The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
Kate spotted at Peter Jones in Chelsea today :)

jenny ellis@jennycellis3h
Shopping in Peter Jones with @ellisgeorgia and Kate Middleton #onthekingsroad
What/Who is Peter Jones?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
What/Who is Peter Jones?
It's an exclusive department store owned by John Lewis.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's an exclusive department store owned by John Lewis.
Thank you, Lumutqueen!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
What/Who is Peter Jones?
Peter Jones
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Majesty

JB ‏@Royal_beans 2m
Speculation: The Duchess of Cambridge is set to attend a medals parade with the Irish Guards on Dec 6 #royal

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 PM
Majesty

The media must stop obsessing about the Duchess of Cambridge's body-
The media must stop obsessing about the Duchess of Cambridge's body | Life and style | theguardian.com

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The media must stop obsessing about the Duchess of Cambridge's body-
The media must stop obsessing about the Duchess of Cambridge's body | Life and style | theguardian.com
Excellent article. Pity thought that the level of language used is too difficult for those DM readers to comprehend, otherwise they might even learn something.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

Yeah, the ghost of Diana weighing in (pun intended!) on Kate's size was just a wee bit over the top.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Commoner

Kate & Work Ethic

Hello! Popping in with a question... I was perusing some royal "fandom" blogs on Tumblr.com and came across quite a few posters who seemed to be quite critical of Kate's work ethic, or rather, her lack of it. The general consensus seemed to be that she is not pulling her weight when it comes to "work". A lot of it seemed quite catty (all she does is shop! she doesn't have a passion for charity!) but it also made me wonder if this is really a true sentiment among royal watchers or if it's just something that comes from the tabloids who like to stir up trouble?

Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand.

Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaLF View Post
Hello! Popping in with a question... I was perusing some royal "fandom" blogs on Tumblr.com and came across quite a few posters who seemed to be quite critical of Kate's work ethic, or rather, her lack of it. The general consensus seemed to be that she is not pulling her weight when it comes to "work". A lot of it seemed quite catty (all she does is shop! she doesn't have a passion for charity!) but it also made me wonder if this is really a true sentiment among royal watchers or if it's just something that comes from the tabloids who like to stir up trouble?

Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand.

Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.
Welcome to The Royal Forums! If there is any aspect of The Duchess of Cambridge that is to be found, its most likely has been very much discussed here somewhere. There are even archive areas where conversations about Kate are kept that date back long before her engagement and marriage.

I honestly think it boils down to personal perspective to how people see Kate. From my perspective of being a full time housewife and mother for years and never really "worked" much in my life, it could be vastly different from the poster that has been a career person since leaving school. Its what makes this place so interesting and I'm hoping you will find it as much as a source for information, a place to talk with fantastic people from all over the world, and a good way to not only get to know the royals, what they do and what their worlds are like.

I came here for Ascot hats years ago and haven't left yet!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand. Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.

Personally, I've continually held the opinion that Catherine and William are lazy when it comes to royal work and have done their very best to pursue their dream of "normality".
Opponents to my opinion usually say, they're not heirs, there's no "need" for them and they can be as normal as possible until The Queen passes away.

My problem is, their figures in the BRF, they're major figures on the world stage and they are senior royals and the do very little to capitalise on it. People want to see them, they are popular and they can do wonders for the royal family's image but they don't. I also feel like they both have no excuse, William yes was in the RAF and he trained and being in the military is royal tradition but I feel he good have done more during his time. Catherine IMO has no excuse, other than when she was ill with morning sickness and the last month of her pregnancy she could have done a lot more. Easing in, okay few months I'll agree with 2 years? No way. Even now, William and Catherine are "increasing their profile and engagements" but increasing to one every 2 weeks maybe? Neither have an excuse, yes they have a young child but so do millions of full time mothers who literally have to work 40 hours a week to provide for that child.

To answer your questions specifically;

1, Royals are always asked to do engagements, on behalf of patronages, charities, openings, visits etc, I always have this image of The Queen dishing out the weeks engagements over Sunday dinner and them having a family argument. That's besides the point, I imagine when royals represent the Queen specifically like investitures or on behalf etc The Queen could pick and choose the royal to suit the occasion.

2, It all comes down to The Queen in general, if Catherine was needed the Queen would ask or dish out whichever way they do it.

The papers are positive when we see William and Catherine, mainly it's fashion news or Diana related with papers like Daily Mail or The Sun they rarely do focus on the engagement itself unless it's person related (visiting a hospital, personal connection etc). When William finished the RAF tabloids started to use the phrase "gap year" to describe what he was doing. Transitional year was also bounced around. I follow a lot of reporters on twitter and William and Catherine's diaries seem to be a hot topic simply because we get to know about engagements with very short notice.

A lot of people just want to see more of them I believe.

Catherine and William both have their own duties, roles and responsibilities thread where can you read through what posters think and how it's altered.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
1, Royals are always asked to do engagements, on behalf of patronages, charities, openings, visits etc, I always have this image of The Queen dishing out the weeks engagements over Sunday dinner and them having a family argument. That's besides the point, I imagine when royals represent the Queen specifically like investitures or on behalf etc The Queen could pick and choose the royal to suit the occasion.

2, It all comes down to The Queen in general, if Catherine was needed the Queen would ask or dish out whichever way they do it.
And there we have it. Very well stated and very well explained. MUCH better than I ever could.

I had to chuckle over the image of the Queen dishing out duties and engagements over the mashed potatoes. It does actually happen that way with the Queen approving and giving assent to any engagement that represents Her. A food fight with the mashed potatoes is something we'd most likely never hear about but so much fun to imagine!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

IMHO the senior royals within the BRF have a great deal of influence over who does what and when within the family as a whole.
I believe that HM and the DoE prefer to have their own children and HM's cousins in the forefront during HM's reign. I see signals that this will change when her reign comes to an end. At this point in time, the Windsors do have a larger group of family members acting on behalf of the Queen when compared to other European royal families. They are the patrons of hundreds of charities, military regiments and undertake many engagements on her behalf. The grandchildren are not being called up to the full time positions yet. Now as HM and the DoE begin to back off on their engagements due to health or age concerns, then we'll likely see the Cambridges and Prince Harry being moved into a full time role.
Also unique to the Windsors was for a time in the late nineties they were experiencing a downturn in their popularity. There were published opinion polls where members of the public believed that William should succeed his grandmother over his father. Thankfully the PoW "rehabilitation" appears to have been a success and apparently more of the public believe that he should succeed his mother. Having the PoW and Camilla take on more public duties has been key to helping to reshape their image even if it meant his children were to take a part time role.

It is a unique situation having a monarch and two adult waiting to succeed. This hasn't been seen in the UK since Victoria was on the throne. IMHO there are many facets to the decision making process within the family.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Personally, I've continually held the opinion that Catherine and William are lazy when it comes to royal work and have done their very best to pursue their dream of "normality".
Opponents to my opinion usually say, they're not heirs, there's no "need" for them and they can be as normal as possible until The Queen passes away.

My problem is, their figures in the BRF, they're major figures on the world stage and they are senior royals and the do very little to capitalise on it. People want to see them, they are popular and they can do wonders for the royal family's image but they don't. I also feel like they both have no excuse, William yes was in the RAF and he trained and being in the military is royal tradition but I feel he good have done more during his time. Catherine IMO has no excuse, other than when she was ill with morning sickness and the last month of her pregnancy she could have done a lot more. Easing in, okay few months I'll agree with 2 years? No way. Even now, William and Catherine are "increasing their profile and engagements" but increasing to one every 2 weeks maybe? Neither have an excuse, yes they have a young child but so do millions of full time mothers who literally have to work 40 hours a week to provide for that child.
I can't find it right now but there was a period after William's birth that Charles and Diana didn't have many public engagements. IIRC, Charles had about 120 and Diana about 70. The articles at the time alleged that Anne was irritated by their "laziness."

I think there are several reasons that William and Catherine haven't been more visible. One is certainly that they have chosen not to be more active. Another is that William has a demanding job and Charles didn't do that many engagements when he was an active military officer.

Finally, William--with the Queen's and Charles' approval--is obviously considering how the monarchy should function when he is king. I do see him continuing the trend towards a downsized monarchy.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Commoner

Thanks everyone for your input!

I suppose what I was most wondering about was the thinking behind the way work is assigned or scheduled. How much input a particular royal has in what they do.

I do wonder if there is a bit of theater involved, if there is a deliberate decision to keep William and Kate from overexposure, seeing as how much good publicity is generated each time they're out? And I'm assuming there is probably behind-the-scenes work where no photographs are taken, too. I could see thinking that the public is so thirsty to see anything with these two, that by deliberately holding them back they create a demand?

Or are they being held back because they're still junior in the scheme of things? I expect of course that things will begin to step up much more in the coming years as the Queen slows down.

I just feel the idea that Will & Kate being called lazy a bit distasteful. I don't know if I want to ascribe those qualities to someone we don't know anything about, and we certainly do not know how things are behind the Palace walls. It gives an air of seeing William as a reluctant royal, whereas maybe I am more sympathetic to his wanting a quieter and more private life during the early years of his marriage and fatherhood, a result of his mother's experiences.

He is so protective of Kate, and remembering how unhappy his mother was the way she was thrown to the media wolves with no instruction or protection, maybe he is using his influence with the Queen to keep them away from the spotlight for now. I am sure he is cognizant of the fact that this is not a situation that he can keep forever, especially after his father becomes King. Maybe they're keeping quiet now as much as they can for as long as they can, and have HM's blessing to do so? I
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Courtier

William has just done a ton of engagements. End.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input!

I suppose what I was most wondering about was the thinking behind the way work is assigned or scheduled. How much input a particular royal has in what they do.

I do wonder if there is a bit of theater involved, if there is a deliberate decision to keep William and Kate from overexposure, seeing as how much good publicity is generated each time they're out? And I'm assuming there is probably behind-the-scenes work where no photographs are taken, too. I could see thinking that the public is so thirsty to see anything with these two, that by deliberately holding them back they create a demand?

Or are they being held back because they're still junior in the scheme of things? I expect of course that things will begin to step up much more in the coming years as the Queen slows down.

I just feel the idea that Will & Kate being called lazy a bit distasteful. I don't know if I want to ascribe those qualities to someone we don't know anything about, and we certainly do not know how things are behind the Palace walls. It gives an air of seeing William as a reluctant royal, whereas maybe I am more sympathetic to his wanting a quieter and more private life during the early years of his marriage and fatherhood, a result of his mother's experiences.

He is so protective of Kate, and remembering how unhappy his mother was the way she was thrown to the media wolves with no instruction or protection, maybe he is using his influence with the Queen to keep them away from the spotlight for now. I am sure he is cognizant of the fact that this is not a situation that he can keep forever, especially after his father becomes King. Maybe they're keeping quiet now as much as they can for as long as they can, and have HM's blessing to do so? I
I think people determine how active W&K are based on the number of appearances. We have no idea what they do when they are not shopping or their appearances.

I am very much in favor of mothers or fathers staying home with their children for the first few years versus the first few months. Though I will not criticize parents who choose or have to work.

But, it all boils down to each persons expectations of what W&K should be doing. There isn't a template for what a member of the royal family should be doing. W&K are not getting money from the civil list (is that the correct term) so I don't see what the big deal is about what they are or are not doing. I would love to not have to work or worry about money, lucky for them they don't have to. I won't envy them as I love the life I have.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Commoner

Quote:
There isn't a template for what a member of the royal family should be doing.
Yes, that's the key there, isn't it? The critics are basing their complaints on an arbitrary basis, and informed by their personal feelings about W&K (and Kate especiallly), usually negative.

Thanks everyone for your input. I honestly think the critics come off a bit childish, as if they're owed something by W&K. I am ok with letting them live their lives, we have many years ahead to see them more and step up their work.

Good to come here to talk about it as opposed to the shrillness and immaturity of some of the other forums I've come across!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
William has just done a ton of engagements. End.
A ton of engagements? I think the definition off "a ton" is a bit off then.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

Welcome Andrea and I hope that you enjoy your discussions here at TRF.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family