The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With William's next step still up in the air (perhaps literally as there are rumors that he'll work with East Anglia Ambulance) and another option presented as working for the Foreign Office, Kate very well may be working behind the scenes quite a bit. We've had a glimmer that EACH is encouraging birthday parties for George's 1st with donations being made and she's supposedly in the process of working on Anmer Hall so that's being anything but lazy I think.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that they will, for the most part, reside at Anmer Hall and using KP as their London base as William works for the ambulance service (perhaps on a volunteer basis?) along with taking on a position with the Foreign Office (is there an location at all in Norfolk?).

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If William is going to fly with the Air Ambulance Service it will be as a volunteer, there will be an outcry if he gets paid for something that others do for free.

If the Foreign Office allow him to do a "work from home" arrangement in Norfolk, that's the only way I see him working for the Foreign Office away from London unless he works for them internationally, which I doubt.

There's only so much "behind the scenes" royals can do, especially on Catherine's level. She's not involved in the day to day running of anything except probably a redecoration somewhere and George. Even then she has a nanny. Unless she's helping either The Queen or Charles out with either one of their duchies, behind the scenes. What else is she doing?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The royals do a great deal behind the scenes but I totally agree, these two should be doing more (publically) instead of just behind the scenes. I understand William & Catherine's need to be with George and slobber down those apple cheeks but they also have another job and I just wish they did more of it.

They have a busy schedule coming up and hopefully this year we will know which way William's "transitional year" will go. I think not know which way it's going to go is causing a great deal of confusion and igniting a debate.

If William's "transition" leads him to another career, where does that leave Catherine? Frankly, I can't see her becoming a full-time royal without William. The idea is for them to make that "transition" together.

If they decide to "transition" over to full-time royals, I think a great deal of people (including me) will approve because I just think it's time. It's not my life though.

They have proven that they are fully capable to take on full-time royal duties. Contrary to believe, Catherine isn't actually lazy as some has dubbed her. You can really tell that she like doing her official duties and very often ask The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh if she can accompany them to an official engagement. She seem to like working with them too. Catherine isn't the only one that has gained a great deal of confidence on the royal stage. Since becoming becoming a husband and father, William seems to be ready to take on his destiny.

They're ready (IMO) to take on full-time royal duties and still be present parents.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I too think that William and Catherine should start to take part in more royal engagements. Like a lot of people, I thought that they would start to become more active after the tour, although I was incorrect. Perhaps they should start going on more royal tours, that way we'd see more of them.

I don't think George is no longer an excuse, since they have their nanny, Maria. And there's always the Middletons. Yes, Catherine is still on maternity leave, although like Duke of Marmalade, I feel that she is not an 'ordinary' mother, she is the future Queen of the United Kingdom and various countries within the Commonwealth Realms, so she should start to take part in more royal engagements.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Courtier

I think it's been clear for a long they will be a lot more active in June July August.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since 2011 I was on Kate's side when it came to her work. I am desperately trying to stay on her side but I admit it is starting to look bad IMO. Then again I live in America and as a result I don't think a new mother needs to be off work for a year to be with her baby; 5-6mos tops is sufficient IMO.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Courtier

As soon as we start complaining a bunch of engagements get announced.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

The issue I have is with the lack of fairness of it all. William is basically a middle manager in the family but the press acts as if his coronation is next week.

Camilla is the next Queen or princess consort and the press basically ignores her.

William and Kate have been far and away the most active "junior" royals since their wedding day. A look at the CC confirms they have been far from idle for royals in the 3rd generation.

If people want them to act and behave as a crown princely couple then make William heir now otherwise I think they more than pull their weight with the Royal Foundation that raises millions of dollars each year for good causes.

The Daily Mail would need to publish a weekly supplement just to keep up with all things Cambridge if the couple were out and about every day.

I think it would just be so simple for the Queen to issue a statement and make it clear what the roles of her children and grandchildren will be during her reign.

I'm not a fan of Robert Jobson but he used a term to describe William that I liked. He called him the "understudy's understudy" and to me that puts things into perspective.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think people do accept that Charles and Camilla are next up for the throne but think the younger royals should be doing more and I agree with them. The people who should carrying out a great of royal duties is Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine and Harry. I think there's enough room for the five of them to support The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Aristocracy

Last week the BRF did 155 engagements. And that was achieved with out Princess Anne (holiday I assume) William or Catherine. So the lack of the Cambridges is not having an impact on the work of the BRF - the numbers prove that.

Philip gave up his life in his beloved navy to serve the Queen; The Queen told Charles to give up the navy to support her and then didn't really give him anything to do - he created the Princes Trust and had to develop his own road for 40 years.

Why on earth should yet another member of the royal family do the same when it is obvious to all of us that the Queen is not giving up any part of her role except long haul travel.

there is time enough for William - and if this latest story about joining the Air Ambulance is true, then I would be shocked if people criticise him for taking on a public service role for a charitable cause.

If William wants Catherine with him, then that's where she will be. If this story is true, perhaps she will do voluntary work, for example with EACH.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

The media have been reporting on tons of job options for William to take on but nothing's been confirmed as of yet. Everyone is waiting to see what this "transitional" year will bring for the Cambridge's. I think the main idea is to "transition" over to royal duties and more charitable roles. I'm thinking Catherine would be taking on more charitable roles too. We haven't heard of any new patronages yet. I think giving her a couple of honorary military roles would be great too.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just looking at things from a slightly different perspective, is there actually sufficient roles/engagements for them were they to become full time royals? I wonder how willing the Queen & Duke are to relinquish their longstanding commitments to various patronages and annual engagements. The Queen's children are all very active and dedicated to their various organisations. Other older members of the family such as the Gloucesters, have longstanding patronages too - you can't just shunt these aside. Perhaps there isn't enough to warrant the Cambridges taking on full time duties yet.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

You know how elected officials are criticised for being professional politicians? No real life experience or what its like to hold down a job, well the longer William can avoid becoming a professional ribbon cutter the better imo.

Everything he has done in his life is going to serve to him well in a new age monarchy of which he will be king.

But frankly I can't fathom how flying an air ambulance and saving lives is somehow seen as avoiding cutting ribbons and planting trees.

Let the man keep doing what he does best, raise money for charity, tour the commonwealth undertake royal duties when required and serve his future subjects in a real and tangible way.

There are more than enough royals to go around for now. His time is close but until the reign of his father I think he should stay the course.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
As soon as we start complaining a bunch of engagements get announced.
I knew I was complaining for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Daily Mail would need to publish a weekly supplement just to keep up with all things Cambridge if the couple were out and about every day.
I doubt that. Plus we're not calling for engagements everyday, most people are calling for an engagement a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Let the man keep doing what he does best, raise money for charity, tour the commonwealth undertake royal duties when required and serve his future subjects in a real and tangible way.

There are more than enough royals to go around for now. His time is close but until the reign of his father I think he should stay the course.
Doing what he does best? I think that alters depending upon who you ask. Personally both Catherine and William are very good at avoiding everything to do with the life they're supposed to lead. Yes William is not the heir, but frankly Charles isn't going to have a 60 year reign like his mother is he? People want to see these two and nobody is telling them why we aren't seeing them. Whilst serving for the air ambulance is incredibly admirable and a great thing for William to do. If he wanted to fly helicopters and help people he could have stayed in the RAF until it was privatised and then taken up full time work.

There are "enough" royals to do engagments, now yes. But the masses don't want to see Edward, Sophie, Anne, The Duke of Kent and Gloucester.

William and Catherine have a real change to work with Charles and Camilla to make the monarchy almost anew and they're not bothering. It's a real shame.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Courtier

The palace has said that the Summer months will be a busy time for them.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm thinking Catherine would be taking on more charitable roles too. We haven't heard of any new patronages yet.
To be honest, she doesnt look properly after the patronages she was given (or maybe she does 'behind the scenes' ), why should she be given even more.
As I said before, nobody keeps her from doing more in that respect, it doesnt always have go be the glam events like movie openings, galas or royal tours. Yet, with patronages = 'basic royal work', there is no visible engagement, and this doesnt have anything to do with having a toddler.

It would have been more honest from the royal house to give no patronages at all and to say, Kate will learn along William and other than that stay at home as wife and mother.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps this is the way the Queen wants it, after all doesn't everything that her family does go through her? I always said that the buck stops with the person in charge, remember how Diana was treated, well maybe they(the firm) has learnt some lessons and are doing the exact opposite with Catherine. It's not like she can go and say, let me do more, let me be seen by the public, she just can't pick up and walk out the door and to somewhere to do an engagement, everything has to be arranged prior to the engagement. It takes time to make all the arrangements, after all this is the human race and we all work differently when doing things, sometimes we just take longer to do things, get things prepared then other people would do. I am sure that given time and maybe some of these comments about her being lazy, not working, well, it could be that we all want to see her, William and the baby. Maybe some more then others need the W/CG fix more. She is still a young wife, a new mother and yes even if George is only a year old soon, he is till a *BABY* for heavens sake. I think Catherine is a very hands on mother and doesn't rely on a nannie to do everything for in regards to George. This is her first child, when others come, I bet she will be tired and say *here Marie you take this one*. Right now they are doing what the Queen wants and nobody gets in her way, something tells me that the Queen is the final say in this family and she is *The Firm*.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

William should not have to be king before he is king and he should not have to be the heir before he is the heir.

If Charles and Camilla still need help maybe its time for a rethink but if C&C need W&K to make the transition then that's a problem for Charles, not William.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

I don't understand how anyone can call her lazy, she is a wife, a mother and that is being lazy? So she doesn't publish an hour to hour daily list of what she does......so call her lazy? so she might not do dishes, to make the bed or run the sweeper, she is lazy? So mothers that stay home with their child/children are lazy now? Are we going back to the dark ages here?
I don't know what she does with her daily life and I could care less, yet when she is out and about doing things, it's nice to see her. I don't need her 24/7 like some people seem to do. And she does not get money from the taxpayers for doing nothing........please get a grips about her being *lazy* just because some don't see her out once/twice/three times a week or even every day. She married William and I bet they are together in this and that all things that they do go through the Queen, he has a great respect for his grandmother and I bet he talks to her more then people realize. Just give them time as all of us are given time to learn out way in life..
Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
To be honest, she doesnt look properly after the patronages she was given...
Catherine do a lot for her charities and are corresponding and meeting with them on a regular bases. All the royals do this on a regular bases.

I'm talking about her taking on a little more and even some honorary military roles. She's the only senior member of the royal family that's up for those kind of roles. I would suggest for her to help out the aging Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and become a Colonel-in-Chief of The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. No British royal has taken on the role since 1996.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family