The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2015, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding Catherine's role have been moved to Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities .

Old 06-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We know how sweet he looks in newly released portraits.

Turns out that like most kids, Prince George also has something of a sweet tooth.

And on a recent outing to a deli and farm shop, his doting mom, Princess Kate, picked up something special for him.

During a stop at the café and farm shop Back to the Garden – in the village of Holt not far from the family's country home, Anmer Hall – "she bought a meringue for Prince George," a staffer tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.

"If you didn't know who she was, you would never know," the staffer adds. "She's incredibly down-to-earth, very gracious and extremely polite."
More: Princess Kate Picks Up Sweet Treat for Prince George : People.com

Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Gentry

https://twitter.com/livelovelaughvr/...259713?lang=en

"Kate will be undertaking a small number of official engagements in the next month but is still focusing on her family." Via @RoyalReporter

Can't think of any royal duties happening in the next month so likely these will be for her patronages and/or charities
Old 07-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that they're likely to be with her patronages. The June royal events are over and August/September sees the most senior royals at Balmoral.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Serene Highness

I often see Catherine refered to as the Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton in articles.
I was wondering if Diana's or the other royal ladies maiden names were used for some years after their marriages. Does anyone remember?
Or is it just for the sake of online search tools?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I often see Catherine refered to as the Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton in articles.
I was wondering if Diana's or the other royal ladies maiden names were used for some years after their marriages. Does anyone remember?
Or is it just for the sake of online search tools?
A prime example of this would be the future Queen Consort of the UK now known as The Duchess of Cornwall. Its very usual to see her referred to in the press as Camilla Parker-Bowles still.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They are famously competitive when it comes to sport, and now the Duchess of Cambridge has ensured that she will never be left behind when her husband goes diving by passing an advanced scuba course.

The Duke of Cambridge has been diving for much of his life, encouraged by his father the Prince of Wales, whom he succeeded last year as president of the British Sub-Aqua Club.

The Duchess’s pursuit of advanced diving qualifications, to enable her to dive to the same depth as the Duke, has until now remained a secret.

Kensington Palace confirmed to The Telegraph that the Duchess has passed a Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) Advanced Open Water Diver qualification, meaning she can dive to a depth of 30 metres (98ft).

It is the most advanced qualification taken by most recreational divers, as going any deeper involves inherent risks such as nitrogen narcosis, a sensation similar to drunkenness.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge qualifies as advanced diver - Telegraph
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Great. She can accomplish anything she sets her mind to. I think she's a very strong, intelligent lady.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Majesty

Nice! I love how well-rounded this couple is. It only helps them to better relate to the public, and what a fun activity to do together. I've never did SCUBA diving, but from what I've seen, it looks like one fascinating adventure.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Courtier

This is great - I'm all for living a physical life if you can - but I don't get the bit about diving to "look for sharks".

We've just had another attack here - the man in a coma because they can't stop the bleeding, last week a poor woman went back down to find her father, only to see him being eaten alive, we've all seen the footage of Mick Fanning in South Africa a week or so back being attacked, last night the news had footage of two large predators swimming off a beach that the police had to close.

Are the sharks in Mustique very small and toothless?

It sounds like the Duke and Duchess are not shark-diving in cages - but maybe they are, and there's more drama to the report for that bit not to be added in.

It doesn't make sense to just be unprotected and actually going looking for sharks - even if you need to carry a diving knife at that depth.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I say let the sharks have the ocean...I'll take the pool.

I think if as a parent you should not take these sorts of risks...especially if you have young children. It's bad enough the day to day risks but why add in high risk activities?

LaRae
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The odds of being killed in a shark attack is 1 in 300 million. Riding is a car is a way more dangerous activity.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Majesty

I didn't even think about sharks when reading this. My mind went to going SCUBA diving to look at pretty tropical fish, and other harmless sea creatures. However, with shark attacks happening more frequently, it's definitely worth thinking about, and taking proper precautions. Like Pranter, I prefer the pool, sans sharks, sand, and other kind of dirt that can be found at the beach, and I also agree that when one has small children, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to taking risks. More than likely, William, and Catherine are aware of the risks, and will probably have people who are experts advise them on the safest places to enjoy their hobby.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sharks pose almost no risk to scuba divers.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The odds of being killed in a shark attack is 1 in 300 million. Riding is a car is a way more dangerous activity.

I hope Mick Fanning knows this Skippyboo - I've just seen the promo for tonight's "60 Minutes" where there is an interview with him about his recent brush with the shark.

After six days out of the water he was still a bit jittery about going back in, but did for the filming. He rode a couple of waves in to shore, but then suddenly a shark fin popped up and that was that.

And that was back here in Oz, quite a way from South Africa.

The whole report is about the Duke going on shark dives when in Mustique and how now the Duchess can go with him.

I can only think they must be pretty harmless sharks if you're safe to go looking for them.

And yes Daria S - I'm happy just seeing the sea-horses or starfish, sharks not needed!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Sharks pose almost no risk to scuba divers.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I can't agree HRH Hermione - the man killed last week was diving, as have been other victims in Australian waters.

Even a navy man, on an exercise in Sydney Harbour a few years ago, lost and arm and a leg within sight of the windows of my flat.

I can only think the sharks the William, and now Catherine, are diving in search of, are a harmless type.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

Mick Fanning didn't die. Millions of people are killed in car accidents every year but most people will still get a in car and not think twice.

Even beds are more dangerous than sharks.

http://scuba.about.com/od/sharks/p/I...-Dangerous.htm

Also Caribbean very low shark attack rate

http://www.islands.com/truth-about-caribbean-sharks

Old 08-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Mick Fanning didn't die. Millions of people are killed in car accidents every year but most people will still get a in car and not think twice.

Even beds are more dangerous than sharks.

Dangers of Scuba Diving With Sharks

Also Caribbean very low shark attack rate

The Truth About Caribbean Sharks | Islands

That's good news Skippyboo.

I'm sure the Duke and Duchess wouldn't be doing anything dangerous on their shark-hunts.

It wouldn't make sense for them to put themselves in any danger, they already have more exciting lives than most people.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton obtains advanced scuba diving qualification | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
This is great - I'm all for living a physical life if you can - but I don't get the bit about diving to "look for sharks".

We've just had another attack here - the man in a coma because they can't stop the bleeding, last week a poor woman went back down to find her father, only to see him being eaten alive, we've all seen the footage of Mick Fanning in South Africa a week or so back being attacked, last night the news had footage of two large predators swimming off a beach that the police had to close.

Are the sharks in Mustique very small and toothless?

It sounds like the Duke and Duchess are not shark-diving in cages - but maybe they are, and there's more drama to the report for that bit not to be added in.

It doesn't make sense to just be unprotected and actually going looking for sharks - even if you need to carry a diving knife at that depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I can't agree HRH Hermione - the man killed last week was diving, as have been other victims in Australian waters.

Even a navy man, on an exercise in Sydney Harbour a few years ago, lost and arm and a leg within sight of the windows of my flat.

I can only think the sharks the William, and now Catherine, are diving in search of, are a harmless type.
I'm betting they did Mustique's Shark Cave dive - an advanced drift dive with schools of black tip reef sharks.
I think the tabloids just discovered that Catherine is certified, but I bet she's been so for awhile. The Middleton's have vacationed in Mustique for years haven't they, ample time for all of their kids to become divers if so inclined.
The deal with sharks and being in the ocean is the same as various animals and being in the wilderness on land.
I'll give a couple of examples: for most of the year the many deer that roam through my mom's California town are harmless and they shy away when I walk by, however, in the fall during the rut, I give the males a wide berth as they can be aggressive. I also know that very rarely (every couple of years) a mountain lion kills one of those deer somewhere in town, and mountain lions definitely will attack and kill humans - yet I still wander around the area. Last summer I ran into a Mountain Lion while camping in Big Sur. I've also seen bears almost every time I visit Yosemite. I still visit these places because any risk from wild animals is small, especially if I am alert and aware.
The marine environment is no different than land, most of the animals, including most sharks, are harmless and the dive operators who run scuba trips in Mustique know what marine animals are likely to be where and whether they are of concern.
I wonder, do the Cambridge's protection officers have to be scuba certified and go on the dives too?

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family