The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

William should have said this

https://twitter.com/thejamesboyle/st...85890854457344

Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
This is an example of a type of British humour that will not be easily understood by a lot of people - the "joke" contains irony. Of-course William will have no fear of getting home because he has car to take him and doesn't use the tube. By pretending to get up and leave quickly he is reflecting (in a friendly, comradeship kind of way) what other people would be feeling like doing on hearing the announcement. The "joke" is subtle and no words needed, but it is why others (most likely who would have used the tube had there not been a strike) laughed too. William wasn't saying "hahaha, I taking the **** out of all you tube users", come one, he would't do that.

A joke I once made fell completely flat because the woman I made it too wasn't British. It was a horrendously wet and windy day and I was walking into a hotel lobby in the US and a woman was standing just inside the door wondering whether to go outside or not. I said in a humorous way, "it's a little bit damp outside" and she said "what are you talking about, it's pouring with rain" and she stomped off.

Londoners are a tough bunch of people, for many, they will either work from home, work bit later and wait for when the buses or taxi's are less busy (my partner did that and had a nice meal out), stay over a friends or whatever. The tube is notoriously horrible to travel on at rush hour, if anything some people will have been relieved to have needed to find a different way home.
I've lived and commuted by tube in London for 5 years and I still fail to see the humor in it. But then I am not upper class like the people sitting around the royal box who found it funny.

By the way, I don't believe that this would be a Philip type of joke. His humor is different.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
How are trains not 'commuter transit'? Millions of Brits take trains to work everyday, including me. Also, a good chunk of the Tube is actually over ground - specifically the DLR.

Jokes about the tube strike are all over the internet right now, by people who use the Tube and those who don't. I occasionally use it and I found William's joke funny. Londoners have known this was coming for days, there have been lots of 'last ditch' talks to try and avert it which failed, no one who uses the Tube was surprised by it. It's an inconvenience that's all. This is the city that survived the Blitz for God's sake.

From what I see on this forum, I think the legendary British sense of humour escapes some non-Brits.
And that is the secret of British Humour. Political Correctness seems to have sucked the fun out of life. Invariably when you make a comment such as Jack's quintessentially British, "it's a little bit damp outside", you find the recipient has had a total humourectomy. Poor, utterly joyless gits. They will never be able to say "I laughed 'til I cried".

As to William, and the rest of the Royal Box, and since it was "that" match, pretty much everyone who was present, weighed their options and decided the commute home could wait because the roads were going to be a nightmare. So even those that drive or are driven cannot avoid the "inconvenience". They can, however, laugh about it!

But most importantly, inconvenience is what a "Strike" is all about. It's a sort of worse case scenario, "What if you gave a party and nobody came", if nobody was inconvenienced what's the point. And Tube Workers are hardworking people with families too.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Royal Highness

There are almost 4000 DM comment almost all negative.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I lived in Britain until my twenties and have been back regularly. I have family there and have always loved all sorts of British comedy shows. I do know what irony is, and sorry, I just don't find William's 'joke' funny.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
There are almost 4000 DM comment almost all negative.
The DM comments section, that voice of reason, the arbiter of good taste and public opinion!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No, traffic jams isn't funny, but William just made light of it. He knows the frustrations people have when the traffic is nuts. Royals may not take public transport often (they do take trans to official engagements from time to time), but they do get stuck in traffic every now and then. It was harmless, IMO. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.
I agree. And for all we know he could have said "Gotta put my helicopter skills to work" as he did it!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I really can't see this an being insensitive to commuters or one to get excited about, unless one is looking to take umbrage (in which case, let me not rob you of the pleasure!)

If there is somebody to be derided, it is the ridiculous union bosses who inflict these strikes on Londoners. They are the villains here, not somebody who is clearly making light of a bad situation that he did not cause.

The "audience", i.e. those at Wimbledon, are all there for pleasure. Those in the rest of London have all got alternative plans in place. We have known about the strike for a while.

I think we'll agree to disagree once again. I think the joke was a total disgrace, and I don't intend to laugh with you all. Sorry.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

It's 4000, not four hundred, negative comments in the DM. Normally, I don't take any notice of the comments to the click-bait articles of the Daily Fail. The majority that post there are people who just want to vent. Many aren't British, so their views aren't going to impact on the Cambridges.

However, when several thousand people decide to voice their opinions on William's attempt at humour, even when they do so in an unreliable tabloid, there has to be some notice taken of it, surely? I don't want to make a huge deal out of it, it isn't anything much in the scheme of things.

Nevertheless, the sight of privileged people, extremely privileged in the Cambridges' case, making light of workers struggling to get home, does not make for good PR, and I doubt that the people at KP's Press Office are happy.

These are diabolical times for many in Britain. There have been swingeing welfare cuts imposed on several sections of the British population and many are struggling. This of course has nothing to do with William.

Nevertheless, there might well be some comparisons made with Marie Antoinette and remarks about a certain royal couple being seen as completely out of touch with the lives of everyday people, made over people's dinner tables as they read that story, that would give William some pause for thought if he could hear them.

This and the new tennis court and the Anmer Hall and KP renovations, just adds to the perception that the Cambridges are a wealthy couple that has no idea how ordinary people struggle. It's like the slow but persistent effect of water on stone, bit by bit. As a monarchist who wants the monarchy to continue beyond Charles, that bothers me considerably.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A number of posts veering this thread off course have been removed.

May I remind you that one of the most basic and important rules of TRF is to treat your fellow posters with respect. If you cannot do that, do not engage in the discussion. Snarky comments against one side or the other remove the friendly tone of the board, a direction the moderators and administrators have no interest in heading in.

Queries should be directed to the moderating team via PM.

JessRulz
TRF Administrator
Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thoughtful Rainbows in Rugby received personal thanks from the royals after making cards to mark the birth of Princess Charlotte.

The girls, aged 5-7 year, made congratulations cards for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

They received personal cards and messages for each person including leaders, assistants, young leaders and two helpers from Rugby School.
More: Royal thank you after Rugby Rainbows make cards for baby Charlotte - Rugby Advertiser
Old 07-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Children from Jack and Jill Preschool Playgroup in Dalton were taken aback to receive a personalised reply to cards they sent in May congratulating the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of Princess Charlotte.

Along with a card for the royal couple, the children had also sent one to Prince George, congratulating him on his new role as a big brother. The little ones were kept in suspense until Monday last week, when the special thank you letter winged its way to them.

Deputy manager Lisa Lister described everyone’s surprise when they caught a glimpse of the royal postmark.

“We just didn’t expect it at all”, she said. “The letter was lovely because it was so personalised.”
More: Dalton children receive message from royals
Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A SPECIAL portrait of Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge made entirely from jelly beans can be found in Friars speciality chocolate shop, in Market Place, Ambleside.

And one lucky visitor who guesses how many jelly beans it took to make the picture on display in the new shop, will win a hamper full of sweet goodies.
Read more: Ambleside shop shows the sweet side of Royals (From The Westmorland Gazette)
Old 07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

Gotta love "silly" stuff like this :) At least it's not creepy as the knitted christening :P
Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think my favorites have been the sand sculptures, but this one is pretty good too. In certain parts of the Mid-West U.S. and Canada, we'd have seen them sculpted in butter!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I think sand sculptors, if that's the word, are very talented. We have a sand sculpting competition every year at a beach near my home and there are some terrific creations. I can't imagine the Cambridges in butter, though!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Trust me Curryong, there is a sculptor in the Wisconsin Dells that could create a divine dairy design featuring the Cambridges. (Best attempt at butter related alliteration.)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I noticed. Very good!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:16 AM
Commoner

Ah, the butter sculpture, the mainstay of US State Fairs! However, Curryong, you could have found one close to home at the 1954 Brisbane Exhibition. QEII, in butter!!!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...bane,_1954.jpg

The Royal model was placed in a refrigerated display cabinet surrounded by “an attractive display of 56lb boxes of butter”. The butter-model of the Queen was wearing a tiara, carrying a handbag and holding a bunch of flowers. She was dressed in an evening gown embroidered with roses.

Weird and wonderful exhibits at the Brisbane Ekka | John Oxley Library

(I think I should go to bed now. )
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Not me. I seem to have developed a hankering for some popcorn with ... you guessed it... hot butter.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon