The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Majesty

I agree, Catherine did what she wanted to do. She worked for her family business and now she's married into an old family "Firm", where she works for the Windsor's and for the people of the UK and Commonwealth. A job she will have for a very long time.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, Catherine did what she wanted to do. She worked for her family business and now she's married into an old family "Firm", where she works for the Windsor's and for the people of the UK and Commonwealth. A job she will have for a very long time.
Thank you. I feel very strongly about women having the opportunity in life to make their own choices and I take offense to those who wish to criticize those decisions. Unless Kate had opted for a life of crime then she shouldn't be a target for other women with a very narrow point of views.

Off my soapbox now.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And what's more, she 'beat out' many other women of her generation for the job that she got.

I had a fine and satisfying career in two different fields. But no one criticized me when I left to raise a family, and no one cheered me when I moved up through the ranks when it was difficult for a woman to do so. I never saw myself as a trailblazer for younger women- they had to fight their own battles regardless of how I fought mine. You do what you do in life, and if you're lucky, you love what you do.

And it's not as though Catherine wouldn't have made a fine success in some particular field if she hadn't met the love of her life in college.
A woman with education, brains, charm and character will likely do well in whatever endeavor she undertakes.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you. that is the best response. I agree 100%

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
And what's more, she 'beat out' many other women of her generation for the job that she got...
Excellent response!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
...I firmly believe that feminism is about enabling women to make choices and not imposing a specific path.
Well stated!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
...I think it's a form of bullying - "if you dont comply with my values, I will ridicule you in print".
I agree with your statement.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Educating women is never a waste. Even if "all" they do is raise children and volunteer.
Many people live long lives with many careers. She could decide to launch a career after her children are grown, lke the Duchess of Kent.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Educating women is never a waste. Even if "all" they do is raise children and volunteer.
Many people live long lives with many careers. She could decide to launch a career after her children are grown, lke the Duchess of Kent.
I don't think Kate being the queen can go off the grid like the Duchess of kent did. However, Kate's education will be put to use in the future as the BRF has a extensive art collection. Without the St. Andrews education, no one would know about Kate Middleton since she would have not met prince William.

I can't understand women criticizing other women. As a women myself , I chose to have a career but I have nothing but respect for women who stay at home and raise a family like my mom did. Women should have a choice.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

I can't understand women criticizing other women. As a women myself , I chose to have a career but I have nothing but respect for women who stay at home and raise a family like my mom did. Women should have a choice.
Well as my mother used to say "you can always count on a woman to try and bring another woman down".
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Majesty

I'm a guy but I always thought women stood up for other women and was happy that something good and positive was happening in their lives.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm a guy but I always thought women stood up for other women and was happy that something good and positive was happening in their lives.
Sadly, this tends not to be the case.

Women often fight for the rights of women en mass and will defend each other against men, but amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.

There's the "joke" - a group of guys will great each other with insults and not mean it, while a group of women will great each other with compliments and not mean it.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Majesty

That's terrible. I'm always proud to see another guy doing well. Whether it be him pursuing a career and succeeding, getting married and starting a family, traveling and exploring the world around him or whatever, I can't see myself knocking somebody's life when things are going good for them and they are happy. I may wish I had what he had or something but I can't spend my time on the computer putting someone down, spreading lies about them and just being cruel when that person haven't done anything wrong.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
...amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.
So true. You should hear what some of the women directors around my office say about each other behind closed doors. I think each one has said the other got where she is by sleeping with their boss. I have never heard another male director make such a comment about a peer.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Sadly, this tends not to be the case.

Women often fight for the rights of women en mass and will defend each other against men, but amongst ourselves we tend to be all about tearing each other down.

There's the "joke" - a group of guys will great each other with insults and not mean it, while a group of women will great each other with compliments and not mean it.
Unfortunately this is true. Some of the nastiest comments are between the stay-at-home-mothers and return-to-work-mothers.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Courtier

I haven't as yet read any real criticism of Kate ever deciding to be an at home mum (a huge an very important job IMO). I think the issue for some is that she did little whilst she was young (well, younger) unmarried and seemingly very able. I suspect it isn't what many of us would encourage our own daughters to do. Wait for a man the way Kate did. Or is it OK if it is such a man as a prince? Or a man of great fortune (heck, any fortune)?

The other contentious issue would be funding of lifestyle. Whilst she has not ever been reported of being a beneficiary of government assistance, she would, I think, have had to be dependent on someone else's income until she married. I don't imagine most part-time positions would afford her lifestyle. For many, at ages beyond the teenage stage, this is not seen as...well, decent. By that I mean, if one has a good education one has the responsibility to stop living off one's parents, or whomever. Perhaps that is not how she was raised and it is likely many are not likewise raised and find not actual issue with the way Kate lived. But I think a great many of us do and so we have the criticism you speak of. Although I understand some may be driven by jealousy, I don't accept all would be thus motivated (by jealousy). To many of us it is the common decency of making a contribution to self, family, community. Especially if one is give such great advantages and opportunities as Kate has had.

It is a lack of understanding for those who do not have the same mindset. I guess we may think those who do not seek to be independent and enabling themselves to start contribution ASAP as being selfish or lazy or both.

None of us wish any woman to forgo their freedom of choice, but we may disagree or criticize the choices made. Perhaps man are more likely to stay quiet in a social set, but certainly not in the political arena! In Kate's case, she is a public figure and many wish us to look up to her as a great example. This motivates many to make their opinions heard, especially so if they don't think her the ideal model they want to look up to (or even less so their children).

If you like Kate and don't find fault with her, that is fine and you should say it out loud but understand that those who do not can have their opinion stated too, and just as loudly. Now to have it all out in a cordial and respectful manner...that is the great challenge.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Majesty

I like that Catherine decided to go out on her own and work at Jigsaw and then Party Pieces. She did what she wanted to do and I think that's great.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Now that Kate is about to give birth, I don't think anyone (even me) would criticize her for being home to take care of her family. I am not highly concerned with the choices of other women after they have kids or even marry well enough not to have to work. It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.

Currently, she is where she wants to be and that is just fine. Everyone alludes that Kate is a high achiever...I hope she doesn't get bored continually waiting for William.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Nobility

Well, she doesn't have to wait for him anymore. I'm not sure why Kate's choices make you uneasy. She apparently didn't make the same choices you did, but I don't understand why that should bother you. Bottom line is that she did marry William, so who's to say the choices she made were bad or wrong?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.
Is there any sound basis for your suggestion that Kate worked for the family firm "in case she might fail" or, "conversely, really like being her own woman" was not on her agenda? Do you consider every body who works for a family business as one not wanting to leave the comfort zone or one afraid of failure?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Courtier

No one would ever say that about a man working for the family business
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
No one would ever say that about a man working for the family business
Of course they wouldn't, but in this case it gives women another chance to bash a woman for the choices she made in her own life.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family