The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There's a great deal that's been made up about her by people who just don't like her. Not everyone will like her and she can't please everybody but there's been a great deal of unfair criticism directed her way.
Makes me realize that no matter how well someone does, there are those that will seek and find and/or imagine something negative to say about it. One could find a cure for cancer and write an astounding thesis on the technicalities of the find and there'll be someone out there that'll notice that they used a comma instead of a period on page 2631, paragraph 4.

Such is life and for the most part, people like this deserve to be ignored as its their own failings that come across loud and clear.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Have you ever considered finding a subject to post about that you enjoy? Putting out some positive energy rather than constant negativity towards people you've never met?
I am afraid some posters can only make positive comments about the daughter of a minister in a brutal dictatorship. although she also seems to be quite a nice woman, other than her most others get trashed pretty regularly. Some people I guess just live in a dark and negative world.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Makes me realize that no matter how well someone does, there are those that will seek and find and/or imagine something negative to say about it. One could find a cure for cancer and write an astounding thesis on the technicalities of the find and there'll be someone out there that'll notice that they used a comma instead of a period on page 2631, paragraph 4.

Such is life and for the most part, people like this deserve to be ignored as its their own failings that come across loud and clear.
This is very true. Some people just can't win, because there are those who want to pick them apart for no reason aside from envy. I happen to work under a supervisor who is exactly like that, though I've yet to figure out why she's jealous of me; I'm a teacher, she's the principal, so in my eyes it doesn't make sense. As for Catherine, there will always be those among the general public and the press who will literally thrive on tearing her to pieces. I give the Duchess a lot of credit for just getting on with her life, and don't what is best for her and the family she has chosen to be a part of, and not give a fig about what some insignificant reporters from the Daily Rag, or posters on a forum have to say.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

And while we wait the latest desperate act to attack the Duchess has begun
Re-wear your wardrobe, Kate | TODAYonline
Hilary Mantel portrays Duchess as a 'shop window mannequin’ - Telegraph
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
A paper is attaching a Royal? This is unheard of! [/sarcasm]
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
LOL! But the gloves have really come off with regards to Kate, and just in the past three months or so, have they not? Whether justified or not is another matter entirely, and I'm sure that the opinions thereon run the gamut.

But why the change so swiftly and suddenly, and why has it seemed to coincide with the announcement of her pregnancy?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

LOL! But the gloves have really come off with regards to Kate, and just in the past three months or so, have they not? Whether justified or not is another matter entirely, and I'm sure that the opinions thereon run the gamut.

But why the change so swiftly and suddenly, and why has it seemed to coincide with the announcement of her pregnancy?
There's two things that I've noticed.

1. The topless/bottomless pictures really did her damage - more so than Harry. People are inherently sexist and seem to be okay with the playboy Prince getting naked in Vegas, but not with the other Prince's wife not wanting tan lines. There seems to be a lot about how she's a commoner and therefore inherently unfit to be the consort of the future king.

2. The Middletons, especially since the Olympics, have somehow garnered this reputation of being like the Woodvilles. They seem to be seen as upstarts who are looking to takeover the crown.

The way that papers have responded to the bikini pictures seems to not have helped either.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I didn't mean the paper I meant Vivienne Westwood and Hilary Mantel
Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I was reading this in the SMH a few minutes ago. What a nasty, mean-spirited piece of work Hillary Mantel is! I suppose that's one way to raise your profile and by extension her possible book sales.....no such thing as bad publicity it seems.

Not that I'm a cynic, I can't say as I've noticed her books in my local QBD bookshop.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't think it relates to her pregnancy as much as her absence.... Kate sells. If she isn't around, they will make stuff up, or report alternating sides of the same story to drag the story as long as possible. She is a little tarnished now, but will be shiny and bright once she starts appearing in public on a regular basis.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Serene Highness

Funny, as for the most part, people were pretty outraged those topless photos happened. Remember, they were on *Private* property and considering how far away from the road they were, had every expectation of just that. Privacy.

IMO, the only ones who got damaged by that entire mess was the Media. They did something that crossed the line *Big Time* and, then when William and Kate took legal action and rightfully so I might add, is when the attacks started to take place in earnest.

I mean...How dare they do this to the Media, so in turn, we'll just take our revenge out on them by tearing them down in the Papers/Radio and TV Stations. All we need to do is take an innocent statement, put it out of context in an article or state Kate/William said this, when actually that's not what they said at all, but hey...Who cares about the actual truth anymore!?! Especially if it means we get a bit of our own back for the nerve of them wanting to have a bit of privacy when not on duty?

What's been done to Harry the last few weeks is a perfect example of that. If anyone had actually seen the British Armed Forces doc Prince on a Mission, they'd see that all of the "whining" and so on we were all "told Harry had done and in turn, had disgraced himself and the uniform", didn't really take place. What had actually happened is Harry said a few things about the Media that they didn't like and they in turn twisted certain clips to make it seem that Captain Wales actually did come across as a spoilt little Prince.

It's up over at YouTube for those interested in seeing what Harry *actually* said BTW. Anyway....

Just like all of the fuss over the Bikini pics. Who is it that's actually screaming Bloody Murder and Foul in Public? Not Will and Kate, but the Press. All that's been said by the Cambridges is that they were deeply disappointed it happened and that was it and that was all. It's the Press that's turned it into something far worse.

Sadly in this age of instant news and everyone having such hectic busy lives, no one really has the time these day to sit down and see if what's being told to us by the Press/Media is the actual truthful story and facts or not. So in turn, most People believe exactly what they're being told these day and leaving it at that.

Which scares me, as that's not the kind of World I'd like to live in. :(

Now, I'd love to think I'm going to be reading some great informative articles tomorrow/later today about the great work Action on Addiction's doing and what exactly the Centre HRH is visiting does, but I know there'll only be a couple of snippets on that if we're lucky. Reality wise, it'll be all about what she's wearing, then how we haven't seen her since late November/early December and the vacation.

Sad and frustrating all rolled up into one.

Still looking forward to seeing Kate out and about again. I just wish the Media would grow up and act like the supposed adults they are w/the coverage, but... :(
Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

The way people react to every article and take it as the truth really makes me doubt people's intelligence. It's like those people who watch JFK and immediately forget its a movie not a documentary.
Btw whatever that article posted says I will not be reading and give that website hits.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter So two days running Britain's newspapers have featured prominent people criticising the Duchess of Cambridge. Is the honeymoon over?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Courtier

Amidst all the current bad publicity kate seems to be getting at the moment, here is one person standing up for her:

Video: Hilary Mantel's Kate Middleton character assassination 'incredibly unfair', says Emma Barnett - Telegraph
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter So two days running Britain's newspapers have featured prominent people criticising the Duchess of Cambridge. Is the honeymoon over?
Eh, I'd say it's a normal media cycle. The press needs to maintain a narrative on subjects that sell, and glowing praise gets old after awhile. From what I recall, the same thing has happened to every woman who has married into the modern Royal Family. Diana had her moment where she was portrayed as a vacuous shopaholic, and Fergie had her figure and dress sense criticized in really cruel ways. Sophie was set up and trapped into saying less than tactful things in an environment where she expected privacy, and then there was all the speculation that Edward was gay and she was covering for him.

I expected this for Kate- and I imagine she's tough enough to handle it. She got through all the mean-spirited "Waity Katy" press cycles too. The narrative will switch back when the press feel like giving her a redemptive arc. It won't be long.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Also, I just read the piece linked, and it didn't sound at all like a criticism of Kate as a person- more a criticism of how women in the royal system are viewed by the public through the lens of media and it was placed into historical perspective with information about other royal women.

She was criticizing the way the media portrays Kate and the way the public relates to that- not Kate herself. It's actually an interesting lecture, I'd love to hear it in its entirety.

This sounds like a slow news day kind of thing- plus the press love portraying the "cat fight" narrative where they pit two successful women against each other.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
I was reading this in the SMH a few minutes ago. What a nasty, mean-spirited piece of work Hillary Mantel is! I suppose that's one way to raise your profile and by extension her possible book sales.....no such thing as bad publicity it seems.

Not that I'm a cynic, I can't say as I've noticed her books in my local QBD bookshop.
Hilary Mantel doesn't need to sell more books or raise her profile (unless she is aiming to compete with EL James in the sales department). She is a critically acclaimed, two times Booker prize winning, bestselling author. There isn't anywhere to go up from there in terms of acclaim apart from the Nobel for Literature.

I'm not saying this necessarily makes her points about Kate valid, just that I doubt she made these comments for attention or media coverage, unlike when some so called celebrities diss or praise Kate. I suspect these are just her opinions and the topic came up when she was discussing her work, which deals with the study royalty.

I did think Hilary's comments regarding Kate versus Anne Boleyn had a grain of truth. From all we know of Anne, she was a brilliant, intelligent, charming, witty woman full of personality and passion. I think Hilary is right that Kate can't hold her a candle to Anne. From how Kate presents herself to the public, we can't see any charisma or wit, just polite manners on a pretty frame. I suppose it depends on how you like your women, and I must say I lean towards Hilary's opinions.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleineleigh View Post
Hilary Mantel doesn't need to sell more books or raise her profile (unless she is aiming to compete with EL James in the sales department). She is a critically acclaimed, two times Booker prize winning, bestselling author. There isn't anywhere to go up from there in terms of acclaim apart from the Nobel for Literature.

I'm not saying this necessarily makes her points about Kate valid, just that I doubt she made these comments for attention or media coverage, unlike when some so called celebrities diss or praise Kate. I suspect these are just her opinions and the topic came up when she was discussing her work, which deals with the study royalty.

I did think Hilary's comments regarding Kate versus Anne Boleyn had a grain of truth. From all we know of Anne, she was a brilliant, intelligent, charming, witty woman full of personality and passion. I think Hilary is right that Kate can't hold her a candle to Anne. From how Kate presents herself to the public, we can't see any charisma or wit, just polite manners on a pretty frame. I suppose it depends on how you like your women, and I must say I lean towards Hilary's opinions.
This actually has me very interested in reading her books- I think I'll stop by the library tomorrow and get the first one.

Ms. Mantel's perspective on royal history sounds really, really fascinating. It's a bit sad that her words are being deliberately misconstrued.

Here is the link to the full piece should anyone want to read it without the editorial input of the various royal reporters: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n04/hilary-mantel/royal-bodies
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:

It's not like there haven't been other articles criticizing Kate. It's the natural ebb and flow of the media. They build you up to tear you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Also, I just read the piece linked, and it didn't sound at all like a criticism of Kate as a person- more a criticism of how women in the royal system are viewed by the public through the lens of media and it was placed into historical perspective with information about other royal women.

She was criticizing the way the media portrays Kate and the way the public relates to that- not Kate herself. It's actually an interesting lecture, I'd love to hear it in its entirety.

This sounds like a slow news day kind of thing- plus the press love portraying the "cat fight" narrative where they pit two successful women against each other.
Yep. I just read the whole thing and it sounds like she's criticizing the way the media portrays and objectifies royals - particularly female ones. She also talks a bit about the Queen, Diana, PC and Harry. At the end of the article, she basically asks the media and public to back off Kate.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Majesty

The Hilary Mantel story: I think it's mainly down to people who think they everybody firgured out.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family