General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Those full-time working mothers use daycare. They may not have a live-in nanny, or a one-on-one babysitter for part of the day, but unless they have a relative willing to take their child in while they work, then they must have daycare. Sad reality. :sad:

Because of the security issues with George, daycare isn't a option. The teenager down the street isn't one either. Mike and Carole both work and a stink would have been raised if Carole went on tour to watch George. So a full time nanny is needed for days like this when both W&K are away from London.

I would bet a majority of those working full time moms would stay at home if they could especially with kids as young as George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I would bet a majority of those working full time moms would stay at home if they could especially with kids as young as George.

Some women, like myself, chose to stay home and be full time moms. It has only been in the last 4-5 decades that the working mom has been in the majority over stay at home moms. Its become more of a necessity to have a two income family these days too.

He makes his own money, so really, who is going to complain?

Lots of people.
No matter how often it's explained that his income derives from the Duchy, some people will continue to insist that his lifestyle is funded by taxpayers!

My son was on the big side (10 lbs 9oz at birth and he stayed big) and the doctor told us not to worry if he hit some of the milestones late as he had more weight to move around. Well, he did roll over late and it took him until he was 9 months old to put himself fully into a sitting position. He then proceeded to learn how to stand, crawl, walk, run and climb in a time span of four days. FOUR DAYS!

I hope William and Catherine are ready for the joys and terrors of a "busy" boy! :lol: They're so much fun and can cause so many gray hairs. :ohmy:

That's like my little cousin who is a month older than George, he's big for his age as well (his mother and uncle were both 'big babies' as well, so it may be a family thing) and was late crawling - he only crawled for a little, and just went straight on to walking. My little cousin is also very active like George seems to be, and he loves the fact that he can walk now and apparently walks everywhere (he took his first proper steps when I was on holiday, so unfortunately I haven't seen him walking independently yet) by himself. He enjoys crawling and exploring my in aunt's house too. One thing he loves is her house phone - he accidentally called someone once!

That's like my little cousin who is a month older than George, he's big for his age as well (his mother and uncle were both 'big babies' as well, so it may be a family thing) and was late crawling - he only crawled for a little, and just went straight on to walking. My little cousin is also very active like George seems to be, and he loves the fact that he can walk now and apparently walks everywhere (he took his first proper steps when I was on holiday, so unfortunately I haven't seen him walking independently yet) by himself. He enjoys crawling and exploring my in aunt's house too. One thing he loves is her house phone - he accidentally called someone once!

So long as it was a local call...? I hope?

I wonder if Master Wiggle Worm has found any of the panic buttons yet? I seem to remember stories of the Earl of Ulster having great fun setting off the ones in The Gloucester's Apt at KP when he was wee lad, so...Only a matter of time for George.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

So long as it was a local call...? I hope?

I wonder if Master Wiggle Worm has found any of the panic buttons yet? I seem to remember stories of the Earl of Ulster having great fun setting off the ones in The Gloucester's Apt at KP when he was wee lad, so...Only a matter of time for George.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, I would imagine it was a local call, or at least I hope it was! :lol: I wasn't there at the time since it was a story that my aunt was telling me later on, so I don't know for sure.

The little story about the Earl of Ulster and panic buttons is quite funny, although I can imagine that it must have been worrying for his parents at the time. It seems as if being energetic as a baby and child runs in the family.

After £4.5m refit to make Kensington Palace fit for a prince, William and Kate head off to live in... Norfolk | Mail Online

In hindsight - someone said they choose the wrong apartment at KPalace.

Margaret's apartment is right next to the public road.
Diana's apartment was completely at the opposite end, and not accessible to any public roads.

i doubt they really chose it... it must be a case of which apartment was available and judged appropriate by the queen and her senior staff, although the final decision probably came down to them when they were told the options. or maybe william preferred not to take diana's appartment?

I'm going to be drawn and quartered for this probably but if this story is true and if Will and Kate are going to take the next two years and be part time royals while also carrying out part time engagements, I'm all for it. They've got plenty of years ahead of them where the life of normalcy will be ancient history and by then, George most likely will be attending school. This is also a perfect set up should Will and Kate decide to expand their family.

Its not like they're deserting their apartment in London, they just are going to be travelling between the two places and use the one that is best for where they need to be.

If Charles and the Queen have put their stamp of approval on this plan, then I'm all for it.

Then again, this is an article in the Daily Mail. Could just be blowing smoke.

That "public road" is gated, open only to KP traffic. They are at least 500 ft from public streets.

I think this is just a silly DM piece.
Most of the family has "homes" outside the city.
Bagshot, beloved Highgrove, Balmoral, Windsor (technically), Gatcombe, etc. are all non-London homes.
They have residences in London but prefer the country life. So how are the Cambridges any different?
Typical of the DM, they base an argument on an unsound premise, that living outside of London is unacceptable for the royal family. GAAAAK.

I'm going to be drawn and quartered for this probably but if this story is true and if Will and Kate are going to take the next two years and be part time royals while also carrying out part time engagements, I'm all for it. They've got plenty of years ahead of them where the life of normalcy will be ancient history and by then, George most likely will be attending school. This is also a perfect set up should Will and Kate decide to expand their family.

Its not like they're deserting their apartment in London, they just are going to be travelling between the two places and use the one that is best for where they need to be.

If Charles and the Queen have put their stamp of approval on this plan, then I'm all for it.

Then again, this is an article in the Daily Mail. Could just be blowing smoke.

No criticism from me. They have plenty of years of full time duty ahead.

This is not only a DM article (pinch of salt req.) but is written by KN ( sack loads needed). So the stuff about KP is probably iffy but if W is going to work as an EAAA pilot then where else were they going to live?

I expect that they will do p/t duties, have another child and hopefully be able to bring their children up with some degree of privacy.

i doubt they really chose it... it must be a case of which apartment was available and judged appropriate by the queen and her senior staff, although the final decision probably came down to them when they were told the options. or maybe william preferred not to take diana's appartment?
Agreed. It is possible that the only other apartments that were of the right size for a family were occupied by Gloucesters and Kents. William would have known of the pros-cons of his former home as well.

I just hope whatever job William takes on (we still don't know what job) it don't take them away from their official duties.

I just hope whatever job William takes on (we still don't know what job) it don't take them away from their official duties.

It will.

My gut, and it's only my opinion, royal peeps, no need to flip - is that it was fully the intention of the BRF that Kate and Will would move into KP, live there, take up royal duties (Will more than Kate at this juncture), and Amner would be like Highgrove was for the Wales; a weekend retreat.

The bottom line, however, is that Will prefers flying to royal duties. For reasons of their own, the BRF is willing to allow him his preference, and the game plan has changed.

I also believe the rumor that he will be flying in East Anglia - the press seems virtually certain it's true - that "source" must have been a very reliable one.

I agree the original plan was for them to move into KP and become full time royals. We'll have to wait for September to see if he takes the job.

I agree the original plan was for them to move into KP and become full time royals. We'll have to wait for September to see if he takes the job.

I am tending to believe otherwise. A year ago when the "transitional" year was announced, I think it was said that Will would be looking into an area of public service to get into. Although it may seem as Will really would be taking a job with EAAA (if he is) because he loves and misses flying, I do think that's a small part of it. When someone is hurt badly enough to be airlifted, the time is crucial and often times means the difference between life and death. To me, for Will, that's a much more rewarding service to his country and its citizens than sitting behind a desk somewhere.

Its only for two years and even that will be subject to change at the drop of a hat should the need arise. We'll know for sure once an official announcement is made.

I don't see anything wrong with William taking on a side job. Taking on the job full-time and decreasing their official duties just don't seem right and it caused some problems before. I just don't understand the need to go down that road again.

Yes, we have to wait for official word on what will happen and what job he'll take on but I just hope it don't involve less attention to their official duties. That won't be good.

I am tending to believe otherwise. A year ago when the "transitional" year was announced, I think it was said that Will would be looking into an area of public service to get into. Although it may seem as Will really would be taking a job with EAAA (if he is) because he loves and misses flying, I do think that's a small part of it. When someone is hurt badly enough to be airlifted, the time is crucial and often times means the difference between life and death. To me, for Will, that's a much more rewarding service to his country and its citizens than sitting behind a desk somewhere.

Its only for two years and even that will be subject to change at the drop of a hat should the need arise. We'll know for sure once an official announcement is made.

I'm pretty much of this opinion as well. I think that William is the type that needs to LOVE what he's doing, and right now that something will keep him out of the spotlight (which I'm sure he prefers as well). Now, some may not see that as service, but in my eyes helping people first hand is honorable (not to mention that it prepares him for his role as a monarch). Time will come when he'll have no choice but to take up royal duties full time, and it looks as if now is just not it. He may have to drop his choice of occupation sooner because of circumstances, but until then, let him do what makes him fill successful and fulfilled.

I'm pretty much of this opinion as well. I think that William is the type that needs to LOVE what he's doing, and right now that something will keep him out of the spotlight (which I'm sure he prefers as well). Now, some may not see that as service, but in my eyes helping people first hand is honorable (not to mention that it prepares him for his role as a monarch). Time will come when he'll have no choice but to take up royal duties full time, and it looks as if now is just not it. He may have to drop his choice of occupation sooner because of circumstances, but until then, let him do what makes him fill successful and fulfilled.

Helping others is a very honorable job and I think having a side job is great but there has to be a better balance between his side job and his royal duties. He mentioned that his military job presented a problem when it came down to his official duties and the problem was increasing with time. So perhaps he can do his side job on a part-time level?

Helping others is a very honorable job and I think having a side job is great but there has to be a better balance between his side job and his royal duties. He mentioned that his military job presented a problem when it came down to his official duties and the problem was increasing with time. So perhaps he can do his side job on a part-time level?

I don't think he calls the shots here. As others have said, perhaps Her Majesty and Prince of Wales feel that the Cambridges are doing enough, and therefore support his decision to do royal duties part time. Personally, as much as I love seeing William (and Catherine) amongst the people, I also have no problem with them doing it part time. They have a toddler at home, and I have a feeling that this decision came with his well-being (and privacy) in mind. It's much quieter in the country, and they can have all the time in the world to be a real family.

I wonder if the thought was that they were going to lose Prince Philip, but then he got much better, and William was not needed full time.

I don't think he calls the shots here. As others have said, perhaps Her Majesty and Prince of Wales feel that the Cambridges are doing enough, and therefore support his decision to do royal duties part time. Personally, as much as I love seeing William (and Catherine) amongst the people, I also have no problem with them doing it part time. They have a toddler at home, and I have a feeling that this decision came with his well-being (and privacy) in mind. It's much quieter in the country, and they can have all the time in the world to be a real family.

I don't know where the idea came from that the Cambridge's aren't needed very much. The Queen has given William the role of carrying out Investitures on her behalf, Catherine is about to represent the Queen on a solo trip to Malta. They seem to be attending State events as well. They are needed on the world stage so the idea of tossing their official duties aside once again just don't seem right, IMO. They have an Equerry and a full-time nanny now. They can do more.

I think William could do a side job part-time so he and Catherine can make sure they can focus on their official duties and charities as well.

I think he does. I think the idea that when the monarch's word was law within the family is not really the case with the royal millenials, no matter what Will may tell us in interviews.

I think Will changed his mind within the last year, or was reluctant with the plan last year from the beginning. I believe that the plan was for him to assume royal duties, not for the family to live in East Anglia and for Will to take another outside job. Why take so much time to furnish KP if this were a mere transitional home? Why decorate the nursery to the extent they did? Why fit in a personal kitchen for the family meals if they were not ready to move in permanently? Surely their tastes would change when it came time to move in permanently (this could be years from now if the plan is for them to move to KP when he is heir) and they'd want to decorate it then. Why do some 10 week course on running the Duchy of Cornwall if he were going off to a helicopter job for the next few years? It doesn't make sense - he would have taken the bespoke course closer to the time he was going to help run the Duchy. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Will changed his mind. I'm being objective here - I'm not saying this change of mind is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm being neutral.

I think he does. I think the idea that when the monarch's word was law within the family is not really the case with the royal millenials, no matter what Will may tell us in interviews.

I think Will changed his mind within the last year, or was reluctant with the plan last year from the beginning. I believe that the plan was for him to assume royal duties, not for the family to live in East Anglia and for Will to take another outside job. Why take so much time to furnish KP if this were a mere transitional home? Why decorate the nursery to the extent they did? Why fit in a personal kitchen for the family meals if they were not ready to move in permanently? Surely their tastes would change when it came time to move in permanently (this could be years from now if the plan is for them to move to KP when he is heir) and they'd want to decorate it then. Why do some 10 week course on running the Duchy of Cornwall if he were going off to a helicopter job for the next few years? It doesn't make sense - he would have taken the bespoke course closer to the time he was going to help run the Duchy. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Will changed his mind. I'm being objective here - I'm not saying this change of mind is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm being neutral.

Something just don't seem right about the whole thing, IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, Anmer Hall was given to Will to use when he turned 30 and he is now 32. I think it just comes in handy now that he may have a chance to work in Norfolk and raise his family in the country for the next 2 years. Its not like KP and its renovations were done as a transitional home, over the next two years it will be their base in London and most likely, once the two years are up and they take on more and more full time royal duties, the Cambridges will be like the other royals. Home base in the city with a country estate.

The Firm most likely looked at all options and noted that Will and Kate really aren't needed right now for full time work and extending the part time royal, part time public service is a solution that will work for now. For now I think is the key phrase in all of this. With the advanced ages of the Queen and the DoE, its a given that these plans could change at the drop of a hat and things are pretty much set that should the Cambridges be called back to London to cover more royal duties, they're pretty much set to make a quick, permanent move back to KP.

The BRF doesn't do things on a whim or without thought.

If I'm not mistaken, Anmer Hall was given to Will to use when he turned 30 and he is now 32. I think it just comes in handy now that he may have a chance to work in Norfolk and raise his family in the country for the next 2 years. Its not like KP and its renovations were done as a transitional home, over the next two years it will be their base in London and most likely, once the two years are up and they take on more and more full time royal duties, the Cambridges will be like the other royals. Home base in the city with a country estate.

The Firm most likely looked at all options and noted that Will and Kate really aren't needed right now for full time work and extending the part time royal, part time public service is a solution that will work for now. For now I think is the key phrase in all of this. With the advanced ages of the Queen and the DoE, its a given that these plans could change at the drop of a hat and things are pretty much set that should the Cambridges be called back to London to cover more royal duties, they're pretty much set to make a quick, permanent move back to KP.

The BRF doesn't do things on a whim or without thought.

Is it right for them to wait until The Queen or Prince Philip falls ill or dies for them to do their part in the "Firm"? Again, the side job seems great but it shouldn't take them away from their official responsibilities though. William & Catherine weren't doing much of anything when they were a military family. Is it wise to go back to doing just that?

I just really question this idea of them cutting back on their official duties and charitable roles to taking a full-time job in the Air Ambulance, if that's the job. Okay, William would be busy most of the time but where does this leave Catherine? Not many people will buy that she's busy taking care of George and don't have much time for official engagements when it's already known that that they have a full-time nanny now.

:previous: Why William resigned from the RAF is a mystery because it just plain makes no sense. William has never had an ebullient nature and to be honest, the most enthusiasm he has ever shown was for his flying career, which he obviously loved. Confounding us because there was no clear career or calling that was motivating such a radical change.

It was therefore, hardly surprising that word came from KP that he was, in effect, taking yet another gap year to presumably discover his passion since it became very clear, very quickly, that being a full time royal "living over the £4.5 million refitted shop" at KP wasn't it.

It is curious that a 32 year old man with his birthright and advantages is still given to acting with childish petulance or just plain sulking much of the time. To be honest, I would at least admire him if he came out and said he and his wife were retiring from public life and moving to Anmer Hall at Sandringham until further notice. At least we would all know what was what, no false expectations, no disappointments.

Whatever the cause, this is a rare mis-step by the BRF and handled very poorly by their combined public relations office!

Last edited:

I agree with you Gracie. This would not be the first time William has changed his mind and put his foot down. The taking up of the helicopter flying was one such incident. This happened around the time when Kate had her roller skate event.

I'm laughing at the thought of William and Kate refusing to take on royal duties, while the Queen and Prince Charles look helplessly on. :rolleyes:

I have a hard time believing that the Queen gives more thought and energy into the clothes her grandson wore to his wedding, than she does about the future of the monarchy. I can buy the Queen giving her children and grandchildren a little leeway, but when it comes to big things dealing with the firm, I have no doubt that she is in full charge. There is no way that William and Kate are sitting at home refusing to do royal duties and calling the shots.

I'm not sure why people keep focusing on the remodel of KP. The apartment is hardly going to go to waste. Even if they live in Amner Hall for the next two years, they are still going to be using the apartment whenever they come to London for royal duties. Plus, once they go full-time, KP will be their official residence.

As someone said earlier, it's possible that William quit the RAF because they thought Philip's health was a bit more serious. Didn't Harry also announce he was taking a desk job during that time?

In any event, it says in the linked article that William and Kate will still be taking on a number of royal duties, so it's not like they are going to disappear from the public. Until they have officially announced their plans, maybe people should hold off on calling them lazy.

Speaking of which, it's amazing that someone who is willing to risk his life to save others, is considered childish and lazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom