The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Fail really outdid themselves in the nastiness department on this. Talk about having your nose out of joint for being "snubbed"

Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Catherine finally gets to go skiing after a four-year drought. I bet she really missed it as the Middleton family seems like ski fanatics.
Just because we have not seen her does not mean she has not gone to ski in 4 years. It looks like the family has the ability to go to places discreetly. Good for them
lovely photos.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The media will just have to get used to the fact that William and Catherine did it this way, because it's best for them and the kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Just because we have not seen her does not mean she has not gone to ski in 4 years. It looks like the family has the ability to go to places discreetly. Good for them
lovely photos.
I doubt she went skiing during her pregnancies. And in 2014 she and William opted to go to the remote Indian Ocean for a March holiday instead of skiing. I think they waited until George was old enough to begin ski lessons. I really, really doubt she's been skiing in 2013 ,2014,or 2015. But we're all entitled to our opinions.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

I love these photos and it's great that William and Catherine released several shots and not just one or two.

The system works well for them and, in turn, for us because we get to see some of the most relaxed, happy and intimate photos we've seen in ages and great quality ones at that. We certainly don't need a barrage of photographers snapping away and shouting and calling to turn round this way or that!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Another fallacy is the press (newspapers) continue to shape public opinion. I posted in another thread how newspaper sales in Britain are declining.

We are witnessing the dying gasps of an industry that had it all to themselves at one time and couldn't adjust with the times.

It's fact of life that technology makes jobs and people redundant all the time. I used to own a book-store and it went bust with the rise of Amazon. I had to move on.

In the old days a newspaper was the only way to get the message out. You needed to lug a dozen photographers along, have a photocall and then wait for the printing press to put out the next days paper.

Thank God those days are over imo. The newspapers seem to be suggesting the Cambridges owe them a living - They don't.

I think the pictures are beautiful and I'm sure the general public agrees
Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

On another note. Richard Palmer's editor obviously has a different view of the Cambridges' ski photos than he does. Front page

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/7...614272/photo/1
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

What a nice surprise, I wasn't expecting to see new photos today. George and Charlotte are adorable children and they look alike, although weirdly I think George looks like Catherine, whereas Charlotte is more like William, especially around the eyes. I adore the children's winter hats, and Charlotte appears to be a happy baby, which is cute to see.

I hope the Cambridges had a nice time in the French Alps. Would this be the first time George and Charlotte have seen deep snow?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like the pictures and I think these were the most natural shots of the family, along with the pic released back in October. I think Charlotte looks a lot like William, and I also see a lot of Harry around her eyes. Very much surprised, not only for thr pictures, (which are more than one or two), but also for the venue in which they were taken.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I hope the Cambridges had a nice time in the French Alps. Would this be the first time George and Charlotte have seen deep snow?
As far as any of us know (and likley) - yes - first deep snow event! And how fun!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts about William, Catherine and Harry's accommodations for their June visit to France, have been moved. The discussion can now be found in the British Royal Family Current Events thread.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think it's interesting that both Harry and the Cambridges chose France over renting out Uncle Andrew's Verbier chalet. Last month the Wessex family chose St. Moritz over the York chalet, too.
Doesn't Fergie live there full time? The Wales boys and Fergie don't seem close so I guess it would be weird to stay in her house
Old 03-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

Before saying anything else...I've been having a wretched week w/what's going on w/me medical wise and in dire need of a pick me up.

Talk about a pick me up. Nice to have something to smile over and these w/out a doubt make you do that. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Great pics! Charlotte is looking more like George in that one.

LaRae

I know!! The resemblance is just unreal in that one of her and her Daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
As some of us here suspected the Cambridge's chose a ski holiday this year instead in Mustique. They must have flown using a private jet (possibly from the duke of westminster) to go completely uncover otherwise there would have been some rumours the last few days but it has been quiet.
Nice that they got to enjoy a holiday in the french alps without being hassled by the paps

Yes, yes and YES!! Lovely to see these and know they had a wonderful stress free Introduce The Little Ones To Snow holiday. Most importantly IMO, seeing George and George relaxed and at ease, instead of frightened and tense due to a horde of screaming Paps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's important to remember, photos like this are released for the public to enjoy.

It's not about giving newspapers an exclusive or giving work to photographers.

Good Morning Britain, Sky News and the BBC had coverage and the photos have been all over the internet. Anyone who wants to see the photos can see them.

It's a fact of life you're not going to please everyone

Precisely, we can enjoy these photos, or those of us who refuse to look at photos taken by stalking swamp critters can enjoy these photos w/out feeling like needing to take a shower after.

And yes, I know there were pics of that kind posted recently somewhere on the Cambridge part of the Forum. Sadly, no choice but to see the first one and then page down once it was obvious these were Pap pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
The photos are fun and very nice. The media can get all upset if they want, but I think that it was nice of the Cambridges to release the photos, even if it was after they returned. They didn't have to do that at all. They could have gone on vacation and no one would have been the wiser. And the children are just plain adorable!

Exactly!! They could have simply gone and not said a thing. Instead, they did and we get these lovely photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I love these photos and it's great that William and Catherine released several shots and not just one or two.

The system works well for them and, in turn, for us because we get to see some of the most relaxed, happy and intimate photos we've seen in ages and great quality ones at that. We certainly don't need a barrage of photographers snapping away and shouting and calling to turn round this way or that!

Yes indeed, w/releasing several pictures instead of just one. I'm just wondering one thing now...

Did they make a Snowman and was the question asked or sung...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really like the way things were done. One photographer was selected to take pictures and they were released after the trip. W&K send a very clear message that their private time is just that and they expect their privacy to be honored but they also shared some wonderful photos that were taken as a family with us. It tells me that if the media gets upset at being "snubbed", its because they look at the Cambridges as a commodity rather than a young family. It looks like it was a wonderful family getaway and the kids are just too cute. Charlotte does look a lot like her dad and is a happy baby.

Someone mentioned tennis shoes and I think the reason for this is that the pictures were probably taken outside not far from where they stayed. The boots that they probably did put on while there had skis attached to them.

"Did they make a Snowman and was the question asked or sung... "

Don't ask me why but the first song that popped into my head was "Grandma got runned over by a reindeer".
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

More details are coming out.

The family were at Courchevel and were spotted at lunch at one of the restaurants.

(Locals/tourists seem to have also taken photos of them at lunch.)

I can't think they were that worried about their privacy if they were happy to just muck in with everyone else for a meal.

I'm suprised that word of this trip didn't come out until it was over - if people were about and recognised them.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

And the DM published that information about the location, thus ensuring that the next time they go to Courchevel, there'll be people phoning up reporters to cash in.

And somehow RebEng thought it "bizarre" that KP would want to keep the location secret. Yes, it's completely inexplicable that a couple might want to keep secret a place they were able to go without press intrusion, and even more inexplicable that they didn't trust the press with the info beforehand. After all, the press have demonstrated today that they have an excellent respect for limits. There's not chance at all that they, or the paps, would have utterly invaded the vacation if they'd known about it in advance.

I'm reminded of nothing so much as the classic garden exchange in Pride & Prejudice:

Quote:
``Miss Bennet, do you know who I am? I have not been accustomed to such language as this. I am almost the nearest relation he has in the world, and am entitled to know all his dearest concerns.''

``But you are not entitled to know mine; nor will such behaviour as this, ever induce me to be explicit.''
Old 03-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
I'm reminded of nothing so much as the classic garden exchange in Pride & Prejudice:
That quote has to be the most classic comeuppance of all times and totally fits into what is happening with W&K and their line in the sand regarding family privacy.

It reminded me that my copy of P&P was way overdue to be replaced. I also found the sequel Pemberley (by another author).
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Majesty

The new pictures are absolutely lovely. Both children look so happy in the snow and I love their hats. The whole family looks relaxed and I think having one photographer taking pictures instead of a whole troupe of them helps capture a more candid series of photos. The children are not appearing overwhelmed, which is the most important thing, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

And it slowly introduces them to the fact that they will be dealing with this type of situation for the rest of their lives. Other royal families do a mix of large photocalls and sessions with just one photographer, so it seems to be a popular choice among their royal peers who have children.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Slow intro is a smart move...remember when William brought George to the hospital and he saw all the photographers and people ...he was pretty scared. This one on one (so to speak) will be a more comfortable setting for the kids.

LaRae