General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no idea how official the statement but I did see something somewhere that, due to the exposure of George and Charlotte during the year, a decision was made not to have a family posed card this year. They are not against the idea (obviously as they had one last year), just not this year.
It didn't have to be a new family pose, the one taken earlier in the year on their ski holiday would have been pretty perfect. But then again, it's the Cambridges so who knows!

Thinking back though, there was an article out there on social media about the 2015 card and Charlotte photoshopped into it, so maybe a decision based on that. You would hope not, but anyway, it's their or at least Wiliam's choice.

Yes they were and seemed to be amused by the peeling of bells from the St Mark's Church.

Little Charlotte is the spitting image of Carol Middleton!

I think she's very like Carole. I also see some of the Queen in her lower face particularly.

LaRae

The Cambridges looked very nice. Love the cranberry color and coat Kate is wearing.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely surpruse. I see this bringing along the kids as a kind of compromise: we skip Sanrigham's church service but we let you see George and Charlotte.

I guess we'll see them attending church from now on. Very nice surprise indeed. The Cambridge's and Middleton look great.

I guess we'll see them attending church from now on. Very nice surprise indeed. The Cambridge's and Middleton look great.

The adults look fine, but the children are dressed in a very old-fashioned way that looks downright uncomfortable.

Poor little George must be cold wearing shorts at this time of year, and Charlotte looks remarkably like a picture of a child from the forties!

(I'm all for tradition, but not when it impedes common sense.)

I'd almost cover a bet like that. Church with the middle class has different expectations than church with the Queen. Here there was an aunt, uncle and two grandparents to help amuse small people. At Sandringham, one would be expected to not need amusing. One would be expected to be fully focused on the service itself.
I don't think I will ever forget the queen rebuking William for speaking to his son on the balcony at Trooping (I think trooping?) I don't want to drag us off topic, but next year will unveil itself in the fullness of time.

I was dressed the same way as George as a kid, except with long johns and pants, during the winter. If my parents dressed me in shorts during this time of the year, a family member would've slapped both my mother and father. Of course the English do things differently though.

I'd almost cover a bet like that. Church with the middle class has different expectations than church with the Queen. Here there was an aunt, uncle and two grandparents to help amuse small people. At Sandringham, one would be expected to not need amusing. One would be expected to be fully focused on the service itself.
I don't think I will ever forget the queen rebuking William for speaking to his son on the balcony at Trooping (I think trooping?) I don't want to drag us off topic, but next year will unveil itself in the fullness of time.

You do realize William and Harry also attended church with the family at early ages too. Just go back and look at the old pictures and you'll see it. Got nothing to do with being middle class.

Peter and Autumn's kids were also at church today.

You can go back even further and look at pictures of The Queen and Princess Margaret attending church with their parents and grandparents at very early ages.

Last edited:
It's warm in England today. 13 celsius. I'm a grown man and if I could wear shorts all the time I would.

Go back and look at William as a child. Short pants are the norm. As it was for Charles.

I've never seen people get so worked up over toddler's outfits as I do with Charlotte and George.

I'd be disappointed if George wore trousers at his age.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte hold candy canes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTX6Z87Z7OQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Every English boy who are of school age and goes to school with uniforms that wears shorts and socks must be living in the 19th century and have parents with no common sense? :rolleyes:

You took the words out of my mouth. In the BRF you don't attend Christmas church unless you are old enough to sit calmly through a service without causing a ruckus. I think George may make an appearance at Sandringham services next year, but I would't hold my breath on Charlotte. Especially, when you consider that William and Catherine greet the well-wishers and accept flowers after the service. Catherine can't just carry Charlotte around there like she did this year.

Got nothing to do with being middle class.

Peter and Autumn's kids were also at church today.

I find this to be a bad comparison. Savannah and Isla are both in school, not daycare like George. Savannah turns 6 in a couple days, Isla turns 5 in a couple months. George is not even 3 1/2, yet. Charlotte is only 1 1/2. I don't think you can put these two groups of children in the same category.

And while the Cambridge children could attend a low-key service at St. Marks, I'd say there is no way they would of attended at Sandringham this year.

You've also neglected to see that James Wessex didn't attend Sandringham services until the age of 8.

Last edited:
And Louise only started going after the royal wedding right?

I'm guessing George and Charlotte are able to get through a service without burning the place down now, or they would've been left back at home with nanny.

Again, William and Harry attended church at early ages. The Queen and Princess Margaret did too. It depends of the kids, not just the ages folks.

I find it hilarious that people are worked up about George wearing shorts when most of the women are wearing shorter dresses. If it's so unbearably cold that the child with a large jacket on is going to freeze because a couple inches of his legs are exposed then how must Catherine with her long legs be surviving?

Is this really something that needs to be criticized literally every time George is seen in public? Can we not accept that this is how William and Kate want to dress their child and acknowledge that for a short period of time when it's not snowing or raining and he's wearing a coat it isn't going to hurt George?

I'm guessing George and Charlotte are able to get through a service without burning the place down now, or they would've been left back at home with nanny.

Again, William and Harry attended church at early ages. The Queen and Princess Margaret did too. It depends of the kids, not just the ages folks.

Ok, I looked up your claims. The first time I found a picture of William at Christmas services was in 1986, when he was 4 1/2 and in school. The first picture I saw of Harry was in 1989, when he was 5 and in school. This puts them in the Savannah and Isla category, not the George and Charlotte one.

Unless, you can link me to earlier pictures that I missed of William and Harry, I don't understand why you are certain, down to your bones, that 1 1/2 year old Charlotte would have attended Sandringham services this year.

Every English boy who are of school age and goes to school with uniforms that wears shorts and socks must be living in the 19th century and have parents with no common sense? :rolleyes:

No, it's just a different way of doing things. I fail to understand the furor over the dress style of the children. IMO, they look lovely and as elegant as children can look.

Ok, I looked up your claims. The first time I found a picture of William at Christmas services was in 1986, when he was 4 1/2 and in school. The first picture I saw of Harry was in 1989, when he was 5 and in school. This puts them in the Savannah and Isla category, not the George and Charlotte one.

Unless, you can link me to earlier pictures that I missed of William and Harry, I don't understand why you are certain, down to your bones, that 1 1/2 year old Charlotte would have attended Sandringham services this year.

What I know is that if the kids weren't able to attend church with their parents, they would've stayed back at the house with their nanny. William and Catherine wouldn't allow the kids to run amuck in church, no matter if they're with the Middletons or the royal family. Taking them to church today proves the kids can now handle going to church without causing trouble.

The young princesses Elizabeth and Margaret went to church pretty young, and during the time when royal children were expected to stay at home with the nannies until they were older.

Young James Wessex were bit of a handful before he was allowed to attend things with his parents. He would run off within a second. Sophie and Edward protected their daughter from the media attention due to her eyesight issue. Different situations.

Looks like Mrs. Middleton right arm is in a sling. Those injuries.

Last edited:
William's first Christmas service was in 1986, when he was 5. Harry wasn't there that year or in 1987. Harry's first year was 1989, by which William was in long pants.

ETA: And Miss Whirley beat me to it while I was looking back at pictures.

Last edited:
What I know is that if the kids weren't able to attend church with their parents, they would've stayed back at the house with their nanny. William and Catherine wouldn't allow the kids to run amuck in church, no matter if they're with the Middletons or the royal family. Taking them to church today proves the kids can now handle going to church without causing trouble.

The young princesses Elizabeth and Margaret went to church pretty young, and during the time when royal children were expected to stay at home with the nannies until they were older.

Young James Wessex were bit of a handful before he was allowed to attend things with his parents. He would run off within a second. Sophie and Edward protected their daughter from the media attention due to her eyesight issue. Different situations.

Looks like Mrs. Middleton right arm is in a sling. Those injuries.

I think that Nanny along with the rest of Cambridges staff are on Christmas leave.

William, Harry, Beatrice, Euegine, Peter and Zara attended Easter services as kids too.

The point is, the Cambridge kids can now handle it.

Last edited:
William, Harry, Beatrice, Euegine, Peter and Zara attended Easter services as kids too.

The point is, the Cambridge kids can now handle it.

The point is, you are making this claim with little to no basis, on recent Sandringham precedents.

If next year, Charlotte doesn't attend Sandringham services, what will you say? Will you accept that you misjudged the situation and BRF traditions, or will you say "Charlotte can handle it, she should be here, screw the precedent!"

Last edited:
The point is, you are making this claim with little to no basis, on recent Sandringham precedents.

If next year, Charlotte doesn't attend Sandringham services, what will you say? Will you accept that you misjudged the situation and BRF traditions, or will you say "Charlotte can handle it, she should be here, screw the precedent!"

Maybe Charlotte won't attend, but at least we know that it's possible for them to attend. We don't have sit around and wait until they're eight or 32 to attend. Kids are different from each other. Some kids at this age wouldn't be able to attend church. Look how nice George and Charlotte behaved at their first church outing.

Josh Glancy, who attended the service, said the Duchess took her 19-month-old daughter for communion right at the end. “George and all the others had communion, queued up with everyone else, it was all smiles,” he added
Some of the children left the service mid-way through to do some festive craftwork. Prince George chose to sit in the pews alongside his father while Princess Charlotte was said to be ushered into a nearby creche.
The candy cane may have been a welcome treat for the Princess, who reportedly tried to take one of the church's cuddly toys home with her but had it prized away from her by her mother before they left.
Prince George and Princess Charlotte attend their first ever Christmas church service as they celebrate with the Middletons 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom