The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton to play ball for Wimbledon:
Kate Middleton to play ball for Wimbledon | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The lack of respect for the Duke of Kent is disgraceful.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

I've just tweeted almost the exact same thing to Richard Palmer when I saw this article online. Absolutely pathetic.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Do you think maybe the palace is trying to lighten his load given his health issues this year? There continues to be a push to take patronages and responsibilities off the elder royals' plates.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The comment a plodding duke of kent by the journalist is disrespectful and is about the culture of youth; andif itis true that Wimbeldon has been chasing down Catherine basically to increase revenues, then Im disgusted by the lack of loyalty to the Kents who have served Wimbledon well.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Courtier

The problem was the adjective (plodding). It could have been worded so as not to be offensive.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Do you think maybe the palace is trying to lighten his load given his health issues this year? There continues to be a push to take patronages and responsibilities off the elder royals' plates.
I don't think so, given that this push for the Duchess of Cambridge to take over for the Duke of Kent started last year before his health issues, I believe, if not earlier.

And this is definitely ageism at its worst; no one should be described as plodding or be called to make way for a younger person because of the number of your years, be it a royal or the regular person on the street. I don't like this "out with the old, in with the new" mentality; it's become too prevalent in society and it is disrespectful of the experience and loyalty a person has invested in a patronage or job. If anyone described me as that at work because I'm of the older generation, I'd be handing them their head on a platter. Or stuffed in a trophy.....
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I've just tweeted almost the exact same thing to Richard Palmer when I saw this article online. Absolutely pathetic.
Thank you Lumutqueen. As you know I dont twit.

i hope he sorts out the fool that wrote (or it it writ) that piece

Well R ( other half) is laughing

Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Courtier

I agree the article was poorly written and disrespectful to the Duke, but there has been talk for some time about passing the torch at Wimbledon ( initiated on whose side, I don't know). however, I fear awkward transitions are going to continue to happen. I hope when an official announcement comes in any of these transitions, they are messaged well. On one hand,the younger royals aren't pulling their fair share and leaving the heavy lifting to the veterans. On the other hand, taking away the patronages from the veterans is viewed as ageism..putting them out to pasture. A delicate respectful balance is indeed necessary.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I almost never name call. Richard Palmer is a twit! Tweet away all...
Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I almost never name call. Richard Palmer is a twit! Tweet away all...
richard Palmer didnt write the article. Written by some rude bloke called Helliker. Now he is an ignorant twit.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry if this has been placed, "Kate goes antique shopping in Hungerford, England (June 22, 2013)"

Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
richard Palmer didnt write the article. Written by some rude bloke called Helliker. Now he is an ignorant twit.
Thanks - my bad!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Majesty

I think handing down the job to the Duchess of Cambridge would be great. It would be a way of helping the Duke of Kent out and the Duchess of Kent no longer attend these games.

Everyone will just have to get used to the fact that the younger royals will take over official duties at some point. The veteran royals of today did the samething for the veteran royals of back in the day.

I hope it's Catherine who will take over this job at Wimbledon.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think handing down the job to the Duchess of Cambridge would be great. It would be a way of helping the Duke of Kent out and the Duchess of Kent no longer attend these games.

Everyone will just have to get used to the fact that the younger royals will take over official duties at some point. The veteran royals of today did the samething for the veteran royals of back in the day.

I hope it's Catherine who will take over this job at Wimbledon.
None of us are saying that it would be a bad thing, we are saying that the article from the Express was disrespectful to the Duke.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Somehow I don't think Wimbledon is one of the dukes most taxing appointments, although one he most likely quite enjoys. I cannot see how removing him would be "helping him out" or even welcomed by him.
The topic just reaks of ageism and the "lets have something new and shiney to amuse us" mentality.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Courtier

I think this duties are for minor royal. Queen or future queen can't spend two weeks watching tennis. It would be good position for Eugenie or Harry, but not for Kate (or Camilla).
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mary used to. The Kents took over from her.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Majesty

I agree the wording in the article could've been different.

I'm not sure about the "ageism" angle. I think what the Duke of Kent do for Wimbledon is important but I think if he decides to step down from the job, I think it would be good to get Catherine to take over.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Wow,she is VERY pregnant!
Looks imminent!
She looks she's dropping,from Jul 1st anytime,and she's wearing flats!!!! Comfort rules

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family