The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yes all mothers are entitled to go on maternity leave for an entire year, most of course don't if they have jobs. If Catherine can leave George with her parents to go on holiday for a week, I don't see why she can't leave him for a few hours to do engagements twice a week. Same goes for William. George turns one in just under two months time, I know they're not "full time" royals, but they're not even acting like part time royals.

that is quite a good opinion, i admit, i second what you said. besides, they have a lot of the best help the world can offer to get on with engagements, despite having a baby, so i see no reason why they couldn't come back to it. most working mums come back to work in less than a year and this is without the kind of help W+K have.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm talking about her taking on a little more and even some honorary military roles. She's the only senior member of the royal family that's up for those kind of roles. I would suggest for her to help out the aging Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and become a Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.
In my eyes, although Kate is a senior royal as far as the royal totem pole goes, she is not (and nor is William) a senior royal working for the Firm yet. In a way, to me, what W/K are doing now is kind of like what Eugenie is doing in New York. An internship. Doing a bit of this, a tad of that and learning how to step into their roles as full time working royals. Last summer we didn't see too much of them during the "season" as it was drawing close to George's birth. This year may very well pleasantly surprise us. At least I hope so.

I think to name Kate to becoming a Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment right now would kind of be a slap in the face to Camilla as she does hold the title Princess of Wales currently. Maybe it will happen for Kate but I seriously doubt it until she actually becomes the Princess of Wales herself.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

Quote:
Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.

Shouldn't the Princess of Wales take on Pricess of Wales charities, honorary titles and regiments? I suspect there has been a Colonel in Chief since 1996 because there hang been a Princess of Wales after that. Diana was divorced in 1996 and killed soon after in. Kate is not the Princess of Wales she is the Duchess of Cambridge. If anyone should take on anything related to POW it is Camilla but she will not do it because though she is Princess of Wales she has distanced herself from that title.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment was named in Diana's honor in (92) I think. I think it would be great if Catherine took on the role. The role isn't just for a Princess of Wales, if that was the case, Her Magesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark wouldn't be it's Colonel-in-Chief. Camilla already have a great deal of regiments under her belt and most likely wont take on the role. I think it should be Catherine to take it on along with other honorary military roles.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, but it could be argued that it would be a bit tacky for a British Princess to take on the role while there is a Princess of Wales (even if she doesn't use the title).

At the same time, it could be argued that it would be a bit tacky for Camilla to take on the role while given as the regiment was named for her husband's first wife, even if she does hold the same title.

As the regiment has been without a British Royal Colonel-in-Chief for almost 20 years, and only actually had one for 4 years, I somehow don't think there's any need to rush into making Catherine a Colonel-in-Chief.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think it's a rush to give Catherine some honorary military appointments. I think the idea is to give Catherine some responsibility of royal significants. Once that happens that will able her to do more official engagements. Everyone, royal reporters and correspondents are recognizing that William and Catherine aren't doing enough. Now William has stepped up and taken on some honorary military roles and even carry out Investitures on The Queen's behalf. I think it's not only right but to expect Catherine to be handed over some responsibility as well. If you want them to do more, giving them some responsibility is what it's going to take.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dman, you've missed my point.

I'm not saying that there is no rush to give Catherine any honourary military appointments, just that there's no rush to make her Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales' Regiment.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Well, I think Kate should call a press conference and announce that she's going to take over some of the duties of the poor old Queen because she's obviously slowing down, and also that she will relieve the 'aging' Queen of Denmark of some of her duties. Kate's tanned, rested, and ready, and she should control her own destiny in this royalty business.

I'm joking, but I mean it. She can't just rush out and do things on her own, she has to follow protocol. Besides, the more she and William are out and about, the less attention and interest Charles and Camilla will receive. Camilla needs to be built up and boosted in public so that her 'promotion' to Queen will be well-received when the time comes. And anyone who doesn't think that is a factor in some of the issues we're discussing...

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I hear you guys, I'm just saying its going to take handing down some responsibility in order to get the Cambridge's to do more. The only reason you see the other royals doing so much outside of charitable engagements, is due to them taking on presidencies, colonelships and other ceremonial duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Majesty

What I was really hoping for (and still am) is for William to take up a position in the Foreign Office and through that, The Cambridges might start to attend a few State Banquets. Although it looks easy enough to sit down, eat dinner and hear a few speeches, I know there's quite a bit of protocol and correct etiquette that goes along with it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think since they've attended the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps last year and likely to attend again this year, they may start attending the State Banquets as well. We still have to wait to see what kind of job William will take on too.

There's another State Visit occurring in October, the Singapore State Visit.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Im sorry to repeat myself but HMQ is NOT giving up anything. I am tired of people criticising W&K when it is as clear as day that neither the Queen or DoE is giving up anything. 155 events last week without Anne, William or Kate (earlier post) so stop blaming these 2 for thw work HMQ is doing.

Hope he takes up EAAA and she has another child and they keep a low profile and allow HMQ and DoE to enjoy their last years without being nagged about retiring.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Prince Philip can hand down some responsibility to the young royals and they will still have plenty to do. Giving some royal duties over William & Catherine won't put a dent in The Queen's official diary.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that William and Katherine's current workload has nothing to do with HM or the DoE's workload. In my opinion, the pair of them will continue doing as much as they possibly can until they cannot anymore (even possibly a bit after that), because that's just who they are. That's the work ethic that the pair of them encompass.

I think we're likely to see similar with Charles and Anne, as that's the work ethic that they have as well. Camilla will likely continue to do a lot, although I think that's more due to her position and who Charles is than her own desires. Andrew, Edward, and Sophie, however, are all likely to retire more at some point - both because they can, and because they're less motivated by the work.

I don't doubt that William and Catherine have permission from HM, the DoE, and Charles to maintain the level of work that they've done so far. I kind of doubt that they're being forced to do so little though. The Queen, DoE, and PoW are all such hard workers that to me it seems out of character for them to actively encourage the Cambridges to cultivate an image (note, just an image, I'm not saying that this is who they actually are) of laziness. It's contrary to their own work ethics and detrimental to the image of the monarchy.

If the Queen were to put her foot down and force them to do more, I have no doubt that they would do more, but I don't believe for an instant that this is what she's chosen for them.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

Well I find it a slap in the face when they give the impression of being 'new age' royals but can't work more. Say what you want, there are people out there busting their butt to earn some money and do an honest days work and the future of the BRF does.......? The excuse of one day they will take over and do heaps more is ridiculous, because most of us here will one day retire after working hard for about 30-40 years! What's that I hear? Oh they are not like you and me they are special, they are royal.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Majesty

Y'know, a thought occurred to me that should William and Kate (with the Queen's stamp of approval) decided today that they will from here on in be full time working royals and start to fill up their calendars with engagements and duties, it would be a while before we actually see them doing it.

Plans are made months in advance for these kind of things and there's legwork to do to get ready and communication with various agencies (protection, place they're going etc) to get everything planned down to exactly as its going to go. From what I've seen, the announcement to the public is not made until its quite closer to the date of the event.

Until they tell us what their plans are, all we can do is speculate.
― John Lennon
Old 05-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember watching the coverage of the Cambridges in Canada and a British journalist remarked that this was great for the future of the monarchy but in the short term it would create some logistical issues for the Firm.

In most monarchies you have a king or queen and their heir as the main players. The BRF is all over the place.

Exactly how many cooks do we want before we spoil the broth? We have the Queen and the DoE, we have the Prince of Wales and Duchess and we also have the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and if the Queen were a younger woman the headlines would soon read "when is Prince George taking up full-time royal duty"?

God bless the Queen for her long reign but it makes for some uncomfortable reading in the tabloids over the role everyone is supposed to have.

There was a headline in the DM during the Aussie tour proclaiming the Cambridges the "New Royal Family"... just what Charles and HM wanted to read I'm sure.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The Queen and Prince Philip can hand down some responsibility to the young royals and they will still have plenty to do. Giving some royal duties over William & Catherine won't put a dent in The Queen's official diary.

The attitude you're taking here suggests that the BRF is acting at capacity and that until the older generation cuts back on things they do a bit then there is no role for the younger generation.

This is ridiculous. It assumes that there isn't a large number of organizations asking for royal patronage/visits/what have you that aren't being filled. It acts as though when Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward, and countless royals before them were taking away a job from someone else.

If William, Catherine, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie wanted to, they could take on roles of elder royals that the elder royals no longer want to (or can) perform. But that in and of itself isn't preventing them from doing more royal duties. They are entirely capable of carving out their own roles. Sure, William will one day be expected to fulfill some of his father and grandmother's duties, and Catherine will be expected to fulfill some of Camilla and the DoE's duties, but that shouldn't prevent them from carving out their own roles now, just like the DoE, Charles, and Diana each did.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^The grandchildren would likely have to stage a coup to get that wish to come true. Can't see the DoE going into the golden sunset years without a fight.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
^^^The grandchildren would likely have to stage a coup to get that wish to come true. Can't see the DoE going into the golden sunset years without a fight.

Exactly. Yet there seems to be this attitude that since the DoE isn't going into the golden sunset years willingly it's his (and the Queen's) fault that the Cambridges aren't doing more.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family