The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the press. Being a private trip means that he is going for his own interests and purposes and that its not an official visit representing the Queen and the UK at the requests of the governments involved.
Yeah, I know and understand that. But this sentence: "At the start of his short visit to the country, on Thursday 24th March, the Duke of Cambridge will attend a meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta. The meeting is taking place at the request of Her Majesty's Government, " says it's on the request of the government. So it sounds like at least that meeting is in official capacity.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Yeah, I know and understand that. But this sentence: "At the start of his short visit to the country, on Thursday 24th March, the Duke of Cambridge will attend a meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta. The meeting is taking place at the request of Her Majesty's Government, " says it's on the request of the government. So it sounds like at least that meeting is in official capacity.
The meeting is official, but the rest is private. He's going to Jecca's wedding, but he's killing two birds with one stone. Support a good friend, but also do some work on conservation.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

It's a courtesy visit. Sort of like when he met Pres Obama during the NY trip. That trip wasn't a full official trip on the UK govt behalf either. It wasn't fully funded by the govt.

I imagine this sort of trip has to be run past the UK foreign office to see if it's safe and okay to go. It's not all private personal like skiing in France was.

It's like when Harry went to Lesotho prior to the SA tour. He did it as the patron/founder of Sentebale. William is there as Tusk/United for Wildlife patron/Pres. Private with activities that are official events in the CC. Just not paid for by UK gov unlike the tour in India/Bhutan.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Some tweets from the President of Kenya

Uhuru Kenyatta ‏@UKenyatta
I have this morning met Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, who called on me at State House.

Uhuru Kenyatta ‏@UKenyatta
He is in the country to see the longstanding conservation & anti-poaching initiatives being supported by Tusk Trust.

Uhuru Kenyatta @UKenyatta
Our deliberations revolved around conservation, security and defence.

https://twitter.com/UKenyatta/status/712912644076920833
Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's a courtesy visit. Sort of like when he met Pres Obama during the NY trip. That trip wasn't a full official trip on the UK govt behalf either. It wasn't fully funded by the govt.

I imagine this sort of trip has to be run past the UK foreign office to see if it's safe and okay to go. It's not all private personal like skiing in France was.

It's like when Harry went to Lesotho prior to the SA tour. He did it as the patron/founder of Sentebale. William is there as Tusk/United for Wildlife patron/Pres. Private with activities that are official events in the CC. Just not paid for by UK gov unlike the tour in India/Bhutan.

Makes sense :)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
He will, however, take with him at least three tax-payer funded Scotland Yard police protection officers.
The UK press is really starting to make me angry and yes I know it is the Daily Fail, but they are getting worse. And does Rebecca English and her ridiculous newspaper thinks that he should have traveled without protection? No, they don't. They write this just to stir things up and turn people against William.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Aristocracy

if i was invited to as many weddings as them a year i wouldn't go either...also, it would be different if their kids were older and they could bring them...but they probably think that they are too young right now...also i would like to think paps will leave them alone...but that would be a miracle...so good luck to her on trying to get privacy...if they see paps feed them to some animals on the property...lmao.

and to the people who create the headlines for daily mail..you know better its the duke and duchess of cambridge..lazy people.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

No protected Royal goes anywhere with their RPOs. Harry's RPOs are in Nepal while Harry stays extra days just they went to Lesotho with him for Sentabale. George's goes to nursery school with him. That's just part of the cost of protection someone 24/7. The RPOs have to sleep and have off time that's why you need multiples.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With the heightened alert levels, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they beefed up all the security for the royal family especially traveling overseas.

If the Daily Fail feels that its too much and a "burden" on the people, they're less intelligent than I would give them credit for.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems natural to me that William is going to attend Jecca's wedding; they have always been very close. He is already in Kenya right now for another commitment. Maybe he has seized this opportunity with both hands? ;-)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Look at the security surrounding a US president, 3 police officers are a drop in the bucket in comparison. Those RPOs would have been with William in Kenya or if he was in Buckleberry having Easter with the Middletons. The Kenyans are probably providing security too like NYPD and US Secret Service did when the Cambridges went to NYC.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Aristocracy

I think we already know...how the media will play this...he will be criticized no matter what...i already see articles titled...william will miss Charlotte's first Easter because of the wedding...meanwhile they don't know if he plans on taking a late night flight back on saturday to be home in time for the kids waking up.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
I think we already know...how the media will play this...he will be criticized no matter what...i already see articles titled...william will miss Charlotte's first Easter because of the wedding...meanwhile they don't know if he plans on taking a late night flight back on saturday to be home in time for the kids waking up.
Shall we all take bets on this?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Shall we all take bets on this?
it doesn't really matter. They can celebrate easter a few days late or early. The only one who will remember it are the adults, and George will like it. But he doesn't care if it's on easter or a few days later. I think going to a longtime, close friends wedding is something most people try to prioritize since it hopefully happens only once in that persons life.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

The media will have a little fun with this story. William going to Jecca's wedding is the story.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Aristocracy

I would be shocked if she actually gets privacy...you know the paps will try to get pics...she wouldve been better off not letting the wedding date get leaked...then should wouldn't have had to worry ...i dont really blame that on her though...dailymail apparently thought the wedding date of a private citizen was newsworthy
Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Her family owns a large nature preserve. If you are a photographer are you really going to hide in the bushes with wild animals running around plus the preserve would have security measures in place to protect the animals from poachers.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

One can hope the media won't be a bother, but once she extended an invite to William, she invited the media presence too. Also, William deciding to go, invited the headlines.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think we see anything more than what we see if the wedding was in the UK probably less coverage due to the remote location compared to weddings attended in the UK by the younger royals.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The preserve is 55.000 acres so that's pretty big. There are lots of gun-toting rangers around. Not exactly the place paparazzi wants to hang out