The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Courtier

Sun Lion, Thanks for the chicken lesson :) It is just hen and rooster here in the US.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just read on Twitter.

BREAKING: Prince George will not accompany his parents on their upcoming tour.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Courtier

Check your calendar- It's April 1.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Check your calendar- It's April 1.
Oh, I've forgotten about this.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Courtier

The chooks (we just call them chickens or to be age/gender specific pullets, hens, jakes, roosters) here in the U.S. do not willingly get into water ...ducks and geese do!

LaRae
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Just read on Twitter.

BREAKING: Prince George will not accompany his parents on their upcoming tour.
Well I haven't seen one all day, they managed to get one in just before 12pm.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kate Middleton spotted buying baby clothes for Prince George
Kate Middleton was spotted shopping in GAP before royal tour - hellomagazine.com
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Courtier

Duchess of Cambridge browses baby clothes in Gap ahead of tour to Australia | Mail Online
Here what she is said to have bought
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Majesty

I love the button-down shirt onsie. Very smart, and would look cute with jeans, shorts, or dress slacks. Boy, little George will be touring in style. Can't wait to see.

Sent from my SM-N900T using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
As casual and as unconcerned about Lupo's nearness the Cambridges look, I would bet this is not the first time George and Lupo have been that close face-to-face. I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs adjust to, accept, and even love babies far more often than not.
I quite agree. My dogs are always more gentle with children. I kind of thought Lupo was saying "oh man, that kid's going to try and eat my nose again".
All joking aside, spaniels are a pretty sweet natured breed.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Nobility

I agree. Cockers are amazing. I grew up with one and I used to dress him up, put his legs in bandages, etc. Poor dog just let it all happen... 😁
Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I quite agree. My dogs are always more gentle with children. I kind of thought Lupo was saying "oh man, that kid's going to try and eat my nose again".
All joking aside, spaniels are a pretty sweet natured breed.
With all due respect, emergency room physicians probably hear that all the time from distraught parents. Any veterinarian will tell you that there are probably hundreds of thousands of dogs who live with babies without incident, but there can also be problems.

It is dangerous to leave a baby alone with a dog. A baby can unwittingly hurt a dog by pulling on a tail or ear or grabbing skin. The dog will naturally snap at someone who is hurting him. They don't have to be vicious to protect themselves.

It looked like Lupo was unhappy in the picture but that was probably because William had him boxed in. He may have been looking to George for help. We don't know how long he sat there.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm definitely not saying leave Lupo or any dog alone with small children. I was just going by that moment when the picture was taken.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

While I agree with the argument that "dogs can hurt babies" and "it doesn't hurt to be cautious," people are overlooking some things.

1. This is not a picture of just George and Lupo. George has not been left unattended with a dog.

2. William and Catherine very likely know their dog well enough to know if he's okay being close to George. At this point, if they're letting Lupo be that close then he's likely pretty good with George (and really, from what we've seen in the past, Lupo looks like he's a pretty calm and obedient dog).

3. Even assuming Lupo isn't great with George, William is sitting with his arm around Lupo, boxing the dog off and likely restraining him at least partially. He is very much in a position to pull Lupo back, if there is any sign that the situation could become dangerous for George - and given as Lupo is the family dog, it's not likely that he's just going to snap and do any harm to George without any warning.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It is dangerous to leave a baby alone with a dog. A baby can unwittingly hurt a dog by pulling on a tail or ear or grabbing skin. The dog will naturally snap at someone who is hurting him. They don't have to be vicious to protect themselves.
Very possibly (or probably), the Cambridges have this kind of thing under control. I'm always surprised at parents who don't teach their children not to pull the dog's (or cat's) ears or tail or skin. We teach our children not to touch a hot stove, why not teach them the correct way to approach an animal?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
While I agree with the argument that "dogs can hurt babies" and "it doesn't hurt to be cautious," people are overlooking some things.

1. This is not a picture of just George and Lupo. George has not been left unattended with a dog.

2. William and Catherine very likely know their dog well enough to know if he's okay being close to George. At this point, if they're letting Lupo be that close then he's likely pretty good with George (and really, from what we've seen in the past, Lupo looks like he's a pretty calm and obedient dog).

3. Even assuming Lupo isn't great with George, William is sitting with his arm around Lupo, boxing the dog off and likely restraining him at least partially. He is very much in a position to pull Lupo back, if there is any sign that the situation could become dangerous for George - and given as Lupo is the family dog, it's not likely that he's just going to snap and do any harm to George without any warning.
To clarify, I don't think George was in any danger in the photo. I have no doubt that William and Catherine are keeping a close eye on them when they are together. As I said, the dog looked unhappy, but not at George. I think he was ready to get the picture over with and resume his busy day.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very possibly (or probably), the Cambridges have this kind of thing under control. I'm always surprised at parents who don't teach their children not to pull the dog's (or cat's) ears or tail or skin. We teach our children not to touch a hot stove, why not teach them the correct way to approach an animal?
Couldn't agree more.

In fact it ought to be mandatory in kindergartens to teach the children how to read and approach an animal, especially animals that can hurt, i.e. cats and dogs.

Having said that, it's my experience that most dogs are very tolerant of the small (human) puppies in the pack. Much more tolerant than most humans would be - provided that it's the humans and not the dog that is pack-leader.
But if you don't teach the children how to behave in relation to a dog, especially older children, you may risk that the dog will dicipline the child like it would with any other half grown puppy.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You are right that it should be a priority starting around 4 or 5 years old. Unfortunately, it is hard to teach an 8 month old baby not to pull on things, animals or people.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
You are right that it should be a priority starting around 4 or 5 years old. Unfortunately, it is hard to teach an 8 month old baby not to pull on things, animals or people.

I kind of disagree. It is hard to teach them, yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I have a nephew who is 2 and he knows he's not allowed to hit or pull on his "puppies." He knows this because starting when he was about 7 or 8 months old, when he started to be a bit more interested in the dogs if he touched them in a "bad" way he was stopped, told to be "gentle," and shown the right way to touch them. Now he knows he's can pet/hug/kiss them, but he's not allowed to hit/poke/pull on them.

It's really important, because even though you can feel confident that your dogs aren't going to hurt your child (however wrong you may or may not be), you can't be confident that your child isn't going to see a strange dog and think that he/she can pull on them without repercussions.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Courtier

I'm not trying to be mean, but can we draw a line at ascribing emotions to animals in family portraits (I mean, unless the animal is being slaughtered as part of the portrait?).

Lupo looked like a dog in the picture.