The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Don't need to read online for this, just read the newspapers, listen to shock jocks or question time in Parliament to notice how differently female pollies including our PM are treated/spoken about from the blokes.
The reason David Cameron hasn't apologised is because, if one takes the time to actually watch the interview he gave, he couches his statement by saying that he hadn't seen the whole lecture yet (he was on an official visit to India), but from the snippets he'd seen in the media (the same that we all saw at first), he felt she was wrong. He didn't have all the information and he admitted it when he made his comments.

I hope this demonstrates to everyone here once and for all that, given all the reader comments on the DM website's coverage of Will and Kate in Mustique last week which pretty much ripped them to shreds, and this week's many thousands of comments supporting Kate, singing her praises, protecting her against a perceived wrong, the comments section on the Daily Fail website is indicative of precisely NOTHING!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

I don't agree with this at all. If he takes the time to comment, it is no excuse that he does not have all the facts (and it's really in fact outrageous for a man in his position to do so) - he knows his commentary has great import. And if he knows he does not have all the facts, he really has no business getting involved in what has turned out to be a tabloid drama on Kate. In fact, once he gets involved, he adds to the tabloid drama on the Kate, and one would think this is not what he wants unless absolutely necessary.

If you take the time to comment, you take the time to apologize.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Has the Leader of The Opposition apologized? He had pretty much the same response as the PM. I doubt very much either leader will apologize publically, any more than any of the columnists and editors will apologize or for that matter any members of the public who responded in newspapers or other public forums.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

The reason David Cameron hasn't apologised is because, if one takes the time to actually watch the interview he gave, he couches his statement by saying that he hadn't seen the whole lecture yet (he was on an official visit to India), but from the snippets he'd seen in the media (the same that we all saw at first), he felt she was wrong. He didn't have all the information and he admitted it when he made his comments.
Thanks for sharing that he clarified he hadn't read the entire speech.

I think this whole issue of the PM is totally overrated. I agree that his comments were wrong but as he said he hadn't read the whole lecture yet. I see things like: The PM is in a trip to India, obviously he doesn't read all the british media while there, just the most important and a summary his assistants do to him. So, it's understandable he hadn't read the speech. In one of the ocasions, one of the journalist asked him about his thoughts about this issue and he answered that from what he read (ie, the press) he felt HM was wrong but he clarified he had not read the speech yet, which is to me the same as saying I can be wrong and change my ideas once I read the speech. So, he did nothing that bad, IMO.

Could he have apologize? Sure, even if just a small tweet. But he is still in India, he probably haven't read the speech yet. Maybe when he returns home.

Milliband on the other hand, is at home, could have read the speech perfectly.

In any case, I don't think they will apoligize at all. But I also don't think the PM comments are such a bid deal at all

EDIT: To me, the biggest problem is with the press, and they SHOULD apologize
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Royal Highness

My, I personally read the whole essay as being cruel to Catherine as well. Yes, she points out that it is a problem of public perception and yes, she shows she is one of the public herself, no more, no less. She has her own opinion about Royal women and that's alright with me, but I don't share her opinions and I find the way she describes her view on things as uncalled for for the "real" Catherine - even if I will never meet her and find out who she is.

You can rest assured that the PM has advisors who are educated enough to be able to read such an essay as well, evaluate it and brief the PM on it. As I share his views I have no problems with him coming to the defense of a Royal lady who according to her position has no way to defend herself. Ymmv.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Hilary is not a stupid person. I am sure she knew her remarks would be reported and could cause some controversy. In fact I rather think she rather enjoys being controversial. This is after all the woman who once said "no self respecting person would be a Roman Catholic today" which I am sure she knew would offend more than one person and would be a rather controversial comment.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=GracieGiraffe;1519669]I don't agree with this at all. If he takes the time to comment, it is no excuse that he does not have all the facts (and it's really in fact outrageous for a man in his position to do so) - he knows his commentary has great import. And if he knows he does not have all the facts, he really has no business getting involved in what has turned out to be a tabloid drama on Kate. In fact, once he gets involved, he adds to the tabloid drama on the Kate, and one would think this is not what he wants unless absolutely necessary.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

No matter how misinformed he was by press or staff, he still owes Mantel an apology, as does any other public figure who spoke about her, as does the press.

Simply because these others have not issued an apology does not put any of the others off the hook. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

I am guessing that these public figures EXPECT to be slandered at every turn. The journalist, the PM, Catherine, they all expect nasty things to be said. If they can keep human hearts within themselves in such situations, congratulations to their strength and humanity. Our hearts harden when slandered, so probably they have all taken courses in how to not take any of this even slightly seriously. We are the dupes who do so? I don't know. I have had to learn to have a hard outer shell while retaining a delicate heart for the purpose of love. But it took me many years to achieve that. The public figures are no doubt coached in how to get on top of it early on.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Nobility

I'm confused as to why Cameron should issue an apology. He stated his opinion in a respectful manner, and even attached a condition. Maybe he's read the entire speech and still feels the way he does (I know I do). If everyone had to issue an apology for stating they don't agree with something someone said, we'd all be running around apologizing or nodding "yes" so that we don't offend anyone by disagreeing with them.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Opinion: Author's rant on Catherine 'mean and cheap':
Opinion: Author's rant on Catherine 'mean and cheap' - CNN.com
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Her remarks guaranteed more publicity for her books, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hilary is not a stupid person. I am sure she knew her remarks would be reported and could cause some controversy. .
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Her remarks guaranteed more publicity for her books, definitely.
Sh really doesnt need more publicity for her books. See earlier threads, she is one of the leading authors in the UK.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator

The extended commentary on the Australian political scene, having no relation to the Duchess of Cambridge, has been removed.

Warren,
British Forums moderator
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Barbara Taylor Bradford: the Duchess of Cambridge can be a woman of substance: Hilary Mantel’s attack on Kate Middleton was mean and unjustified, says the best-selling novelist:
Barbara Taylor Bradford: the Duchess of Cambridge can be a woman of substance - Telegraph
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sh really doesnt need more publicity for her books. See earlier threads, she is one of the leading authors in the UK.
She made not need it but the extra publicity did increase her book sales last week so it was a win win deal for her.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Thats the outcome but I still don't think that was expected because I don't th ink this furore was expected. She did a lecture on 6th February at the British museum. I'm still surprised it made into the papers at all and it did take a fortnight to do so.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Courtier

It took all that time to get into the papers. Interesting how it ended up in the papers when Kate happened to be on engagement. Unnecessary of them to do that buy hey that's the media for you.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Who knows, maybe she sent a press release or a copy of her speach. She has courted controversy before.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently a journalist saw a video of the speech on YouTube , I read that in either the
Telegraph or the Mail. If she'd sent a press release, believe me, we would have known about.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family