The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-16-2016, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^You've summed up the reaction of the press as a "manufactured situation" perfectly Macrobug. The Irish guards will assemble tomorrow on St. Patrick's day. The Honorary Colonel will be present at the event. Shamrocks will be distributed. A toast will be drunk. The band will play. A giant Irish wolfhound will steal the show. And the press will cover the engagement.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

It appears this 'tradition' is much more flexible than we were first lead to believe

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie
The Queen Mother 1st presented shamrocks in 1927 and regularly from 1965, Cheltenham permitting

Lisa Philips @LiLiPhilips
So the Queen Mother was excused for watching horses, and Kate is slammed for looking after her children?

Dickie Arbiter ‏@RoyalDickie
Except The Queen Mother was in her mid 60s and more often it was Shamrocks & Cheltenham the same day

Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know that the Press will cover the engagement as fully as they would have if Kate was there, TLLK (clothes, hat, hair.)

If, God forbid and please let it not be so, the Queen were to die tomorrow then as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and later Prince and Princess of Wales, William and Kate won't be able to pace their engagements. Just like their father in law their diaries will be full and that will include daily engagements, followed by evening ones followed by ones the next day as well.

After all, Kate isn't being asked to run a marathon then follow it next day by a speech at the UN. These are two reasonably easy and pleasant Royal engagements, the former meaning a great deal to the Irish Guards. Kate should be honoured to visit such a famed regiment with a great history, not the other way round.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Gentry

Can't help thinking that if Kate did attend and William did not, there would be comments of how William, the regiment Colonel, was neglecting his responsibility.

As for the press coverage - is that the main concern? Whether there is press coverage or not, the shamrock presentation will happen. The regiment will not fall apart if Daily Fail doesn't cover it. I don't think that media coverage has any bearing on this and isn't a factor.

I am not sure why K&W future as POW is being discussed. Yes, their life will change when that happens. But that is in the future. Today the topic is PW attending the St Paddy's shamrock presentation. Here, in the present, K&W are operating as heir to the heir. I am sure they are preparing for the future. But that is in the future.

I am sure Kate was honoured to do the presentation. Likewise, Anne, Edward, George, QM and the rest when they did it. And tomorrow, William will be honoured to do so.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know that the Press will cover the engagement as fully as they would have if Kate was there, TLLK (clothes, hat, hair.)

If, God forbid and please let it not be so, the Queen were to die tomorrow then as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and later Prince and Princess of Wales, William and Kate won't be able to pace their engagements. Just like their father in law their diaries will be full and that will include daily engagements, followed by evening ones followed by ones the next day as well.

After all, Kate isn't being asked to run a marathon then follow it next day by a speech at the UN. These are two reasonably easy and pleasant Royal engagements, the former meaning a great deal to the Irish Guards. Kate should be honoured to visit such a famed regiment with a great history, not the other way round.
Catherine has been honored to carry out the role of issuing shamrocks to the Irish Guards. She seem to enjoy this engagement every year. Folks shouldnt be turning this back on Catherine, because she have to be in Norfolk an official engagement the next day.

Is it disappointing that she won't be there? Yeah, but she's got a job to do too. She couldn't make it this year. I just think the palace should've explained why she couldn't be there in a more clear way. I only say that, because she attends every year. I think she and the kids are going back to Anmer early. She can't be in two places at once.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Then IMHO we're fortunate that the focus will be upon the Irish Guards and their mascot without the annoying photos accompanied by the estimated prices of Kate's hat, shoes and coat.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Richard Palmer and even the Daily Mail should be ashamed on how they've tried to turn this on Catherine. If she can't make it do to other commitments, well then, she can't make it. I've always said, if she could be there, she would be there. She has formed a relationship with the Irish Guards and always enjoy giving them shamrocks, talking to them and participating in the annual photo and toast.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobug View Post
If the tradition really is that a female member does it then they have a number of ladies who are available - not just Kate. Why not a blood princess? The Yorks, Anne, Zara...even Edward's daughter. Why are they not being criticized? Kate has done it for the last few years. If the argument is that she should continue because she already has done it then one could argue that Anne dropped the ball by discontinuing herself after doing it for several years.
Isn't this going too far?

Why go after a 12 year old? Louise is still in school.

Suggesting the media should criticize a 12 year rather than a 34 year old seem odd. Supporting Catherine is one thing but expecting the media to criticize children IMO is crossing the line.

Why complain about the media and then expect the media to criticize the overworked Anne when she passes some of her duties to the younger members.

Zara is not a working member of the BRF. Eugenie and Beatrice are not considered working members of the BRF.

See drop down list of names of people considered working members of BRF.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...sandtimes.aspx
Old 03-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All of this negative press regarding Kate and her lack of appearance to pass out the traditional St. Patrick Day shamrocks reminds me of the esteemed work of William Shakespeare. Its all "Much Ado About Nothing".

These days, the Cambridges can't get a fair shake no matter what they do.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Since their marriage the Cambridges have received overwhelmingly positive press, in comparison to Charles, the Yorks (including the Princesses) and Harry. Even the Queen's had her controversies (the 'Nazi salute' and Britex comments for example.) The only consistent criticism William and Kate have had has been in the past few weeks.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Isn't this going too far?

Why go after a 12 year old? Louise is still in school.

Suggesting the media should criticize a 12 year rather than a 34 year old seem odd. Supporting Catherine is one thing but expecting the media to criticize children IMO is crossing the line.

Why complain about the media and then expect the media to criticize the overworked Anne when she passes some of her duties to the younger members.

Zara is not a working member of the BRF. Eugenie and Beatrice are not considered working members of the BRF.

See drop down list of names of people considered working members of BRF.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...sandtimes.aspx
You have missed my point. If it has to be a female member of the RF handing out the shamrocks (which it obviously does not considering there is nothing stating that - just that a member does it. And the men have been represented over the years) then why is it Kate? Why is she the only one that is being criticized for not being there. She is not the only female member. All of those I listed are members of the RF, working or not. And so why is their absence not being noted? Why? Because they are not booked to do the event. But they are not being asked to come up with an excuse or reason for not attending. Because it would be obviously silly to do so. They aren't going because they aren't.

Well, neither is Kate. She isn't going because she isn't booked to do so. But she is being criticized. Unfairly. And people want a reason why. Well, the only reason required is that she isn't. William is doing it this year.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

I think people were indulgent and tolerant when they were Newly weds and after that the appeal of new parents and adorable baby's carried them. The novelty of having a young fresh new princess was appealing also. But IMO the bloom is rapidly going off the rose at this point.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

There is zero evidence that a few weeks of 'negative' press has any impact with the public.

There is lots going on in Britain at the moment, the EU referendum being a big one. I personally don't know many people losing sleep over whether Kate is handing out shamrocks.

As Robert Jobson told the BBC, the tabloids giving the Cambridges grief now will be the same tabloids sucking up to them in India next month
Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Gentry

I completely agree with you. People in my clinic today were talking about the weather, the US elections, Syria, local gossip.

Not one of them mentioned the ground shaking scandal of Kate not handing out shamrocks.

When they got married, when the kids were born, when they came to Canada then yes, they were discussed.

For us, the royal watchers, we get caught up in this stuff. For the rest of the world, it really is not relevant.

So, in the grand scheme of life, the Great Shamrock Scandal of 2016 is a bit of a dud. Sorry, Richard Palmar.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't understand all this 'the tradition has been broken' stuff. If that's the case, the tradition was broken in 1950 when King George VI presented shamrocks
King George VI presented the shamrocks that year because he was Colonel in Chief of the regiment and it was the 50th anniversary of the founding of the regiment which made it a special occasion.

Grand Duke Jean made the presentation in 1989 as Royal Colonel (he had been in the Irish Guards during WWII). The regiment was stationed in Belize at the time. The Queen Mother was almost 89 and couldn't make the trip. She also couldn't make the trip to Germany in 1999 so Prince Edward represented her.

In the current climate, Kate not showing up for something like this, is a major PR blunder. Also with regard to her having an engagement in Norfolk the next day, she has done engagements on consecutive days before like last week. And it is not like she has to walk get from Hounslow to Norfolk.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
King George VI presented the shamrocks that year because he was Colonel in Chief of the regiment and it was the 50th anniversary of the founding of the regiment which made it a special occasion.

Grand Duke Jean made the presentation in 1989 as Royal Colonel (he had been in the Irish Guards during WWII). The regiment was stationed in Belize at the time. The Queen Mother was almost 89 and couldn't make the trip. She also couldn't make the trip to Germany in 1999 so Prince Edward represented her.
Yes and then there were the years the Queen mum was busy at the races and couldn't make it.

My point is it's incorrect to say Kate is breaking tradition by missing this year. The tradition was broken long ago. Also now that the regiment has a royal colonel, William is it's first, there is even less need to have a female royal there year in and year out.

If it was that big of a deal, another royal woman could go this year in Kate's place. There is no rule that says it must be the wife of the royal colonel because William is the first to hold the position
Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Gentry

Why is it a PR blunder? Why is Kate's absence the PR blunder and all the other royal women who are not booked for something tomorrow (which includes Anne who also has a recent history of presenting the shamrocks) get a free ride? It is being discussed only because some reporters have made it an issue. We have no idea how the scheduling was done. It is all speculation and it is not fair to criticize people based on speculation. The facts, the hard, cold facts are that in the past royal family members have handed out the shamrocks, sometimes male usually female. Anne has handed them out several years running. Kate has been the most recent one. Several years it has been missed. William is the Colonel and this year it is his honour to do so.

Maybe Kate wanted to do it, maybe she has a hissy fit about it, maybe the regiment didn't want her, maybe they are ready to rebel because she isn't. 'We don't know and I think it is a big stretch to call this a PR blunder when the only people calling it such are the reporters who manufactured the whole issue in the first place. Next month they may be going on about how the Cambridges are the bestest, brightest stars in the Royal Crown. It is hard to take them seriously.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

The tradition is the passing out of shamrocks. That's it. Even that isn't an unbroken tradition since they didn't do it during the world wars. This isn't the ceremony of the keys which has been done nightly for 700 years. The Irish Guards will get their shamrocks from William just like the Welsh got their leeks earlier this year without a Royal doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
You have missed my point. If it has to be a female member of the RF handing out the shamrocks (which it obviously does not considering there is nothing stating that - just that a member does it. Why is she the only one that is being criticized for not being there. She is not the only female member. All of those I listed are members of the RF, working or not. And so why is their absence not being noted? Why? Because they are not booked to do the event. But they are not being asked to come up with an excuse or reason for not attending. Because it would be obviously silly to do so. They aren't going because they aren't.
Quote:
Why is Kate's absence the PR blunder and all the other royal women who are not booked for something tomorrow (which includes Anne who also has a recent history of presenting the shamrocks) get a free ride?
No, you are missing the point big time...

Supporting Catherine is one thing but going after other people defeats the purpose.

Catherine took over the responsibility from Anne four years ago.

Once Anne handed over, it is no longer Anne's duty.

Catherine attended for four years so the media expected her to continue. A reasonable expectation, especially considering her husband's position with the unit.

What makes you think Princess Anne is not booked?

Today, is Ladies Day at the Cheltenham and the Princess Anne is there for the Queen Mother Champion Chase.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick Thursday at Cheltenham, Camilla sometimes presented the Cup at Cheltenham. This year, Camilla is in the Balkans so we will have to see who presents the Cup.

On March 18th, Princess Anne is scheduled to present the Gold Cup at Cheltenham.

Princess Anne took over some of the Queen Mother's duties including Cheltenham and presenting the Shamrocks to the regiment.

Princess Anne and Camilla share the Cheltenham duties depending on their schedule. Catherine was given the duty of presenting the shamrocks because her husband became Colonel of the regiment in 2011.

Do you want to blame the Balkans and start a third World War?
(That will not help, as Anne has relinquished her duties to the regiment in 2011 so Princess Anne still would not have attended even if Camilla was able to make Cheltenham.)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 PM
Gentry

Anne don't have anything on schedule for tomorrow, neither does Kate. If you are surmising that the former may be busy anyways with some unannounced activity, then we can say the same for the latter.....

If, by handing over the job to Kate, Anne was no longer responsible for the job of passing out the shamrocks, then by the same logic, Kate has now handed it over to William.

However, I question that logic, now that William has done the last investiture then does that mean that none of the ones who did it before can do it again? Why, after others did the shamrock pass, did the QM go back to doing it again. I think you may see some error in the logic that you put forth.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family