The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Courtier

The segment of the public doesn't care, it only the tabloids/yellow press in the UK who cares about this

Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I could not disagree more.
We ASSUMED she would do this year after year. The palace did not announce that, we assumed.
And as my third grade teacher explained to us - never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Really, if we lay this at the feet of the PR folk, then they should routinely issue these warnings:
  • William and Catherine are part time only.
  • Catherine's dress will be mostly a safe choice and often repeated. While not a spender, she will buy quality items
  • At this time in their life they are putting their time with kids first
  • If you read political meaning into their innocuous statements then the bad is on you, not them
  • They have money. They have houses. They take vacations. Get over it.
  • Just because they did it once does not mean they will do it always.
  • The Duchess gets to do what she likes with her hair. She is a princess, not a for-hire fashion model walking a runway
  • The Duchess is also allowed to keep her relationship with her family. She did not divorce them when she married William.
  • They have a whole, robust personal life that they are not going to share with the public. Live with it.
  • The Queen thinks all this is A OK.
  • Just as the Queen does not allow the public to edit her public engagement schedule, she thinks her guidance to members of her family on that topic is sufficient.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

love this, love all of it.

Only thing I'd add: British Royal Family do it their way - they do not need to copy any other.

Made my day

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We ASSUMED she would do this year after year. The palace did not announce that, we assumed.
And as my third grade teacher explained to us - never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Really, if we lay this at the feet of the PR folk, then they should routinely issue these warnings:
  • Catherine's dress will be mostly a safe choice and often repeated. While not a spender, she will buy quality items
  • If you read political meaning into their innocuous statements then the bad is on you, not them
  • The Duchess gets to do what she likes with her hair. She is a princess, not a for-hire fashion model walking a runway
  • The Duchess is also allowed to keep her relationship with her family. She did not divorce them when she married William.
  • They have a whole, robust personal life that they are not going to share with the public. Live with it.
  • Just as the Queen does not allow the public to edit her public engagement schedule, she thinks her guidance to members of her family on that topic is sufficient.
Thank you! You summed it up nicely
Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Hear, hear

If I was them I’d play it up a bit and one year have just William, one year just Catherine and sometimes both doing it. Just to keep the tabloids and royal watchers guessing.

Btw, who’s supposed to do the leeks for the Welsh regiment?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

KP mess this up, but Catherine will be back on shamrock duty next year, most likely.

That's my last comment on this subject, because the event is done and over with. The Cambridge's haven't had the best PR lately, but this too shall pass. The media is milking the death out of this though. I'm moving on...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The segment of the public doesn't care, it only the tabloids/yellow press in the UK who cares about this
Sorry but that is the problem the royals have thinking like this. Why do tabloids write these stories? Because they SELL. People read them and they do care. If you look at the comment sections you will find plenty of people share the opinions of the writers. If royals continue to burry their heads in the sand and refuse to aknowledge this head on this will simply build. And when you are relying on tax payers to fund your lives, disenchanting tax payers is not a great move.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know lots of people are laying the blame on Catherine's doorstep, but I believe, the blame for this confusion is with the palace press team.

Had the palace made it known a while back, when she first started carrying out the role, that she would present shamrocks on an once in a while bases, people and the media would've understood that she couldn't make it this year.

I don't understand. Is the palace supposed to announce for every event whether or not it's going to be a regular event for a particular royal? No. This would be ridiculous.

The media is having a fit because they loved the shots with Catherine and the shamrocks and the guys in uniform and the dog, and the media can't have those shots this year. And, unfortunately for Catherine, it's fitting in with the media's made-up narrative about Catherine.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I think you should copy this post and repeat it whenever this type of nonsense comes up again.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Royal Highness

There is the saying .. It's when they don't want to write about you then your in trouble. I think this applies to Royalty too. I know they are "just, only, etc etc. but one day they will wake up and be the ones and maybe no one will care.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
I don't understand. Is the palace supposed to announce for every event whether or not it's going to be a regular event for a particular royal? No. This would be ridiculous.

The media is having a fit because they loved the shots with Catherine and the shamrocks and the guys in uniform and the dog, and the media can't have those shots this year. And, unfortunately for Catherine, it's fitting in with the media's made-up narrative about Catherine.
Just simply stating; the palace should've explained early on that HRH would hand out the shamrocks to the Irish Guards on once in a while bases. Can't fault those who expected Catherine to be there, because she has gone every year. Even while pregnant. It was surprising when William was the only one scheduled to attend, without any official acknowledgment why she wouldn't be there. It was a confusing moment.

No one faults Catherine for being the kids and preparing for engagement the very next day. The KP palace press could've handled things better. It's not a big deal, but it was a surprising moment though.

Things have been testy between the young royals and the media lately. It's wise to not add fuel to the burning fire.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Just simply stating; the palace should've explained early on that HRH would hand out the shamrocks to the Irish Guards on once in a while bases. Can't fault those who expected Catherine to be there, because she has gone every year. Even while pregnant. It was surprising when William was the only one scheduled to attend, without any official acknowledgment why she wouldn't be there. It was a confusing moment.

No one faults Catherine for being the kids and preparing for engagement the very next day. The KP palace press could've handled things better. It's not a big deal, but it was a surprising moment though.

Things have been testy between the young royals and the media lately. It's wise to not add fuel to the burning fire.

We'll just agree to disagree. If the Palace were obligated to comment on every wrinkle in scheduling, they still wouldn't win. Some in the press already twisted this to say that Catherine was breaking tradition, etc. You can't really add fuel to a fire being put on by an oil company. This is what the press does--build people up and then try to break them down.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sorry but that is the problem the royals have thinking like this. Why do tabloids write these stories? Because they SELL. People read them and they do care. If you look at the comment sections you will find plenty of people share the opinions of the writers. If royals continue to burry their heads in the sand and refuse to aknowledge this head on this will simply build. And when you are relying on tax payers to fund your lives, disenchanting tax payers is not a great move.
Yes there are comments which come from citizens of the UK but also a sizeable portion from those who reside outside of the country ieaily Mail. Those are commenters who do not vote, pay taxes or contact the MPs who represent the citizens of the UK.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I find it funny that no one ever asks where William is on a Kate engagement? However if William is solo at the Baftas, Tusk Awards, etc it's where Kate.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
We'll just agree to disagree. If the Palace were obligated to comment on every wrinkle in scheduling, they still wouldn't win. Some in the press already twisted this to say that Catherine was breaking tradition, etc. You can't really add fuel to a fire being put on by an oil company. This is what the press does--build people up and then try to break them down.
The palace don't have to comment on every engagement "wrinkle" , but this one of those engagements everyone look forward to them performing together. It was kind a surprising moment when it was announced that William was going solo on St. Patrick's Day. Naturally, this announcement left folks guessing on the reason why Catherine wasn't scheduled to attend.

It's just like if Catherine didn't show up to the Order of the Garter service. She missed twice, due to pregnancy, but just imagine if she missed this year's ceremony. Don't you think people will have questions about her absence?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I find it funny that no one ever asks where William is on a Kate engagement? However if William is solo at the Baftas, Tusk Awards, etc it's where Kate.

Or where is Sophie, Timothy, Brigitte etc..if their spouses are on a solo engagement.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
KP mess this up, but Catherine will be back on shamrock duty next year, most likely.
This was a minor royal tradition performed by a variety of royals and non royals through the years. Catherine did not miss Trooping the Colours, for example. She attended a State dinner, if she is not asked to attend the next one do we say she's breaking tradition, she pulled out, she'd rather stay home and is work shy, etc.? No, because she was not scheduled to attend that next State dinner and her attendance at one does not ipso facto create a tradition of Catherine attending all future State dinners. It's unbelievable the print that's been dedicated to this non issue.
I truly hope she does not do it next year. This furor over a lack of appearance which was never scheduled in the first place is quite troubling and frankly reminds me of the media frenzy that grew to surround her mother in law. Diana helped whip up the frenzy by encouraging the press at times resulting in a horrible cost to herself and the Royal family. No one in the Royal family - including Catherine - wants a repeat of that debacle.
I think we need to see less of Catherine as the press are like a bunch of heroin addicts, lying, calling her names (dishonoring the people who have served - puleese,) stalking her, her parents & siblings and their partners and her children w/ long lens cameras, etc. - whatever it takes to get their next hit, which is photos of Catherine. The press needs to be weaned of their addiction.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Posts concerning how much the royal family cost have been moved to the Royal Wealth and Finances thread.

The event that has caused so much controversy has long happened and I think it is time we moved on.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Nobility

I don't like that the media distorted the story and made it seem like Kate's non-participation in the St. Patrick's Day event broke a 115 year tradition, however I think that there needs to be a recognition that the British Royal Family, individually and collectively, should grasp onto anything that the public has a favorable response to - assuming that one's dignity is not compromised.

When gushy documentaries about British Royal Family are aired and it is discussed how and why the British Royal Family maintains interest and premiere status, they are usually praised for "getting it right" in terms of balancing pomp and ceremony with being visible and relate-able. I don't think that they are in the habit of looking gift horses in the mouth, e.g., somewhere along the way someone had ideas like standing out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, doing a Christmas broadcast, walking to church en masse on Christmas morning and the public responded well to these things and the BRF kept doing these things, and voila traditions were born.

In 1969 the Queen did not do a Christmas broadcast because she felt that there had been enough television exposure of the Bristish Royal Family that year - that year the investiture of Charles as Prince of Wales and the landmark documentary on the Royal Family were broadcast, there was push back and the Queen ended up issuing a statement assuring that she will continue the tradition the following year and also the doing what amounted to a Christmas Speech in writing.

I don't think that there will be any lasting repercussions if Catherine "returns to tradition" next year and I hope that the Cambridges are wise enough to actually embrace these kinds of circumstances where the public favorably responds to their presence at an event.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in calling what Kate wears, her hair and her makeup irrelevant to the event but as I'm not overly interested in fashion, it was just my perspective. A lot of people do like to watch the show and comment on fashion and I do think that's an extra perk that we perhaps get with having a young, attractive Duchess.

I just think its sad that its these points that seem to be the most focused on and what some believe she is all about as window dressing on the arm on her prince. I prefer to see her as making a difference with the roles she takes on and the causes she stands up for. To me, that's the primary role of a royal consort in the 21st century.
You're spot on. I think Catherine dresses down to make sure the focus is a n what she is supporting. Sadly, it doesn't stop the press from yapping endlessly about her clothing choices. Like you, I choose to,focus on what she does rather than what she wears.

Quote:

BRAVO! This is just brilliant. You should repost this whenever appropriate. It sums up everything quite nicely.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family