General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever Kate has been doing so far, I think most people would agree that she has certainly used / is using her potential by marrying William, and all that that means.

To me it seems like Catherine's adult life so far has been split between study, work, fun, family and love. Everyone no doubt has their own idea how much time should be spent on each of those things. Some people are very ambitious and focus on work to the exclusion of all else, others will make their family or their social life their priority. Catherine was lucky enough to have wealthy parents backing her up and she seems to have carved out a very nice life for herself, one that she'll be able to look back on and not feel like she's missed out on anything. We should all not live up to our potential in such a way.

I look forward to her adopting specific charities or causes.

Perhaps she will be strong enough to decide herself what suits her.

About five years or so ago it was reported that HRH the Duchess of Cambridge had said that all she really wanted out of life was to have a house and family. I don"t have access to the article,but it seems like she may be succeeding at her goal. Not every woman wants a business career. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. Personally, I think a lot of career women will someday regret not putting their families first. Not too many have the courage to forgo children in deference to their careers.

How true!

Whatever Kate has been doing so far, I think most people would agree that she has certainly used / is using her potential by marrying William, and all that that means.

And unlike many of those who have a career, she will never be able to retire from hers. In real life, not royal life, the Queen and the PoW would both be pensioners.

Didn't the Prince William himself suggest that Kate get a job? If I'm wrong in this, then I'm wrong. Sorry for upsetting you.

But I stand by what I said: her employment history isn't very impressive/meaningful considering her potential (coming from a very good school and seemingly intelligent).... Camelot23ca is right on the last part of her post (starting from the sentence about Princess Mathilde). In addition, Mathilde continued with her post-graduate degree and work after she started dating her husband. Also, Kate's choice of working for her parents entitled her to certain conveniences she likely would not have enjoyed while working for others (taking time off to go to events, vacations with William, etc.). You may have other views, but to each his own. :).

Kate graduated from St. Andrews in 2005. Six years out of University most graduates are still trying to find their "niche" in the workforce. So the question begs to be answered....Is everyone judged by an impressive resume' that soon out of University, or just Kate?

One other area that I find rather amusing is where Kate is compared to other commoners that have married into Royal households. Not one of them met their future husband's in University and had the type of intense world media frenzy that she has endured since it became public knowledge. Other women dating a Prince of a Royal House would certainly attract the attention of the media in that country, however it can't be compared to the interest of the World media that the British Royal Family generates.

From the moment he was born, Prince William's life has been played out in the media as second in line to the throne and the son of Princess Diana, who was the most famous woman on the planet. The media focus on William and Kate's relationship made it impossible for Kate to carry on as a private citizen going about her life and career like everyone else.

A little perspective goes a long way in this argument.

It's tough everywhere. According to a recent study only 1 in 3 in the U.S. that graduated from Law school are even practicing law. just an example but it shows that even with a university degree there's not a lot out there.

LadyCatharine said:
Your Grace was a term used for the Clergy in the renaissance period.

Also Dukes and Duchesses (and other nobility) were referred to as Your Grace during that time as well.....

Also Dukes and Duchesses (and other nobility) were referred to as Your Grace during that time as well.....

Current nobility dukes are also referred to as Your Grace.

You are a British fashion retailer right now, perhaps a high-street brand that has struggled in the downturn, you’ll have just one concerted wish: that you’ll open up the papers and discover that, today, the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing your blouse, your bag, or perhaps your blazer.

One outing with Kate, you see, and the world wakes up. The internet hits overdrive, the chatrooms go nuts, and the money rolls in. The effect is phenomenal. And instantaneous. When Kate wore a £310 black velvet coat by Libélula to the wedding of her and William’s friends Sarah Stourton and Harry Aubrey-Fletcher in January, it sold out in hours. The company’s website went mad and the coat had a waiting list of 300 before you could say ker-ching. The famous blue Issa engagement dress is more impressive still. As you might expect, the real thing flew out of Harvey Nichols on the day Kate wore it; but then the knock-off at Tesco (a snip at £16) sold out within an hour of going online.

Read more: Kate Middleton: The sellout effect of the high-street Duchess of Cambridge | Mail Online

Jlh

I really don't get all the hoopla over Kate and her career(or lack there-of). She is not the first woman to be a stay at home mom and she certainly won't be the last. LOTS of women attend college, achieve advanced degrees and then go on to be house wives/stay at home moms. It is no big deal really.

Personally, I think a lot of career women will someday regret not putting their families first. Not too many have the courage to forgo children in deference to their careers.

So, if a woman(I'm going to assume this doesn't apply to men) has a career, she is not putting her family first? Really? Would love to know how you arrived at this conclusion. From what I have read about Kate's mom, she is quite ambitious, even more than her husband. And, yet she still managed to raise THREE decent, respectable, educated, classy, law abiding citizens. Imagine that.

It's tough everywhere. According to a recent study only 1 in 3 in the U.S. that graduated from Law school are even practicing law. just an example but it shows that even with a university degree there's not a lot out there.

This makes me feel better, that Im not the only one, and worse; because I fear I have no future.

Thanx for posting those Carlota, very interesting articles. Too bad people will never stop comparing Kate to Diana no matter how different they are.

Last edited:
As usual, the DM trying to sensationalize... Now that the tour's over, once again trying to milk any story and sell any angle. If the media has learned anything from Diana, they should stop focusing on appearances and insinuating this and that.What's especially silly is their remark that Kate deserves to be more than a clothes horse when all they're reported on in the last 10 days is about her fashion.

The weight question is being debated in England now - when you see Catherine next to Nicole Kidman or Reese Witherspoon on the California trip ( and neither of those two ladies is what you would call "Big"), she looks very thin and they look very large. She went on a diet before the wedding, and I think she should gain a half stone or so back. But whatever, if William likes her at her weight, I am in no position to complain about it.

OOps, did not see the posts just above mine - they all say the same thing with the comparison to Kidman and Witherspoon - but again, if William is happy, and Kate is happy, it is no one's business.

:previous: I am hoping that her weight loss is only temporary. To say it isn't or hasn't happened is silly as every photo shows exactly how slim she has become. However, I do not believe she went on a diet so close to her wedding. I do however, believe the estimation that she has dropped two dress sizes since her engagement.

The comparison between her wearing the white dress for the Testino photos taken shortly after her engagement to those of her wearing the same dress on Canada Day are a shocker. Like most women, when she looses weight it goes from the bust first and the front of that white dress just hung there making the whole dress ill-fitting.

Dieting at that time would have created untold problems for whoever was making her dress and render half her wardrobe useless not to mention that there is absolutely no sensible reason whatsoever for dieting when you have a figure like hers.

Reports by the tabloids seem to be them trying to create an "Anorexia" crisis in the marriage where none exists. It will sell papers though!

The weight question is being debated in England now - when you see Catherine next to Nicole Kidman or Reese Witherspoon on the California trip ( and neither of those two ladies is what you would call "Big"), she looks very thin and they look very large. She went on a diet before the wedding, and I think she should gain a half stone or so back. But whatever, if William likes her at her weight, I am in no position to complain about it.

Lets not forget Kidman is 44 and Witherspoon is 35 and both have given birth. Even trainers to the starts can't always make that after baby belly go away...I do agree Kate is thin and could gain some weight, but these women are different body types too...Witherspoon is like 5'3 .Just my opinon.

Last edited:
Ridiculous!!! Ted Casablanca is a jerk and he has NO palace insiders, nor does E Online. These people are indeed trying to sell papers. Catherine is very slender but no way is she anorexic. The fact that anyone even suggests such a thing means they don't know what they are talking about. I just saw a woman in a bookstore yesterday who was very clearly anorexic and I have seen young women on the campus where I worked who were also. Believe me Kate would not have that gorgeous lush hair and glow about her if she suffered from that condition. Kidman and Witherspoon are both older and have had children. I think people are also so accustomed to seeing our over weight populations that anyone who is very slender sends them into a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom