General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an aide alongside William, I believe.

The DM and their great journalism ?

The information about the first tiara - Spencer Tiara is wrong. W&H didn't inherit it. It belongs to Earl Spencer as part of the Spencer estate to be passed down to future earls.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Richard Godwin spends the afternoon at Chance UK’s early intervention mentoring programme with the Duchess of Cambridge

“I feel so proud to watch this,” whispers Caroline Hopkins, the programme manager at Chance UK. “I found myself welling up when the children began to talk to her.”

We are at Islington Town Hall as the Duchess of Cambridge meets children on Chance UK’s early intervention mentoring programme. As Kate examines a picture of a princess painted by one of the children,

Faith Buchanan, eight, I too get sentimental. From the year I spent as a Chance UK mentor, I know it’s not always easy to draw smiles from these children — and Faith is beaming.
Read more: The day I met Kate Middleton: 'She's kind and assured, and seems like a real person' | London Life | Lifestyle | London Evening Standard

Chance UK's chief executive Gracia McGrath spoke with People magazine.

Princess Kate is a royal with heart.

As PEOPLE observed her working earlier this week, she was far from formal, learning about the challenges facing young people and spreading cheer as she did.

Joining a group of children and their mentors from Chance UK, there was laughter and some raw emotion.

"This isn't someone smiling and nodding," Chance UK's chief executive Gracia McGrath tells PEOPLE. "She is asking intelligent questions and knows what happens when children go off the rails and go off the rails early."

For Kate it was the latest stage in a series of visits as she highlights the roots of some of society's toughest challenges. She has been setting her sights on helping attention on the early intervention for young people, whether they have mental health difficulties or face other social issues.
Read more: Princess Kate Not Just 'Smiling and Nodding' As She Tackles Kids' Welfare : People.com

Richard Godwin spends the afternoon at Chance UK’s early intervention mentoring programme with the Duchess of Cambridge

Read more: The day I met Kate Middleton: 'She's kind and assured, and seems like a real person' | London Life | Lifestyle | London Evening Standard

Chance UK's chief executive Gracia McGrath spoke with People magazine.

Read more: Princess Kate Not Just 'Smiling and Nodding' As She Tackles Kids' Welfare : People.com

These accounts are all the evidence I need to know that Catherine is genuine, and cares about those who benefit from her involvement in given causes. The woman is a gem, plain and simple.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm glad there's an article that's actually focused on her work and the issues she's highlighting.

I think that's partly true. Not entirely accurate, as the media are always interested in women's fashion choices and particularly in Kate's... but when she recorded both videos about EACH and palliative cares etc most of the news were about her message. So I partly agree with that...

I think that's partly true. Not entirely accurate, as the media are always interested in women's fashion choices and particularly in Kate's... but when she recorded both videos about EACH and palliative cares etc most of the news were about her message. So I partly agree with that...

I agree, her fashion will be of interest regardless. I also agree that the media do focus on her messages she puts out on behalf of her charities.

I think most royals are very nervous when it comes to public speaking. I think the only way to practice it is by doing it. The nerves may never go away, but at least your voice is being heard. Perhaps it's down to her wanting to learn more about the causes she's supporting, so she can have something meaningful to say on it's behalf. She releases support letters through her press office, but it would be great to hear from her more often though. She could also do a short interview on behalf of her charities. William, Harry, Sophie, Charles, Eugenie and Beatrice have done so.

I agree, her fashion will be of interest regardless. I also agree that the media do focus on her messages she puts out on behalf of her charities.

I think most royals are very nervous when it comes to public speaking. I think the only way to practice it is by doing it. The nerves may never go away, but at least your voice is being heard. Perhaps it's down to her wanting to learn more about the causes she's supporting, so she can have something meaningful to say on it's behalf. She releases support letters through her press office, but it would be great to hear from her more often though. She could also do a short interview on behalf of her charities. William, Harry, Sophie, Charles, Eugenie and Beatrice have done so.

I don't know how much she practices, but she gives me the impression she reads her speeches just before going to the engagement she has to attend...

I don't know how much she practices, but she gives me the impression she reads her speeches just before going to the engagement she has to attend...
I don't agree at all. I think she has practiced alot, almost to the level of over practicing but still have no conidence in it so she reads it. That is what happened alot in school, and it got stiff.

I don't agree at all. I think she has practiced alot, almost to the level of over practicing but still have no conidence in it so she reads it. That is what happened alot in school, and it got stiff.

mmm I think it has to do with her accent. She has changed her accent since getting married, and I would prefer her using her original Berkshire accent...

Don't get the chatter on Twitter about the Duchess of Cambridge's engagement yesterday. I thought the focus was primarily on the engagement and less on what she was wearing.

Don't get the chatter on Twitter about the Duchess of Cambridge's engagement yesterday. I thought the focus was primarily on the engagement and less on what she was wearing.

Did you read that too? Many posters were on point though. It seems she didn't get much coverage , or at least, that's what I understood.

I thought there was some good coverage. There was some articles in DM, there was Twitter buzz and everything. I don't get what they're talking about. Am I missing something?

I thought there was some good coverage. There was some articles in DM, there was Twitter buzz and everything. I don't get what they're talking about. Am I missing something?

I honestly don't know, as I read just some of the tweets... they were suggesting that only royal watchers are really interested in her charities but most of the others want to see clothes etc... and Plamer was disappointed that the coverage wasn't big as earlier times.. maybe try and read the rest... strange vibe though

Its Palmer being Palmer.

It just wasn't about Kate. He said on Twitter today that interest in Harry is also waning. He said newspapers didn't really cover his tour in South Africa.

He said no one is interested in Charles and Camilla. He said no press covered Charles and Camilla in Australia.

It was just a rambling mess.

He was basically having a pop at the British Royals.

I stopped following him but read his timeline today.

I didn't get Richard Palmer's arguments at all today on Twitter. He complains about the addiction center not getting a lot of coverage. Most of the time we get these quickie article with arrival pics that are mostly - Here's Kate wearing such dress which cost so much and shots of wind blowing her hair. Then later on maybe we see an updated article with some quotes and some new photos.

However, the part I don't get is. The reporters know where she is going. They could have put together the background info about the addiction center beforehand. Call Action on Addiction and ask them why this is needed. All before Kate even shows up.

Then his second argument of the day - that people are losing interest in the royals and therefore we need to know more about there private lives so then people will be more interested in the public work. So if we learn that Will is playing hours of FIFA 16 trying to keep Aston Villa in the virtual premier league but they still lose. Or that Kate is a secret QVC addict and someone is getting a Fergie Flat Iron in Royal purple this Christmas. Or Nanny Maria is at war with George over him flushing his socks daily down the Royal commode. Is any of this going to make you read the next article on Kate visiting a school or William a homeless shelter if you weren't going to already.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yeah, his argument was interesting. He said that royal bloggers and fans are bored with the current royal story. That most people aren't interested in the charity/official work of the royals. It's the glamour and soap opera that interest the public/media, so they're going to have to start sharing a bit more of their private lives.

In a way I can see his point. The public loves a good scandal, so a happily married couple just doesn't sell the way a dysfunctional couple would. There are only so many articles they can write about Kate/William and their normal family activities. Having said that, I don't see how releasing more photos will change anything. If the media/fans want glamour and soap opera, releasing photos of their every day lives won't give them any of that.

Last edited:
The thing is the British Royals aren't celebrities. Sure there is an element of 'celebrity' but they're not celebrities themselves.

This notion that there must always be a story or 'drama' is perverse imo.

Do political reporters want to know what games the Defence Secretary plays on his xbox. No they just cover the event.

Richard Palmer will be waiting until the cows come home before the royals open up their private lives any more than they're already doing.

The country is a constitutional monarchy. They play a role in our government. The royals aren't there to entertain Richard Palmer.

Its Palmer being Palmer.

It just wasn't about Kate. He said on Twitter today that interest in Harry is also waning. He said newspapers didn't really cover his tour in South Africa.

He said no one is interested in Charles and Camilla. He said no press covered Charles and Camilla in Australia.

It was just a rambling mess.

He was basically having a pop at the British Royals.

I stopped following him but read his timeline today.

IMHO he and the other members of the press know that interest in their "private lives" drives their sales. Until Prince Harry is engaged/married there is very likely to be a drop in sales again. These things are cyclical.

Yeah, his argument was interesting. He said that royal bloggers and fans are bored with the current royal story. That most people aren't interested in the charity/official work of the royals. It's the glamour and soap opera that interest the public/media, so they're going to have to start sharing a bit more of their private lives.

In a way I can see his point. The public loves a good scandal, so a happily married couple just doesn't sell the way a dysfunctional couple would. There are only so many articles they can write about Kate/William and their normal family activities. Having said that, I don't see how releasing more photos will change anything. If the media/fans want glamour and soap opera, releasing photos of their every day lives won't give them any of that.

I agree with you soapstar that scandal does sell and right now the Cambridges are not as "interesting." Happy family photos don't have the same appeal as headlines shrieking about affairs and divorce. I can hardly see the Windsors wanting a repeat of the 1990's.;)

IMO, Palmer is merely offering back handed threats in the hopes that he or another member of the press will get some especially juicy bit of news. If not real, then imagined.

IMO, Palmer is merely offering back handed threats in the hopes that he or another member of the press will get some especially juicy bit of news. If not real, then imagined.

exactly - i saw it as a veiled threat... if you dont let us stalk you and have access to your private lives no one will want you.

to me it just read as bitter

Sometimes Palmer has some points. And sometimes he sounds like a stressed and pressed man caught between a hard subject to report on, an editor that want to sell and a threat of newspapers being less imortant. The poor man sounds desperate at times and lashes out at the nearest thing, sometimes even tweeting about "how it's the editors choice"...

I would hope no one would want there to be any drama like the 1990's. I think the purpose of Catherine's engagement was a juicy story. At least it's juicy enough for me. The cause of Action on Addiction is worthy of good coverage.

Perhaps the Cambridge's will release some Christmas pictures. That will give something for everyone to chew on for a while.

Last edited:
Sometimes Palmer has some points. And sometimes he sounds like a stressed and pressed man caught between a hard subject to report on, an editor that want to sell and a threat of newspapers being less imortant. The poor man sounds desperate at times and lashes out at the nearest thing, sometimes even tweeting about "how it's the editors choice"...

Yup. He does often just sound despairing, but his comments are inappropriate if he wants to be known as an objective reporter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom