The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Does the fuel bill for the helicopter get paid by the Queen as well, via the Sovereign Grant, or is that paid from another fund?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
New picture courtesy of a thank you note;
https://twitter.com/pdratcliffe/stat...27552827826176
Very appealing portrait. They look settled and comfortable with each other (and the camera).

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Sophie used a helicopter on back-to-back days, May 19 and May 20. I checked the Wessex thread to look for tommy100's criticism, strangely I couldn't find any. hmmm..

may 19 - https://twitter.com/TRH_WandC/status/734205501337145344

may 20- https://twitter.com/KarlRobbins/stat...55210879520769
Simply adore the color and overall look of the helicopter in the first picture, the wine-red one. Really elegant. (The blue one is plenty fine, too).

Regarding the use of helicopters, I see it as practical sense. These folks are popping here and there all the time (part of their 'job'), and spending (cumulative) hours in transit over a week, a month, and the whole year (which is what they would do if they were relegated to travel solely in cars and trains), is illogical. I think if they were required to sit for long stretches in cars trundling from here to there, it's likely their schedules would be far more modest. JMO.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Fair point. However, on this occasion, W & K were headed home after a few engagements in zlondon, and could have just as easily used the train. I am not usually one to nitpick about these small things, but I do think that W&K could use the train a big more between London and Anmer.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point. However, on this occasion, W & K were headed home after a few engagements in zlondon, and could have just as easily used the train. I am not usually one to nitpick about these small things, but I do think that W&K could use the train a big more between London and Anmer.
The royals don't use helicopters because they just like taking them, but take them when it's best to do so. Remember, it's their officials that make these arrangements and its The Queen that gives the approvals.

I do find it annoying that the Cambridge's are always criticized when they use the helicopters when conducting official engagements or when they have to get somewhere. Although, I think this happens because others believe some royals work harder than the Cambridge's and don't have a problem when they use it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

The train argument can always be used. After a London engagement, Charles and Camilla can stay at CH and take the train the next day to whatever estate he's going to or his next function but they don't. All senior royals have at least two residences.

The cost of leasing and using the helicopter is factored into the budget every year. It's part of what the royal household does.

It's not for just emergencies, it's not just for the Queen. There is absolutely no abuse in taking a helicopter between Norfolk and London, especially when you're the 2nd in line to the throne.

William and Catherine use British Airways when travelling internationally, and Charles charters private jets. So it's all relative I suppose.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

They do take the train between London and Norfolk. They got photographed at Kings Cross with Lupo one time. Their movements aren't followed 24/7 by the press. We don't know how often they go by train, drive or helicopter. The kids were at KP that day. How did they get back to Amner?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The train argument can always be used. After a London engagement, Charles and Camilla can stay at CH and take the train the next day to whatever estate he's going to or his next function but they don't. All senior royals have at least two residences.

The cost of leasing and using the helicopter is factored into the budget every year. It's part of what the royal household does.

It's not for just emergencies, it's not just for the Queen. There is absolutely no abuse in taking a helicopter between Norfolk and London, especially when you're the 2nd in line to the throne.

William and Catherine use British Airways when travelling internationally, and Charles charters private jets. So it's all relative I suppose.
Exactly. And also, train vs helicopter when it comes to security will be VERY different. So I wouldn't be surprised if helicopter rides are not mainly for convinience, but rather to avoid alot of security checks etc that would be needed with car and train.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They do take the train between London and Norfolk. They got photographed at Kings Cross with Lupo one time. Their movements aren't followed 24/7 by the press. We don't know how often they go by train, drive or helicopter. The kids were at KP that day. How did they get back to Amner?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Good question - do we know the helicopter went to Amner, or is the Fail just assuming that they were headed there. When and how did the children go home? Where was William's polo match & how did he get there?
The Queen should just buy William and Harry a helicopter and let them pilot themselves wherever they want to go - just kidding.
I did see Andrew and one of his daughters criticized for taking a really short helicopter ride a couple of years ago.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
You'd think the helicopter took Prince George and his friends to McDonalds and then to a playground for the afternoon.

Travel between official residences and travel in pursuance of royal functions is literally what the helicopter is for. Says right in the Sovereign Grant Act.

I know people go to any and all lengths to have a go at W&K but this helicopter stuff is so old.
Why does the DM dislike W & K?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

I suspect it is more a matter of getting "clicks" from all the nasties rather than the Fail disliking them. The Fail just uses them .....
Old 05-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I suspect it is more a matter of getting "clicks" from all the nasties rather than the Fail disliking them. The Fail just uses them .....
I have gotten to where I don't even read the comments from the Daily Smell (I meant Fail) It makes me wonder what rock the commenters crawled out from under.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point. However, on this occasion, W & K were headed home after a few engagements in london, and could have just as easily used the train. I am not usually one to nitpick about these small things, but I do think that W&K could use the train a bit more between London and Anmer.
I disagree. Their 'job' is related to travel and to being seen.

Regarding travel: One or two or three 'engagements' even in the same area may represent an hour or two or three in travel by car or train, especially if congestion gets factored in at rush hour, etc. To have to spend 2 hours or more in travel, adds up. Every day.

Regarding 'being seen': not a minor matter, especially if there are personal issues stemming from childhood, or stemming from temperament, which appears to operate with William. Unless one is part of a relaxed society around royalty like Sweden appears to be, for example, I could see wanting to minimize the 'ogling' and intrusiveness of the general public. Sad, but a factor.

I can't fault them. They do what they do to make the requirements of their 'job' possible for them. 'Requiring' them to travel like the 'common folk' ('like the rest of us') simply is not feasible except for a particular kind of personality, which is not present. I think it's asking a lot, among so much that is asked of the British royals regarding their personal lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Exactly. And also, train vs helicopter when it comes to security will be VERY different. So I wouldn't be surprised if helicopter rides are not mainly for convinience, but rather to avoid alot of security checks etc that would be needed with car and train.
I think you've hit on something very key. Security issues on a given day might have much to do with choices made, as well as just not being up to facing 'the masses' yet again for an hour train ride after having spent hours doing just that.

Quote:

Nicely summed up.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

We could see the Cambridge's enjoying polo this weekend-
https://mobile.twitter.com/Middleton...55885689171968

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

They've been busy little bees the past 2 or 3 weeks....

LaRae
Old 06-18-2016, 12:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Some things never change. Its "the" season in the UK. Time to get out there and see and be seen. So many events, so little time.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

This has apparently been trending on Twitter.

WATCH: Prince William scolded by the Queen during celebrations | Key 103 - Number 1 for Manchester. Your Music, Your Life.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...am-telling-off
Old 06-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Are Lupo and Marvin not getting along?

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" is reporting that William and Catherine have been in contact with an Italian breeder, and are looking at getting a bolonka zwetna puppy to add to their family - as company for Lupo.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps Lupo ate Marvin?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe this as much as the constant pregnancy stories

I highly doubt they have an inside source unless they hacked the couple's computer, to learn they were looking into dogs. And if they were considering company for Lupo, they would likely get another spaniel or a dog with a similar temperament, activity level. This is an active family, I don't see them getting a little lap dog like a bischon.

And the Italian thing is confusing. Even if they cant get one in the UK if they want this breed, these dogs are most commonly bred in Germany not Italy. Would think lot easier and cheaper to get a dog from Germany. But I find it unlikely they were looking into foreign bred dogs. Could be wrong.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts regarding Catherine's media coverage have been moved to the Royal Family and the Media thread.