The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If this was true that Mr. Lauren was angered by the money he spent on this charity gala and ended up with a no show by the Duchess of Cambridge, it just shows me that you can't buy the royal family. It really does put Mr. Lauren in a pretty bad light if you ask me. It sounds like he was paying to have a "clothes horse" there to promote his clothing design line or something.

William and Kate sponsor their charities for the good of the charities and to bring their missions into a more public view so that people are more aware of and perhaps donate and support the charities themselves. William and not Kate is the patron/supporter of this charity and there really was no reason at all for Kate to attend.

I also find the supposition that William fears his wife will overshadow him quite laughable.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

That Mail article is nonsense. Ralph Lauren donated an entire breast cancer center to the hospital. The dinner was planned months in advanced with knowledge of who would be attending. It's not like Ralph Lauren needs any publicity.

As for William being jealous, that's laughable. George would never been seen again since he steals both of their thunder :)

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yea, that article was rubbish. It wasn't a fashion event, it was to celebrate the new wing at the hospital and I'm sure arrangements were made months ago.

And I get the impression William quite likes having the attention off of himself. He's never sought it or enjoyed it and he seems quite proud of how much people like Kate.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:56 AM
Gentry

I never thought the daily mail would find someone who was a worse liar than Otto (Katie Nichol) but look at them proving me wrong!!'

This is a huge insult to Ralph Lauren. He sponsored an entire cancer wing for the hospital and the dinner was to thank him and other people who have supported the hospital.
Ralph Lauren is a huge supporter of cancer charities worldwide, he had a brain tumor removed years back himself.

If he really wanted the duchess, all he had to do was support a charity that she is patron of!!

This is not the first dinner that William has hosted that Catherine has not attended, the winter wonderland one late last year is another example.
If you look at the couple's history, they rarely attend each other's charity events. They usually go solo for those.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 AM
Serene Highness

William in fears his wife will overshadow him..........that is the dumbest statement ever. PW is a very secure man in his own right as to who he is. He loves his wife deeply and it shows in their actions when they are together....you can't fake true love. He is sure of himself and loves it when his wife gets attention while they are out and about doing their job to support their charities and other in England and around the world. And PG, well as someone said earlier, he will steal all the shows when he is brought out, he wants all the spotlight for himself and he gets it at this age..........he is a real cutie!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Courtier

I know hacking is supposed to be a thing of the past but I do wonder how much of this is still going on?

Royals hacked: Journalist accesses Prince William, Prince Harry and Kate Middleton's voicemails - San Jose Mercury News
Old 05-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

A number of posts canvassing the royal and maternal qualities of Catherine vis-à-vis Diana and the marital and paternal virtues of William vis-à-vis his father have been edited or removed for obvious reasons.

Just as posting a link to the latest shock horror! exposé that's been concocted in the back room of a trash mag serves no practical purpose, linking to websites which fall into the category of 'rabid' is equally pointless.

A glance at the headings and content of the so-called "news stories" carried on the particular website which led to the current digression should make it pretty obvious they have been created by the bitter and twisted and cater to a like-minded audience.

Here's a sample...

Kate Middleton Insults Princess Diana and Queen Elizabeth [note the order]
Kate Middleton continues Australia Tour as "Modern Princess Diana"
Kate Middelton Baby MIDDLE Name Revealed – Honors Princess Diana but Camilla Parker-Bowles Furious/Enraged/Livid
Queen Elizabeth orders Camilla to stay a mile away from Kate and the Baby [for their safety, naturally]
Camilla furious over new Diana film
Kate Middleton's Baby already causing Royal Family Conflict says Princess Diana's Butler
Kate Middleton and Prince William Fight with Queen Elizabeth about Diana as Royal Baby Name [for Prince George?]
Prince William and Kate Middleton Think of Princess Diana and Fight Royal Tradition
Kate Middleton Birth Induced like Princess Diana's With Prince William?
Prince William Shares Baby Prince George and Kate Middleton with Princess Diana
Growing Pressure to Replace Charles as next King with William
Camilla Parker-Bowles Makes Kate Middleton Cry: Promises that William will leave her as Charles left Diana
Did Princess Diana's Mental Illness Cause Prince William to Marry Kate Middleton?
Are Prince William and Kate Middleton Using Princess Diana to gain Sympathy in Scandal?
Prince William and Kate Middleton Rebel Against Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles - Move to Capture the Throne?
Kate Middleton Fears for Baby's Safety [surely not death threats from Camilla!]

So while these stories in themselves may be amusing, or delusional, or even verge on the creepy, please don't make them topics of discussion by posting their links. Some members and readers may take them at face value and assume they are reports from the London papers without realising they are actually sourced from the dark and nasty rat holes of the internet

thanks

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Courtier

I really hope they sue the Daily Mail.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
In this kind of situation, it would be as adding fuel to a fire. A reaction would bring the Daily Mail to cackle madly with glee, cause them to dance in the street drinking cheap wine and accosting innocents everywhere because they hit on a nerve they would feel that proved them right to print the crapoliosus extremus to an even more dastardly level.

Better to just leave it to line bird cages.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I think it adds fuel to the fire either way.

I confess I would love to have media accountable for outright lies. How can this still be allowed to happen? I understand that freedom of speech allows for opinions but outright fabrications??

Why don't they sue?! It allows for anyone to believe they (the author) must be onto something.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM

I do not usually comment on the paper, but I think they have a screw loose and take drugs to dream up this stuff about the royal family. The royal family hopefully gets a laugh out of this. I am sure it also makes them angry and the lengths this paper goes to in "dreaming up" these stories. Sorry paper. Sad people. Maybe they could be constructive for a change. That would be refreshing.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally I stopped buying any sort of 'news' sort of magazine when Diana was killed. I refuse to contribute monetarily to the people who send out the media to hound the rich and/or famous. I don't buy any sort of magazines anymore either.

LaRae
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

A brilliant article and Camilla makes some very good points about Catherine. Catherine has come a long way from being William's longtime girlfriend to now his wife, an HRH and mother. I think she's doing a great job so far, although should could be doing more though. I think Catherine & William's very slow (almost molasses like) progress to official duties is very frustrating for the press and even fellow royal watchers and I think it's what leads to a great deal of debates on the royal forums.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is also doing a great job in her royal role but she didn't get to where she is overnight. It took several years for Mary to build her official role to where it is today. The same goes to many of the other high profile princesses. The same can be said of Catherine's late mother-in-law, Diana. It took years for Diana to find her feet as the Princess of Wales and future Queen. She was great in her royal and probably would've done even more incredible things had she lived.

I think everyone just have to give Catherine time to really find her feet and her own voice within the royal family. She's just three years in, a mother for the first time and not second lady of the land yet. It truly takes time to get where Princess Anne, Crown Princess Mary and others are in their royal careers. None of it happens overnight and we all have to keep that in mind when it comes to HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

Just be yourself: Why we need to see more of the REAL Kate Middleton-
Just be yourself: Why we need to see more of the REAL Kate Middleton | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-18-2014, 01:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I enjoyed that article and agree with some of the points. The little flashes of Kate's real personality that we got on the Australian tour were delightful, and I'd love to see more of her real self shining through.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just to add one more point...Diana didn't have to cope w/the Internet/Social Media either. True, all eyes were on her Press/Paps wise, but nothing like it is today w/everyone w/a smartphone ready to "share everything w/the World" even when it's clear it's something private. It was bad then, but now!?!

While I'd love to see more of Kate out and about doing more public stuff, I also keep in mind that if HM wasn't happy w/how Kate is doing in her role as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, we would know about it. I truly do believe that after or even just before The Crumb Snatcher's First Birthday, we will be hearing that HRH has been making plans behind the scenes for the next step in her evolution as the Duchess of Cambridge and those plans will be exciting for all to hear.

I also have a feeling, hunch, much of it will be to do w/The Children's Hospice Movement. It is something she feels very strongly about, the fact all of her speeches so far have been given as part of a visit to a Children's Hospice proves that, and I'm really looking forward to finding out just what Kate has planned for the coming year.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Gentry

Was not a fan of the article
- I don't have a problem with Catherine acting "proper" in public. Members of the royal family are expected to act a certain way, especially people that have married into the family. You cant a foot wrong without the papers criticizing you.

- the "clothes horse comment". The papers, not Catherine, are the ones that choose to focus on her clothes. The other day Rebecca from the DM was complaining about Catherine not attending the Windsor gala. Someone on twitter commented and said it's better she did not attend because it would all be about the dress and not William's charity. Rebecca's response was something along the lines of " yes, the focus would be on her dress because that's what people like to read". The papers ignore anything that is worth reporting and always focus on the trivial things. No better example than the hospice visit in Australia (where she gave a speech) that was all but ignored by the media in favour of the "baywatch" story.
- the private pics while playing with George were cute but they were an invasion of their privacy. Even if it "would have been good PR" as the article state, the couple can not complain about privacy if they pick and choose which pic to allow the media to publish because they are good "PR". They need to be firm about such things, even if the pics are cute and heartwarming.

What the media really want is another Diana, someone that will be controversial and give them lots of headlines. Catherine is just not that kind of person, they should accept it.

I think the Cambrigdes should increase their duties, especially with the Queen & Phillip getting older. It's time they became full-time working members of the RF
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad that Will and Kate can keep some of their life private. We don't need Big Brother Kensington Palace. I think we see a lot of the real Kate. From interacting with the people on walkabout, visiting the hospices and interacting with Will and George. That was all the real Kate.

These comparisons with other royals are pointless. They are not in the same situation.

Everything thing that I have read about the Queen was one of her happiest times was when she was just a naval wife with Philip in Malta. What also must be one of her greatest regrets is not being able to spend time with young Charles and Anne because she became Queen at age 25. The Queen is letting her grandson and his wife enjoy this family time in their lives and build a strong family that will only benefit themselves and the crown in the future when the Queen is gone and W&K are full time royals for life.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I'm glad that Will and Kate can keep some of their life private.
Quote:
We don't need Big Brother Kensington Palace. I think we see a lot of the real Kate. From interacting with the people on walkabout, visiting the hospices and interacting with Will and George. That was all the real Kate.
Quote:

These comparisons with other royals are pointless. They are not in the same situation.

Everything thing that I have read about the Queen was one of her happiest times was when she was just a naval wife with Philip in Malta. What also must be one of her greatest regrets is not being able to spend time with young Charles and Anne because she became Queen at age 25. The Queen is letting her grandson and his wife enjoy this family time in their lives and build a strong family that will only benefit themselves and the crown in the future when the Queen is gone and W&K are full time royals for life.
I feel like this is what its about for them(william and kate)...they share enough of themselves in public why should they have to share their private moments with each other in public as well as sharing private moments with their son in public...its easy to understand why they don't...

I remember Tom Bradby saying as long as they can do their public work and be able to go back and have a private life they would be happy..

Its the same with the Max Foster interview...they will always give little tidbits of things that happen...they will never give away too much..that ruins the special-ness and intimacy of these private events.

This more about the media be hungry for kate...you don't think william still fears about his wife being chased like his mother was...its a tricky balance of how much to put her out there.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
...What the media really want is another Diana, someone that will be controversial and give them lots of headlines. Catherine is just not that kind of person, they should accept it.
Bingo, I think you have hit the nail right on its head! And I think the RF are doing their best to control her public appearances. If anything, the Australian tour proved she has the media pull, not William. This latest appearance of his confirms that. What a worry that must be for the RF. Imagine if they don't stay together in the future...Bet they are taking that into consideration!

She will do plenty of appearances when she is no longer considered young and appealing, until then, strict control baby!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

I wouldn't worry...I am sure Harry will marry someone who doesn't follow palace rules...and then they will get what they want...a mess.

Just to clarify..I don't want that for Harry...but, his type don't seem to be rule followers...sorry for veering off topic...

I just don't think they will every see the private kate in public...and whoevers decision it is..its made for a reason. Like if William doesn't want share his private kate with world...he shouldn't have to...he shares enough of his life with public...I feel like its his only way of keeping his sanity with his set life that's ahead of him.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family