The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm really not much for the Hollywood celebrity scene and probably could pass Angelina Jolie on the street and not recognize her (Brad Pitt I'd recognize) and there are few celebrities I'd cross the street to see but I do have to admit that the glimpses I've gotten into the lives of these two celebrities has impressed me. They don't jump on the bandwagon to get people to look at them but to get people to wake up and pay attention to things that need done.

There aren't too many celebrities let alone people these days that care enough to reach out and do things so that others can have a better life like Jolie/Pitt do with their causes. They don't just talk the talk but also walk the walk. I can imagine that those 2 hours with Will and Kate were very enjoyable ones and I do think when it comes to United for Wildlife, these 4 together can and will be a powerful force.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

After of months of negotiation Brangelina had flown to London earlier in the morning so Jolie can attend a lunch at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office on Monday as part of her work on UK foreign policy and her ongoing campaign to end war zone sexual violence.

I'm glad W & C found time to visit

Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm really not much for the Hollywood celebrity scene and probably could pass Angelina Jolie on the street and not recognize her (Brad Pitt I'd recognize) and there are few celebrities I'd cross the street to see but I do have to admit that the glimpses I've gotten into the lives of these two celebrities has impressed me. They don't jump on the bandwagon to get people to look at them but to get people to wake up and pay attention to things that need done.

There aren't too many celebrities let alone people these days that care enough to reach out and do things so that others can have a better life like Jolie/Pitt do with their causes. They don't just talk the talk but also walk the walk. I can imagine that those 2 hours with Will and Kate were very enjoyable ones and I do think when it comes to United for Wildlife, these 4 together can and will be a powerful force.
IMHO if Ms. Jolie chooses to align herself with United for Wildlife or any of the charities that are a part of the Royal Foundation of the Cambridges and Harry her efforts will be well received.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures of Brad & Angie Arriving at Kensington Palace:
He's got her looks, thankfully.

The Cambridges

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Angelina and Brad have done many good things for causes, not surprised the royals want to meet them, though I think Prince Charles would do better becauE he does more charity work than WilknKate.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Angelina and Brad have done many good things for causes, not surprised the royals want to meet them, though I think Prince Charles would do better becauE he does more charity work than WilknKate.
Well, since Angelina works alot with William Hauge that is the (i think) director of United for wildlife (the collaboration Prince William formed) it's not surprising they wanted to meet up. Seems logical to me.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
We were commenting on another thread about the Cambridges not going to Ascot but they do like tennis. The Queen despite being Patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club has only attended Wimbledon twice in almost 40 years I believe.

Just different strokes for different folks.
I well remember one of the Queen's visits to Wimbledon. It might have been the 100th anniversary of Wimbledon(??) but it was the year Virginia Wade won. Her Majesty looked so bored and disinterested that it was comical. She never cracked a smile or clapped at any time when the camera was on her. She just sat there wearing sunglasses and looking very nice in her hat and gloves. You could tell she would have rather been elsewhere.

The Cambridges are true tennis fans and it's fun to watch them cheering and moaning with each stroke of the racket. So, yes, I hope they do show up at least once this year, even if it's not until the finals. Maybe one day the Duchess will become the patron of the club and present the trophies. She'll certainly be a welcome change from the dour Duke of Kent.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
That's really not a fair comparison as Charles has built up his charities and patronages for decades. To be honest, I think for just starting out these past few years as serious part time royals, Will, Kate and Harry have created quite a diversified list of their own that I find impressive.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Completely agree, unfortunately, a meeting with Angelina and Brad and The Cambridges (even though no photos), will get a lot more coverage than if they were meeting Prince Charles.

(I say 'unfortunately', that's probably the wrong thing to say, as any way that extra publicity can be generated for these types of campaigns is never a bad thing - although I'm a huge fan of Prince Charles and it would be great if media got even more involved in his work.)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's not really an issue of quantity here (in terms of the variety or amount of charity work), but rather the fact the William is the president of United for Wildlife, which is apparently what they were meeting to discuss. It seems there was an actual point for the meeting, not just a "let's talk about charities" play date.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

It would be good to see these four team up on United for Wildlife.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I'm not sure that is true. Yes, they use photops, in the way that royals use engagements. Celebrities don't do engagement but I wouldn't call multiple visits to refurge camps and alot of other things "doing photo-ops". They are using their celebrity to spearhead their cause, just in the way royals do.
I agree, I don't like them very much but they are not obsessed with publicity like other stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
That's really not a fair comparison as Charles has built up his charities and patronages for decades. To be honest, I think for just starting out these past few years as serious part time royals, Will, Kate and Harry have created quite a diversified list of their own that I find impressive.
Harry has definitely but not William or Catherine, I also don't believe Harry was at the visit. If I really wanted to make a difference I would think going to Charles or Harry would get something done.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Harry has definitely but not William or Catherine, I also don't believe Harry was at the visit. If I really wanted to make a difference I would think going to Charles or Harry would get something done.
If you're trying to make a difference with a specific organization, it's rather logical to want to meet with the president of that organization.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think that in this case it's about going straight to the president, if you will. I would have liked to perhaps see Charles to team up with Wiiliam, Catherine, and the Joli-Pitts. Now that would have been a powerhouse.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree, I don't like them very much but they are not obsessed with publicity like other stars.
This is where I would have to differ. I think they are exceptionally obsessed with publicity. In all honesty none of this "charity work" came about until what seems to be a rehabilitation for AJ after the scandal. I'm not taking sides however it was Sooooo obvious that the PR teams were hard at work for this couple. Therefore, I simply cannot take their "work" seriously even though it may ultimately have some good effect. There do seem to be cameras about to take pictures (of course, not pre arranged).
Unlike many people I am far from being a Saint Angelina fan. At least it looks like Brad washed his hair.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
This is where I would have to differ. I think they are exceptionally obsessed with publicity. In all honesty none of this "charity work" came about until what seems to be a rehabilitation for AJ after the scandal. I'm not taking sides however it was Sooooo obvious that the PR teams were hard at work for this couple. Therefore, I simply cannot take their "work" seriously even though it may ultimately have some good effect. There do seem to be cameras about to take pictures (of course, not pre arranged).
Unlike many people I am far from being a Saint Angelina fan. At least it looks like Brad washed his hair.
I find that cynical. The Jolie-Pitts have been together for ten years, and she's been committed to her charity work for far longer than that. And as a former New Orleans resident, I can't say enough about how good they were to the city post-Katrina... even moving there and setting up house. Brad designed and built several houses to replace homes lost by low income residents- and was there a lot more often than you'd know from the press.

They seem to put their kids and their relationship first and do their best to do good in the world. I admire that, and think they could be good friends for the Cambridges.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I'm no particular fan of Brad or Angelina's, and there's undoubtedly a PR element to their charity work, but Angelina's humanitarian work definitely came about well before the scandal (just checking her Wikipedia page: she became a goodwill ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for refugees in 2001. The scandal didn't occur until 2005). I may not be a fan, but I don't doubt that here is sincerity and effort put into the causes Angelina espouses.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Majesty

What "scandal" are you talking about? I thought she was doing pretty well back in 2000 and didn't notice any PR campaign other than the requisite publicity for her movies.

Angelina became interested in the plight of Refugees while working on "Tomb Raider" in Cambodia in 2000 according to the website for UNHCR when she started working for them and became a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador in 2001.

Further information can be found at:

UNHCR - Angelina Jolie Pitt Fact Sheet
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

General News for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Part 2: January 2015

Probably hooking up with Brad when he was still married to Jennifer Anniston. That kind of thing has been going on in Hollywood for a long time. Paul Newman was married to someone else did a movie with Joanne Woodward. Soon after, first wife divorced and then married Woodward shortly afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 PM

My impression of Angelina Jolie is just meeting William and Kate would not be her intention. I think she really lives to promote her charities and beliefs. So I'd imagine any talk with them was focused on charitable issues. I just don't see her, or Brad Pitt, just wanting to chat. I mean these are the people who decided to move to New Orleans after Katrina because they felt that if the press wanted to follow them then at least they could bring attention to the state of New Orleans.