The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
If only the BRF would release the occasional pictures like the Swedes do with Estelle and Lenore. It would help a lot.
Yes I agree. Although it won't stop some elements of the Press from their determination to get an "off duty" pic, I do think there needs to be a little more allowance for the public thirst for regular updates on the Cambridges. I think the "official" Press in this country have towed the line pretty well - it is a silly situation when photos of Kate with George at an animal centre appear freely in other countries. If they were to release a few more pics of the family, it would keep everyone happy.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Nobility

I was a bit surprised that William chose to bring George to see baby Charlotte publicly. Since George left the hospital without public notice, William could have handled the situation differently. Or not brought George at all since they left a few hours later anyway.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If only the BRF would release the occasional pictures like the Swedes do with Estelle and Lenore. It would help a lot.
William has to deal with the image of his mother being chased to her death by paps.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
william has to deal with the image of his mother being chased to her death by paps.
exactly!!!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William has to deal with the image of his mother being chased to her death by paps.
Exactly.

It really doesn't matter how other royal families do things...the interest in the BRF is generally much higher/more intense....and William, who already wasn't a big fan of the press before Diana's death, certainly didn't warm up to them after her death and then they took those pics of Kate in France.

I think we are lucky he even allowed George to be shown going into the hospital. I have a feeling that he is not going to allow more press contact than he absolutely has to...and who can blame him?

LaRae
Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Don't understand your point.

If the BRF was more open with the press, like the European royals they would have so much less hassle from them in general. It would make everyone's life a lot easier.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, it would make a lot of people happy. I personally believe that Victoria and William hold very different opinions on the public role their children should play in the PR of their monarchies. I think they have very different views developed in their own childhoods. JMO.

So very true. And it's so unfortunate that Williams experiences are so bad.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, it would make a lot of people happy. I personally believe that Victoria and William hold very different opinions on the public role their children should play in the PR of their monarchies. I think they have very different views developed in their own childhoods. JMO.
I think it's a lot easier to grow up as a royal in Sweden, or anywhere else, than it is in Britain.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Also, the British royals don't hold annual family photocalls either (outside of the usual Trooping of the Colour and Christmas). The Wales family stopped going to Easter Service at Windsor during the mid 90's, so the whole family isn't pictured there. The British royals don't vacation with each other, as other royal houses do.

The British royals do so many things differently that I sometimes think the balance of appearances should be re-worked a bit.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Exactly.

It really doesn't matter how other royal families do things...the interest in the BRF is generally much higher/more intense....and William, who already wasn't a big fan of the press before Diana's death, certainly didn't warm up to them after her death and then they took those pics of Kate in France.

I think we are lucky he even allowed George to be shown going into the hospital. I have a feeling that he is not going to allow more press contact than he absolutely has to...and who can blame him?

LaRae
You are so right! and I know that Maxima goes to Argentina more often that it is publish so when the royals wants something private they know how to do it. ! but several people mention here, they get anuals photoshoot and keep the press happy wich British do not do!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
You are so right! and I know that Maxima goes to Argentina more often that it is publish so when the royals wants something private they know how to do it. ! but several people mention here, they get anuals photoshoot and keep the press happy wich British do not do!
I think it would be great for the British royals to do annual photoshoots. They used release official photos or portraits, especially for royal tours, on a regular bases, but it stopped in the 90's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Nobility

Providing more 'posed' pictures would make no difference whatsoever - Charles tried that with William and Harry and it didn't really work. Remember all those awkward photoshoots on skiing holidays and at Balmoral? I don't think it made any appreciable difference at all.

The BRF aren't just followed by press from the UK, they're followed by press from all over the world who will simply never be satisfied. Comparing the levels of media interest to just about any other RF is pointless - for the BRF it's just on another level.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I personally think that the release to the press was a great idea and a good reminder that the least the press can give the family (any member of the royal family) privacy on their private grounds/homes.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I do like the way that some of the other royal families do annual photoshoots and I always look forward to them. But the relationship between the BRF and the media (domestic and overseas) is somewhat more intense (for want of a better phrase) than with other royal families.

There has to be some control and the only way to manage that is for the control to come from the BRF themselves. It's a shame but there you have it, I can't see it changing.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I do like the way that some of the other royal families do annual photoshoots and I always look forward to them. But the relationship between the BRF and the media (domestic and overseas) is somewhat more intense (for want of a better phrase) than with other royal families.

There has to be some control and the only way to manage that is for the control to come from the BRF themselves. It's a shame but there you have it, I can't see it changing.
I think if the media respects their privacy the royal family would deb more willing to sit for photoshoots etc. But it's sad to see that the press isn't willing to do so. The BRF is one of the most followed royal families therefore no wonder the press try anything for a picture.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Don't understand your point.

If the BRF was more open with the press, like the European royals they would have so much less hassle from them in general. It would make everyone's life a lot easier.

Your point is valid, but what's not to understand about William maybe being completely traumatized by the press, given the circumstances of his mother's death?

This is like not understanding why someone who lost an arm to a surgical complication might be afraid of another hospital stay.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

I actually think the relationship between the British royals and media are starting to heal. The previous pictures of Prince George released by Kensington Palace, was said to be done to thank the media for respecting the Cambridge's privacy. Also, it helps that the royals legal steps have made it known that invasion of their privacy won't be tolerated. Things have changed since the days of when the Wales's were hounded by the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Your point is valid, but what's not to understand about William maybe being completely traumatized by the press, given the circumstances of his mother's death?

This is like not understanding why someone who lost an arm to a surgical complication might be afraid of another hospital stay.
I think William's professional relationship with the media has improved a bit. Of course he was rightfully upset over the private pictures of he and Catherine's french vacation, but since then, things seems to have gone okay for them. I think he's slowly coming around to understand that he's a future King and his family public appearances matter. The other European royals understand that, but William is coming around to it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not just William though that has this attitude towards the press. The British press had it all at one time and it abused the Royals. Hacked their phones and chased them down the street. The Royals don't owe the press anything.

William and Kate are the focus of attention right now but don't think for a minute Harry won't be just as protective of his family when the time comes.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think it's a lot easier to grow up as a royal in Sweden, or anywhere else, than it is in Britain.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I personally think that the release to the press was a great idea and a good reminder that the least the press can give the family (any member of the royal family) privacy on their private grounds/homes.
Yes. Unless you remind the press that you expect privacy when at your own home they are not likely to follow those requests.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes. Unless you remind the press that you expect privacy when at your own home they are not likely to follow those requests.
Yes, I think it was a good thing just to remind the press to respect the royals privacy on the royal estates. Now, that being said, it's up to the royals to give a little. Next, we'll get an official picture of Princess Charlotte, and a family picture. It have to be a give and take situation.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS