The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Yeah, and I think it was tweeted out on the 11th. And in that announcement only William was mentioned. So THEY never said she would be there, people assumed.
Spot on!

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter · Mar 11

The Duke of Cambridge will visit the 1st Battalion Irish Guards at the St. Patrick's Day Parade, Cavalry Barracks, Hounslow, on March 17.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Spot on!

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter · Mar 11

The Duke of Cambridge will visit the 1st Battalion Irish Guards at the St. Patrick's Day Parade, Cavalry Barracks, Hounslow, on March 17.
Here is the actual KP tweet as well:

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal Mar 11
The Duke will join 1st Battalion Irish Guards at #StPatricksDayParade on 17 March- HRH is Colonel of the Regiment

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...57510424244224

Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=cepe;1872669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
No. I have been tracking the difference between announced engagements and what actually happens (I know, I am sad).

It has never been published anywhere. Williams attendance is on the Royal website and was only put on there on either 15/16th. That is when Catherine's engagement on 18th was also posted.

its over enthusiastic "fans" assuming that she would be there and posting on their blogs.

They created their own disappointment!
The anti-fans are claiming it was on the KP website until she cancelled.

On KP's twitter for March 11th, it does mention the engagement for the 17th.

So the plot thickens...

Could she have been scheduled?

Could KP twitter manager have typed both Duke & Duchess without confirming or just out assumed both would attend as they had previously and then was told only William would attend so Duchess was removed but not before some of her 'critics/fans saw the tweet?

There is a 14 minute gap between Battalion tweet 3:45 and the Commonwealth Tweet 3:31. The Harry tweet is also for 3:45.

It look like fat fingers might have caused the problem or an overzealous staff member.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

that's two valid sources not naming the Duchess.

I saw the pictures today and it was about the event, plus a couple of nice ones with William talking to babies (and their mum). I saw more of the event than ever before. That is sad, on reflection.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think folks just got carried away. Of course one would think she would go, because she's done the role since the wedding. She'll be back. There was no break in the any tradition, she did not pull out or anything like that. She want scheduled to attend this year. I happen to think that's because she is in Norfolk for her engagement.

[QUOTE=Queen Camilla;1872681]
Quote:

The anti-fans are claiming it was on the KP website until she cancelled.

On KP's twitter for March 11th, it does mention the engagement for the 17th.

So the plot thickens...

Could she have been scheduled?

Could KP twitter manager have typed both Duke & Duchess without confirming or just out assumed both would attend as they had previously and then was told only William would attend so Duchess was removed but not before some of her 'critics/fans saw the tweet?
No, she was never scheduled to attend. William was the only one scheduled to attend. Catherine never pulled out or cancelled. It's a shame that folks on Twitter just came up with all kinds of silly attacks on Catherine. They completely ignored the facts.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The twitter accounts for all the royal reporters only mention William - and they don't rely on Twitter, they get a press release from KP. At the same time they tweeted about Harry and Catherine (only for the 18th).

So this is anti-Catherine propaganda and belongs in the bin! Engagement is completed, let them eat cake and move on.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The twitter accounts for all the royal reporters only mention William - and they don't rely on Twitter, they get a press release from KP. At the same time they tweeted about Harry and Catherine (only for the 18th).

So this is anti-Catherine propaganda and belongs in the bin! Engagement is completed, let them eat cake and move on.
Yes, please let's move on!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Ingrid Seward's view. (She discusses more than the St Patrick's Day thing.)

Kate Middleton snubbed war heroes in St Patrick's Day tradition | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-20-2016, 02:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Ingrid's final words are compelling. I think this was a big mistake for Kate and/or William, whichever one of them made the decision for her to shun this ceremony.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Ingrid's final words are compelling. I think this was a big mistake for Kate and/or William, whichever one of them made the decision for her to shun this ceremony.
I agree she should of gone if she was missing the children they have an apartment in london
Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=sm1939;1873251]I agree she should of gone to this if she was missing the children they have an apartment in london they should of bought them down
Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
I agree she should of gone if she was missing the children they have an apartment in london

This whole non-controversy is silly. She was never officially scheduled to go- people just assumed it since she usually does.

William did it. The engagement was covered.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
This whole non-controversy is silly. She was never officially scheduled to go- people just assumed it since she usually does.

William did it. The engagement was covered.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't think 'it was covered ' is really enough. I can understand that she wanted to be with her little ones but maybe if her engagements were better organized she could have seen them before or after. I do worry about the way she is heading.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-20-2016, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
But a few hours of Kate’s time to present shamrocks is just a small one compared to the ultimate sacrifice which remains a reality for the military men she let down on St Patrick’s Day.

So true! the argument with the children doesnt work for senior royals imo. Kate has lots of time on hand with her children anyway since she doesnt work much. plus she has numerous staff und places to stay. it would have been little effort to attend this event but it fits the image to turn it down for private purposes what is a joke when honoring people who at times are away from their families for weeks and months.

Its so unnecessary and such decisions, like skipping events, not working much but going on expensive holidays will give them a hard time with press and public in the long run.

There is a saying, work hard, party hard, meaning when the work account fits the bill you can almost do what you want. As long as there is no effort regarding duty, the critizism will not go away.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:42 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps one of the reasons this all happened is to ensure in the future that Kate is not expected to do this yearly. It has been, in the past, something that W&K have done together and she's also done it solo but there has been nothing written in stone that this is how it is to be forevermore.

As we've seen by the responses concerning her absence, it seems like this engagement was something expected by the public but not something Kate, herself, is expected to always turn up for in her royal role.

When all is said and done, it is actually William that holds the more prestigious role with this event and he covered it nicely I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-20-2016, 04:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I think if she didn't intend to keep doing it, she shouldn't have started doing it. By her attitude to this event I think Kate has demonstrated she doesn't care much for this sort of tradition and would rather stay at home than honour these servicemen by performing this engagement has been carried out by royal ladies for over a hundred years. By taking it on she was following in the footsteps of some very highly regarded royal women and I don't think it casts her in a good light to be treating it as something to be done or not done from year to year according to her whim.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

In essence Catherine is "just" the wife of the future Heir. Camilla is "just" the wife of the Heir. Anne is "just" a daughter of the Queen. That is all. It is lovely that they do representative things because they are exactly asked because they are in that position. But that almost insane and autistic numbering and statisticking of who was where in how many occasions is too idiot for words.

In other monarchies people and media are so much more relaxed with it. I have never seen numbers for Princess Benedikte of Denmark or Prince Carl Philip of Sweden or Princess Beatrix, do this, do that, do such, do so. When they grace an event with their royal attendance: wonderful. When they -sadly- are hindered to do so: no bad feelings. This unbelievable picking and prying like vultures on royals is just beyond belief.

Quote:
I think if she didn't intend to keep doing it, she shouldn't have started doing it. By her attitude to this event I think Kate has demonstrated she doesn't care much for this sort of tradition and would rather stay at home than honour these servicemen by performing this engagement has been carried out by royal ladies for over a hundred years. By taking it on she was following in the footsteps of some very highly regarded royal women and I don't think it casts her in a good light to be treating it as something to be done or not done from year to year according to her whim.
But the servicemen were honoured. By no one else than His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus himself. The whole **** was just that media are not satisfied with the future King himself giving acte de prèsence. They just wanted to see Catherine. Not because the ladies and gentlemen of the media give a damn' about these military but just to make pictures and to generate traffic on their sites to comment on her appearance, on her dress, on her make-up. That is all. Now they blow it up out of all proportions. Et voilà: they have generated money-making traffic on their sites too, by opening their sewers for vitriolic comments.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am wary of believing that it was solely Kate that decided she wasn't going to go and her "uncaring" absence is to be laid totally at her doorstop. As this was an official royal engagement in the court circular and an event that has happened for years, it would have had to be an engagement approved fully by HM. It just seems too obvious to me that this year's event was planned ahead of time to be exactly the way it was. The Queen has a keen eye for how things should be done.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill in this case IMO.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But the servicemen were honoured. By no one else than His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus himself. The whole **** was just that media are not satisfied with the future King himself giving acte de prèsence. They just wanted to see Catherine. Not because the ladies and gentlemen of the media give a damn' about these military but just to make pictures and to generate traffic on their sites to comment on her appearance, on her dress, on her make-up. That is all. Now they blow it up out of all proportions. Et voilà: they have generated money-making traffic on their sites too, by opening their sewers for vitriolic comments.

Well then maybe Kate shouldn't do anything get rid of the nanny and be a full time mum. Because her hair clothes etc are interesting to most of us and so like to see her photos etc. She was with Will long enough before they married to know what she was in for. I don't read the comments and I'm sure she doesn't either. Wish the media didn't get blamed for everything. In this case I think her office messed up with the timing of her engagements

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
This event hasn't only been carried out by royal women. I know the media keeps saying that Catherine broke tradition, but she didn't. In the last 100 years there have been quite a few royal men that carried out the event.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family