General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are making a comparison between William and Felipe, Haakon, Victoria when there is none IMO.

Although they are roughly in the same age category (30 to 40') you must remember that technically speaking.....William is the heir's heir. So technically, his peers as ridiculous as it sounds.... are Lenor, Ingrid Alexandra, Estelle, Christian, etc. Charles is the peer of Felipe, Haakon, and Victoria.

The BRF is in a unique position of being particularly deep as it relates to heirs. The last time they had to deal with 4 immediate successors was the birth of the future Edward VIII. At that time both Queen Victoria, and the future Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII were waiting in the wings.

You make an important point. Prince William is not the next heir. He and Catherine must walk a fine line and not upstage the Prince of Wales. A young and popular couple will get more attention but the last thing the royal family needs is a public push for William to take over when the next throne shift takes place. The reigning monarch have children that are closer to her than the Cambridges and they are still rightfully involved in supporting the Queen. William and Catherine's time will come.

You are making a comparison between William and Felipe, Haakon, Victoria when there is none IMO.
Although they are roughly in the same age category (30 to 40') you must remember that technically speaking.....William is the heir's heir. So technically, his peers as ridiculous as it sounds.... are Lenor, Ingrid Alexandra, Estelle, Christian, etc. Charles is the peer of Felipe, Haakon, and Victoria.

You didn´t seem to understand me. I didn´t compare these persons with another. I just stated that William was lucky to be son of an heir (I said that very clear in my post!), and not of the monarch - otherwise he would have had to do lots of royal duties much sooner which the CPs and -Princess had to perform because THEY were children of the monarch.
Still it remains my opinion that it is not early for William, almost 32 years old and one of THE most important senior members of the Royal Family, to overtake more public duties - no matter immediate heir or not.
I hope you will agree that a man of over 30, who has founded a family himself, has to have different duties and responsibilities than a 10 year old girl.... (though I technically understand what you mean).

Last edited:
As we all know, you can't always believe what you read in the tabloid press, or in other sources either. But--it has been frequently reported that Charles does not wish his young and glamourous children to overshadow their elders. The path leading up to Charles becoming King and Camilla becoming Queen consort needs to feature them and not the 'kids.' That is logical, whether anyone in the BRF would acknowledge it or not.

You didn´t seem to understand me. I didn´t compare these persons with another. I just stated that William was lucky to be son of an heir (I said that very clear in my post!), and not of the monarch - otherwise he would have had to do lots of royal duties much sooner which the CPs and -Princess had to perform because THEY were children of the monarch.
Still it remains my opinion that it is not early for William, almost 32 years old and one of THE most important senior members of the Royal Family, to overtake more public duties - no matter immediate heir or not.
I hope you will agree that a man of over 30, who has founded a family himself, has to have different duties and responsibilities than a 10 year old girl.... (though I technically understand what you mean).
I would not consider Prince William ...one of THE most important senior members... He is still second in line behind a grandmother and father who may occupy the throne for another combined 30+ years.

As we all know, you can't always believe what you read in the tabloid press, or in other sources either. But--it has been frequently reported that Charles does not wish his young and glamourous children to overshadow their elders. The path leading up to Charles becoming King and Camilla becoming Queen consort needs to feature them and not the 'kids.' That is logical, whether anyone in the BRF would acknowledge it or not.

Actually I don't feel there's an ounce of fear of overshadowing to be found. As much as Charles is a perfectionist and very meticulous and methodological in just about everything he undertakes (with the role he carved out for himself as Prince of Wales as the prime example), I am apt to believe that he would feel that if his son is going to be Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales in the not too far off future, he is going to assure that William is well trained and prepared for the role he'll step into.

It is not about just changing titles and going up rungs up the ladder towards the big cheese spot but also learning and knowing just what is involved and expected in certain roles. I know a lot of folks put heavy emphasis on amounts of public duties representing the monarch but I'm of the opinion that to the BRF, being prepared to actually step into the roles ahead of them is more of a priority.

I would not consider Prince William ...one of THE most important senior members... He is still second in line behind a grandmother and father who may occupy the throne for another combined 30+ years.

He simply is, because, besides the Queen, Charles or Harry, one of the best known persons of the BRF worldwide, while other Royals apart from The Queen, Charles, Harry and the Cambridges are virtually unknown outside Britain (and don´t say this doesn´t count in our world of media)
And he´s not any royal Duke x, but 2nd in line to the throne.
Of course Pr Charles was back in the 1950s also one of the most important persons of the royal family although he was just a kid and still had some 70 years to wait to fulfill his destiny.

Charles and Camilla are overshadowed, and no one, not even Will. and Catherine themselves, can change that. It´s kind of sad for Charles (and I say this without any irony, because I always respected the PoW), but that´s the way it is.
To stop this, the Cambridges would have to disappear completely from the limelight for the next couple of years. But I think we all agree that this is neither possible nor desirable.
Taking up more responsibilities for the crown doesn´t mean to upstage the future sovereign (there were always different Royals supporting the monarch by doing royal functions and engagements without wanting to take up the throne for themselves... The Gloucesters, the Kents, far more down the line of succession than William, had very prominent and active parts to "play" during the 1940s and 50s).
It´s not about replacing Pr. Charles by a younger, more glamorous couple! But William and Catherine´s popularity, for the sake of the monarchy, cannot be ignored!

There is a saying that people love really old royals and the young and glamorous royals. Right now you have the old royals with the Queen and Philip and the young ones with Will and Kate. In 20 yrs, Charles will be the old royal and George the young one. William & Kate will be the boring middle aged royals.

The royal reporters such as Richard Palmers says the William and Kate will be significantly increasing their royal duties this summer.

William who used to work for the RAF and now possibly the Foreign Office is more important work than cutting ribbons

70th D-Day. Prince William and Kate at Arromanches on June 6:
(According to the French Press) For the ceremonies of 70 th anniversary of the Normandy landings, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton are expected to Arromanches, June 6 This is the first official visit of the royal couple in France. With The Queen.
70e D-Day. Le prince William et Kate à Arromanches le 6 juin

Local Memphis news says William and Harry may be coming, but Kate has decided to stay home with the baby "because of the media circus that would surround them".

70th D-Day. Prince William and Kate at Arromanches on June 6:
(According to the French Press) For the ceremonies of 70 th anniversary of the Normandy landings, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton are expected to Arromanches, June 6 This is the first official visit of the royal couple in France. With The Queen.
70e D-Day. Le prince William et Kate à Arromanches le 6 juin

Where exactly is this in reference to the D Day Beaches? It would be great if there was a Royal present at Juno Beach on the 70th Anniversary of the Landings. The Canadian Forces were the ones to actually reach the furthest inland and were in very real danger of being outflanked due to being so far in, so it would only be right and fitting if a Sr Royal were able to be there in little over a month's time.

Where exactly is this in reference to the D Day Beaches? It would be great if there was a Royal present at Juno Beach on the 70th Anniversary of the Landings. The Canadian Forces were the ones to actually reach the furthest inland and were in very real danger of being outflanked due to being so far in, so it would only be right and fitting if a Sr Royal were able to be there in little over a month's time.

The Queen and Prince Philip are making a state visit to France 5-7 June. This is set out under her royal engagements.

I've asked the Mods for a special thread for this but haven't seen one yet.

There is no confirmation from BP that the Cambridges are going.

However, they are supposed to be attending the 4 August Commemoration event in Belgium, with Harry - that is currently posted under British Royals Current Events. Heads of State are attending incl King of the Belgians

Tracking this is going to be difficult.

:previous: Forgot to add that Prince of Wales is supposed to be with the Queen as well, in June.

So if William is attending that is first 3 members in France at the same time.

Not the greatest week for guy and lizzies wedding. Lots of tornadoes in the south right now.

Not the greatest week for guy and lizzies wedding. Lots of tornadoes in the south right now.

Our southern and middle tier of states are experiencing dramatic temperature shifts, which spawn large, very destructive tornadoes to include their wedding region. If you care to join in the coverage, I suggest
Live Updates: Tornado Outbreak, Severe Storms, Flooding Rainfall in the Midwest and South - weather.com Watch Live: Exclusive Severe Coverage.

This pattern will continue through midweek, at least, so hang on folks, this is going to be a bumpy lead up to the nuptials.
Fingers crossed for people in general and the Pelley wedding, specifically.

On an unrelated but discussed topic, The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall hold an equal place with all other working royals, for me. It's not a race or a contest. It is a life or service and I hold all the working royals on a level playing field. God bless them all.

:previous: Forgot to add that Prince of Wales is supposed to be with the Queen as well, in June.

So if William is attending that is first 3 members in France at the same time.

Wouldn't that be something, If, The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and the Cambridge's attended the events together.

Arromanches is about 10km to the West of Juno Beach and Courseulles, the site of the Juno Beach museum dedicated to the Canadian Invasion forces. It was at Arromanches that one of the two temporary harbours was set up to disembark the tons of materiel that had been sent over from GB to facilitate the invasion of Europe. :flowers:

Arromanches is about 10km to the West of Juno Beach and Courseulles, the site of the Juno Beach museum dedicated to the Canadian Invasion forces. It was at Arromanches that one of the two temporary harbours was set up to disembark the tons of materiel that had been sent over from GB to facilitate the invasion of Europe. :flowers:

Thanks Gerry. Sigh... Even though my Family Heritage w/WWII is Sicily and Holland, i would dearly love to set foot on that hallowed ground and pay my own respects someday. Right now, my Cousins are batting around an idea to go to Vimy Ridge for the Centenary Commemorations, as our Great Uncle fought and survived the assault and battle. Would love to go along to represent our Family, but we'll see.

Thanks Gerry. Sigh... Even though my Family Heritage w/WWII is Sicily and Holland, i would dearly love to set foot on that hallowed ground and pay my own respects someday. Right now, my Cousins are batting around an idea to go to Vimy Ridge for the Centenary Commemorations, as our Great Uncle fought and survived the assault and battle. Would love to go along to represent our Family, but we'll see.

it is indeed a very special place: I had the good fortune to visit Juno Beach museum and was literally blown away by the power of history that is present on the Embarkation beaches. Do visit, if you have a chance. :flowers:

Thank you - I've not seen that. I'm a donut!

No you aren't. If you don't know it's there, that's not being stupid. That's just not knowing about something being around here and we've all done it. No harm, no foul. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom