The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Courtier

I don't think the DM knows the meaning of secret.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Nobility

Except it's not secret. I vaguely remember reading about it a year or so ago, but I don't know how to access any of the articles, since now if it's googled, the more recent article is listed, and nothing else.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Full story from the DM

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Kate and Wills, secretly set up companies to protect their brand | Mail Online

Couple of points:

- setting up a company is not a secret, it is a matter of public record
- they did it in 2012
- Harry has also done this but obviously doesn't fit in the headline
- This story feels familiar to me, but I dont know how to access older version of this
thread as there is no link on the 1st page. Does this ring any bells with anyone else?
Cepe - it probably came up after the vacation in France photos came out. The timing matches. My guess is that one of the reports mentioned how the Beckhams had dealt with the issue. It is ingenious. Make your image a corporate asset - then sue when your asset is materially damaged. If the rags can't make money after all is said and done - they will not do it.

It's also snarky - if they do it. As is, it's just a big stick potentially.
The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 01-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Commoner

^ I think suing to protect their brand as opposed to invasion of privacy would be a risky thing for them to do in terms of public opinion. For one thing, "brand" muddies the distinction between royals and mere celebrities, which the BRF always seems at pains to distinguish. And unlike the Beckhams, the Cambridges' brand belongs to and for the benefit of the United Kingdom in a certain sense. (I'm not expressing that very well, but I think you know what I mean.)

I'm not saying Will and Kate are not entitled to privacy, that they shouldn't have registered these companies or that it wouldn't be an effective legal strategy. Just that if they were to use it they might face a lot of blowback from the public.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 AM
Nobility

No, I don't think so - they will give all damage payed to charities - so I can't see any upcoming problems.

IF they would do it, to live on the proceeds - that would be another matter ..
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Mario Testino on photographing Prince William and Kate Middleton
Mario Testino on photographing Prince William and Kate Middleton for their iconic engagement pictures - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
How was Prince William and Catherine Middleton's engagement photo
http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige...velsesfoto-til

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...to-til&act=url

Quote:
It's the real deal: Mario Testino reveals the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were 'completely in love' when he shot famous engagement pictures
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-pictures.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...agegment-shoot
Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
'There’s nothing exciting about Wills and Kate' says former BBC defence correspondent
Former BBC defence correspondent Christopher Lee calls Kate and William boring | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:
Wills and Kate 'are just dull celebs', says former BBC defence correspondent
Wills and Kate 'are just dull celebs', says Christopher Lee, former BBC defence correspondent | Mail Online
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Courtier

I think Christopher Lee is either jealous, or needs some publicity.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Royal Highness

Why is it that every time someone says something that is not nice about William and Kate, that person is either jealous or needs publicity?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Courtier

I don't care what a former defense correspondent has to say. I would be more interested in a Royal correspondent.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Why is it that every time someone says something that is not nice about William and Kate, that person is either jealous or needs publicity?
I agree with your sentiment. I am not sure, however, that these comments are really negative. I think saying that they are dull is a bit of a compliment. I think that they try really hard to be boring!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
I agree with your sentiment. I am not sure, however, that these comments are really negative. I think saying that they are dull is a bit of a compliment. I think that they try really hard to be boring!
If they wanted to, they could very well be a totally different type of couple and actively seek to draw attention to themselves but they don't. They pretty much go about what they do and I do think try not to call a lot of attention and press towards themselves. They are very careful not to overshadow the more senior members of the family and in fact, when they can, they enhance it.

Their time is yet to come but from what we've seen over the past couple of years, they're getting ready.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Nobility

As the same article (the DM version) quoted Hilary Mantell out of context I would rather read the whole of what Mr Lee said before rushing to judgment. From what is reported it looks as if the journalist has taken a long and serious book or article and snipped out two or three sound bites.

i'm not sue it's Mr Lee who is courting publicity so much as the Daily Mail & Daily Express stirring up trouble.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
i agree - I have seen nothing that makes me think they did not learn lessons from what the family went through in the 90s.
The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince George takes starring role in William and Kate's thank you cards
Prince George takes starring role in William and Kate's thank you cards - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
Kate Middleton, 11 years: A Fair Lady with accent hilarious face her crush
Kate Middleton, 11 ans : Une Fair Lady l'accent hilarant face son bguin

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...72%2F1&act=url
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

William IMO is anything but dull I think it's a bit rich ...
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

Kate Middleton and Prince William Put Finishing Touches on Their New Home

I was wondering where she was!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RegalEyes: According to tomorrow's Sun newspaper, Prince George is holidaying with mum the Duchess of Cambridge in Caribbean. http://t.co/hdsvVbvSPV”
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
@RegalEyes: According to tomorrow's Sun newspaper, Prince George is holidaying with mum the Duchess of Cambridge in Caribbean. http://t.co/hdsvVbvSPV
Troll alert in the DM

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

Hmm - William is supposed to be in Cambridge taking classes.

And if Katie Nichols intended this to be anything but a slam - I worry about her intelligence. It's another piece that paints them as empty-headed dilettantes who only have the brains to worry about privacy trees and finding pretty antiques.