The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Majesty

The media and others have treated the Middleton's very unfairly for some time. I think it's a sport to some of them.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Kate Middleton effect: Sales of Moses baskets increase after shopping trip with mum Carole Middleton - hellomagazine.com

Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Royal Highness

The vote was for which famous British mum would promote car seat safety best and it is no surprise that a royal would be better at promoting a safety issue than some of the other candidates on the list.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Majesty

RICHARD KAY: Kate will not wilt like Diana says mentor:
Duchess of Cambridge will not wilt like Diana says mentor | Mail Online

Very nice quotes from Lady Manning on HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. I have to agree, Catherine is doing a wonderful job in own right and I also think William is very confident that Catherine can handle her royal role.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton, Duchess Of Cambridge Dismissed As Britain's 'Queen Wag' By Feminist Author Joan Smith
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Majesty

I think some people like to vent all their daily life anger onto the Duchess of Cambridge for some reason. As if she was born to be everyone's punching bag.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

This woman completely misses the point of "feminism". What it did was enable women to have a choice, something that was lacking before.

What is was not supposed to be was individuals insisting that women follow a prescribed path. Joan Smith obviously has a view on what women should do with their lives and, in effect, is demanding that Catherine follow it or she is worthless.

This article is condescending rubbish.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

Exactly!!! Sad to say but there are some women who claim to be feminists, but who seem to require other women to follow their "vision" or risk criticism.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Alright, I was not going to say this but, I can truly say that both these women are extremely jealous of the Duchess. If the coin was flipped it would be a whole different story. Unfortunately their fairytale ending did not come, so what is left? Bashing others who have found happiness and found their Prince. So sad really, what a miserable life to live when you are a jealous, bitter person.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Nobility

Look at those two,hags and I do mean hags!

I rest my case
Old 05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

It isn't as simple as jealousy. There are women more attractive and more powerful than Catherine that she could have a go at.

Smith is trying to say that Catherine is letting us all down because she hasn't had a career etc etc. It is about Smith's prescribed role for all women that Catherine is not following.

I think it's a form of bullying - "if you dont comply with my values, I will ridicule you in print".

Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

LadyCatharine, you said what I was thinking but didnt say not wanting to face the firing squad. You are truly brave! :) And cepe you are right, it is a form of bullying. I mean really, who does she think she is? Her idea of what all women should be like or what makes a woman a woman is twisted. Maybe she can start a cult society or something where she can call the shots and play God. What a truly pitiful person she is. Poor dear.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again, we have here a monumental over-reaction to something someone said that doesn't matter one whit.

Then again, being one of those women in the '70s who broke the "glass ceiling," it does sometimes seem that my pain and the pains of others clawing for choice has been forgotten. So be it...

It may be that Kate isn't suited for anything other than what she has chosen. In that case, good for her. I wouldn't presume to waste my time pondering what she could do. It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.

This is amusing. Typically you of course. Catherine got a place in university because she earned it. You aren't provided to plan out your career in your chosen subject to get into university. Frankly if everyone had to do that nobody would get in because there aren't enough jobs for the graduates that come out of the UK educational system every year.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Again, we have here a monumental over-reaction to something someone said that doesn't matter one whit...
I too am one of those women - in my first interview, my future boss's comment prior to offering me the job was "I suppose there isn't any real reason why I can't employ a woman." And I went on to achieve a number of 1st's for women in my industry.

But that doesn't mean that I think badly of women who choose another path - your comment about "Kate not suited to anything other" is saying that if she didn't do as we did, she wasn't good enough to do it. You may not mean that but that is how it reads.

I firmly believe that feminism is about enabling women to make choices and not imposing a specific path.

EDIT: PS It is not overreaction to write a post - it is a response

Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am merely saying that Kate had a number of years to do something, but chose not to make her own mark. I'm not putting her down, I'm simply stating my belief that if you want to do something, you will do it. Marriage to William seems to have been (up to now) her only goal. She has reached that goal and need not be concerned about other people's perceptions of her.

I said "It may be that Kate isn't suited for anything other than what she has chosen. In that case, good for her." Your condensation of my statement ""Kate not suited to anything other" is inaccurate.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Nobility

If I remember it correctly she did have a few jobs. Problem was, one of these jobs was in the public sector and the press made life a bit hard for her. The other job was in her parents company and apparently that doesn't count. To me it seems really hard to get a job (while being in a relationship with someone from the BRF) that doesn't make you seems like you're benefitting from the BRF. A job that's good enough but doesn't put you in the spotlight.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge had a pretty good job at (Jigsaw) but she was hounded by the media on a regular bases and she then went on to work at her family business, Party Pieces. Catherine addressed her work in her engagement interview. She said:

"Well I think I know I've been working very hard for the family business, and sometimes those days are long days and you know I think if I know I'm working hard and I'm pulling my weight both work and playing hard at the same time, you know I think everyone who I work with can see I am there pulling my weight and that's really what matters to me."

No one can actually say that Catherine did nothing with her life but marry William. She may have not done what you may think she should've done but she did what she wanted to do with her life.

I think the criticism is totally unfair and unnecessary. I actually think the tabloids and their fodder is what caused a great deal of others to turn on Catherine.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
...It does sometimes make me sad that she took someone's place in uni who would have actually used the education.
Actually those of us who followed your generation are grateful that we have the opportunity to choose from a variety of careers.

What galls me is when a few women feel it is necessary to criticize those who do not follow their prescribed paths. I've been criticized myself by women of that generation for "wasting" my education/career by choosing to stay at home and raise my children. Perhaps in their eyes I should have forfeited university years too.

Kate like all women should have the freedom to choose their own course in life.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

I agree that too often the media chooses to ignore the fact that she did work after her university years and that their intrusion made it difficult for her to commute and work. Diana and Sarah were facing similar photo gauntlets when the press discovered that they were involved with the Queen's sons.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family