The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are the options. Don't go at all and snub your friends wedding. Kate goes with him and they leave the children behind or the entire family travels to Africa.

This is the best scenario imo. Kate stays with the children, William goes to the wedding and returns for Easter Sunday

William is also getting to see work done by Tusk and United for Wildlife, so it's a very productive four days

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Here are the options. Don't go at all and snub your friends wedding. Kate goes with him and they leave the children behind or the entire family travels to Africa.

This is the best scenario imo. Kate stays with the children, William goes to the wedding and returns for Easter Sunday

William is also getting to see work done by Tusk and United for Wildlife, so it's a very productive four days
Lord...you let me go to a girl's wedding way in Africa without my wife (if I had one) and there would be some smoke in the city!!!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Yeah but we are regular folk Dman. This can't be a surprise to Kate when these situations come up.

LaRae
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Lord...you let me go to a girl's wedding way in Africa without my wife (if I had one) and there would be some smoke in the city!!!
I have plenty of female friends. We hangout all the time. I've gone to their weddings too

I didn't realise just how much of a grown-up I am lol. An adult able to have adult friendships. Who would have thought
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I have plenty of female friends. We hangout all the time. I've gone to their weddings too

I didn't realise just how much of a grown-up I am lol. An adult able to have adult friendships. Who would have thought
Yeah, we can have female friends and attend their weddings, but things change once we settle down and get married. It's not the best move to leave one's family behind by going to a wedding of a friend in Africa that was (media rumored to be an ex). The optics don't look right, although we know it's all innocent.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

Oh my goodness. So, first, he doesn't work enough, probably because his family is letting him have the time to raise his family. But everyone thinks he's work shy.

Then it turns out that when he does sneak in a work engagement - for animal conservation meetings at a pretty high level! - in the middle of a personal visit, he's lambasted for neglecting his family and pulling everything for PR purposes?

Two immediate things jump to mind: First of all, it seems that none of these royals can ever do anything right.

Secondly, correlation does not indicate causation. That is, just because things happen near each other in time doesn't mean they are related in cause.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

There are some pretty clear reasons why he is getting bad press for trip

1. This is not a tour. This is not a business trip. He is flying to attend a friend's wedding. And of course all the junk about her being an 'ex' doesn't help.

2. He is 'working'? Okay yes, he is doing some meetings there. But maybe the British people wonder 'why does our British prince have to go to a foreign country to work? Why is he not attending events in the UK?' Yes, people want to see him do engagements. They want to see him do engagements in the UK. He is so interested in conservation, I am sure there are plenty of conservation projects in the UK. Not saying poaching is not important and good on him for being involved, but maybe he can focus some attention at home.

3. We have been lambasted with 'he is a family man.' He cant go to BAFTA? He is home with his kids. He can't go to engagements? He is home with his family. But oops a wedding comes up and suddenly he is off to Africa.

He gets home what time Easter Sunday? Miss the easter eggs and likely easter lunch with his kids. Maybe tuck Charlotte in to bed before she sleeps.

The reality is if they are going to try and sell Will as a 'family man' and not simply work shy they need to stop doing such a shotty PR job.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duke of Cambridge

If he stayed home, there would have been Henpecked Wills as Kate puts foot down headlines, if they both go then it's the abandoned kids story. It's probably not feasible to take the kids. I would think you would need additional shots and stuff that may not be good for a small child like Charlotte.

They have both gone to weddings on their own. Kate met the Queen for the first time at Peter's wedding with William in Africa for Jecca's brother. She didn't dump his butt but married him.

As for Easter, Pippa will borrow the bunny costume from the fun run the other day. Uncle James will wear it scare the crap out of George and Charlotte and they will both forget Daddy wasn't there 😉

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

2. He is 'working'? Okay yes, he is doing some meetings there. But maybe the British people wonder 'why does our British prince have to go to a foreign country to work? Why is he not attending events in the UK?' Yes, people want to see him do engagements. They want to see him do engagements in the UK. He is so interested in conservation, I am sure there are plenty of conservation projects in the UK. Not saying poaching is not important and good on him for being involved, but maybe he can focus some attention at home.

3. We have been lambasted with 'he is a family man.' He cant go to BAFTA? He is home with his kids. He can't go to engagements? He is home with his family. But oops a wedding comes up and suddenly he is off to Africa.

2. Are they asking the same questions to Harry, who is in Nepal? Or Charles who just came back from the Balkans? Why is it only William who isn't allowed to do engagements outside the UK? I doubt the British public are as hypocritical as you portray them.

3. When did William say he couldn't go to the BAFTA's because he has children? Everything I've read said William is involved with the charity side of BAFTA, and thus he attends their charities Forums, like he did last October. Just because the tabloids want to see him on the red carpet, so they can claim he was flirting with Keira Knightly, doesn't mean that's his actual role.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There are some pretty clear reasons why he is getting bad press for trip

1. This is not a tour. This is not a business trip. He is flying to attend a friend's wedding. And of course all the junk about her being an 'ex' doesn't help.

He gets home what time Easter Sunday? Miss the easter eggs and likely easter lunch with his kids. Maybe tuck Charlotte in to bed before she sleeps.

The reality is if they are going to try and sell Will as a 'family man' and not simply work shy they need to stop doing such a shotty PR job.

Reason 2 - Shouldn't this also apply to Harry who is Nepal working and spent a good portion of 2015 not in the UK. However, the press isn't after Harry but William.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Gentry

This isn't the first overseas wedding that Will has gone to without his wife and kids. The last one didn't get near the criticism. Anyone who thinks that there is some thing going on between Will and Jecca are a lot more suspicious than me. I find it hard to believe that Jecca's fiancé and Wills wife would allow such a public appearance if there was something happening. I think it is all in the imagination of certain royal watchers.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He is 'working'? Okay yes, he is doing some meetings there. But maybe the British people wonder 'why does our British prince have to go to a foreign country to work? Why is he not attending events in the UK?' Yes, people want to see him do engagements. They want to see him do engagements in the UK. He is so interested in conservation, I am sure there are plenty of conservation projects in the UK. Not saying poaching is not important and good on him for being involved, but maybe he can focus some attention at home.
I know you don't like William but it's only four days. He will be back in time for Easter

On another thread you were praising Harry for staying in Nepal for a week to build a house.

Well there are thousands of flood damaged houses in the UK that need rebuilding, are the British people wondering why Harry isn't helping out at home?

As has been pointed out, no matter what William does, the people intent on criticising him, will criticise. It's just a fact of life
Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

its just Williams turn.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
This isn't the first overseas wedding that Will has gone to without his wife and kids. The last one didn't get near the criticism. Anyone who thinks that there is some thing going on between Will and Jecca are a lot more suspicious than me. I find it hard to believe that Jecca's fiancé and Wills wife would allow such a public appearance if there was something happening. I think it is all in the imagination of certain royal watchers.
That's because Harry also traveled to the USA for Guy Pelly's wedding. If royal watchers criticized William too severely for that, they would also have to level some criticism at Harry, too. As we know the latter must never happen.

I will say, I'm a bit sad we didn't get stories about William abandoning his wife and kids as he attempted to woo back his long-lost-love, Guy Pelly, on his wedding day. Then William ditched his Granny's Christmas party so he could go to the memorial service of Guy's father. Once again placing his loyalty to Guy over that of his own family.

Prince Consort Guy, has a nice ring to it.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Gentry

:) I was thinking the same that the presence of Harry was the reason Will didn't get the criticism last time. Plus it was right after a very successful trip to Aus/NZ which would have made potential critics seem rather foolish
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yea, this all seems pretty normal to me. My (very soon to be) husband has a good friend who got married to her husband last year and I couldn't go because I had to work.

Being a normal human, I didn't see any reason my work schedule should keep my partner from seeing his long time friends

There is literally nothing wrong with anything William is doing here.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Reason 2 - Shouldn't this also apply to Harry who is Nepal working and spent a good portion of 2015 not in the UK. However, the press isn't after Harry but William.

Harry is in Nepal on a royal tour promoting British Nepalese relations. And building schools.

vs

William has flown to Africa to attend a luxury wedding of a rich friend.

Not hard to see how why its so easy for the media to put a bad spin on Will. He may be attending Tusk events there too but the media isn't advertising that now are they?

Quote:
I know you don't like William but it's only four days. He will be back in time for Easter

On another thread you were praising Harry for staying in Nepal for a week to build a house.

Well there are thousands of flood damaged houses in the UK that need rebuilding, are the British people wondering why Harry isn't helping out at home?

As has been pointed out, no matter what William does, the people intent on criticising him, will criticise. It's just a fact of life
Just because I don't worship him doesn't mean I don't like William.

I am talking about the media and how they spin stories. Plain and simple. And I am sorry but I refuse to play ostrich and believe people will ignore these stories. 'It's just foreigners complaining in the comments'. I am sorry but people need to wake up. The bad PR is getting worse and worse. They either need to change how they act or at least get better PR.

Harry was already in Nepal. He was there on a royal tour. William misses big events for his local patronages but flies around the world for his foreign ones. Can you imagine if Harry missed the Invictus games or a big event for it? Yet people say 'Oh who cares Will didn't attend BAFTA,it was only one event, and its just a party. Its more important he is home with his family.' He is patron of BAFTA, he can fly to Africa for Tusk but he cant attend BAFTA"s main event in London???

Again all cannon fodder. Love Will or hate him, he is playing a game with the media and losing it badly.

And for the record I don't love or hate William. I am commenting on his IMAGE and the media spin.

As for back for Easter??? What maybe tea time before the kids go to bed. He is flying back Sunday. Is he there for Charlotte and George for the easter bunny? For church? For lunch? Just because his body will physically be back in the Uk before the holiday is over, doesn't mean he is home for the holiday.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Not hard to see how why its so easy for the media to put a bad spin on Will. He may be attending Tusk events there too but the media isn't advertising that now are they?

Yet people say 'Oh who cares Will didn't attend BAFTA,it was only one event, and its just a party. Its more important he is home with his family.' He is patron of BAFTA, he can fly to Africa for Tusk but he cant attend BAFTA"s main event in London???

When Harry went to Abu Dhabi to play a polo match for Sentebale, while Abu Dhabi was also hosting the F1 world championship that Harry was excited to attend as a megafan, didn't you find the timing of the polo match fishy and convenient? That after the polo match and auto racing, he then spent the weekend there partying at clubs and luxury yachts. Did you evaluate that work/pleasure trip as being more honorable than William flying to Africa for Tusk Trust and a longtime friends weddings? Since you seem to have a problem with royals combining private interests with official trips. I’m asking because if I were to look up the posts from that trip, would I find a post of you criticizing Harry like you are doing with William?

Also, You seem to be misdirected about this BAFTA situation. William is involved with their charity work, which is completely different to their awards show. Hence, William shows up at the former and rarely the latter. I really suggest you look at the link and see all the charity projects that William works with BAFTA.
President | BAFTA

It might not be glamorous enough for your taste, but BAFTA’s ‘Prince William Scholarships’, and ‘Give Something Back’ - which William launched, is a heck of a lot more impressive than wearing a tux on a red carpet. I much rather see him mingle with children at the BAFTA charities forum, and at BAFTA’s young games designers summit, than see him swig champagne with Hugh Grant.

On one hand you blast William for having rich friends like the Craigs, but then you criticize him for embracing the unglamorous side of the BAFTAs, instead of hobnobbing it with celebrities, that have nothing to do with the charity. Mixed messages...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Harry is in Nepal on a royal tour promoting British Nepalese relations. And building schools.

vs

I am talking about the media and how they spin stories. Plain and simple. And I am sorry but I refuse to play ostrich and believe people will ignore these stories. 'It's just foreigners complaining in the comments'. I am sorry but people need to wake up. The bad PR is getting worse and worse. They either need to change how they act or at least get better PR.

Harry was already in Nepal. He was there on a royal tour. William misses big events for his local patronages but flies around the world for his foreign ones. Can you imagine if Harry missed the Invictus games or a big event for it? Yet people say 'Oh who cares Will didn't attend BAFTA,it was only one event, and its just a party. Its more important he is home with his family.' He is patron of BAFTA, he can fly to Africa for Tusk but he cant attend BAFTA"s main event in London???

Again all cannon fodder. Love Will or hate him, he is playing a game with the media and losing it badly.

And for the record I don't love or hate William. I am commenting on his IMAGE and the media spin.

As for back for Easter??? What maybe tea time before the kids go to bed. He is flying back Sunday. Is he there for Charlotte and George for the easter bunny? For church? For lunch? Just because his body will physically be back in the Uk before the holiday is over, doesn't mean he is home for the holiday.
Y'know, all these comments about how Will should pay attention to his image and clean up his PR and watch what he does or doesn't do as it affects people's opinions makes me think that folks view him more as a politician than a Prince of the UK.

Totally different roles. One needs to popular opinion to keep their butts in office and influence the government proceedings. They depend on the constituents to support them.

The other doesn't do what he does for self gratification, money, free lunches or the adulation and admiration of the masses. If Harry was to decide to go into seclusion and settle with the Gurkhas in Nepal and William moved his family to the Andes to raise llamas, who do you think would take over their causes? Would anyone really volunteer to do what they do for free?

Just wondering.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I am talking about the media and how they spin stories.

So because of tabloid 'spin' it's better to miss the wedding of a dear friend?

Had William not gone the headline would read 'Jealous Kate keeps William at home' or 'Henpecked William' forbidden to attend friend's wedding'

And people would be on this thread saying how controlling Kate is. Again its criticism for the sake of criticism

As for Easter how do we know what time William is returning on Easter Sunday or what traditions the Cambridges keep?

I'm not sure Charlotte will know the difference between a 6 am egg hunt and a 10 am egg hunt, if they even do an egg hunt. We didn't when I was growing up. Everyone's traditions are different