General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her remarks guaranteed more publicity for her books, definitely.

Sh really doesnt need more publicity for her books. See earlier threads, she is one of the leading authors in the UK.

The extended commentary on the Australian political scene, having no relation to the Duchess of Cambridge, has been removed.

Warren,
British Forums moderator

Sh really doesnt need more publicity for her books. See earlier threads, she is one of the leading authors in the UK.
She made not need it but the extra publicity did increase her book sales last week so it was a win win deal for her.

Thats the outcome but I still don't think that was expected because I don't th ink this furore was expected. She did a lecture on 6th February at the British museum. I'm still surprised it made into the papers at all and it did take a fortnight to do so.

It took all that time to get into the papers. Interesting how it ended up in the papers when Kate happened to be on engagement. Unnecessary of them to do that buy hey that's the media for you. :whistling:

Who knows, maybe she sent a press release or a copy of her speach. She has courted controversy before.

Apparently a journalist saw a video of the speech on YouTube , I read that in either the
Telegraph or the Mail. If she'd sent a press release, believe me, we would have known about.

The article is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Hilary Mantel has spoken out about her comments. She says that she has nothing to apologize for because the press took her words out of context.

"My lecture and the subsequent essay was actually supportive of the Royal Family and when I used those words about the Duchess of Cambridge, I was describing the perception of her which has been set up in the tabloid press," she told host Anne McElvoy.

"My speech ended with a plea to the press and to the media in general. I said 'back off and don't be brutes. Don't do to this young woman what you did to Diana'.

"My whole theme was the way we maltreat royal persons, making them one superhuman, and yet less than human."

"I do think that the Duchess of Cambridge is an intelligent young woman, who if she cares to read my essay will see that I meant nothing but good to her."

Mantel cries wolf over Duchess row

Hilary Mantel has spoken out about her comments. She says that she has nothing to apologize for because the press took her words out of context.

I always thought the press took her comments wrong although I also wondered if that was on purpose as she was criticizing them especially after I actually read her comments. I was especially annoyed because David Cameron condemned her without actually reading them properly.

Exactly as I thought. And the headline on that article is pretty awful too. That's not what "Crying wolf" means.

And I agree that the press may have intentionally taken her words out of context because of the criticism of their work.

I do agree the media and royal watchers are very hard on the royals, especially the British royals.

I think HRH The Duchess of Cambridge is doing a good job as the wife and supporter to The Duke of Cambridge and The Queen and "Firm." She support great causes and carry out her official engagements with grace and dignity. But I do think it's important to remember she's human and have flaws. It's dangerous to build her up as a perfect human being, with the perfect wardrobe and with the perfect marriage.

I saw the media build up Diana & Sarah in that way.

I do agree the media and royal watchers are very hard on the royals, especially the British royals.

I think HRH The Duchess of Cambridge is doing a good job as the wife and supporter to The Duke of Cambridge and The Queen and "Firm." She support great causes and carry out her official engagements with grace and dignity. But I do think it's important to remember she's human and have flaws. It's dangerous to build her up as a perfect human being, with the perfect wardrobe and with the perfect marriage.

I saw the media build up Diana & Sarah in that way.

Oh, certainly. The tabloid press LOVES to put these women on pedestals and then viciously rip them down, only to repeat the cycle.

I just think everyone (including the media) have to give Catherine enough room to grow as a senior member of the royal family. Also realise she's not perfect, she won't always wear the perfect outfit, have the perfect hairstyle, give the perfect speech, etc.

Last edited:
Kate Middleton: BBC Radio 4's Sandi Toksvig hits out at Duchess for being 'very Jane Austen' | Mail Online

A BBC Radio 4 presenter today hit out at the Duchess of Cambridge for not holding ‘a single opinion’.
Sandi Toksvig, 54, who hosts The News Quiz panel show, compared Kate to the society chronicled by 19th century author Jane Austen, when women were known only for the identity of their husbands.
The mother of three said: ‘Kate Middleton is not enough for me. We used to admire women who got their place in life through marriage and having children, but I like to think we've grown up a bit.’

The 5ft lesbian comic compared Kate to Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole, 29, whom she described as ‘one of the few incredibly famous people who still seems to say what they think’, adding: ‘I do fancy her quite a bit’.

:rolleyes: Yeah right.as soon as she gives an opinion on anything she will be torn apart by the media.

LaRae

Tostvig must have a new programme or book to promote.

Why pick on Catherine? No one knows the Queen's personal view on anything - never given an interview in her life. No one has criticised Sophie for not speaking out! etc etc.

The only one that does speak out is Charles and he gets blasted for interference or being political.

Tostvig must have a new programme or book to promote.

Wiki gives me nothing new for Toksvig. Why pick on Catherine? Because she is the royal who gets the most press attention. No one's going to touch The Queen, Charles in some circles is still just the fruit loop who talks to veg and nobody knows who Sophie is.

It's a bit ridiculous, though, that they're picking on Catherine for appearing to have no opinion on things. While we commend celebrities for speaking their mind (at least part of the time), the monarch is expected to appear neutral on all matters. This illusion is shattered when members of the monarchy - male or female - start speaking out about their opinions on things. Catherine is not being a Jane Austen lady by holding back her opinion, she is fitting into her role as a royal, regardless of gender.

No one accuses William of being without opinions when he fails to speak his mind. The people accusing Catherine of fitting into this anti-feminist position are in themselves being sexist because they're failing to look at the role that members of both genders take when they are royalty. Furthermore, they're also failing to look at the reaction Charles gets when he does reveal too much of his own thoughts. They're also not really considering what Catherine (or other royals) are choosing to say through the various organizations that they support. She may not be overly vocal, as to do so goes against her position, but we can make a lot of the type of person that she is and the kinds of things that she believes in by the various patronages that she gives.

Catherine is being picked on by the media because she can not respond to the comments/attacks.

No matter what the Duchess does, it will never be good enough for many in the media (and some here as well).

Some of the attacks may be due to her more common background or just the media's habit of attacking. They do so love to attack people.

It will get worse if Harry marries anyone who the media deems higher social class than Catherine.

I agree - the media (especially the press) are the biggest snobs re class in the UK. And what I find interesting is that there have been 2 articles allegedlly attacking Catherine (Mantel and Tostvig) and the usual "horrible" press are being supportive of Catherine. So it seems they reserve the sole right as media owners to pick on her.

I really don't understand the need to pick on Catherine. It's like the media and others like to vent all their daily anger and life frustration onto the Duchess of Cambridge. I find it very tacky and stupid.

Of course Catherine has opinions. They are known to those they concern. I bet William knows exactly what Catherine thinks about his career in the RAF - she is his wife, after all. So it's not Jane Austen-like, because back then women's opinions didn't matter to their husband if he was not interested for he held all the power and the wife was just another of a man's possession. What a ridiculous idea in today's age!

What this journalist misses is Catherine speaking in public about her opinions. IMHO actions speak louder than words and we know from her patronages and her support for them that there a quite some political issues where Catherine wants to make a difference. And she does. She just doesn't give interviews.

And why should she? They only serve the media at this point when she is still learning the ropes of her position. The are wished for because they sell papers and you could do endless follow-ups with all kind of statements from other public personalities, who critizes or correct or agree... But what's in it for Catherine? If she want to have an impact in society, she can always discuss things with the people who run charities which were selected by her because she is interested - no need to blabb to the papers.

And honestly: do we really think this journalists were interested in the opinions of one former Miss Middleton, if she hadn't met and married Prince William? If they look for women with "opinions", they could easily ask any woman they meet - but they don't do it... They want Catherine - for their own means...

I do agree to some extent on what Sandi has to say. Most of all the royals working in Europe have a clear passion. Kate doesn't have that. She's too harmless and doesn't work all that much.

Though I do realise she cannot speak her mind. The aftermath of those who do not agree is just too risky.
It's easy to pick on Kate, but the same could be said for William. Besides his RAF career, I don't really see (or know) what he is passionate about. Unlike Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom