The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Jennifer Selway on Kate Middleton, Anne Kirkbride and a Cliff Richard doll | Jennifer Selway | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

GERMAINE GREER has had a go at the Duchess of Cambridge.

Quote:
"The girl is too thin," she grumbled. Usually the great gobby Greer's pronouncements receive acres of coverage because she's good at winding people up. This sideswipe has fallen flat. Why? Because while it's considered rude and unkind to call someone fat it's considered OK to make remarks about the thin.

Poor Kate has long been subjected to thinnist remarks. Slender celebrities such as Keira Knightley or Victoria Beckham are forever being told to eat chips and fatten up or being accused of being anorexic. If you're thin you're often asked if you're "all right?" Pretty rude I think. Nobody would ever say: "You're obese. Are you all right?" Thin people have feelings too.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Front Page News: See the 10 Celebs with the Most PEOPLE Magazine Cover Appearances (INFOGRAPHIC) : People.com Mobile

Catherine has been on the cover of People Magazine 26 times. Prince William 29 times and Diana a total of 55 times

Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems she is still in Bucklebury...

Ashleigh ‏@x_AshleighLou

Served Kate Middleton's mum & Prince George today at work..
Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, some of us are fat and there are plenty of insults to go around. Some of us are thin and are revered by current society. Kate is one of the thin ones and that can't be denied.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure if revered is the word that I'd use. Thin people are also subject to insults and suggestions that they are ill or suffering from an eating disorder.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Courtier

The world's obsession with weight is causing many young girls severe self esteem problems. And it's not getting any better - apparently now in the US women who wear size 12 (14 in UK) are considered "plus size". That's outrageous.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Just my opinion - but I had always thought Greer's version of feminism is that we should all have the freedom to seek a role in which we find happiness and fulfillment - what she calls freedom. Frankly, carping at any one person to claim she (Kate) is somehow not seeking her own happiness and fulfillment is irrelevant to that freedom. Meaning, Greer should not make decisions for Kate any more than anyone else should.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post

Ashleigh ‏@x_AshleighLou

I'm glad she's with her family and isn't just surrounded by doctors and staff at KP. I'm sure it's an added comfort for her to be with her mom. With this kind of condition, anything that can help at all is a good thing.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post

Ashleigh ‏@x_AshleighLou

Being the literal type that I am - I take this to mean Carole and George were together but not that Catherine was there.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Could well be that Carole is looking after him and necessary that Catherine is there.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

AdmirerUS

You are absolutely right... Greer's sort of feminist cannot bear women [who enjoy the freedom she and others fought for] choosing to stay at home and raise kids in the traditional manner. The reality of women REALLY choosing what they feel is best for them is 'a bridge too far'.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

For Greer you had to "choose what Greer chose". I have never like the woman. Back in her day all was fine because woman truly were trying their wings and that suited her but when some women decided that they truly loved their "nest" then her opinions changed and "freedom" meant that these women who made those choices suddenly became "unfulfilled".
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no use for the 'femi-nazis' out there like this. If you don't choose what they agree with you are told you are setting women back and wasting your life etc.

LaRae
Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Ms. Greer is entitled to her opinion, don't you agree?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If what Greer was aiming for had actually reached its goal, there would be no more men and women... just people when it comes to careers, income, how to and who raises the kids etc. Everyone should have the right and the freedom to live their lives as they see fit.

I bet Carole is just basking in her grandmother role right now. What grandma doesn't love to take the wee one off to shop and spoil rotten, show off to friends and just really love being with the kid. Sounds like a win win situation to me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... Everyone should have the right and the freedom to live their lives as they see fit...
And if one is not living in a dictatorship where children are removed for state childrearing, that right is upheld. However, if Ms. Greer thinks Kate is thin, she has the right to say that she thinks Kate is thin, No?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think Ms. Greer is entitled to her opinion, don't you agree?
No one here has said she shouldn't be....no calls for silencing her or getting her fired. Just disagreement with her stance.

LaRae
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Of course she has the right to state her opinion. Just as we have the right to comment or disagree with said opinion.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I bet Carole is just basking in her grandmother role right now. What grandma doesn't love to take the wee one off to shop and spoil rotten, show off to friends and just really love being with the kid. Sounds like a win win situation to me.
I am sure she is, and granddad too!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
No one here has said she shouldn't be....no calls for silencing her or getting her fired. Just disagreement with her stance.

LaRae
OK, I'll buy that. But I have to agree with Greer that Kate is thin. I hope Kate doesn't get any thinner or she may have more problems with the pregnancy. (I'd like to believe that no one wants that for her.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family