The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

'William loves lasagne' RAF chef says as he reveals Duke of Cambridge's favourite foods | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for sharing the article. However I was taken aback by some of the more "interesting" comments on the article. (Yes I did take into consideration that this was a Daily Mail piece.) Not sure how a former MoD chef advertising his new business is allegedly involved in a KP backed conspiracy to promote one brother over another??

Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

The Comments are bizarre but the same thing happens on Twitter. They think there is this conspiracy against Harry to make him look bad. As a collective they're some of the most insecure royal watchers.

There is no need to promote William because he will be king by virtue of being first born.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
Prince William faces criticism after using a Queen's Flight helicopter to fly 80 miles from Highgrove to Windsor yesterday. Via @emynash

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
The TaxPayers' Alliance criticised William's helicopter flight, estimated to cost the public £8,000, and urged the Windsors to make savings.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2015, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I am waiting for some to excuse him again this time... It will be interesting to read justifications
Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

More than just cost is factored in. According the Sovereign Grant Act the following factors are used to determine the mode of royal travel.

How is the mode of travel decided?

• Safety
  • Security
  • Value for money
  • Length of journey
  • Transport which is consistent with the requirement and dignity of occasion taking into account whether the aircraft landing site is in the public eye
  • Which represents the most effective use of the Royal Family’s time
  • And which minimises disruption to others.

The article states William flew from Highgrove to Windsor for an event marking the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta.
The chopper later flew the Duke of Cambridge to Prince Charles's Gloucestershire home from Berkshire.

Without knowing every detail it doesn't seem like he abused anything.

The other thing to remember is the Queen's Flight is already factored into the budget at the beginning of each fiscal year. The costs come out of the Sovereign Grant. This isn't 'new' money being used.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William used official helicopter to go to Magna Carta anniversary event | Daily Mail Online

Well well
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

There are 2 helicopters leased by the royal family to use to get to around to official events and for the Queen to travel between residences. That money is spent already from the Sovereign Grant whether the helicopter is used or not.

Just because Google Maps says it takes 90 minutes that doesn't mean it will take 90 minutes when you factor traffic, road work and accidents. One accident somewhere can easily back up a highway for hours so there goes the Royal event that people are waiting at and your royal is stuck on the highway which is a safety concern.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Serene Highness

So, the Tax Payers' Alliance is complaining about money that's already spent? They're bringing this up with William because they couldn't get away with it with the Queen (because of her age) or with Charles (because of his position as the heir and because of his environmental bona fides).
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Not at all. It seems to me that William gets always away with this kind of things and that other members of the family get bashed instead!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

All the royals use the helicopter. The Queen most likely used to go to Wales last week. Harry to Staffordshire from London also probably used it last week too. I never have seen the Queen be criticized for using the helicopter. Charles gets criticized it for because he preaches Eco awareness and being green so taking a helicopter instead a of electric car will get him bashed.

William took it to a royal engagement not Glastonbury. Anne and Tim were also going to the same event. They could have tagged along too if they were at Gatcome which isn't far from Highgrove. Also William is probably banned for security reasons from sharing transport with his father so he can't carpool with him.

Plus the 8000 spend by a normal person to charter a helicopter isn't what the royals are paying for it because they leased it.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Last year the Queen agreed a 2nd helicopter and the media said it was for William's use. He's now used it going from base to a royal engagement and back again.

No big deal.

BUT the report on royal finances is due and media/interested factions are gearing up for it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What I believe is misleading is that they're focusing the "blame" on William for using the helicopter. I seriously doubt that William can just call up and order a helicopter for a flight. As he was headed to an official royal engagement, it most likely was approved by the Queen of which mode of transport would be used. One thing about this family and official royal engagements is that they're planned out meticulously in advance to arrange not only security, but transport to and from.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^I agree. With so many family members who could have need of the helicopter, there are so many factors to consider like the ones posted above by Rudolph. This would have been approved beforehand.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it seems like his used of the helicopter was to make sure he made it to the planned engagement with The Queen and for the Order of the Garter ceremony. We now know William, Catherine and the kids were based at Highgrove for the weekend.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
So, the Tax Payers' Alliance is complaining about money that's already spent?
Yes, they complain about everything. In January they criticized some open windows at Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Buckingham Palace officials were criticised last night for leaving 25 windows open in the historic building during one of the coldest days of the year.

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said some of the windows on the top floor were left open during redecorating and maintenance work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Last year the Queen agreed a 2nd helicopter and the media said it was for William's use. He's now used it going from base to a royal engagement and back again.

No big deal.
We must remember that the media forgets very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
BUT the report on royal finances is due and media/interested factions are gearing up for it.
You're right, and I can't wait for the criticism.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Sure they would rather him be late!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The 2nd Helicopter wasn't for William. It was for all the royals. The press just made it out to be just William.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

One is not amused about the paparazzi on board
Prince William flies Ryanair to Scotland for his air ambulance training* | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Probably a passanger. And also , could just be a split second expression, doesn't have to be a glare.