The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

The actual tradition is that shamrocks are handed out to the Irish Guards.

The Royal Colonel, Colonel of the Regiment and sometimes a female member of the royal family have done this. So has King George VI and Duc Jean of Luxembourg.

I checked the CC and I cant find any record of any member of the royal family doing this 2001-2003, 2009-2011. 2009 might be in question because there are no engagements on that day at all. So between 2001-2015, there were 5 yrs (poss 6) where a member of the BRF didn't hand out shamrocks.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it was a bad palace PR move to not explain why Catherine is unable to attend this year St. Patrick's Day Parade, after she's been caring out the role for a couple of years. I think it's all due to her engagement in Norfolk the next day, but the palace could have given a little explanation for her absence. Especially, you know everyone expects the couple to carry out this duty together every year. Bad move on their part. Things become sticky when there's less transparency.

Sometimes I think I should be working in the Cambridge's press office, lol.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I continue to believe this was down to the fact that she have to be in Norfolk for an engagement the next day. Catherine and William seem to enjoy doing this engagement together. I think if she could have been there, she would have been there. This tradition hasn't been broken.
She can very easily get from London to King's Lynn on the train on the evening. I really see no just cause for her to not attend.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The actual tradition is that shamrocks are handed out to the Irish Guards.

The Royal Colonel, Colonel of the Regiment and sometimes a female member of the royal family have done this. So has King George VI and Duc Jean of Luxembourg.

I checked the CC and I cant find any record of any member of the royal family doing this 2001-2003, 2009-2011. 2009 might be in question because there are no engagements on that day at all. So between 2001-2015, there were 5 yrs (poss 6) where a member of the BRF didn't hand out shamrocks.
There are pictures of Anne doing it in 2009: Princess Anne Visits The 1st Battalion Irish Guards On St Patrick?s Da | Getty Images
Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Nobility

A lot of the news coverage recently has been about Prince William being 'work-shy', so perhaps it was a move to show that he is working but then it has had the knock-on effect of saying Catherine is 'shunning' her duties

Even though, as mentioned above, they have both been involved on previous occasions, could be a way to highlight the Prince, who knows
Old 03-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post

I thought she did but the CC doesn't say so which is why I questioned it. I think my real point is the tradition is the shamrocks, not who gives them out. And William is Royal Colonel of the Regiment, so I think its appropriate he does it.

Although its disappointing Catherine wont be there.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

There have been exceptions in the past. It hasn't always been a female royal and given William is the first British royal to be regimental colonel it's far more important he's there.

Kate will be there most years but now that Irish Guards have a royal colonel, having a female royal there isn't as important
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
There have been exceptions in the past. It hasn't always been a female royal and given William is the first British royal to be regimental colonel it's far more important he's there.

Kate will be there most years but now that Irish Guards have a royal colonel, having a female royal there isn't as important
Yeah, this has become an event for them to do together. It's also a way for Catherine to continue forming a relationship with the Irish Guards. The palace should have explained this situation, instead of just letting down everyone. I'm very disappointed she's not going, but due to her being in Norfolk for an engagement the next day, I understand.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yeah, this has become an event for them to do together. It's also a way for Catherine to continue forming a relationship with the Irish Guards. The palace should have explained this situation, instead of just letting down everyone. I'm very disappointed she's not going, but due to her being in Norfolk for an engagement the next day, I understand.
The tradition came about because in the past the regimental colonels weren't royal so a female member of the family would do the honours with shamrocks

William is the first royal colonel in Irish Guards history. Now it's become much less important for Kate to be there every single year. She will go most years but she can miss a year here and there
Old 03-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just read Richard's article on Cathetine's absence, but he seem to make look like Catherine just want to stay home that day, and fail to mention that she have an engagement the very next day.

Duchess of Cambridge pulls out of St Patrick's Day ceremony | Royal | News | Daily Express

It's just nice to see William and Catherine on official duty together. They already do very few joint engagements these days. Something I look forward to on St. Patrick's Day.

I have said, Catherine should be appointed her own regiment as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

"Aides said that the Duchess had enjoyed the duty in previous years and would undoubtedly do it again in future but did not want the public to think that she was taking on the responsibility annually"
Disappointing to say the least on Kate's part. I am going to be critical of Kate on this occasion especially considering their extremely bad press recently. Yes she is a mother of 2 young children but this engagement isn't a marathon, it isn't in an outer realm, yes she has an engagement the next day but she is fond of travel by helicopter to get about so nothing to stop her making use of that again and it can't be that taxing on her as she always seems to have fun on it. KP are repeatedly making mistakes and creating even more bad press. Dickie Arbiter tweeted that nothing stopped the Queen Mum from making this engagement but then the older royals understand service.

Yes i understand William is the first royal colonel of the Irish guards but the idea of the shamrocks being presented by a female royal is a nice touch and one that should be maintained. William has role roles to play in the St Patricks day Irish Guard engagement as well that only he can do as Colonel

Old 03-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

William's colonel ship of the Irish Guards is probably not a long lasting position. As Prince of Wales, he will probably take over for his father as colonel of the Welsh Guards. Maybe the Palace wanted to disassociate this event as something the Kate does every year.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William's colonel ship of the Irish Guards is probably not a long lasting position. As Prince of Wales, he will probably take over for his father as colonel of the Welsh Guards. Maybe the Palace wanted to disassociate this event as something the Kate does every year.

This is a joint engagement for this couple that many looked forward to come St. Patrick's Day. Although I still think her participation didn't work out due to her being in Norfolk and preparing for her engagement the next day, her absence is kind of a let down.

The Cambridge's have gained some bad press lately, and that happens and part of the job, but they and their officials could have avoided some stuff.

I'm looking forward to the busy ceremonial summer, because this stuff is a bit silly.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand all this 'the tradition has been broken' stuff. If that's the case, the tradition was broken in 1950 when King George VI presented shamrocks
Old 03-16-2016, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think it was a bad palace PR move to not explain why Catherine is unable to attend this year St. Patrick's Day Parade, after she's been caring out the role for a couple of years. I think it's all due to her engagement in Norfolk the next day, but the palace could have given a little explanation for her absence. Especially, you know everyone expects the couple to carry out this duty together every year. Bad move on their part. Things become sticky when there's less transparency.

Sometimes I think I should be working in the Cambridge's press office, lol.
I tend to think there is a piece of the puzzle that we do not know. It will not surprise me at all to find out after the fact that Catherine had another commitment - one that needed to be discreet and they did not want the public (and the press aware). Possibly something with the children or with one of her charities - but there is a reason she needs to be in Norfolk on the 17th. She is taking a lot of heat on this one and it doesn't make any sense.

...and I don't believe for a minute that leak from an 'aide' that she doesn't want people to expect her every year. She is too respectful to rebel just to rebel. I too am disappointed - but will wait and see how this plays out.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

Quote:
This is a joint engagement for this couple that many looked forward to come St. Patrick's Day. Although I still think her participation didn't work out due to her being in Norfolk and preparing for her engagement the next day, her absence is kind of a let down.

The Cambridge's have gained some bad press lately, and that happens and part of the job, but they and their officials could have avoided some stuff.

I'm looking forward to the busy ceremonial summer, because this stuff is a bit silly.

William was not there in 2012 when Kate did it solo because he was in the Falklands. William is going to be there and he, not Kate, is the colonel of the regiment. If it was the other way around and William wasn't going tomorrow and Kate was, would anyone complain that William wasn't there?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William was not there in 2012 when Kate did it solo because he was in the Falklands. William is going to be there and he, not Kate, is the colonel of the regiment. If it was the other way around and William wasn't going tomorrow and Kate was, would anyone complain that William wasn't there?

Yeah. Catherine shouldn't be getting heat for this, but it's kid of disappointing that she can't be there this year.

Everyone knows William is the Colonel of the Regiment, but it's just that this is an engagement folks look forward to them performing together. It's beautiful to see them with the Irish Guards on St. Patrick's Day. Hopefully, she'll be back on shamrock duty next year.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Gentry

People liking and looking forward to the couple doing it together is not a reason to criticize Kate when she isn't there. The only tradition is that a member of the royal family does the presentation. This year they will have not only a member of the RF but also their Colonel doing it.

If the tradition really is that a female member does it then they have a number of ladies who are available - not just Kate. Why not a blood princess? The Yorks, Anne, Zara...even Edward's daughter. Why are they not being criticized? Kate has done it for the last few years. If the argument is that she should continue because she already has done it then one could argue that Anne dropped the ball by discontinuing herself after doing it for several years.

I see this as a manufactured opportunity by some to criticize Kate. There is no issue. The regiment is not being snubbed. They have their own Colonel doing the honours. People may be disappointed that it is not Kate but that is their problem. Does it mean that for all other events that some other RF members attends and Kate doesn't, Kate is "snubbing" them or at fault because people wanted her?

The media have twisted this into an issue of Kate not going. Reality is that William is the one who is going. He is the one who is booked. Kate has not refused or cancelled. She is no more at fault than all the other family members who also are not going. Richard Palmer has created a situation by coming up with an excuse that may or may not be true. He has manufactured an issue where none exists except on twitter and blogs ie in the minds of people not at all associated. Kate is no more at fault for not attending this engagement than all the other engagements that she was never going to attend anyways because it was never hers to attend. We might as well criticize her for not attending all the other engagements in the diary that the other RF members are going to. That is how silly this all is.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Was an official reason given about Kate's absence? It is untrue that there are some engagement clashes going on, as Kate was seen going back to Norfolk on twitter.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Gentry

Why does there need to be an official reason for her not attending? Do all the other RF members who also are not attending need to give a reason? She is not attending because she is not the one booked for this engagement. William is.

There is no issue here. All there is is speculation and a manufactered situation created by certain journalists who are trying to sell a story angle.

Kate isn't going because she is not booked to go. End of story. Non-issue.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family