The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I love that you stated that you saw William as a nerd. He, to me. is mild mannered while his brother Harry is passionate. Neither one of these is a flaw but designates one from the other and I think the brothers balance each other out. They both though have the same basics at heart, they just both express it differently.

If and when William does become King, Id bet my last donut (and I'm guarding my donuts carefullly these days) that William will have a strong support system behind him. George VI had Elizabath.. William has his love and his best friend.

I made that connection because George VI and Elizabeth were thrown into a world they weren't really expecting to be in. Philip and Elizabeth were a couple that adapted royally to their roles and its astounding. With William, being raised to KNOW he'll be King some day, he'll have Harry to remind him its not all that bad. We've seen for ourselves how they banter each other through the press even.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think a fair bit of it has to do with the fairy tale perception of a prince...I hope he is though! And there's no indication that he's not.
The article did make me think about everyday William things like... Does he rinse the egg bits off his plate or does he let them dry and stick to the plate? Does he put the seat down on the toilet? Who controls the TV remote in their house, or do they share? Does he ignore calls to his mobile to suit his whim? These are the small polite things we will never know about.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
The article did make me think about everyday William things like... Does he rinse the egg bits off his plate or does he let them dry and stick to the plate? Does he put the seat down on the toilet? Who controls the TV remote in their house, or do they share? Does he ignore calls to his mobile to suit his whim? These are the small polite things we will never know about.
I think he does all of those things! And i'm sure if we knew about it it'd be another thing the press would criticise him about.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
OK, so lets talk about the article. I'll start by saying I think The Duke of Cambridge is astute, generally a nice guy with good manners. If one stays away from invasions of his family privacy he will treat you nicely, it appears. It seems his co-workers like him well enough - which is one of my tests for sizing people up. Dogs also seem to like him.

That said, doesn't this article actually mean that 1000 women have the image of William as the most gentlemanly person? And doesn't that mean the media (press, BP, SJP, his own staff, etc.) has been most adept at showing him to us in this light?

None of us really know William. We know what we read and we evaluate pictures of him in the media. We know he supports charities. We can see that is cute, looks great in black or white ties and in full military dress. In his baggy flight suit we forgive that he looks lumpy because he is playing the role of a hero on call. We've watched him encourage children, play polo and hold an umbrella over his wife's head at premiers.

So the fact that Wills has been named in the polls as most gentlemanly is not much of a surprise. Some gardener in Brighton is probably the most gentlemanly person in Britain - be he does not get the press that William does.
I happen to agree with this. We see the 'William at work' so to speak, so of course he'll be polite, courteous and kind. Are those things part of his persona when off the camera? I'd say most likely, because he strikes me as someone who is very sincere. I think it'd be more fair to rate him after meeting him and getting to spend some time with William the person, rather than William the Duke of Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's almost like when People Magazine names their Sexiest Man of The Year or The Most Beautiful Women of the Year. It's obvious they will go with someone who very well known in the media.

From what I have seen of William over the years, he do seem like a very nice guy and also a bit of a nerd, imo. I can tell he loves his wife and is proud of her. I can also tell he's a family man and good friend. That's just my opinion as a person who's on the outside looking in. I'm sure those who knows him much more personally, would sum him up differently but also nicely.
This made me smile, because I happen to be one of the few who thinks that nerdy guys are rather interesting to spend time with. However, being a nerd doesn't make one a gentleman, and vise versa. I think William is one of those few who was able to be both (or so it appears when reading articles, looking at photos and watching videos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think a fair bit of it has to do with the fairy tale perception of a prince, and the fact that William has so carefully controlled his public image. When someone is basically a blank slate- when you don't really know who they are- it's sometimes very easy to project who you want them to be onto them.

Does that make sense? I'm sure William is a nice guy (as long as you don't violate his privacy or that of his family) but you're right- I doubt anyone really knows enough about him to determine that he's a gentleman in his private life.

I hope he is though! And there's no indication that he's not.
Another brilliant post . I think so many of us tend to perceive a person in a light that makes the said person relatable to us. If we relate to the person, than it's easy to like him/her without ever having a meeting. The press makes that process oh, so easy, since most of the time, William receives very good attention from the news sources, and gives little to no reason for bad press. Like you, I hope that when off the job(s), he's as much of a gentleman as when he's 'on', so to speak. He strikes me as someone who is sincere, but as we know, appearances can be very deceiving.

Quote:
He's human, so I'm sure he does most, if not all of those things (or maybe he's an exception and doesn't do any of them). You did paint a rather funny mental image of Wills and Kate, sitting on the couch, and fighting over the remote during commercial breaks during an episode of 'Downton Abbey' .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Majesty

Also, I think William have to be nice, kind, loving and gentle in order to keep a beautiful woman like Catherine by his side all these years. She don't look like the type that would just put up with anything. You have to straighten up and fly right to be with her.

I think he's also funny. I think he makes her laugh a lot.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Also, I think William have to be nice, kind, loving and gentle in order to keep a beautiful woman like Catherine by his side all these years. She don't look like the type that would just put up with anything. You have to straighten up and fly right to be with her.

I think he's also funny. I think he makes her laugh a lot.
I get the impression that Catherine is a very strong-willed and independent woman, who definitely knows what she wants, and how she wants it. I think William more than likely had to earn her respect and love. You can see that this couple respects and loves each other. They've been together for over a decade, and that has probably taught a great deal about the other's personal habits, personality, etc.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I get the impression that Catherine is a very strong-willed and independent woman, who definitely knows what she wants, and how she wants it. I think William more than likely had to earn her respect and love. You can see that this couple respects and loves each other. They've been together for over a decade, and that has probably taught a great deal about the other's personal habits, personality, etc.
I seem to recall when someone once told her she was lucky to be dating him, she replied he was lucky to be dating her. If this is a true story, it confirms she has her head on straight and was never in awe of his position in life.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Gentry

'Big Willy': Unedited version of Prince William photo posted on his website reveals cheeky nickname on mug at RAF base

Ok, this is kind of funny. I wonder where did Daily Mail find the uncropped picture.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
wonder where did Daily Mail find the uncropped picture.
Pictures used in the article are from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's website.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
'Big Willy': Unedited version of Prince William photo posted on his website reveals cheeky nickname on mug at RAF base

Ok, this is kind of funny. I wonder where did Daily Mail find the uncropped picture.
I have a feeling that William enjoys this side of RAF SAR life. Considering the setting and circumstances in which the squadrons work there would need to be trust, camaraderie and respect for each member of the team in order for it to function. Also since part of their shift would involve some down time it is likely they've all developed a friendly relationship.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Honestly DM makes me want to laugh with this one. Like so what I'm a religious person but I don't go to church every Sunday
Prince William only go to church a 'handful' of times a year | Mail Online
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Honestly DM makes me want to laugh with this one. Like so what I'm a religious person but I don't go to church every Sunday
This is another way to show evidence of the fact that it's indeed a slow news period in regards to the royals. I was always under the impression that being a good Christian and attending church on weekly basis have nothing to do with each other. I'm sure William and Catherine do what they need to do in order to be good people, and from what I'm seeing, they're doing an excellent job.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

It's hard to have a go at a pregnant woman, so now it's his turn. Slow news indeed

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Does the COE do televised services as churches in the US do on Sundays? Perhaps the Duke is Tivo-ing service so he can watch it after his on call shifts.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Does the COE do televised services as churches in the US do on Sundays? Perhaps the Duke is Tivo-ing service so he can watch it after his on call shifts.
The more I think about it, with Will and Kate both being pretty astute people, they probably realize that with the level of press coverage they get even going out for a burger, perhaps they feel that if they were to attend a religious service of worship at a specific location each week, there would be more people there to gawk and stare at them than what the service is intended for.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

With respect, I doubt very much that's the reason; the Queen, Prince Charles and all the others have managed to attend services quite regularly without daily reports. What's more, William and Kate could have requested the press to abstain from taking their pictures during what very clearly would have been private functions - and we know the couple isn't shy on setting rules for the press.

Mind you, I'm not saying non-regular attendance of a Church is necessarily a show of how religious they are or aren't.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Courtier

I think of this generation it seems the church going habits kick in more when there are small children and the family is in a routine. You get out of the habit when you go off to college and then are leading a 'single' life.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Majesty

We really don't know everything this couple do and they may attend church on Sundays without no one really knowing about it.

I don't think you have to attend church every Sunday to prove you're good with the big guy in the sky. I think it's good to just take the almighty or whomever you worship with you everywhere you go and everything will be okay. That's just my take on it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

With respect, I doubt very much that's the reason; the Queen, Prince Charles and all the others have managed to attend services quite regularly without daily reports. What's more, William and Kate could have requested the press to abstain from taking their pictures during what very clearly would have been private functions - and we know the couple isn't shy on setting rules for the press.
Except that didn't seem to work for them on Christmas morning when they were photographed leaving the church. And it didn't work for them when someone with a long-range lens took pictures of them on their honeymoon, or even just walking on the beach with their dog. I won't mention those photos in France. They can request privacy, but sadly for them, there will always be those who don't honor the request.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Gentry

Pretty rude of Daily Mail to speculate someone's else religious belief IMO