The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-16-2016, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
Camilla and Anne don't have anything on schedule for tomorrow, neither does Kate. If you are surmising that the former may be busy anyways with some unannounced activity, then we can say the same for the latter.....

If, by handing over the job to Kate, Anne was no longer responsible for the job of passing out the shamrocks, then by the same logic, Kate has now handed it over to William.

However, I question that logic, now that William has done the last investiture then does that mean that none of the ones who did it before can do it again? Why, after others did the shamrock pass, did the QM go back to doing it again. I think you may see some error in the logic that you put forth.
Missing the point again.

The CC rarely lists Camilla & Charles engagements and rarely foreign visits.
Their trip to the Balkans was never in the future engagement section but they are currently in the Balkans until Friday.

The POW website listed their itinerary and it is posted in their thread on this website.

The CC does not list all engagements.

Princess Anne attending Cheltenham is a reasonable assumption as she was there today and will be there on Friday so thinking she might be there on Thursday is somewhat reasonable.

Missing the point again
Investiture have always been done by multiple people.

Handing over duties and having someone fill in are two different things.
Handing over duties is the same as leaving the job.
Filling in is the same as someone filling in at work when someone else is on vacation or sick.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You have missed my point. If it has to be a female member of the RF handing out the shamrocks (which it obviously does not considering there is nothing stating that - just that a member does it. And the men have been represented over the years) then why is it Kate? Why is she the only one that is being criticized for not being there. She is not the only female member. All of those I listed are members of the RF, working or not. And so why is their absence not being noted? Why? Because they are not booked to do the event. But they are not being asked to come up with an excuse or reason for not attending. Because it would be obviously silly to do so. They aren't going because they aren't.

Well, neither is Kate. She isn't going because she isn't booked to do so. But she is being criticized. Unfairly. And people want a reason why. Well, the only reason required is that she isn't. William is doing it this year.
And I think you are missing the other poster's point: Because they are not working royals. We expect working royals to do this silly thing called work. They get paid to do so.

Louise is 12 and in school. Zara is a totally private citizen. Bea and Eugenie have jobs (Bea is usually in NY for hers).

So no they aren't asked for excuses because they have no reason to be at these events in the first place.

As for Camilla?? It is unreasonable to expect Kate to be in London the day before Norfolk, but you want Camilla to fly back from the Balkans for the event. Their tour is not over till Friday.

Anne is busy at her own events with the races. She is a patron for it.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
And I think you are missing the other poster's point: Because they are not working royals. We expect working royals to do this silly thing called work. They get paid to do so.
Could you clarify this for me? Who pays them? Do they work by the hour or are they on salary? Do they get paid weekly, monthly or yearly? I'd like to know.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Royal Highness

Working members are paid with a grace and favor residence.

Security is also paid for working members.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The tradition is the passing out of shamrocks. That's it. Even that isn't an unbroken tradition since they didn't do it during the world wars. This isn't the ceremony of the keys which has been done nightly for 700 years. The Irish Guards will get their shamrocks from William just like the Welsh got their leeks earlier this year without a Royal doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Good point. The tradition is maintained. The Irish Guards will receive theirs from their Colonel who was scheduled to be present and all will be well.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Not all of them

Duke of York has a lease on Royal Lodge (75 yrs) and had to agree minimum £5m refurbishment plus £1m lease price. As he spent £7.5m on refurbishment, Crown estates let him off the £1m. Lots of detail on Wiki.

The Wessexes pay Crown Estates over £90k pa (increasing by RPI) for Bagshott Park. It also needed renovation which was originally estimated to cost £2.18m, with £1.6m from the Crown Estate and the remainder being paid by the prince (bank of Mum, I should think).

Anne owns Gatcombe

All of those have rooms for o/night stays at either SJP or BP when doing royal duties.

The Kents and Glos do not (as far as I can discover) pay rent but do pay for water, electricity etc. I think this stems from an old agreement that as they were not allowed to get a job and have a salary; and were required to help the Queen re royal duties, they would not pay rent. They do not earn a salary from the Queen.

The "grace and favour" apartments are within the gift of the Queen. Most are rented out now. Prince Michael of KEnt does pay rent - cant remember exactly but its market rate c.£150000 pa

I assume that the Cambs and Harry do not pay rent.

EDIT: totally off subject but wanted to reply to previous post.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-17-2016, 02:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

^^^Thank you cepe for supplying us with the facts.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Not all of them

Duke of York has a lease on Royal Lodge (75 yrs) and had to agree minimum £5m refurbishment plus £1m lease price. As he spent £7.5m on refurbishment, Crown estates let him off the £1m. Lots of detail on Wiki.

The Wessexes pay Crown Estates over £90k pa (increasing by RPI) for Bagshott Park. It also needed renovation which was originally estimated to cost £2.18m, with £1.6m from the Crown Estate and the remainder being paid by the prince (bank of Mum, I should think).

Anne owns Gatcombe

All of those have rooms for o/night stays at either SJP or BP when doing royal duties.

The Kents and Glos do not (as far as I can discover) pay rent but do pay for water, electricity etc. I think this stems from an old agreement that as they were not allowed to get a job and have a salary; and were required to help the Queen re royal duties, they would not pay rent. They do not earn a salary from the Queen.

The "grace and favour" apartments are within the gift of the Queen. Most are rented out now. Prince Michael of KEnt does pay rent - cant remember exactly but its market rate c.£150000 pa

I assume that the Cambs and Harry do not pay rent.

EDIT: totally off subject but wanted to reply to previous post.
All the working members have grace & favor residence in London.

The Queen & Philip in Buckingham Palace
Prince Charles and Camilla in Clarence House
William and Catherine in Kensington Palace Apt. 1A
Harry lives in Nottingham Cottage within Kensington Palace grounds
Prince Andrew in Buckingham Palace
Prince Edward & Sophie in Buckingham Palace
Princess Anne in St. James' Palace
Duke and Duchess of Gloucester in Kensington Palace Apt 1
Duke and Duchess of Kent in Wren House in KP grounds
Princess Alexandra in St. James' Palace

The Michael are now paying rent because they are not considered working members of the family.

Princess Beatrice and Eugenie have an apartment in St. James' Palace that their father has paid rent on since 2013. They are not considered working royals.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=Macrobug;1872393]Why is it a PR blunder?

It is a blunder because if the press is gunning for you, the last thing you should do is hand them more ammunition and a bigger target.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Nobility

FYI everyone -- far too much incorrect information about the "115 year tradition" -- not exactly Royal Musings: oh what utter tosh or Research Matters
Old 03-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Lady Marlboro;1872518]
Quote:
Why is it a PR blunder?

It is a blunder because if the press is gunning for you, the last thing you should do is hand them more ammunition and a bigger target.
I disagree. IMHO it would be a blunder if her presence had been officially announced and she pulled out at the last minute.

Today is St. Patrick's day and IMO it is quite possible that a Norfolk pre-school is having its own celebration to which families were invited. If that is the case, then I can see why at least one parent would want to be present.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Cheeks starring as snake #4 ☘

Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Cheeks starring as snake #4 ☘

That or "Third Shamrock on the left."
Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Too Distracting

Perhaps it was thought that dozens of pictures of Catherine and her clothes would distract from C&C's visit to the Balkans. There have already twice as many comments on this thread about Catherine's absence than on the entire C&C Balkan thread. And the mainstream media would likely be similarly unbalanced in its reportage.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think everyone should move on now. Catherine will likely be back on shamrock duty next St. Patrick's Day.

Catherine is now preparing to be on official duty tomorrow. Let's move on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=TLLK;1872533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post

I disagree. IMHO it would be a blunder if her presence had been officially announced and she pulled out at the last minute.

Today is St. Patrick's day and IMO it is quite possible that a Norfolk pre-school is having its own celebration to which families were invited. If that is the case, then I can see why at least one parent would want to be present.
According to some, it was on her schedule until last week. She is said to have canceled on March 11th.

Is this true? Prior to March 10th, was the passing of shamrocks listed on W&K website/twitter etc or the CC as one of her engagements?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Queen Camilla;1872664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

According to some, it was on her schedule until last week. She is said to have canceled on March 11th.

Is this true? Prior to March 10th, was the passing of shamrocks listed on W&K website/twitter etc or the CC as one of her engagements?
No. I have been tracking the difference between announced engagements and what actually happens (I know, I am sad).

It has never been published anywhere. Williams attendance is on the Royal website and was only put on there on either 15/16th. That is when Catherine's engagement on 18th was also posted.

its over enthusiastic "fans" assuming that she would be there and posting on their blogs.

They created their own disappointment!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

[QUOTE=Queen Camilla;1872664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

No, she wasn't scheduled to attend this year. Catherine did not pull out of this engagement, despite the nonsense chatter on Twitter.

She will likely be back on shamrock duty next year. The engagement is done and over with, so I think the folks on Twitter should cool down, and look forward to Catherine's engagement in Norfolk tomorrow.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=cepe;1872669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

No. I have been tracking the difference between announced engagements and what actually happens (I know, I am sad).

It has never been published anywhere. Williams attendance is on the Royal website and was only put on there on either 15/16th. That is when Catherine's engagement on 18th was also posted.

its over enthusiastic "fans" assuming that she would be there and posting on their blogs.

They created their own disappointment!
Thank you for your detective work cepe!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah, and I think it was tweeted out on the 11th. And in that announcement only William was mentioned. So THEY never said she would be there, people assumed.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family