The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't get Richard Palmer's arguments at all today on Twitter. He complains about the addiction center not getting a lot of coverage. Most of the time we get these quickie article with arrival pics that are mostly - Here's Kate wearing such dress which cost so much and shots of wind blowing her hair. Then later on maybe we see an updated article with some quotes and some new photos.

However, the part I don't get is. The reporters know where she is going. They could have put together the background info about the addiction center beforehand. Call Action on Addiction and ask them why this is needed. All before Kate even shows up.

Then his second argument of the day - that people are losing interest in the royals and therefore we need to know more about there private lives so then people will be more interested in the public work. So if we learn that Will is playing hours of FIFA 16 trying to keep Aston Villa in the virtual premier league but they still lose. Or that Kate is a secret QVC addict and someone is getting a Fergie Flat Iron in Royal purple this Christmas. Or Nanny Maria is at war with George over him flushing his socks daily down the Royal commode. Is any of this going to make you read the next article on Kate visiting a school or William a homeless shelter if you weren't going to already.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yeah, his argument was interesting. He said that royal bloggers and fans are bored with the current royal story. That most people aren't interested in the charity/official work of the royals. It's the glamour and soap opera that interest the public/media, so they're going to have to start sharing a bit more of their private lives.

In a way I can see his point. The public loves a good scandal, so a happily married couple just doesn't sell the way a dysfunctional couple would. There are only so many articles they can write about Kate/William and their normal family activities. Having said that, I don't see how releasing more photos will change anything. If the media/fans want glamour and soap opera, releasing photos of their every day lives won't give them any of that.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

The thing is the British Royals aren't celebrities. Sure there is an element of 'celebrity' but they're not celebrities themselves.

This notion that there must always be a story or 'drama' is perverse imo.

Do political reporters want to know what games the Defence Secretary plays on his xbox. No they just cover the event.

Richard Palmer will be waiting until the cows come home before the royals open up their private lives any more than they're already doing.

The country is a constitutional monarchy. They play a role in our government. The royals aren't there to entertain Richard Palmer.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Its Palmer being Palmer.

It just wasn't about Kate. He said on Twitter today that interest in Harry is also waning. He said newspapers didn't really cover his tour in South Africa.

He said no one is interested in Charles and Camilla. He said no press covered Charles and Camilla in Australia.

It was just a rambling mess.

He was basically having a pop at the British Royals.

I stopped following him but read his timeline today.
IMHO he and the other members of the press know that interest in their "private lives" drives their sales. Until Prince Harry is engaged/married there is very likely to be a drop in sales again. These things are cyclical.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yeah, his argument was interesting. He said that royal bloggers and fans are bored with the current royal story. That most people aren't interested in the charity/official work of the royals. It's the glamour and soap opera that interest the public/media, so they're going to have to start sharing a bit more of their private lives.

In a way I can see his point. The public loves a good scandal, so a happily married couple just doesn't sell the way a dysfunctional couple would. There are only so many articles they can write about Kate/William and their normal family activities. Having said that, I don't see how releasing more photos will change anything. If the media/fans want glamour and soap opera, releasing photos of their every day lives won't give them any of that.
I agree with you soapstar that scandal does sell and right now the Cambridges are not as "interesting." Happy family photos don't have the same appeal as headlines shrieking about affairs and divorce. I can hardly see the Windsors wanting a repeat of the 1990's.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

IMO, Palmer is merely offering back handed threats in the hopes that he or another member of the press will get some especially juicy bit of news. If not real, then imagined.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
IMO, Palmer is merely offering back handed threats in the hopes that he or another member of the press will get some especially juicy bit of news. If not real, then imagined.
exactly - i saw it as a veiled threat... if you dont let us stalk you and have access to your private lives no one will want you.

to me it just read as bitter
Old 12-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Sometimes Palmer has some points. And sometimes he sounds like a stressed and pressed man caught between a hard subject to report on, an editor that want to sell and a threat of newspapers being less imortant. The poor man sounds desperate at times and lashes out at the nearest thing, sometimes even tweeting about "how it's the editors choice"...
Old 12-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would hope no one would want there to be any drama like the 1990's. I think the purpose of Catherine's engagement was a juicy story. At least it's juicy enough for me. The cause of Action on Addiction is worthy of good coverage.

Perhaps the Cambridge's will release some Christmas pictures. That will give something for everyone to chew on for a while.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Sometimes Palmer has some points. And sometimes he sounds like a stressed and pressed man caught between a hard subject to report on, an editor that want to sell and a threat of newspapers being less imortant. The poor man sounds desperate at times and lashes out at the nearest thing, sometimes even tweeting about "how it's the editors choice"...

Yup. He does often just sound despairing, but his comments are inappropriate if he wants to be known as an objective reporter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 AM
Courtier

I agree with you all completely. Every time he feels the heat from his editor he takes to Twitter with his disgruntled diatribe. It then morphs into Machiavellian threats that the royals better start to jump when he says jump, or they'll be sorry. He wants it to be known that the media is the all-mighty power in the UK; it controls the narrative, it controls the mind of the public. The royals aren't being deferential enough; they need to bow before their master!

He feels his editor is taking his control away, to remedy that loss of control he must try to control others to restore the balance. It's a standard bullying mentality, a cycle of sorts.

He's right that fans like the soap opera. But I don't need the royals to provide that, when I already get it from the royal reporters, themselves. Richard Palmer is more histrionic than any character Susan Lucci ever played. He's our soap opera.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Royal Highness

I actually feel sorry for him. I'm afraid of how pressured he feels. It doesn't sound healthy and as a person who have burned myself out (so has my mother) I really hope his working situation isn't as bad as his tweets make it seem.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post

He's right that fans like the soap opera. But I don't need the royals to provide that, when I already get it from the royal reporters, themselves. Richard Palmer is more histrionic than any character Susan Lucci ever played. He's our soap opera.

Well he'll never be able to beat the sight of Susan Lucci at the Daytime Emmys dressed to the nines and bravely smiling facing yet another loss year after year after year until finally winning.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Well he'll never be able to beat the sight of Susan Lucci at the Daytime Emmys dressed to the nines and bravely smiling facing yet another loss year after year after year until finally winning.

He'd never be as classy as her. He'd be on his twitter trashing the winner before they even started their acceptance speech.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
He'd never be as classy as her. He'd be on his twitter trashing the winner before they even started their acceptance speech.

Just had to rewatch her finally winning again on YouTube. A real tear jerker that one and now I suddenly got a thread off topic again...

Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Watching the Chris and Madeleine interview where he talked about the Germanic tradition of celebrating on Christmas Eve, reminded me that the Windsors also celebrate on Christmas Eve. So really no side of the family is getting slighted, it's win-win. The BRF get the Cambridges on the 24th, and the Middletons get them on the 25th.

Most families aren't that lucky to have different traditions. Gotta love that Hanover influence.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Courtier

The Duchess of Cambridge has been snapped in the streets of London - busy doing her Christmas shopping.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has many photos and details.

(On my tablet - can't link.)
Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-shopping.html
Here is the link for daily mail.
Her coat and bag are gorgeous.
But she looks tired.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Accordin to the article, she was spotted shopping yesterday...I would have said the same day she attended the engagement with that coat...
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

IMO she has looked tired for months now. If she's as hands on with the baby as we hear that is probably why. My youngest granddaughter is a year old in a couple weeks and she's still not sleeping thru the night. My daughter looks tired part of the time too.

LaRae

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family