General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that no one ever asks where William is on a Kate engagement? However if William is solo at the Baftas, Tusk Awards, etc it's where Kate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Or where is Sophie, Timothy, Brigitte etc..if their spouses are on a solo engagement.

KP mess this up, but Catherine will be back on shamrock duty next year, most likely.
This was a minor royal tradition performed by a variety of royals and non royals through the years. Catherine did not miss Trooping the Colours, for example. She attended a State dinner, if she is not asked to attend the next one do we say she's breaking tradition, she pulled out, she'd rather stay home and is work shy, etc.? No, because she was not scheduled to attend that next State dinner and her attendance at one does not ipso facto create a tradition of Catherine attending all future State dinners. It's unbelievable the print that's been dedicated to this non issue.
I truly hope she does not do it next year. This furor over a lack of appearance which was never scheduled in the first place is quite troubling and frankly reminds me of the media frenzy that grew to surround her mother in law. Diana helped whip up the frenzy by encouraging the press at times resulting in a horrible cost to herself and the Royal family. No one in the Royal family - including Catherine - wants a repeat of that debacle.
I think we need to see less of Catherine as the press are like a bunch of heroin addicts, lying, calling her names (dishonoring the people who have served - puleese,) stalking her, her parents & siblings and their partners and her children w/ long lens cameras, etc. - whatever it takes to get their next hit, which is photos of Catherine. The press needs to be weaned of their addiction.

Last edited:
I don't like that the media distorted the story and made it seem like Kate's non-participation in the St. Patrick's Day event broke a 115 year tradition, however I think that there needs to be a recognition that the British Royal Family, individually and collectively, should grasp onto anything that the public has a favorable response to - assuming that one's dignity is not compromised.

When gushy documentaries about British Royal Family are aired and it is discussed how and why the British Royal Family maintains interest and premiere status, they are usually praised for "getting it right" in terms of balancing pomp and ceremony with being visible and relate-able. I don't think that they are in the habit of looking gift horses in the mouth, e.g., somewhere along the way someone had ideas like standing out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, doing a Christmas broadcast, walking to church en masse on Christmas morning and the public responded well to these things and the BRF kept doing these things, and voila traditions were born.

In 1969 the Queen did not do a Christmas broadcast because she felt that there had been enough television exposure of the Bristish Royal Family that year - that year the investiture of Charles as Prince of Wales and the landmark documentary on the Royal Family were broadcast, there was push back and the Queen ended up issuing a statement assuring that she will continue the tradition the following year and also the doing what amounted to a Christmas Speech in writing.

I don't think that there will be any lasting repercussions if Catherine "returns to tradition" next year and I hope that the Cambridges are wise enough to actually embrace these kinds of circumstances where the public favorably responds to their presence at an event.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in calling what Kate wears, her hair and her makeup irrelevant to the event but as I'm not overly interested in fashion, it was just my perspective. A lot of people do like to watch the show and comment on fashion and I do think that's an extra perk that we perhaps get with having a young, attractive Duchess.

I just think its sad that its these points that seem to be the most focused on and what some believe she is all about as window dressing on the arm on her prince. I prefer to see her as making a difference with the roles she takes on and the causes she stands up for. To me, that's the primary role of a royal consort in the 21st century.

You're spot on. I think Catherine dresses down to make sure the focus is a n what she is supporting. Sadly, it doesn't stop the press from yapping endlessly about her clothing choices. Like you, I choose to,focus on what she does rather than what she wears.

:previous: I could not disagree more.
We ASSUMED she would do this year after year. The palace did not announce that, we assumed.
And as my third grade teacher explained to us - never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Really, if we lay this at the feet of the PR folk, then they should routinely issue these warnings:

• William and Catherine are part time only.
  • Catherine's dress will be mostly a safe choice and often repeated. While not a spender, she will buy quality items
  • At this time in their life they are putting their time with kids first
  • If you read political meaning into their innocuous statements then the bad is on you, not them
  • They have money. They have houses. They take vacations. Get over it.
  • Just because they did it once does not mean they will do it always.
  • The Duchess gets to do what she likes with her hair. She is a princess, not a for-hire fashion model walking a runway
  • The Duchess is also allowed to keep her relationship with her family. She did not divorce them when she married William.
  • They have a whole, robust personal life that they are not going to share with the public. Live with it.
  • The Queen thinks all this is A OK.
  • Just as the Queen does not allow the public to edit her public engagement schedule, she thinks her guidance to members of her family on that topic is sufficient.

BRAVO! This is just brilliant. You should repost this whenever appropriate. It sums up everything quite nicely.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I've edited and moved a number of posts. Please remember that this thread is for general news and information for the Duchess of Cambridge. If you wish to discuss her fashion choices, you can do so in her fashion thread. Posts regarding the Cambridges’ popularity/press coverage have been moved to the Royal Family Media thread. Posts discussing how many engagements William and Catherine should do, have been moved to William and Catherine: future duties, roles and responsibilities.

As has previously been posted by a moderator, the discussion about Catherine and the St. Patrick's Day parade is just going around in circles. By now everyone has said their piece and it is time we move on.

Last edited:
They released those on their website after the South Asian tour. They are probably still on their website somewhere.

Jessica Hay needed some cash, I would imagine, and felt it sounded better with a specific number of times attached.

There's so much that's painfully off in that article including things that are obviously untrue (there's no way that dress was floor length as a skirt, for example). If you're going to embellish that way, it calls into question everything you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
How sexy Kate Middleton flashed her nude bum to male students who passed her second-story dorm window '90 TIMES' and earned moniker 'Kate Middlebum' revealed in new book | Daily Mail Online

Seriously DM?

I'm not always a fan of Kate but she has always conducted herself with grace and this is beyond words.....

But what if it's true?

Do you really think that it would have remained unknown until now if it were true?

I'm sure the press has dredged through her past with a fine tooth-comb many times over the years and this has only been 'revealed' to this one author now?

Then I'd want to know why the heck someone was bothering to keep count, if this was such a regular thing. :lol:

:previous: Now that is a fair point, and a good question. :lol: Perhaps they couldn't believe she was doing it so much and decided to keep count. Teenagers do strange things. While one does the mooning, another one keeps count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
How sexy Kate Middleton flashed her nude bum to male students who passed her second-story dorm window '90 TIMES' and earned moniker 'Kate Middlebum' revealed in new book | Daily Mail Online

Seriously DM?

I'm not always a fan of Kate but she has always conducted herself with grace and this is beyond words.....

Do you really think that it would have remained unknown until now if it were true?

I'm sure the press has dredged through her past with a fine tooth-comb many times over the years and this has only been 'revealed' to this one author now?

It's not remained unknown until now. Just google "Kate Middleton mooning" and you'll find lots of references. In 2012 James Whitaker reported about her going through a phase of doing it, and I've read about it elsewhere, too.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think I have to log out and log in again to be sure I'm at The Royal Forums and not some trashy, gossipy, inflammatory postings of articles just to make a sensation or because a royal's name happens to be in the headlines or someone wants to up their posting numbers and will post just about anything regardless of its content.

It is seriously bringing down to a low level a forum that used to be well respected and informative place to gather and discuss things. Now its getting to be no better than the tabloids these articles are coming from.

Sad. Very sad.

Jessica Hay needed some cash, I would imagine, and felt it sounded better with a specific number of times attached.

There's so much that's painfully off in that article including things that are obviously untrue (there's no way that dress was floor length as a skirt, for example). If you're going to embellish that way, it calls into question everything you say.

:google:

Here's an article by the designer in which she confirms it was made as a skirt but Kate wore it as a dress.

Kate Middleton's £30 see-through dress that caught a prince | Metro News

So is reading what someone actually wrote:

"there's no way that dress was floor length as a skirt"

Nothing in that phrase implies that it wasn't a skirt, just that, as a skirt, it clearly would not be floor length.

Sometimes I think I have to log out and log in again to be sure I'm at The Royal Forums and not some trashy, gossipy, inflammatory postings of articles just to make a sensation or because a royal's name happens to be in the headlines or someone wants to up their posting numbers and will post just about anything regardless of its content.

It is seriously bringing down to a low level a forum that used to be well respected and informative place to gather and discuss things. Now its getting to be no better than the tabloids these articles are coming from.

Sad. Very sad.

I think it is sad that some people either do not want to admit and/or do not want to face the truth about some of the royals' behaviour, and only want to read a sanitised, whitewashed, account. This is a discussion forum, not a fan club.

So is reading what someone actually wrote:

"there's no way that dress was floor length as a skirt"

Nothing in that phrase implies that it wasn't a skirt, just that, as a skirt, it clearly would not be floor length.

Good catch. You've got me there. It would only have been mid-calf length.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read that before, and remember the original info came from a school mate at Marlborough. To be fair, this girl didn't say Kate was constantly doing it and it appeared to be a joke among her group of friends, just the sort of thing very silly young schoolgirls can sometimes get up to.

Having said that, if the source of information for the DM is the book 'Game of Crowns' that I recently purchased but, except for the first few pages, haven't yet read, then I'm not impressed with the author's work. He seems to have got several of his stories from British tabloids, so it's a case of cross-pollination!

Last edited:
I have read that before, and remember the original info came from a school mate at Marlborough. To be fair, this girl didn't say Kate was constantly doing it and it appeared to be a joke among her group of friends, just the sort of thing very silly young schoolgirls can sometimes get up to.

Having said that, if the source of information for the DM is the book 'Game of Crowns' that I recently purchased but, except for the first few pages, haven't yet read, then I'm not impressed with the author's work. He seems to have got several of his stories from British tabloids, so it's a case of cross-pollination!

Might explain why she doesn't put weights in her dresses ??

:previous: I'm surprised it took so long for that comment to be made. :lol: It's what a racegoer would call "having form".

Sad. Very sad.

My sentiments exactly.

General News and Information for the Duchess of Cambridge

All I did was read the headline of the article, and that's all I'm going to read. It sounds: trivial, petty, pathetic, trashy, and pretty irrelevant.

News would be something along the lines of a drunk driving accident.

This is a person hawking a book. These types of stories are regularly posted in C&C thread including for this book.

IMO, these articles and books are not worth reading.

There should be a forum in the library section for books or articles that are pure fiction.

Last edited:
Majesty magazine says Kate Middleton's 'boring image' her biggest mistake | Royal | News | Daily Express
The highly respected royal biographer said: "I think she's integrated extremely well. It's not easy - not a lot of guidance - but of course she has the best teacher in William.
Ingrid Seward highly respected? Don't make me laugh.
Ms Seward, a friend of William's late mother Princess Diana, suggested it had been perhaps inevitable that the couple would face some criticism after almost universally positive media coverage for so long.

She said: "The timing was right for a couple of blips to happen. They were so much on top of the pedestal there was only one way and that was down."
It was the media who decided that the only way was down. Most experts have actually been very supportive to both William and Kate.

Well, I don't blame her for being "terrified" of getting things wrong. The British media don't give royals the room to make a few mistakes or allow the royals to really speak their minds. If she did that, the snobbish British media would rip her a new hole.

I really don't think Catherine is given the same opportunities as her royal counterparts are given. I guess her only choice is to be a bit "boring." She's doing a good job though.

I've deleted some posts. Please stay on topic, this thread isn't about Kate's fashion.

For other Aussies ...on sunrise 7 in the morning special on Will and Kate. Set your recorders. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom