General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out go the short skirts, on with the tiaras: It's Kate's regal makeover... by order of the Queen!
Out go the short skirts, on with the tiaras: It's Kate's regal makeover... by order of the Queen! | Mail Online

Much as we would all like to see Catherine take out some historic tiara or other piece of jewellery not seen in public for a long time, the likelihood is that there will be, at best, one formal public event, of that. Also, at the event, I would be extremely surprised if we saw Catherine in a tiara. Members of the BRF, other than HM, just do not wear tiaras abroad these days (other than Camilla's appearances at CHOGM in 2007 and 2013). Even Camilla did not wear any serious jewels when C&C visited in 2012.

I think there is some truth in this story. The recession is over bring back the jewels.

I think there is some truth in this story. The recession is over bring back the jewels.
Well, it doesn't take Angela Kelly to pose the question, should Kate take the wattle and hibiscus brooches along? Duh, territory, DM.
And given the independent decision making the Cambridges seem to do, no one will force her to start wearing large brooches. She'll do that when she is ready. If ever. She is just not a magpie.

Last edited:
I particularly liked the part about George's impeccable behaviour, and glad to hear he's enjoying his holiday. Too funny! I like to imagine that he was wearing a tiny blazer and tie, and that he was wearing sunglasses when they got to Mustique.

That quote was a favourite of mine too. :) Like your imagination of George's holiday outfit! :D

Duchess of Cambridge asks mom for 'help' - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
And here's an article claiming her mom is helping w/ the clothing choices for the Australia/New Zealand trip. I'm hoping it's Angela and more jewels. The lack of jewels has been my biggest disappointment w/ Catherine, having nothing to do w/ her - just my own desire to see said sparkly objects.
In regards to Catherine not 'working,' I don't recall that the first several months as a new mom were a vacation in any sense of the word, I do recall that it was an overwhelming adjustment and that I got very little sleep.

The "Re-branding of Kate", "dripping with diamonds", "tiaras" (plural) Oz TV this pm.

Hi Everyone,

Certainly Channel 9 news here in Australia has enjoyed reporting on the Queen's "order" for Catherine to undergo a "make-over" for her upcoming tour.

No mention of the original report posted above, but a cross-over to a UK based Royal Correspondent, followed by a discussion amongst the panel of the "Chat Room" section.

Sean Neil is reporting that the Duchess of Cambridge will be "dripping with diamonds", wearing tiaras - plural - and out to make a "great impression" with lots of glitz and glamour.

The report is headed with "Queen bans short skirts".

The panelists later in the news suggested that a big part of Catherine's appeal lies in her wearing of "High St" brands, people being able to relate to her etc., and that there is a danger that if she goes too upmarket, she will lose some of that.

I can't agree.

I think people here would be disappointed if she, and William, were too casual.

We have that every day, and this is supposed to be a Royal Tour, so we're expecting a look at Royalty, as Royalty.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I'll always like what Kate wears regardless of where here clothes are coming from. Zara, McQueen, McCartney & I'm also hopeful that she'll wear some Elie Saab in the future. And who wouldn't want to see her in some serious jewelry?! :)

Last week the story was that the Queen may have only million or so pounds left. Now the story is that Catherine has been ordered to deck herself out with jewels and tiaras.
Having Catherine wearing all sorts of jewels and tiarras for public appearances will certainly go a long way in getting widespread support for the British government to fund repairs to Buckingham Palace.

the Queen's "order" for Catherine to undergo a "make-over"

i'm not sure how good a source Australia's Channel 9 Newsdesk is, but the possiblity of HMQ 'ordering' Catherine to 'notch up the glamour' seems extremely unlikely to me...

Firstly because she isn't known for issuing diktats in that manner, and secondly because [although she enjoys wearing jewellry] she is extremely judicious about how much, and how much is appropriate to wear.
Catherine is not even the wife of the heir, and Australia is a notoriously informal place, so 'dripping in diamonds' would seem counter-intuitive...

This 'news' just doesn't ring true.

This is a case of journalists automatically believing what another journalist has written.

Katie Nicholl writes a snippy article about the Queen stepping in to ensure that Catherine wears longer skirts and lots of jewels and has the use of her own personal dresser (also ensures that we know said dresser is the daughter of a crane driver - Nicholls is a snob); it is then taken up by the Telegraph who dont say that its from the DM but do they ever.

It has now traversed the globe for a re-write on Australian TV.

I just dont trust the original source.

Last week the story was that the Queen may have only million or so pounds left. Now the story is that Catherine has been ordered to deck herself out with jewels and tiaras.
Having Catherine wearing all sorts of jewels and tiarras for public appearances will certainly go a long way in getting widespread support for the British government to fund repairs to Buckingham Palace.

The thing is, Kate wearing the tiaras and jewels don't cost anything as they're already in the Queen's vault from what I understand. I believe they will be picking pieces such as the wattle brooch which has significance and ties to the areas they are going to be visiting. Won't cost a dime (or should I say a pence?)

And besides, that £1M wasn't referring to the Queen's personal finances. It's for household maintenance, and wouldn't have anything to do with clothes or jewels.

The itinerary of tour isn't finalized so we don't what type of things they are doing. I would think that their staff have been doing the recon trip to Australia and NZ while Kate's been in the Caribbean. It doesn't seem that it is likely that Kate would be dripping in diamonds on this trip. I can see a brooch or 2 like she used the diamond maple leaf in Canada. If there is a formal reception, the Queen is head of state in both countries and if they are treating the visit as their own royal families visiting, I can't see them busting out the tiaras. I think what we will see is what we saw in Canada. A mix of local designers, high street and higher end pieces from Temperely, McQueen, Emilia Wickstead.

For some odd reason, the royal ladies no longer wear tiara's on their official tours. They did back in the day but stopped in the late 90's. I think it's very unfortunate that the British royals lost their regal days. I'm hoping their regal days will make a come back in the next reign.

I think Catherine might take a few brooches, bracelets and earrings with her for the trip though.

Aaargh ..... Emiia Wickstead, she of the ill fitting clothes, nothing so wrong with her designs but the finished products look like they were done by a beginning seamstress.

On another note, I'm curious I have searched for information on Katie Nicholls' background and have found essentially nothing. She is such a major snob that I have to wonder what her "snob credentials" are. :)

I would imagine that Catherine's apparel for this visit will be much like the clothing worn by Princess Diana. Formal attire for formal occassions. Diana was married to the heir and she did not appear at ll events dripping in diamonds.

i'm not sure how good a source Australia's Channel 9 Newsdesk is, but the possiblity of HMQ 'ordering' Catherine to 'notch up the glamour' seems extremely unlikely to me...

Firstly because she isn't known for issuing diktats in that manner, and secondly because [although she enjoys wearing jewellry] she is extremely judicious about how much, and how much is appropriate to wear.
Catherine is not even the wife of the heir, and Australia is a notoriously informal place, so 'dripping in diamonds' would seem counter-intuitive...

This 'news' just doesn't ring true.

Hi wyevale,

Yes, we are known for our informality, but I still remember that Prince William was the most casually dressed of everyone when he was at a Reception at the Botanic Gardens here in Sydney - before his wedding.

Although summer, a lot of the guests were smartly turned out - not the general crowds who were behind the barriers, but the invited people - ties for men and heels for women, and W was in sneakers and "everyday" trousers and shirt.

I was there for all his speech, and although he was warmly recieved, he could have taken a few tips from our Premier who introduced him, in how to engage with an audience.
(A young American-born woman who was the top politician here in NSW for a while.)

I hope the royal advisors don't think Australia will be impressed with a Royal Couple who are "just like us".

Australia's a very grown up place in the 21st Century, and we need more than just to be acknowledged once in a while these days - if you want to win us over.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I doubt HM has stepped in to make Kate's tour wardrobe appropriate. On both the Canada and Asia tour, Kate's wardrobe was praised and she sticks to shapes and styles that work for her.
I imagine that the fern, wattle and hibiscus brooches could indeed make an appearance during the tour but I don't see there being an major pieces or tiaras taken with - William and Kate have a relaxed style and its not part of the imagine that they have being portraying in the last few years to become more stiff and formal.
I hope Kate sticks to her tried and tested outfits - I would like to see good mixture of pieces from high street and designers. Also there are many outfits from both previous tours she has carried out that need to be recycled - especially considering the length of this tour and number of changes.

I doubt HM has stepped in to make Kate's tour wardrobe appropriate. On both the Canada and Asia tour, Kate's wardrobe was praised and she sticks to shapes and styles that work for her.
I imagine that the fern, wattle and hibiscus brooches could indeed make an appearance during the tour but I don't see there being an major pieces or tiaras taken with - William and Kate have a relaxed style and its not part of the imagine that they have being portraying in the last few years to become more stiff and formal.
I hope Kate sticks to her tried and tested outfits - I would like to see good mixture of pieces from high street and designers. Also there are many outfits from both previous tours she has carried out that need to be recycled - especially considering the length of this tour and number of changes.
I too hope that Catherine reuses a lot of the outfits she already has. I know she reuses a number of items, but a bit more would not go amiss. She had wonderful dresses from the last 3 years that she can put back into service.

I too hope that Catherine reuses a lot of the outfits she already has. I know she reuses a number of items, but a bit more would not go amiss. She had wonderful dresses from the last 3 years that she can put back into service.

What will the weather be in Aus/NZ be in April? I would expect kate to be happy to be able to fit back into her pre- pregnancy wardrobe. She was unable to wear her spring summer wardrobe from the Asia tour last year being pregnant. However I believe she gets a clothing allowance for the tours which she seems to use to supplement her wardrobe so we should get some great new additions.

I don't much care if Kate doesn't drip diamonds, but I sure as heck don't want to see the royal butt cheeks again! I hope HM did have a talk with her about the hemlines.

Hmmm, I must have missed that .... I remember seeing her legs (and a great deal) but I do not recall, as you so nicely described, seeing "butt cheeks". No opportunity to diss Catherine is left undone.

Well, I'm a guy and a leg man so I don't mind seeing a little leg. Just being honest but I'm not sure about the idea of putting weights into her dresses because The Queen does it. Sometimes I think the weights that's in The Queen's dresses or overcoats have a way of dragging her and her wardrobe down. Sometimes I think it leaves her clothing shapeless and seem to be pulling her down to the ground.

It was also confirmed that the pix were photoshopped! Still that is a long time ago and she has been on tour since with no incidents.

Not sure if this has been posted by the Royal Editor for Hello! magazine denies categorically that Angela Kelly is helping Catherine.

Judy Wade ‏@Judy_Wade Feb 5
@LynneBell1 Sorry, Lynne, Angela Kelly has not been asked to advise Kate on her tour wardrobe or anything else. Oz tour v.casual

Judy Wade ‏@Judy_Wade Feb 5

@LynneBell1 Oz tour v.casual

Lovely Judy Wade - one of many Australians who've carved out public profiles for themselves in the UK.

(Clive James, Rolf Harris, Kathy Lette, Germaine Greer, John Pilger, Robert Hughes spring to mind).

So many authorities on Australia who haven't lived here since the 1960s.

Word here in Oz is that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be attending the Easter Saturday "Queen Elizabeth Stakes Day" races, to be held at "Royal Randwick" racecourse in Sydney.

Remember the big hoo-haa when lovely British model Jean Shrimpton turned up to the races here without gloves, hat and stockings - very under-dressed compared to the Australians around her.

And yes, times have changed so maybe no gloves - though I've seen them on the ladies attending the black and white "Derby" day at the Melbourne races - and not the over-the-top hats of Ascot - but many young men and young women take a day at the races as an opportunity to parade their finery.

Heels - despite the lawns, little dresses - even if cold and wet, something on the head - though facinators seem to be in decline, and smart suits and ties for the guys.

I can imagine people will go even more out with William and Catherine in attendance.

Corporate sales for the day are almost sold out, and demand for general admission tickets is such that many may miss out if they don't get in quick.

The course has undergone a re-vamp and can contain a crowd of fifty thousand, and though not the biggest prize-money in Australian racing, the winner will collect four million dollars - Sydney's richest race.

I'm sure we will see plenty of the Duke and Duchess "dressed down", but the fable of "casual" Australia has gone the way of the cork hat and sun-burn.

(If you see anyone badly burnt on an Australian beach these days, it's probably an Irish or Scottish/English back-packer.)

If the opportunity is there, a lot of Aussies like to dress up and look smart.

(N.B. The Randwick racecourse was re-named "Royal Randwick" after Her Majesty attended a few years ago.)

No doubt the whole race day will be broadcast on TV - the big ones are, even without Royal attendees - so I think I'll avoid the masses, and get the close-ups, at home.

But it will be a glitz/glam event - especially if the day is bright and sunny.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. News reports are avoiding the "Kate Middleton" issue by referring to "Prince William and his wife Kate". :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom