The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felica View Post
Which is why it would have been sensible to adopt the continental custom and make her Princess Catherine.I suspect that had there not been the 'issue' with Camilla being Duchess rather than princess then it might have been.
From my understanding there never was an "issue" with Camilla's style of Duchess of Cornwall over Princess of Wales. She actually does hold both titles from her husband but chose rather to be styled as Duchess of Cornwall (which is actually Charles' older title) than Princess of Wales out of respect for the late Diana.

It has always been British tradition that wives take their titles and styles from their husbands. If William had not been created the Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day, Kate would be Princess William of Wales.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Courtier

I saw Princess Kate used in the news that scrolls on the bottom of the newscast here in the US.

Using Kate Middleton is annoying and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge isn't correct since it is style of a divorced person.

She is a Princess of the UK since she married a Prince of UK, but she's Princess William which isn't very flattering. British princes historically get a royal dukedom upon marriage which becomes the title they use.

When William becomes King, he would be addressed as His Majesty The King and Catherine would be Her Majesty The Queen. If William dies before her, then she is HM Queen Catherine with their first child as the new monarch.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Referring to Catherine as the Duchess of Cambridge also makes things a lot easier re: the in Laws. Imagine if Catherine had wanted to be referred to as princess. Regardless of whether the Duchess of Cornwall cared or not, the press would be constantly writing about "only a Duchess" this and "her daughter in law who is a Princess," etc. I think this was generous and canny on the part of all involved - to find "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge" just right, for now.

I just think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a lot of common sense, courtesy and sensitivity toward others. It is refreshing!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The only person of course was never referred to by their maiden name was Diana.
Yes, but she was often also still referred to as "Lady Di" even when she'd been married for years.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I just think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a lot of common sense, courtesy and sensitivity toward others. It is refreshing!
Personally, I liked the story that came out recently where Kate was shopping for a wet suit, forgot her credit card or such and the store clerk didn't recognize her. When asked what her name was, she replied "Mrs. Cambridge".
Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Gentry

Surely this is why the word "née" exists? "The Duchess of Cambridge, née Catherine Middleton, wore a dress today and it sold out in two hours." Proper titles are observed, but her name is clarified for non-royal followers who don't realize that she is not in fact Princess Kate.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't it just HRH --name--,duchess of ------ or HRH princess -----, duchess of ----- where it applies?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Isn't it just HRH --name--,duchess of ------ or HRH princess -----, duchess of ----- where it applies?
Although Kate is Princess William, the correct form of address would be HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24
No. To use a certain red-haired lady as an example ...
She started life as Miss Sarah Ferguson.
She became engaged to HRH The Prince Andrew who was created Duke of York on the morning of the wedding.
Thus in her married state our lady was styled HRH The Duchess of York (note no christian name.)
Following the dissolution of the marriage the married style was withdrawn and replaced by Sarah, Duchess of York.
So the former Miss Middleton as the wife of a Royal Duke is correctly styled HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. No christian name.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Nobility

I have this Annonying ad shopping from Macy's plastered on the reading posts.
How do I delete them?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Commoner

The 'issue' with Camilla-and in my view an error- is as you say that she IS princess of wales- and once they bit the bullet and got married should have been known as such .then no need for William and Kate to be lumbered with such an ungainly title.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

She is a Princess of the UK since she married a Prince of UK, but she's Princess William which isn't very flattering. British princes historically get a royal dukedom upon marriage which becomes the title they use.
Catherine is not a Princess of the United Kingdom,she's a Princess by marriage,infact she's not even a Princess in her own right.

British princess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felica
then no need for William and Kate to be lumbered with such an ungainly title.
Um, creating senior British princes Royal Dukes no later than their wedding day is a long established tradition. The only exception I can think of is Prince Edward who was created a Royal Earl on his wedding day coupled with the indication he would receive a dukedom in the fullness of time.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I never really called her Kate Middleton. I always refer to her as Catherine. Now that she's married to William, I still say Catherine or The Duchess of Cambridge. When referring to them both, I'll say Their Royal Highnesses, The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, William & Catherine or The Cambridges.

Although Diana never really liked people to call her Princess Diana. I read that her friends would say that she used to correct those who called her that. I don't think Catherine mind though. She just received a gift (necklace) that say...Princess Kate in the Solomon Islands.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter what though people will call her Princess Kate or Princess Catherine, especially when she becomes HRH The Princess of Wales.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
I have this Annonying ad shopping from Macy's plastered on the reading posts.
How do I delete them?
I hit the MUTE button on my PC - and that way, most of the time, am oblivious to the ads,
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Gentry

Perhaps some of the readers aren't very good at following the ball and might be scratching their heads about who the Duchess of Cambridge is.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
Perhaps some of the readers aren't very good at following the ball and might be scratching their heads about who the Duchess of Cambridge is.
I have to admit that until I joined TRF I wouldn't have had a clue of what the proper titles were or that there was even a difference between title and style and I would have assumed that after marrying a prince, Kate would be Princess Kate to his Prince William. I think too that with there being a Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge, it would be so very easy for the general population to get them confused.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Talking about confusion, when Charles becomes King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically but he has to be named Prince of Wales by his father. It will be interesting to see how long he takes to do so since Charles held that title for most of his life.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Talking about confusion, when Charles becomes King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically but he has to be named Prince of Wales by his father. It will be interesting to see how long he takes to do so since Charles held that title for most of his life.
You make a good point here. The more I think about it, the logical train of thought is that Charles' reign will not be an overly long one. It may very well be possible that they will opt out of creating William the Prince of Wales and leave that be for William (when he becomes King) to create his first born as the Prince or Princess of Wales (depending on equal primogeniture passing into effect) therefore setting a new precedent for that title and role.

Charles definitely did not take the title Prince of Wales lightly and has by far given honor and service above and beyond what was expected of him. I think in the future it will not be just a title that is given by right of birth but also a role to grow into as a means of the heir apparent to prepare for the role as monarch. As the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, I can see William stepping in and overseeing the Prince's Trust and stepping into his father's footsteps but I do think they just might wait for the next generation to create another Prince of Wales.

Just my off the wall thoughts.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family