The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

I don't understand the feminist Greer's complaints- why cant a women choose what they want to do ? Mike didn't sell Kate to the royal family in exchange for a dowry and title like in the olden days. Kate made the choice to get married and have kids. Just like another women can choose to have a career.

As for Kate being too thin- look at her sister and mum -they are thin too maybe she has a high metabolism.

Who does the writer think decorated Amner and KP 1A? Navy Suit All the Time William? Lupo? The Queens Corgis?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this article just shows a more mature relationship between the public and the BRF in general and Kate in particular.
The monarchy will welcome this poll result as the numbers reflect very favourably on Kate as an individual.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

She cannot have a feminist narrative, as anything vaguely political said by the family is viewed as outside their role. Can you imagine her being allowed to say something as "bold" as "Women have a role to serve in the economy of our country." (said with heavy irony folks)

Is anyone actually surprised at this article? She can't win. It's the position the Prince of Wales has been in for decades. Must wait placidly until fate intervenes. Wait, wait, wait. Live your life but never comment.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge: How Britain Stopped Believing in the Royal Fairytale-
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/10/03/d...le-273100.html

I think this may get a conversation going.

I stopped reading after the author apparently missed the fact in the introductory question - the foundation of the rest of the survey- 32% of people said they don't want to be Catherine but they would like to be friends with her. That is nearly equal to the people who said "none of the above," not a surprising answer in a poll whose rep sample was 50% male.

If you take this answer into consideration, that answers the question of why people don't want to be Kate but still think she's intelligent, capable and a good role model. They may not want the life of duty, pretension, and press harassment but they don't mind the people in that life already.

Seriously, this woman is a moron.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Courtier

Britain stopped believing in the Royal Fairytale a very long time ago.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

She's her own woman, and I sense, she'll have more to say about the issues she really care about.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Nobility

I found Greer harsh and judgmental. I also don't see what all the emphasis is on her college diploma. She is very bright but as far as I can tell she hasn't really done anything with her I level of education. And I'm speaking before she got married. But to me that's okay that's her choice her focus was to be married and she is . now she's raising her family. I don't get why feminism means that we all have to make the same choices. Why do woman keep putting down each other 's life choice.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^Outstanding post sthreats!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Nobility

I guess there is a, very vocal, group within feminism that’s just as bad as really conservatives. In stead of saying „you have to stay at home, care for the children and your husband” they say „you have to get a job, you have to be financially independent, etc”. Either group don’t really care about what women themselves want. It’s all about them.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I am very conservative (probably ultra conservative by European standards)...however I don't think you have to stay home. Yes I think it's best for the family (children) if the mom can stay home....however I am fully aware it's not always possible and parents do the best they can.

So let's not stereotype either side of the spectrum.

LaRae
Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Nobility

When I said „really conservative” I meant people like Phyllis Schlafly and the Duggar family. Conservative in their views of women not in a religious or political aspect. There are plenty of people out there who are not religious or political but still conservative when it comes to women’s issues.

And unfortunately as with every group out there even feminists have their „extremists” and to me they give feminism a bad name.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure Jill Duggar would fit into your position of the parameters you previously mentioned. She did work outside the home prior to having children...and she and her husband made the decision for her to stay home after they decided to have a large family.

I am fairly conservative in my views of traditional gender roles. I know a number of people who are...however none of them would insist another person do what they do or take up a rant against women who work.

LaRae
Old 09-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Gentry

I'm not sure how I feel about that article, but I do agree that the fairytale has sort of waned for a lot of people. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that when it comes to me, everything that happened with Diana really changed the way I viewed the life of a Royal. She highlighted all of the negatives that came with marrying into that institution. I do think Kate is better equipped to handle the pressures than Diana was, but as they say, you can't unring a bell. Once you pull that veil back, you can never fully replace it again. That being said, I don't think the view of the monarchy shifting from fantastic to realistic is a bad thing. A better understanding of the realities of their life has led to a better working relationship with both press and public IMO.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am not sure Jill Duggar would fit into your position of the parameters you previously mentioned. She did work outside the home prior to having children...and she and her husband made the decision for her to stay home after they decided to have a large family.

I am fairly conservative in my views of traditional gender roles. I know a number of people who are...however none of them would insist another person do what they do or take up a rant against women who work.

LaRae
Actually Jill is the 20 something daughter who lived with mom and dad until she recently married and is already pregnant - did you mean the mom - Michele?
Interesting that the whole homeschooling trend which seems to be growing in the US was in essence what Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret experienced (well, they had professionals coming in to educate them rather than just mom) and has been abandoned for a school experience among peers for their children and grandchildren. Unlike people like the Duggars where the elder children are essentially raising the younger, Catherine has a professionally trained nanny and I expect when the time comes Prince George and sibling(s) will be attending school - if pre school I wonder if it will be near Amner or in London near Kendington Palace.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate set to return to Royal duties as she recovers from her acute morning sickness: Royal aides say Duchess of Cambridge is planning to resume engagements-
Kate set to return to Royal duties as she recovers from her acute morning sickness | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Actually Jill is the 20 something daughter who lived with mom and dad until she recently married and is already pregnant - did you mean the mom - Michele?
Interesting that the whole homeschooling trend which seems to be growing in the US was in essence what Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret experienced (well, they had professionals coming in to educate them rather than just mom) and has been abandoned for a school experience among peers for their children and grandchildren. Unlike people like the Duggars where the elder children are essentially raising the younger, Catherine has a professionally trained nanny and I expect when the time comes Prince George and sibling(s) will be attending school - if pre school I wonder if it will be near Amner or in London near Kendington Palace.

Oh yes I meant Michelle!

Homeschooling has always been done in the US in varying forms. In light of the failure and/or problems of some schools/programs I can totally understand why some parents choose to educate their own children. Some of the highest scores on the SAT's (et al) have come from homeschooled children. Having known a number of homeschooled kids I don't think there needs to be professionals coming in (afterall the goverment schools are supposedly run by professionals and look at the test scores there) to teach...most parents are perfectly capable of teaching their own kids.

Even in smaller families it's not uncommon to see the older kids helping out with the younger ones. That's just what families are supposed to do. There were only 2 of us (my sister and I) and I helped out with her.

LaRae
Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

Women tend to be more critical of other women. Don't know why, but there have been articles on the subject.

As for Kate, she was known as William's college girlfriend, so after college, the media coverage was tremendous and I recall she had to quit one job because of it. I am sure many of her co-workers were bothered by the media looking for stories. Then all the cameras outside her work place. I always thought she went to work for her parents because it offered freedom to holiday with William and protection from the media.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Back to work!
Katie Nicholl retweeted Jordon Lee ‏@JordonLee 3h
Duchess of Cambridge will return to royal duties in coming weeks. Palace: "There will be engagements in Oct & Nov."
Old 09-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Good to hear that she's starting to feel better and feel well enough to take on some royal duties.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Serene Highness

I wouldn't think Ms. Greer knows much about family relationships. She was permanently estranged from her parents from the time she was a teenager, and her only marriage lasted 3 1/2 weeks.

Abraham Lincoln

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family