known to dress a prominent Royal (or sell them handbags) then that brings other customers in and can add hundreds of thousands a year in profit.

It's known that designers/retail outlets give special deals to well known clients, for the above reason, and it has been so since the days when Paris ruled the fashion world.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

'The Royal Walking App'

Quote:
An app for people to follow in the footsteps of Prince William and Kate Middleton when they were students in St Andrews was announced today.

The Royal Walking App will provide a trail for visitors in the Fife town where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were at university from 2001-05.

It has been devised by the St Andrews-based Hamish Foundation, which was set up to improve facilities for children and families in the town.

The app is being launched as part of initiatives in St Andrews for European Mobility Week from 16 September to encourage people to reduce their car use.
Read more: New app puts walkers on trail of William and Kat's old St Andrews haunts - The Scotsman
Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Catherine sent a letter of support to the Kingston Grammar School Boat Club

KGS Rowing @KGS_Rowing
The KGS Sponsored Row 2016 supported by The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge! @KGSheadmaster

https://twitter.com/KGS_Rowing/statu...86736860831744
Old 09-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Courtier

The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has a photo of The Queen driving Catherine out to join the others at a shoot in Scotland.

The Cambridges are staying with Prince Charles at Birkhall.

(Can't post links, sorry.)
Old 09-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

::sigh::

Quote:
While Kate would still not become Princess of Wales, at that point she would become—and this is wild, and confusing—“Her Royal Highness Catherine, Princess of Wales,” not technically Princess Catherine.
If you're going to write an entire section about how part of the reason she's still known as KM is due to the assumed transient nature of her current title, you should really try to get your facts right.

When/if William is created Prince of Wales, "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales" is exactly what she would become. She just still won't be "Princess Kate".

I certainly hope she never becomes Catherine, Princess of Wales.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

The latest photos of George have been moved to the Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016 thread.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
When/if William is created Prince of Wales, "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales" is exactly what she would become. She just still won't be "Princess Kate".

I certainly hope she never becomes Catherine, Princess of Wales.
Should anything happen to William (accident / illness etc.) in the relatively near future and Kate became a young widow would her current titles change in any way / different ones bestowed in line with her changed status?

What would become of any of her titles if she remarried?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Should anything happen to William (accident / illness etc.) in the relatively near future and Kate became a young widow would her current titles change in any way / different ones bestowed in line with her changed status?

What would become of any of her titles if she remarried?
Should William die while still The Duke of Cambridge, Kate would immediately become The Dowager Duchess of Cambridge but would almost certainly still be called The Duchess of Cambridge until such time as George - the new Duke - married. But with William out of the picture and The Queen unlikely to survive another 20 years, George would be Prince of Wales by the time he married, or even King, in which case Kate would remain HRH The Duchess of Cambridge for the rest of her life, unless she remarried. In that case, since married women are still treated as nothing more than an extension of their husband when it comes to their formal identities, particularly in such rarefied circles, Kate would be known by whatever name tradition dictated as appropriate for the wife of whoever she married. However, it is likely that Charles would cook up some new title for her or at least let her keep the HRH since it would probably be deemed inappropriate for the future king's mother to be known simply as Mrs John Smith, though HRH Mrs John Smith sounds even stranger to me. Though, of course, she would be likely to marry a peer rather than some ordinary bloke, so might become, e.g., HRH The Countess of ..............

I think that would be the position, anyway. I may be wrong, in which case I am sure someone will tell me.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Nobility

Thanks Roslyn!

If Charles could (and given his undisputed affection for Kate - possibly would) create a unique title for his son's widow, William being Prince William of Wales(?) at the time of his death (sorry Wills!) would Princess Catherine of Wales be completely out of the question?
Possible Letters Patent updates etc. coming into play, a princess being of royal blood etc. Assuming no remarriage which would/could change everything.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

William isn't of Wales anymore. He lost the of Wales when got his own peerage. With her own princess hood created by Charles or George, it would not come with a territorial designation. It would be like Philip's just of the U.K. So no way for HRH Princess Catherine of Wales to happen unless W&K name a future kid Catherine too and she would get a of Wales when William becomes Prince of Wales or George as Prince of Wales names a daughter after his mother.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Thanks Roslyn!

If Charles could (and given his undisputed affection for Kate - possibly would) create a unique title for his son's widow, William being Prince William of Wales(?) at the time of his death (sorry Wills!) would Princess Catherine of Wales be completely out of the question?

Possible Letters Patent updates etc. coming into play, a princess being of royal blood etc. Assuming no remarriage which would/could change everything.

As Skippy said, William isn't "of Wales" now, so Catherine wouldn't be either.

No LPs would need to be issued, and there is precedent actually for the wives of deceased British princes to use their first names instead of their husbands'; when she became a widow, Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, chose to use her name instead of Dowager Duchess (she was a Princess of Greece in her own right). This created a situation when Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester became a widower who was to use the Dowager Duchess title (upon her son's marriage), and so the Queen granted her permission to use her name as well.

In a situation where Catherine is widowed and doesn't want to simply be the Dowager Duchess of Cambridge, the monarch could grant her similar permission (be that monarch the Queen or Charles), to be Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. It might be a bit trickier to do if she's a Dowager Princess of Wales at the time though, just because it could very likely create confusion.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

The previous scenario had the widow Catherine remarrying so she would lose her titles from William. If he wanted Charles or George as King could make her a Princess of the U.K. in her own right like Philip is or give her a peerage

Old 09-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I missed that part of it.

If she didn't remarry, Catherine could be styled as Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge with nothing more than the monarch's permission.

If she remarried, she would become Mrs. John Smith unless she was given her own titles. Then she would become Princess Catherine, Mrs. John Smith (looking at the recent precedent of Princesses Anne, Alexandra, Margaret, and Mary).
Old 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Should William die while still The Duke of Cambridge, Kate would immediately become The Dowager Duchess of Cambridge but would almost certainly still be called The Duchess of Cambridge until such time as George - the new Duke - married. But with William out of the picture and The Queen unlikely to survive another 20 years, George would be Prince of Wales by the time he married, or even King, in which case Kate would remain HRH The Duchess of Cambridge for the rest of her life, unless she remarried. In that case, since married women are still treated as nothing more than an extension of their husband when it comes to their formal identities, particularly in such rarefied circles, Kate would be known by whatever name tradition dictated as appropriate for the wife of whoever she married. However, it is likely that Charles would cook up some new title for her or at least let her keep the HRH since it would probably be deemed inappropriate for the future king's mother to be known simply as Mrs John Smith, though HRH Mrs John Smith sounds even stranger to me. Though, of course, she would be likely to marry a peer rather than some ordinary bloke, so might become, e.g., HRH The Countess of ..............

I think that would be the position, anyway. I may be wrong, in which case I am sure someone will tell me.
If William died while still The Duke of Cambridge, George wouldn't be able to be created the Prince of Wales as it is my understanding that this honor is only bestowed on the heir apparent to the monarch. George would either be the great-grandchild of the monarch (Elizabeth) or grandson of the monarch (Charles).

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

No the Prince of Wales title can be given to the heir apparent as George would be when Charles is King. The Duke of Cornwall title is the one that has to be monarch's eldest son and heir apparent. George III was a Prince of Wales who was a grandson instead of a son.

George would Duke of Cambridge if his father died now and then could be Prince of Wales when his grandfather became King. He just wouldn't be Duke of Cornwall like he would with living William to ascend through to the throne.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
No the Prince of Wales title can be given to the heir apparent as George would be when Charles is King. The Duke of Cornwall title is the one that has to be monarch's eldest son and heir apparent. George III was a Prince of Wales who was a grandson instead of a son.

George would Duke of Cambridge if his father died now and then could be Prince of Wales when his grandfather became King. He just wouldn't be Duke of Cornwall like he would with living William to ascend through to the throne.

Thanks Skippyboo. There's a lot of ins and outs and in betweens when it comes to royal titles.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Chrissy Teigen has a lot of famous celebrity friends. But there are still two people she’s itching to meet.

The 30-year-old model and Lip Sync Battle star confessed to her Twitter followers on Friday that she’s hoping to have a royal hangout session with Prince William and Princess Kate!

“How do I make an appointment to hang out with Prince William and Kate Middleton,” she wrote. “Is there a sign up sheet?”
Read more: Chrissy Teigen Wants to Meet Prince William and Princess Kate
Old 10-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Majesty

One thing I'm sure of is that begging to hang out with "Kate Middleton" isn't going to get her to the top of any list.

― John Lennon