General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or does anyone remember the alleged photograph depicting Diana, Princess of Wales getting out of a car after meeting with Richard Kay in a car?

That rings familiar to me. From all that I've read over the years, Kay and Diana were in contact with each other quite a bit. If Diana needed something in the press, she'd call Kay and it'd be done. This was all part and parcel of her manipulating the press during the bad times.

I'm sure that William is quite familiar with that and first hand saw how the press played a huge role in his family's matters. The tactics that Kay and some other journalists are using to goad Will and Kate into a reaction most likely will bite them in the butt as all it will accomplish is the Cambridges retreating further and further away from the press except for when they're out doing official engagements.

That rings familiar to me. From all that I've read over the years, Kay and Diana were in contact with each other quite a bit. If Diana needed something in the press, she'd call Kay and it'd be done. This was all part and parcel of her manipulating the press during the bad times.

I'm sure that William is quite familiar with that and first hand saw how the press played a huge role in his family's matters. The tactics that Kay and some other journalists are using to goad Will and Kate into a reaction most likely will bite them in the butt as all it will accomplish is the Cambridges retreating further and further away from the press except for when they're out doing official engagements.
I believe after Diana's death Kay also wrote an article about PC walking across the Balmoral estate wondering where it all went wrong and questions were asked, how could Kay know this happened and I believe it was Penny Juror who alleged Kay was breifed by a Palace insider.

I believe after Diana's death Kay also wrote an article about PC walking across the Balmoral estate wondering where it all went wrong and questions were asked, how could Kay know this happened and I believe it was Penny Juror who alleged Kay was breifed by a Palace insider.

I don't think any of that is really true and to be honest, its water long gone under the bridge. IIRC, Charles wasted no time in flying to Paris. We do know that Charles was devastated and did all he could for his ex-wife and that's what matters most.

Although its a bit off topic discussing what was way back when, it does shed light on a lot of reasons William and Kate have to distrust and dislike the press. They know they do need the press as they increase their royal profile over the years but yet remain very guarded at how much they let the press into their private lives. They are setting boundaries and the line in the sand now rather than later and I think its something that the press will just have to accept and abide by.

I hear you Osipi, I think I phrased myself badly. Richard Kay has history with DOC's parents and I don't blame either The Duke or Duchess for not wanting to play with fire by getting to close to the media. I know that The Duchess worked with Tom Bradbury's wife and that The Duke is on friendly terms with Tom Bradbury, hence his allegedly getting the plumb job of the engagement interview and their both being invited to the Royal Wedding. Then again allegedly Penny Juror's son was in PH's class at Eton and that did not stop her writing a book on PH recently. Lets hope Lupo doesn't learn to write.

William and Catherine would be wise to favor only certain journalists. I'm sure that would only energize the others but they do need to cultivate responsible ones.

FWIW Penny J's journalistic prowess is hardly better than Richard Kay or Sebastian Shakespeare, IMO.

William and Catherine would be wise to favor only certain journalists. I'm sure that would only energize the others but they do need to cultivate responsible ones.

FWIW Penny J's journalistic prowess is hardly better than Richard Kay or Sebastian Shakespeare, IMO.
I don't think it would. They had a few photographers at the Christening that gave all the pictures to the Press Accossiation. But there have been ALOOOOT of grumblings from the media about the access to the christening.

Why is Kate Middleton becoming the invisible Princess? | Daily Mail Online

I believe this wouldn't be such an issue if she didn't have a "work shy" history to her past.That really will always bite her in the butt! Had she worked, no-one (I hope) would resent any time off now she is a mum.

But if she'd worked full-time, when would she ever have seen William?

That's how it is with royal GFs, they have to work around his schedule.
Mostly they have jobs where their employers are very understanding (as they were when Kate worked for Jigsaw).

It was the same with Diana, Fergie, Sophie, Chelsy, etc.
The royals have tight schedules and so something's got to give!

Doing a little sleuthing, I can honestly say that there is one royal journalist/photographer that the Cambridges know and like and his name is Arthur Edwards. It was either with George or Charlotte but I seem to remember Kate mouthing "Oh look. There's Arthur!" and waving.

He's a well respected man by many of the royal family and is quite a veteran of covering them

Looking through a royal lens with Arthur Edwards

Doing a little sleuthing, I can honestly say that there is one royal journalist/photographer that the Cambridges know and like and his name is Arthur Edwards. It was either with George or Charlotte but I seem to remember Kate mouthing "Oh look. There's Arthur!" and waving.

He's a well respected man by many of the royal family and is quite a veteran of covering them

Looking through a royal lens with Arthur Edwards
I agree. It was William pointing out Arthur to Kate after Charlottes birth. And a sweet moment on the Canada tour when Kate was behind Arthur and tapped him on the back and said "Arthur, Arthur!" with a big smile! I think he is very appriciated :D

But if she'd worked full-time, when would she ever have seen William?

That's how it is with royal GFs, they have to work around his schedule.
Mostly they have jobs where their employers are very understanding (as they were when Kate worked for Jigsaw).

It was the same with Diana, Fergie, Sophie, Chelsy, etc.
The royals have tight schedules and so something's got to give!

I think for Kate, a full-time job would have been a bit difficult not just because of scheduling, but also because of a potential conflict of interest and/or lack of privacy where she did work. Those things ended up being a big problem for Sophie (the other long-term royal girlfriend who married into the family). Sophie was older and already had an established career in PR, but once she started seeing Edward, she readjusted her work schedule so that she could have more flexibility, and she also changed jobs so that she was in a position where she was in less contact with the media. She eventually set up her own company, but of course that ended up being a big media scandal involving conflict of interest.

I think the view of Kate as being "work shy" prior to her marriages does end up making things more difficult for her now, in terms of perception. I've also always thought the view that of her as workshy was a bit unfair, because she was in an unusual position and, I think, was trying to avoid creating any problems.

I think for Kate, a full-time job would have been a bit difficult not just because of scheduling, but also because of a potential conflict of interest and/or lack of privacy where she did work. Those things ended up being a big problem for Sophie (the other long-term royal girlfriend who married into the family). Sophie was older and already had an established career in PR, but once she started seeing Edward, she readjusted her work schedule so that she could have more flexibility, and she also changed jobs so that she was in a position where she was in less contact with the media. She eventually set up her own company, but of course that ended up being a big media scandal involving conflict of interest.

I think the view of Kate as being "work shy" prior to her marriages does end up making things more difficult for her now, in terms of perception. I've also always thought the view that of her as workshy was a bit unfair, because she was in an unusual position and, I think, was trying to avoid creating any problems.
I agree Isabella. I wouldn't wanna need to go out 8 in the morning to face the media, day in and day out, which was the situation when she worked with Jigsaw. THey hung out outside her house in the morning because they knew at 8.15 she would come out and they hung around her job in the afternoon. I as well would have quit!! And working with her family is still working. So what if she got some leeway, many people take the oppurtunity if they can to have a job with flexibility so you can fit it around your life. Alot of young people have jobs where they for instance have to put in some numbers in a system by a set date, but they don't have set work hours. So if Kate helped with the packing and stuff and photographed things, that could be things she can do almost whenever. So if she choose to work 2 intense days and party 4, as long as she did her work, I see no trouble with it.

I agree Isabella. I wouldn't wanna need to go out 8 in the morning to face the media, day in and day out, which was the situation when she worked with Jigsaw. THey hung out outside her house in the morning because they knew at 8.15 she would come out and they hung around her job in the afternoon. I as well would have quit!! And working with her family is still working. So what if she got some leeway, many people take the oppurtunity if they can to have a job with flexibility so you can fit it around your life. Alot of young people have jobs where they for instance have to put in some numbers in a system by a set date, but they don't have set work hours. So if Kate helped with the packing and stuff and photographed things, that could be things she can do almost whenever. So if she choose to work 2 intense days and party 4, as long as she did her work, I see no trouble with it.

Yes, I think that she had a family business that she could work for was idea. It gave her flexibility, privacy (not only in terms of not having to worry about being photographed, but also in terms of the fact that she wasn't presumably wasn't put in contact with other employees who might not be trustworthy. She needed to have a job where she didn't have to worry about coworkers who might sell stories to the press, etc.) I think the fact that we don't know all the details of what she did at her job is a good thing - I think she was trying to be discreet, and it worked!

Again it was the issue of class with a certain newspaper. The paper asked who is Kate not to have a 'job'. She's middle class and middle class girls must work.

Nevermind the fact she comes from a wealthy family and was probably spoiled by loving parents.

See Kate isn't a toff by the usual standards of the Daily Mail. Only toffs can swan around in gowns and not 'work' for a living.

And had she worked at Tesco the DM would be asking why the daughter of multimillionaires is a taking a job from some poor street urchin.

But we do know that Kate had jobs when she was in college and during the summer. Her parents were always multimillionaires so they kids weren't brought up a silver spoon.

Even today, Pippa and James could be just socialites mooching off their parents but the both work and do charity work.

Kate also doesn't have a ton of staff. There is a housekeeper and a Nanny. Amner isn't Downton Abbey with Kate spending a hour with the children when Nanny presents then while maids, footman and the kitchen staff tends to her every need as Lady of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm certainly not questioning Kate's work ethic. I think she brings a lot to the table. But at the time for the Daily Mail and the Mirror it was about why isn't this 'middleclass' girl working 9-5 at Burger King. Who is she to lark around the caribbean with William.

Kate's 'lack' of work ethic like almost everything negative about the royals is a tabloid invention.

On another note. The rumour mill on twitter tonight has the Cambridges (George and Charlotte included) embarking on a major tour of the Caribbean next year.

Anyone seen a source?

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note. The rumour mill on twitter tonight has the Cambridges (George and Charlotte included) embarking on a major tour of the Caribbean next year.

Anyone seen a source?
That rumor has been about for AT LEAST a month and seems to get more solid over time. That + the rumor of Mustique being moved to November fits together nicely and Charlotte will be 9 months or older in February/march.. Plus, when is Harry's invictus games? If it's around then, maybe they pop over to watch thaat?

Games in May. The Caribbean makes sense with the realms there. It would have them visiting almost all of the overseas realms.

Games in May. The Caribbean makes sense with the realms there. It would have them visiting almost all of the overseas realms.

Ok, then forget about the invictus thing :p Since the rumour is it's in february/march. But it seems like a GREAT place to cover alot of ground :)

Caribbean is where you would want the royal yacht to use to get around to the various islands. Too bad the govt. got rid of it.

Hopefully they go it Bermuda and we get some royal knee displays in the native shorts ?

Caribbean is where you would want the royal yacht to use to get around to the various islands. Too bad the govt. got rid of it.

Hopefully they go it Bermuda and we get some royal knee displays in the native shorts ?

Lol! Longing from some William-leg? :p

George can't be only one showing his knees and since someone won't wear a kilt. It's are best hope until he puts that wet suit on again. ?

George can't be only one showing his knees and since someone won't wear a kilt. It's are best hope until he puts that wet suit on again. ?

Hahah, you're hillarious!

Speaking of that... Since he's the president of some diving club and Kate can dive... WOuldn't it be awsome if they did some diving engagement when in the caribbean?! :)

Anyone seen a source?

Dear me, that is going to be seen as another "holiday". The appearance of the children will certainly provide a boost!

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

I do get tired of the "work shy" stuff, as anywhere Kate would have worked, she'd be stalked by the Press/Paps and anyone who worked w/her would have money thrown at them for an "exclusive" about Kate. She was in a no win situation, so no wonder she ended up working for the Family Business. Am I the only one who remembers Kate joining that Dragon Boat team for a Charity Race and after only one Practice where the Press had hired speed boats in order to follow the Dragon Boat, and due to the tactics used to get a Picture were creating a very dangerous situation for one and all, Kate ended up having to quit the Team?

And that was something fun and for charity. It's not that big a leap to imagine what was going on when she tried working for Jigsaw. As I said, when came to working, Kate was in a no win situation.

Again it was the issue of class with a certain newspaper. The paper asked who is Kate not to have a 'job'. She's middle class and middle class girls must work.

Nevermind the fact she comes from a wealthy family and was probably spoiled by loving parents.

See Kate isn't a toff by the usual standards of the Daily Mail. Only toffs can swan around in gowns and not 'work' for a living.

And had she worked at Tesco the DM would be asking why the daughter of multimillionaires is a taking a job from some poor street urchin.

There is that little factor too. It doesn't matter she comes from a wealthy Family. It matters she comes from a wealthy Family that's only been wealthy for one Generation and not one that's "Old England money". It might be 2015, but sadly the Class Snobbery thing still does exist in certain parts of the UK.

I can't remember which of the two it is, but in one of the Documentary Interviews Prince Phillip did for his 90th, he talks about that and... For one thing, an angry DoE is rather formidable. Second, he brought up excellent reasons she never should have been decommissioned and instead refurbished and brought up to date.

The main one though? Look at all the money spent now on both Transportation and Travel Costs when a Tour takes place. Before they stayed on Britannia and used her for going form place to place when it was doable. Now it's hotels and either cars or aircraft to go from place to place all the time. As HRH said, when you do the cost comparisons, not only would HMY make back the money on any refurbishment costs w/in a couple of years, but would also have helped w/the costs of any Tour and/or Visit over the years since she was retired from service.

Especially when it comes to a Tour of the Caribbean or Asia Pacific where you're doing a lot of Island hopping. I'd never really thought about it until I saw that interview and you know something? The DoE does have an excellent point here.

Hahah, you're hillarious!

Speaking of that... Since he's the president of some diving club and Kate can dive... WOuldn't it be awsome if they did some diving engagement when in the caribbean?! :)

You know, I can see this happening, as Coral Reef erosion is a very real problem right now. It would be perfect for them to get an up close and personal look at the effects it is having, not just on the Environment, but also financially to the area as most of these communities depend on the Tourism dollars brought in by those wanting to explore the reefs. It works w/William and Wild Aid and also their concerns for Children/Youth in need of help due to circumstances beyond their control, such as the stresses of wondering what's going to happen if the reef continues to erode. Such as w/decreased tourism meaning their Parents are bringing less money home, does that mean moving somewhere else?

That's only an example, but one I'm betting is happening all over the World where Coral Reefs are in danger. It really would be one of those Engagements where so many of their interests and concerns would overlap in so many ways. Just have to wait and see if the Rumours are true now and then...:)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Dear me, that is going to be seen as another "holiday". The appearance of the children will certainly provide a boost!
I can understand how some will see it as that. But considering a majority of the commonwealth countries are there it just makes sense. They are not in the role yet where they represent the Queen much in other countires. So far these are more of introduction tours to the different commonwealth countries. Which makes sense. because if they started travelling to alot of other countries, the commonwealth countries would be feeling slighted and that would be worse than some not thinking their tour is work eenough.

Silly to title the article in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom