The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

I think it would be really interesting to interview Kate Middleton because I think she has comported herself so well since she has been thrust in the limelight. I think she needs to eat more because she’s so thin.
this is what katie couric had 2 say about kate
but personally i think she has a very thin and athletic build

Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Serene Highness

Well I find it hard to believe that Catherine never showed any interest in William since the movies that came out about their romance made it seem just the opposite. Maybe I didnt catch on.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Well I find it hard to believe that Catherine never showed any interest in William since the movies that came out about their romance made it seem just the opposite. Maybe I didnt catch on.
As someone who's pretty close to Kate and William's age, I can vouch for the fact that William was a bit of a pin-up when he was in his teens. Certainly at my all girls school, he was one of the most mooned-over men in the world at that time.

I'm sure Kate will have found him attractive, and probably dreamt of one day meeting him and marrying him, but so did every girl in the country. There's a big difference between thinking the prince you've seen on TV and in newspapers is dreamy, and actually setting out to try and nab him, which is how some people have characterised Kate in her teenage years.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The way I understand it is that for the first year they were at St. Andrew's, they were part of a group of friends. IIRC, when Kate first met William, she was dating someone else and during that first year William dated other girls.

This is why I think they have such a solid foundations. Falling in love was a gradual thing that evolved from being close friends first.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Didn't she say something along the line that it was William's wishful thinking when she was questioned if she really had posters of William to swoon over as a teenager in her bedroom?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Keep in mind that movies are based on what the writers and directors want you to see. Especially when the main characters are not giving any assistance to the writers and directors.

I think Catherine is quite the opposite of me. Where I would be trying to impress PW to be noticed, she didn't. She followed her heart which eventually led her to PW.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Well, many royal reporters and the press have been trying to paint William & Catherine's early relationship as a royal fairytale that your kids would read in books. The whole poster on Catherine's wall, her staring at the poster and hoping to meet him and someday marry him is just pure fantasy. Catherine made sure she let everyone know that wasn't the case during the engagement interview. Both William & Catherine let us know that their relationship was a gradual process. They started out as friends and things took off from there.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn

Didn't she say something along the line that it was William's wishful thinking when she was questioned if she really had posters of William to swoon over as a teenager in her bedroom?
If she did say something like that, then I like her even more! Her self-confidence and sense of self-worth allowed her to see things in a realistic perspective. She saw her husband as a regular guy, and that was that. Well done yet again!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

50% of me thinks the poster story is true and 50% thinks it's not because Kate herself said it wasn't. I don't see what the big deal is if she did have a poster of him, all girls have crushes and the media was selling William as a teen idol for a few years. It would be hard for any girl living in the country to not fall for the hype, heck I like in Texas and I even got pulled in. A teenage crush doesn't equate to stalking a pursuing him as a young adult.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
A teenage crush doesn't equate to stalking a pursuing him as a young adult.
I think the first thing William would have thought if confronted with a teenage crush was "Run". He and his brother are probably the princes who have thought the most serious thoughts about "Whatever love means" and decided that what they need as a wife is anything but a starstruck young teenager like their mother had been one. I believe William and Catherine have been right in waiting till they went from Young Adults to adults in their realtionship - now they know what they are into.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's another reason I don't believe the stalker theory, both William and Harry appear to know they were built up as every girls fantasy and if either of them got that sense from a girl they were dating they would end it. I believe that by the time Kate went to high school her crush was gone as she saw William as just another guy, especially considering she dated someone for awhile even after she met William.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Majesty

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the idea of Catherine having a poster of William on her wall but Catherine herself put that rumor to rest herself in the engagement interview.

So I guess it comes down to, are you going to believe her or an old school friend and tabloids?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Aristocracy

Proper way to refer to Her Royal Highnesses...

Something has been driving me a little crazy ever since the wedding. Atleast least half if not all publications, tv stations... refer to HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge as Kate Middleton on a regular basis.

Personally, I can live with them calling her Kate... but am I the only one who wants to bang my head against the wall when they refer to her maiden name? She used to be Kate or Catherine Middleton... she is now a Royal Duchess and it irkes me that they do this. She is the future Queen!

The same happens for Camilla, but not nearly as much. Who else is bugged by this?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think this will continue until she is Queen Catherine. Camilla and Sophie both get called by their maiden names still, even after all their years of marriage. It is likely because everyone knew Camilla as Camilla Parker-Bowles for such a long time, that is is habit. The same could be said for Catherine.

I think we will have Kate Middleton, Camilla Parker-Bowles and Sophie Rhys-Jones for a long time. The only wives who do not get their maiden names are the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael, but that is probably because the press a) Do not know their maiden names or b) cannot spell or pronouce them.

It annoys me a lot too, as they technically no longer have a legal surname, but we will have to get used to it. Look at Sarah, she is always referred to as Sarah Ferguson of "Fergie", even after all this time. The only person of course was never referred to by their maiden name was Diana.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Funny I was just thinking yesterday how the news kept calling her Kate Middleton and how irritating it was. I was wishing when they married that instead of giving him a title the Queen had made Kate a Princess. My mind was that once he is King the title goes back to the crown and she will forever be a Queen. They will on one sad day be Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and eventually be Prince and Princess of Wales so why not being her to the style HRH Princess of United Kingdom.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

If she was created HRH and Princess of the UK by letters patent things might be a bit more difficult in taking those dignities away in the event of a divorce.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Something has been driving me a little crazy ever since the wedding. Atleast least half if not all publications, tv stations... refer to HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge as Kate Middleton on a regular basis.

Personally, I can live with them calling her Kate... but am I the only one who wants to bang my head against the wall when they refer to her maiden name? She used to be Kate or Catherine Middleton... she is now a Royal Duchess and it irkes me that they do this. She is the future Queen!

The same happens for Camilla, but not nearly as much. Who else is bugged by this?
Another example was the late Grace Kelly,even after her marriage and up until her tragic death she was often still referred to as Grace Kelly or 'Princess Grace Kelly',but I'm sure she didn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

before her marriage with William, i would write Kate when talking about her, but since their marriage i put a challenge upon myself to call/write Catherine instead of Kate.
ive gotten a bit used to it and when she becomes Queen, ill have no problem referring to her maiden name instead of her old nickname, because she will be Queen Catherine and nothing else.
and i doubt the media will call her Queen Kate by the way.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Part of the problem is that in the UK the wives of peers don't have a first name as part of their title. She isn't HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge but simply HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. As a result the press and public have to use a title not a name and many find that strange.

As soon as you put Catherine in the name she is divorced.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Commoner

Which is why it would have been sensible to adopt the continental custom and make her Princess Catherine.I suspect that had there not been the 'issue' with Camilla being Duchess rather than princess then it might have been.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family