The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Many young people that have wealthy families do not work. And I can tell you that working for a family firm can be very difficult. Catherine chose what was right for her. If you do not want to look up to her or want your children to look up to her, then I would suggest that you turn off the computer and find someone local to look up too. Surely you have a Mother, Aunt, friend, school teacher, etc. in your neighborhood to use as a roll model.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
No one would ever say that about a man working for the family business
I would say that about a man if he didn't do anything; but I was not talking about a "man", I was talking about Kate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Is there any sound basis for your suggestion that Kate worked for the family firm "in case she might fail" or, "conversely, really like being her own woman" was not on her agenda? Do you consider every body who works for a family business as one not wanting to leave the comfort zone or one afraid of failure?
No I don't. I have a family business, several of my cousins have a family business and my mother has her own business. I think the difference between my family and Kate is that they actually work. No special treatment, no company cars, no extended vacations, etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the issue is that you and many others seem to assume that what you see is ALL there is. When Catherine was dating William we only saw her when she was either with William or in the evening. that probably amounts to c. 20% of her life.

Some of us understand this and do not assume she spent the remaining time twiddling her thumbs. She said that she knows she worked and so do the people that matter. I choose to believe her, you seemingly don't.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Majesty

Sometimes there are privileges when working for a family company. It does not mean they're not working hard for the business. Some people do work hard and some fun on the side.

I believe Catherine also had a job when she was at university. When she left, she went on to work at Jigsaw.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Many young people that have wealthy families do not work. And I can tell you that working for a family firm can be very difficult. Catherine chose what was right for her. If you do not want to look up to her or want your children to look up to her, then I would suggest that you turn off the computer and find someone local to look up too. Surely you have a Mother, Aunt, friend, school teacher, etc. in your neighborhood to use as a roll model.
A roll model? She's a nice enough young woman, but I would not call her a roll model.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Catherine never asked to be a roll model. She fell in love with a young man and did what was right for herself. I suggest everyone give her that right. And they should do what is right for themselves.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Majesty

It's okay to look up to royalty, Hollywood stars and other public figures as role models, just as long as you understand and even teach your children that these public figures are human just like everyone else. As humans, these public figures aren't going to do everything, say everything or wear everything that you will agree with and they will make their own mistakes. It's just what humans do.

Many on here may not see Catherine as a role model but she may just be a role model for several young girls out there. They may like her fashion, they may like her hair, beauty or that she married a prince, became a princess and now a future Queen. I think she meet many of her admires when she's out on her walkabouts on official engagements and those who write her.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Courtier

The Spelling Grump feels compelled to speak: the words we are looking for are "role model." Only the Pillsbury Doughboy is a roll model.

As for Kate- she is close to her family, and she chose to work in their very successful business until she married. How can that be even remotely controversial?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Courtier

God I hate people who criticize people for living their life how they like to. Catherine has never done anything to harm anyone and yet the knives are out to find any fault with. I find these people truly pathetic and really need to look at their own lives before criticizing other people.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
God I hate people who criticize people for living their life how they like to. Catherine has never done anything to harm anyone and yet the knives are out to find any fault with. I find these people truly pathetic and really need to look at their own lives before criticizing other people.
What bert said
Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The Spelling Grump feels compelled to speak: the words we are looking for are "role model." Only the Pillsbury Doughboy is a roll model.

As for Kate- she is close to her family, and she chose to work in their very successful business until she married. How can that be even remotely controversial?
Lol, thanks for pointing the this out. I don't know why I was saying "roll model" instead of "role model."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Now that Kate is about to give birth, I don't think anyone (even me) would criticize her for being home to take care of her family. I am not highly concerned with the choices of other women after they have kids or even marry well enough not to have to work. It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.

Currently, she is where she wants to be and that is just fine. Everyone alludes that Kate is a high achiever...I hope she doesn't get bored continually waiting for William.
This is a hereditary monarchy so waiting is a part of the game. Follow the long lived Queen Elizabeth II and you better have a well developed patience. Charles and Camilla are waiting as are the Cambridges. Though something tells me that Kate is waiting for the day she can tie her shoes again without assistance.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

One has to wonder.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Royal Highness

Oops, I knew there was something off when I typed "roll model," just couldn't put my finger on it.....

As for Roll Models, she is learning to become a gourmet cook....
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
A roll model? She's a nice enough young woman, but I would not call her a roll model.
Maybe not for you GG, but we all choose our own role models. There are children and grown-ups that look to her as an example on all kinds of things.

Then there is the whole "Kate effect" when she wears something... and it sells out.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Oops, I knew there was something off when I typed "roll model," just couldn't put my finger on it.....

As for Roll Models, she is learning to become a gourmet cook....
Cloverleaf, Parker House, fans, sourdough, cinnamon, raisin, sweet, the list is endless for our favorite "roll" model.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

add to the list Chelsea bun

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Hear, hear ! Catherine has done what is right for her, and personally, if I were in her shoes, I'd do the same. It would be lovely to NOT worry about having a job, but having one because one WANTS to. She worked with Jigsaw, and then with her family's company, and considered that sufficient. I'm sure her parents left her funds that she could use to enjoy her young years, and be as stress-free as possible. I'd give a lot to be in that position. Now, she gets to use her talents and education to help others, and again, not worry about having to stretch a paycheck. And if 'waiting for a man' means that I'll be secure, I'm all for it. It's important to be independent, but it's also great to be taken care of. Catherine had a chance to experience the former by working in her family's company, and the latter by falling in love and marrying a man who is pretty well off. I say 'well done!'

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder if this is the sort of thing all the young women who didn't snag their princes or dukes in the 19th and 20th centuries gossiped about.... Well Princess Alexandra is hardly a role model! She's Danish for goodness' sake! All she did was arrange flowers and entertain herself with that sister of hers...Maud, was it? Whereas, all the ladies at court fill their days with language, music, art, and conversation!

Please! This argument comes up again, and again, and again. It's boring, pointless, and has been discussed ad nauseum. Kate worked for her family--whether the amount of work lives up to your standards for someone who is portrayed in the media as having come from the "real world" is irrelevant! She is absolutely a role model in the present day in terms of her poise, personal fitness, dedication to charitable causes, class, and status. If any young woman, who would otherwise stray towards violence and vulgarity, sees The Duchess of Cambridge and then strives to elevate her own demeanor and behavior, I'd say we've got a successful role model on our hands!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

When Catherine first appeared on the scene evaluations of her were made. She was at University . . . did she go to St Andrews to capture her prince or to get an education? Bottom line, we don't know and we never will. She did however, gain a superior education!

When she graduated we saw more of her because the press were allowed to follow William more after he had graduated and so really, we only saw her when she was with him. That translated to Polo, and clubbing, which is what young people do but they don't do them 24/7. Whatever she worked at or did when she was not with William is open to interpretation.
Bottom line . . . she worked at some point for the Jigsaw and the family firm. Was she fully involved or just passing the time? We don't know and we never will.

The point is, it is really none of our business what Catherine did or didn't do until such time as she married the heir to the heir to the Throne! Now we are all allowed to comment on how she carries out her role as Duchess of Cambridge, what sort of wife she appears to be, is she gracious, articulate, empathic? Does she support her husband in his role, is she an asset to the BRF.

If she decides to be like Sophie Wessex, essentially a full time, stay-at-home mum until the kids went to school and then step up her public engagements while still putting her children first, then I say good on her. There are millions of women who would love to be in her shoes and be able to afford to do this. And, that superior education of hers will not be wasted on her children's upbringing. Even HM was allowed this privilege until the untimely death of her father . . . and she was his heir. William would have to lose both his Granny and his Pa before he would be in that position.

Personally I hope she does follow Sophie and get the chance to enjoy her husband and family before she is pulled into the more intense part of the requirements of the BRF. We will get better future Kings and Queens and so there really are no losers.

But I reserve the right to comment on her fashion, or lack thereof, at official engagements whilst fully supporting her should she decide to wear jeans and sweats when "not on duty".

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family