General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With William's next step still up in the air (perhaps literally as there are rumors that he'll work with East Anglia Ambulance) and another option presented as working for the Foreign Office, Kate very well may be working behind the scenes quite a bit. We've had a glimmer that EACH is encouraging birthday parties for George's 1st with donations being made and she's supposedly in the process of working on Anmer Hall so that's being anything but lazy I think.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that they will, for the most part, reside at Anmer Hall and using KP as their London base as William works for the ambulance service (perhaps on a volunteer basis?) along with taking on a position with the Foreign Office (is there an location at all in Norfolk?).

Last edited by a moderator:
If William is going to fly with the Air Ambulance Service it will be as a volunteer, there will be an outcry if he gets paid for something that others do for free.

If the Foreign Office allow him to do a "work from home" arrangement in Norfolk, that's the only way I see him working for the Foreign Office away from London unless he works for them internationally, which I doubt.

There's only so much "behind the scenes" royals can do, especially on Catherine's level. She's not involved in the day to day running of anything except probably a redecoration somewhere and George. Even then she has a nanny. Unless she's helping either The Queen or Charles out with either one of their duchies, behind the scenes. What else is she doing?

The royals do a great deal behind the scenes but I totally agree, these two should be doing more (publically) instead of just behind the scenes. I understand William & Catherine's need to be with George and slobber down those apple cheeks but they also have another job and I just wish they did more of it.

They have a busy schedule coming up and hopefully this year we will know which way William's "transitional year" will go. I think not know which way it's going to go is causing a great deal of confusion and igniting a debate.

If William's "transition" leads him to another career, where does that leave Catherine? Frankly, I can't see her becoming a full-time royal without William. The idea is for them to make that "transition" together.

If they decide to "transition" over to full-time royals, I think a great deal of people (including me) will approve because I just think it's time. It's not my life though.

They have proven that they are fully capable to take on full-time royal duties. Contrary to believe, Catherine isn't actually lazy as some has dubbed her. You can really tell that she like doing her official duties and very often ask The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh if she can accompany them to an official engagement. She seem to like working with them too. Catherine isn't the only one that has gained a great deal of confidence on the royal stage. Since becoming becoming a husband and father, William seems to be ready to take on his destiny.

They're ready (IMO) to take on full-time royal duties and still be present parents.

Last edited:
I too think that William and Catherine should start to take part in more royal engagements. Like a lot of people, I thought that they would start to become more active after the tour, although I was incorrect. Perhaps they should start going on more royal tours, that way we'd see more of them. ;)

I don't think George is no longer an excuse, since they have their nanny, Maria. And there's always the Middletons. Yes, Catherine is still on maternity leave, although like Duke of Marmalade, I feel that she is not an 'ordinary' mother, she is the future Queen of the United Kingdom and various countries within the Commonwealth Realms, so she should start to take part in more royal engagements.

I think it's been clear for a long they will be a lot more active in June July August.

Since 2011 I was on Kate's side when it came to her work. I am desperately trying to stay on her side but I admit it is starting to look bad IMO. Then again I live in America and as a result I don't think a new mother needs to be off work for a year to be with her baby; 5-6mos tops is sufficient IMO.

The issue I have is with the lack of fairness of it all. William is basically a middle manager in the family but the press acts as if his coronation is next week.

Camilla is the next Queen or princess consort and the press basically ignores her.

William and Kate have been far and away the most active "junior" royals since their wedding day. A look at the CC confirms they have been far from idle for royals in the 3rd generation.

If people want them to act and behave as a crown princely couple then make William heir now otherwise I think they more than pull their weight with the Royal Foundation that raises millions of dollars each year for good causes.

The Daily Mail would need to publish a weekly supplement just to keep up with all things Cambridge if the couple were out and about every day.

I think it would just be so simple for the Queen to issue a statement and make it clear what the roles of her children and grandchildren will be during her reign.

I'm not a fan of Robert Jobson but he used a term to describe William that I liked. He called him the "understudy's understudy" and to me that puts things into perspective.

I think people do accept that Charles and Camilla are next up for the throne but think the younger royals should be doing more and I agree with them. The people who should carrying out a great of royal duties is Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry. I think there's enough room for the five of them to support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh.

Last week the BRF did 155 engagements. And that was achieved with out Princess Anne (holiday I assume) William or Catherine. So the lack of the Cambridges is not having an impact on the work of the BRF - the numbers prove that.

Philip gave up his life in his beloved navy to serve the Queen; The Queen told Charles to give up the navy to support her and then didn't really give him anything to do - he created the Princes Trust and had to develop his own road for 40 years.

Why on earth should yet another member of the royal family do the same when it is obvious to all of us that the Queen is not giving up any part of her role except long haul travel.

there is time enough for William - and if this latest story about joining the Air Ambulance is true, then I would be shocked if people criticise him for taking on a public service role for a charitable cause.

If William wants Catherine with him, then that's where she will be. If this story is true, perhaps she will do voluntary work, for example with EACH.

Last edited:
The media have been reporting on tons of job options for William to take on but nothing's been confirmed as of yet. Everyone is waiting to see what this "transitional" year will bring for the Cambridge's. I think the main idea is to "transition" over to royal duties and more charitable roles. I'm thinking Catherine would be taking on more charitable roles too. We haven't heard of any new patronages yet. I think giving her a couple of honorary military roles would be great too.

Just looking at things from a slightly different perspective, is there actually sufficient roles/engagements for them were they to become full time royals? I wonder how willing the Queen & Duke are to relinquish their longstanding commitments to various patronages and annual engagements. The Queen's children are all very active and dedicated to their various organisations. Other older members of the family such as the Gloucesters, have longstanding patronages too - you can't just shunt these aside. Perhaps there isn't enough to warrant the Cambridges taking on full time duties yet.

You know how elected officials are criticised for being professional politicians? No real life experience or what its like to hold down a job, well the longer William can avoid becoming a professional ribbon cutter the better imo.

Everything he has done in his life is going to serve to him well in a new age monarchy of which he will be king.

But frankly I can't fathom how flying an air ambulance and saving lives is somehow seen as avoiding cutting ribbons and planting trees.

Let the man keep doing what he does best, raise money for charity, tour the commonwealth undertake royal duties when required and serve his future subjects in a real and tangible way.

There are more than enough royals to go around for now. His time is close but until the reign of his father I think he should stay the course.

As soon as we start complaining a bunch of engagements get announced. :lol:

I knew I was complaining for a reason. ;):ROFLMAO:

The Daily Mail would need to publish a weekly supplement just to keep up with all things Cambridge if the couple were out and about every day.

I doubt that. Plus we're not calling for engagements everyday, most people are calling for an engagement a week! :lol:

Let the man keep doing what he does best, raise money for charity, tour the commonwealth undertake royal duties when required and serve his future subjects in a real and tangible way.

There are more than enough royals to go around for now. His time is close but until the reign of his father I think he should stay the course.

Doing what he does best? I think that alters depending upon who you ask. Personally both Catherine and William are very good at avoiding everything to do with the life they're supposed to lead. Yes William is not the heir, but frankly Charles isn't going to have a 60 year reign like his mother is he? People want to see these two and nobody is telling them why we aren't seeing them. Whilst serving for the air ambulance is incredibly admirable and a great thing for William to do. If he wanted to fly helicopters and help people he could have stayed in the RAF until it was privatised and then taken up full time work.

There are "enough" royals to do engagments, now yes. But the masses don't want to see Edward, Sophie, Anne, The Duke of Kent and Gloucester.

William and Catherine have a real change to work with Charles and Camilla to make the monarchy almost anew and they're not bothering. It's a real shame.

:previous:
The palace has said that the Summer months will be a busy time for them.

I'm thinking Catherine would be taking on more charitable roles too. We haven't heard of any new patronages yet.

To be honest, she doesnt look properly after the patronages she was given (or maybe she does 'behind the scenes' :whistling:), why should she be given even more.
As I said before, nobody keeps her from doing more in that respect, it doesnt always have go be the glam events like movie openings, galas or royal tours. Yet, with patronages = 'basic royal work', there is no visible engagement, and this doesnt have anything to do with having a toddler.

It would have been more honest from the royal house to give no patronages at all and to say, Kate will learn along William and other than that stay at home as wife and mother.

:ermm:Perhaps this is the way the Queen wants it, after all doesn't everything that her family does go through her? I always said that the buck stops with the person in charge, remember how Diana was treated, well maybe they(the firm) has learnt some lessons and are doing the exact opposite with Catherine. It's not like she can go and say, let me do more, let me be seen by the public, she just can't pick up and walk out the door and to somewhere to do an engagement, everything has to be arranged prior to the engagement. It takes time to make all the arrangements, after all this is the human race and we all work differently when doing things, sometimes we just take longer to do things, get things prepared then other people would do. I am sure that given time and maybe some of these comments about her being lazy, not working, well, it could be that we all want to see her, William and the baby. Maybe some more then others need the W/CG fix more. She is still a young wife, a new mother and yes even if George is only a year old soon, he is till a *BABY* for heavens sake. I think Catherine is a very hands on mother and doesn't rely on a nannie to do everything for in regards to George. This is her first child, when others come, I bet she will be tired and say *here Marie you take this one*. Right now they are doing what the Queen wants and nobody gets in her way, something tells me that the Queen is the final say in this family and she is *The Firm*.

William should not have to be king before he is king and he should not have to be the heir before he is the heir.

If Charles and Camilla still need help maybe its time for a rethink but if C&C need W&K to make the transition then that's a problem for Charles, not William.

I don't understand how anyone can call her lazy, she is a wife, a mother and that is being lazy? So she doesn't publish an hour to hour daily list of what she does......so call her lazy? so she might not do dishes, to make the bed or run the sweeper, she is lazy? So mothers that stay home with their child/children are lazy now? Are we going back to the dark ages here?
I don't know what she does with her daily life and I could care less, yet when she is out and about doing things, it's nice to see her. I don't need her 24/7 like some people seem to do. And she does not get money from the taxpayers for doing nothing........please get a grips about her being *lazy* just because some don't see her out once/twice/three times a week or even every day. She married William and I bet they are together in this and that all things that they do go through the Queen, he has a great respect for his grandmother and I bet he talks to her more then people realize. Just give them time as all of us are given time to learn out way in life..

To be honest, she doesnt look properly after the patronages she was given...
Catherine do a lot for her charities and are corresponding and meeting with them on a regular bases. All the royals do this on a regular bases.

I'm talking about her taking on a little more and even some honorary military roles. She's the only senior member of the royal family that's up for those kind of roles. I would suggest for her to help out the aging Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and become a Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.

Yes all mothers are entitled to go on maternity leave for an entire year, most of course don't if they have jobs. If Catherine can leave George with her parents to go on holiday for a week, I don't see why she can't leave him for a few hours to do engagements twice a week. Same goes for William. George turns one in just under two months time, I know they're not "full time" royals, but they're not even acting like part time royals.

that is quite a good opinion, i admit, i second what you said. besides, they have a lot of the best help the world can offer to get on with engagements, despite having a baby, so i see no reason why they couldn't come back to it. most working mums come back to work in less than a year and this is without the kind of help W+K have.

I'm talking about her taking on a little more and even some honorary military roles. She's the only senior member of the royal family that's up for those kind of roles. I would suggest for her to help out the aging Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and become a Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.

In my eyes, although Kate is a senior royal as far as the royal totem pole goes, she is not (and nor is William) a senior royal working for the Firm yet. In a way, to me, what W/K are doing now is kind of like what Eugenie is doing in New York. An internship. Doing a bit of this, a tad of that and learning how to step into their roles as full time working royals. Last summer we didn't see too much of them during the "season" as it was drawing close to George's birth. This year may very well pleasantly surprise us. At least I hope so. :D

I think to name Kate to becoming a Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment right now would kind of be a slap in the face to Camilla as she does hold the title Princess of Wales currently. Maybe it will happen for Kate but I seriously doubt it until she actually becomes the Princess of Wales herself.

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.

Shouldn't the Princess of Wales take on Pricess of Wales charities, honorary titles and regiments? I suspect there has been a Colonel in Chief since 1996 because there hang been a Princess of Wales after that. Diana was divorced in 1996 and killed soon after in. Kate is not the Princess of Wales she is the Duchess of Cambridge. If anyone should take on anything related to POW it is Camilla but she will not do it because though she is Princess of Wales she has distanced herself from that title.

Last edited:
The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment was named in Diana's honor in (92) I think. I think it would be great if Catherine took on the role. The role isn't just for a Princess of Wales, if that was the case, Her Magesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark wouldn't be it's Colonel-in-Chief. Camilla already have a great deal of regiments under her belt and most likely wont take on the role. I think it should be Catherine to take it on along with other honorary military roles.

Yes, but it could be argued that it would be a bit tacky for a British Princess to take on the role while there is a Princess of Wales (even if she doesn't use the title).

At the same time, it could be argued that it would be a bit tacky for Camilla to take on the role while given as the regiment was named for her husband's first wife, even if she does hold the same title.

As the regiment has been without a British Royal Colonel-in-Chief for almost 20 years, and only actually had one for 4 years, I somehow don't think there's any need to rush into making Catherine a Colonel-in-Chief.

I don't think it's a rush to give Catherine some honorary military appointments. I think the idea is to give Catherine some responsibility of royal significants. Once that happens that will able her to do more official engagements. Everyone, royal reporters and correspondents are recognizing that William and Catherine aren't doing enough. Now William has stepped up and taken on some honorary military roles and even carry out Investitures on The Queen's behalf. I think it's not only right but to expect Catherine to be handed over some responsibility as well. If you want them to do more, giving them some responsibility is what it's going to take.

Dman, you've missed my point.

I'm not saying that there is no rush to give Catherine any honourary military appointments, just that there's no rush to make her Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales' Regiment.

Well, I think Kate should call a press conference and announce that she's going to take over some of the duties of the poor old Queen because she's obviously slowing down, and also that she will relieve the 'aging' Queen of Denmark of some of her duties. Kate's tanned, rested, and ready, and she should control her own destiny in this royalty business.

I'm joking, but I mean it. She can't just rush out and do things on her own, she has to follow protocol. Besides, the more she and William are out and about, the less attention and interest Charles and Camilla will receive. Camilla needs to be built up and boosted in public so that her 'promotion' to Queen will be well-received when the time comes. And anyone who doesn't think that is a factor in some of the issues we're discussing...

I hear you guys, I'm just saying its going to take handing down some responsibility in order to get the Cambridge's to do more. The only reason you see the other royals doing so much outside of charitable engagements, is due to them taking on presidencies, colonelships and other ceremonial duties.

What I was really hoping for (and still am) is for William to take up a position in the Foreign Office and through that, The Cambridges might start to attend a few State Banquets. Although it looks easy enough to sit down, eat dinner and hear a few speeches, I know there's quite a bit of protocol and correct etiquette that goes along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom