General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything to these criticisms of her lack of work ethic? It would seem to me that as a new member of the royal family, a junior member at that, and being a new mum would be the main reasons that she's not doing as many engagements? Who assigns the work, and how much say does Kate have in what she does? Is she being given special treatment by HM and the palace because of her popularity? Some of the critics were saying that she's already had several years of "experience" since her engagement, therefore the excuse that she's adjusting to royal life does not stand. Wondering what you all thought? I don't live in the UK so I am not privy to what the papers there say, and the US press tends to be very favorable to her.

Personally, I've continually held the opinion that Catherine and William are lazy when it comes to royal work and have done their very best to pursue their dream of "normality".
Opponents to my opinion usually say, they're not heirs, there's no "need" for them and they can be as normal as possible until The Queen passes away.

My problem is, their figures in the BRF, they're major figures on the world stage and they are senior royals and the do very little to capitalise on it. People want to see them, they are popular and they can do wonders for the royal family's image but they don't. I also feel like they both have no excuse, William yes was in the RAF and he trained and being in the military is royal tradition but I feel he good have done more during his time. Catherine IMO has no excuse, other than when she was ill with morning sickness and the last month of her pregnancy she could have done a lot more. Easing in, okay few months I'll agree with 2 years? No way. Even now, William and Catherine are "increasing their profile and engagements" but increasing to one every 2 weeks maybe? Neither have an excuse, yes they have a young child but so do millions of full time mothers who literally have to work 40 hours a week to provide for that child.

To answer your questions specifically;

1, Royals are always asked to do engagements, on behalf of patronages, charities, openings, visits etc, I always have this image of The Queen dishing out the weeks engagements over Sunday dinner and them having a family argument. That's besides the point, I imagine when royals represent the Queen specifically like investitures or on behalf etc The Queen could pick and choose the royal to suit the occasion.

2, It all comes down to The Queen in general, if Catherine was needed the Queen would ask or dish out whichever way they do it.

The papers are positive when we see William and Catherine, mainly it's fashion news or Diana related with papers like Daily Mail or The Sun they rarely do focus on the engagement itself unless it's person related (visiting a hospital, personal connection etc). When William finished the RAF tabloids started to use the phrase "gap year" to describe what he was doing. Transitional year was also bounced around. I follow a lot of reporters on twitter and William and Catherine's diaries seem to be a hot topic simply because we get to know about engagements with very short notice.

A lot of people just want to see more of them I believe.

Catherine and William both have their own duties, roles and responsibilities thread where can you read through what posters think and how it's altered.

1, Royals are always asked to do engagements, on behalf of patronages, charities, openings, visits etc, I always have this image of The Queen dishing out the weeks engagements over Sunday dinner and them having a family argument. That's besides the point, I imagine when royals represent the Queen specifically like investitures or on behalf etc The Queen could pick and choose the royal to suit the occasion.

2, It all comes down to The Queen in general, if Catherine was needed the Queen would ask or dish out whichever way they do it.

And there we have it. Very well stated and very well explained. MUCH better than I ever could.

I had to chuckle over the image of the Queen dishing out duties and engagements over the mashed potatoes. It does actually happen that way with the Queen approving and giving assent to any engagement that represents Her. A food fight with the mashed potatoes is something we'd most likely never hear about but so much fun to imagine!

IMHO the senior royals within the BRF have a great deal of influence over who does what and when within the family as a whole.
I believe that HM and the DoE prefer to have their own children and HM's cousins in the forefront during HM's reign. I see signals that this will change when her reign comes to an end. At this point in time, the Windsors do have a larger group of family members acting on behalf of the Queen when compared to other European royal families. They are the patrons of hundreds of charities, military regiments and undertake many engagements on her behalf. The grandchildren are not being called up to the full time positions yet. Now as HM and the DoE begin to back off on their engagements due to health or age concerns, then we'll likely see the Cambridges and Prince Harry being moved into a full time role.
Also unique to the Windsors was for a time in the late nineties they were experiencing a downturn in their popularity. There were published opinion polls where members of the public believed that William should succeed his grandmother over his father. Thankfully the PoW "rehabilitation" appears to have been a success and apparently more of the public believe that he should succeed his mother. Having the PoW and Camilla take on more public duties has been key to helping to reshape their image even if it meant his children were to take a part time role.

It is a unique situation having a monarch and two adult waiting to succeed. This hasn't been seen in the UK since Victoria was on the throne. IMHO there are many facets to the decision making process within the family.

Personally, I've continually held the opinion that Catherine and William are lazy when it comes to royal work and have done their very best to pursue their dream of "normality".
Opponents to my opinion usually say, they're not heirs, there's no "need" for them and they can be as normal as possible until The Queen passes away.

My problem is, their figures in the BRF, they're major figures on the world stage and they are senior royals and the do very little to capitalise on it. People want to see them, they are popular and they can do wonders for the royal family's image but they don't. I also feel like they both have no excuse, William yes was in the RAF and he trained and being in the military is royal tradition but I feel he good have done more during his time. Catherine IMO has no excuse, other than when she was ill with morning sickness and the last month of her pregnancy she could have done a lot more. Easing in, okay few months I'll agree with 2 years? No way. Even now, William and Catherine are "increasing their profile and engagements" but increasing to one every 2 weeks maybe? Neither have an excuse, yes they have a young child but so do millions of full time mothers who literally have to work 40 hours a week to provide for that child.

I can't find it right now but there was a period after William's birth that Charles and Diana didn't have many public engagements. IIRC, Charles had about 120 and Diana about 70. The articles at the time alleged that Anne was irritated by their "laziness."

I think there are several reasons that William and Catherine haven't been more visible. One is certainly that they have chosen not to be more active. Another is that William has a demanding job and Charles didn't do that many engagements when he was an active military officer.

Finally, William--with the Queen's and Charles' approval--is obviously considering how the monarchy should function when he is king. I do see him continuing the trend towards a downsized monarchy.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I suppose what I was most wondering about was the thinking behind the way work is assigned or scheduled. How much input a particular royal has in what they do.

I do wonder if there is a bit of theater involved, if there is a deliberate decision to keep William and Kate from overexposure, seeing as how much good publicity is generated each time they're out? And I'm assuming there is probably behind-the-scenes work where no photographs are taken, too. I could see thinking that the public is so thirsty to see anything with these two, that by deliberately holding them back they create a demand?

Or are they being held back because they're still junior in the scheme of things? I expect of course that things will begin to step up much more in the coming years as the Queen slows down.

I just feel the idea that Will & Kate being called lazy a bit distasteful. I don't know if I want to ascribe those qualities to someone we don't know anything about, and we certainly do not know how things are behind the Palace walls. It gives an air of seeing William as a reluctant royal, whereas maybe I am more sympathetic to his wanting a quieter and more private life during the early years of his marriage and fatherhood, a result of his mother's experiences.

He is so protective of Kate, and remembering how unhappy his mother was the way she was thrown to the media wolves with no instruction or protection, maybe he is using his influence with the Queen to keep them away from the spotlight for now. I am sure he is cognizant of the fact that this is not a situation that he can keep forever, especially after his father becomes King. Maybe they're keeping quiet now as much as they can for as long as they can, and have HM's blessing to do so? I

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input!

I suppose what I was most wondering about was the thinking behind the way work is assigned or scheduled. How much input a particular royal has in what they do.

I do wonder if there is a bit of theater involved, if there is a deliberate decision to keep William and Kate from overexposure, seeing as how much good publicity is generated each time they're out? And I'm assuming there is probably behind-the-scenes work where no photographs are taken, too. I could see thinking that the public is so thirsty to see anything with these two, that by deliberately holding them back they create a demand?

Or are they being held back because they're still junior in the scheme of things? I expect of course that things will begin to step up much more in the coming years as the Queen slows down.

I just feel the idea that Will & Kate being called lazy a bit distasteful. I don't know if I want to ascribe those qualities to someone we don't know anything about, and we certainly do not know how things are behind the Palace walls. It gives an air of seeing William as a reluctant royal, whereas maybe I am more sympathetic to his wanting a quieter and more private life during the early years of his marriage and fatherhood, a result of his mother's experiences.

He is so protective of Kate, and remembering how unhappy his mother was the way she was thrown to the media wolves with no instruction or protection, maybe he is using his influence with the Queen to keep them away from the spotlight for now. I am sure he is cognizant of the fact that this is not a situation that he can keep forever, especially after his father becomes King. Maybe they're keeping quiet now as much as they can for as long as they can, and have HM's blessing to do so? I

I think people determine how active W&K are based on the number of appearances. We have no idea what they do when they are not shopping or their appearances.

I am very much in favor of mothers or fathers staying home with their children for the first few years versus the first few months. Though I will not criticize parents who choose or have to work.

But, it all boils down to each persons expectations of what W&K should be doing. There isn't a template for what a member of the royal family should be doing. W&K are not getting money from the civil list (is that the correct term) so I don't see what the big deal is about what they are or are not doing. I would love to not have to work or worry about money, lucky for them they don't have to. I won't envy them as I love the life I have.

There isn't a template for what a member of the royal family should be doing.

Yes, that's the key there, isn't it? The critics are basing their complaints on an arbitrary basis, and informed by their personal feelings about W&K (and Kate especiallly), usually negative.

Thanks everyone for your input. I honestly think the critics come off a bit childish, as if they're owed something by W&K. I am ok with letting them live their lives, we have many years ahead to see them more and step up their work.

Good to come here to talk about it as opposed to the shrillness and immaturity of some of the other forums I've come across! :lol:

Welcome Andrea and I hope that you enjoy your discussions here at TRF.

IMHO the senior royals within the BRF have a great deal of influence over who does what and when within the family as a whole.
Also unique to the Windsors was for a time in the late nineties they were experiencing a downturn in their popularity. There were published opinion polls where members of the public believed that William should succeed his grandmother over his father. Thankfully the PoW "rehabilitation" appears to have been a success and apparently more of the public believe that he should succeed his mother. Having the PoW and Camilla take on more public duties has been key to helping to reshape their image even if it meant his children were to take a part time role.

It is a unique situation having a monarch and two adult waiting to succeed. This hasn't been seen in the UK since Victoria was on the throne. IMHO there are many facets to the decision making process within the family.

I also think that there is a conscious attempt from William to appear as the Second in line to the throne. Prince Charles has come a long way since the nineties. The Queen in not getting younger and people need to be comfortable with Charles as the next monarch. I think the royal family does not want the debate of William Vs Charles, and thus William is given (rightfully) the role of second in line to the throne. They are making it clear that there is no rush to prepare William for the throne because he is NOT next in line to the throne.

All of the Queens grandchildren are not as involved as her children.
Besides if the Queen demanded her grandchildren do more, they would. As William said "what she says goes" or something along those lines

From what I understand, Catherine's diary will really start filling up within the new year. I'm guessing that the Cambridge's will really step up their game next year. We've already seen William step up with carrying out Investitures on behalf of The Queen. He's also participated in the State Visit the other day.

I agree, they should be doing more and I'm hoping we will start seeing them participate in more in the "Firm."

Last edited:
But, you know what will happen when they do more engagements is that people will be like oh they're overshadowing the queen, prince charles, etc...blah blah blah...(they can't win no matter what they do)

I keep seeing people describing William as a full time royal...its been made clear that he is not that...yet...when the announcement of his plans were made it said he would step up his duties and that it would be a transition year..I would expect a formal announcement of becoming a full-time royal in Sept. 2014.

Mary@outtokillyou 19 Nov
My colleague saw Kate Middleton in a Bucklebury pub the other day. Everyone spots her out and about apart from me! Always the bridesmaid

Any gripes from the media about royal appearances by William and Catherine are just sour grapes.
The media knows they will sell more magazines with stories and pictures about the couple. So if they limit their engagements, the media has fewer stories and pictures. So like all their stories claiming an upcoming royal engagement, the media hopes that stories on the lazy royals will spur the palace to sending them out more.

Then the media can write stories about George being raised by nannies.

People especially the press will always find something to belittle and mock, it appears to be one of their favorite pastimes

If a member of the Royal family is seen out and about constantly and they bother to acknowledge those with camera's they are accused of "courting the media" or trying to boost their individual popularity at the cost of some other member of RF.

And of course if there is no gossip floating around, certain sections of the press stir up a hornets nest by insinuating things and spreading lies then sit back and wait until some reporter makes an aside to one of the minor royals or member of the royal household staff and lo and behold it's headline news.

They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't

Lee27:
Then the media can write stories about George being raised by nannies.

Your comment sure got a big chuckle out of me, how very true. I feel somewhat sorry for W/C and baby because regardless of what they do or don't do, they will be crucified in the press and by the haters of the world. So glad that I am not in her shoes because I would not be able to keep telling the media to go f themselves and leave me alone.

But, you know what will happen when they do more engagements is that people will be like oh they're overshadowing the queen, prince charles, etc...blah blah blah...(they can't win no matter what they do)

I keep seeing people describing William as a full time royal...its been made clear that he is not that...yet...when the announcement of his plans were made it said he would step up his duties and that it would be a transition year..I would expect a formal announcement of becoming a full-time royal in Sept. 2014.

I agree. He is undergoing a transition to becoming a full time royal and has now stepped in to represent the Queen at investitures. Three full time members of the BRF , Phillip, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra have had serious health concerns in 2013 along with Kate having a baby. The family can decide to scale back the activities of some aging member of the family and incorporate its younger members into their roles. During the next month the BRF can now plan for future trips and engagements then have them scheduled on the royal "master calendar."

I truly expect that the Cambridges and eventually Harry will be transitioned into the full time royal list in the very near future.

I also think that there is a conscious attempt from William to appear as the Second in line to the throne. Prince Charles has come a long way since the nineties. The Queen in not getting younger and people need to be comfortable with Charles as the next monarch. I think the royal family does not want the debate of William Vs Charles, and thus William is given (rightfully) the role of second in line to the throne. They are making it clear that there is no rush to prepare William for the throne because he is NOT next in line to the throne.

All of the Queens grandchildren are not as involved as her children.
Besides if the Queen demanded her grandchildren do more, they would. As William said "what she says goes" or something along those lines
I wholeheartedly agree. HM and the DoE still "call the shots."

I agree. He is undergoing a transition to becoming a full time royal and has now stepped in to represent the Queen at investitures. Three full time members of the BRF , Phillip, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra have had serious health concerns in 2013 along with Kate having a baby. The family can decide to scale back the activities of some aging member of the family and incorporate its younger members into their roles. During the next month the BRF can now plan for future trips and engagements then have them scheduled on the royal "master calendar.

I truly expect that the Cambridges and eventually Harry will be transitioned into the full time royal list in the very near future.

Forgot to add that unlike most European royal families, there are many more full time royals carrying out engagement on HM's behalf to be considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Queen is trying to give William and Catherine something she did not have - time to just be a mom and raise her children.

There are plenty of royals available to open this or that or appear here or there --- but like with Diana, everyone want the star(s).

I wholeheartedly agree. HM and the DoE still "call the shots."

I think we all tend to forget this when we make comments about them being lazy or what we think they should be doing. Granted, those are opinions, but we still need to keep this in mind.

I think we all tend to forget this when we make comments about them being lazy or what we think they should be doing. Granted, those are opinions, but we still need to keep this in mind.
Agree. William is an adult heir-to-the-heir so it isn't surprising that his grandparent prefer to have their own children acting on their behalf.

Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN 1h
Duchess of Cambridge spending her 32nd birthday tomorrow 'privately' (palace)

32 facts about the Duchess of Cambridge

Today is the 32nd birthday of Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. To mark the occasion, we have compiled 32 facts about the woman who will one day be our Queen.

32 facts about the Duchess of Cambridge | Royal Central

Kate Middleton enjoys retail therapy in London ahead of her 32nd birthday

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ton-shopping-peter-jones-london-january-2014/

Kate Middleton quiz

http://int2.hellomagazine.com/quizzes/royalty-and-statesmen/219-kate-middleton/#

The Duchess of Cambridge dismisses her 31 years with a day of shopping with her mother

http://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_inglesa/2014010969072/kate-middleton-cumple-32-anos/

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra.../2014010969072/kate-middleton-cumple-32-anos/

Congratulations to Duchess Catherine

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/england/tillykke-til-hertuginde-catherine-0

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra...d/tillykke-til-hertuginde-catherine-0&act=url

Congratulations Kate - will be 32 years old today!

http://svenskdam.se/2014/01/grattis-kate-fyller-32-ar-idag/

https://translate.google.com.tr/tra...14/01/grattis-kate-fyller-32-ar-idag/&act=url

A royal heir, an intimate christening and THAT volleyball game: It's been her most momentous year yet - so how will Kate celebrate her 32nd birthday?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...entous-year-Kate-celebrate-32nd-birthday.html

Last edited:
Westminster Abbey ‏@wabbey 1h
Abbey bells ring out to mark the Birthday of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

Happy 32nd Birthday to Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge!!!

Westminster Abbey ‏@wabbey 1h
Abbey bells ring out to mark the Birthday of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

Happy 32nd Birthday to Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge!!!
Goodness! Is it usual to ring the Abbey bells for birthdays of Royal spouses?

Goodness! Is it usual to ring the Abbey bells for birthdays of Royal spouses?

No, churches usually do these things for members of the royal family in the UK. I think bells are rung in one of the churches on the royal estates on certain members of the royal family birthday's.

I see William made it home just in time for Catherine's birthday too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom