The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

Kate came to the family with her own clothes too...and she's had a few years to get a wardrobe together, her family aren't paupers either. The media really annoy me. They are trying to make her into another Diana.

LaRae

Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter
Kate came to the family with her own clothes too...and she's had a few years to get a wardrobe together, her family aren't paupers either. The media really annoy me. They are trying to make her into another Diana.

LaRae
While they compare Diana and Catherine a lot, I don't think anyone wants another Diana and an article on expenditure has nothing to do with Di.

As for her clothes, I believe we have only seen a few (none I can personally remember) outfits from Catherine's pre engagement days, everything is brand new.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
While they compare Diana and Catherine a lot, I don't think anyone wants another Diana and an article on expenditure has nothing to do with Di.

As for her clothes, I believe we have only seen a few (none I can personally remember) outfits from Catherine's pre engagement days, everything is brand new.
They were not all from current collections and she even borrowed a dress from her mother. OTOH I had the feeling that she gave Pippa her Issa-dress and that Pippa had it recoloured, as the violettish red has been no current fashion colour but could well be achieved by recolouring a former blue dress.
So I have the feeling that Catherine spends cost-conciously and that's all that counts for me. Of course she is in a very different situation from most women, so I don't know what the papers seek to achieve on writing about this topic.

Maybe Catherine has already selected the dresses she will auction off to charity in 10 years time - and if so, would it be better then that she spends money on her dresses?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
"But Femail has delved more deeply into the Duchess of Cambridge’s wardrobe, and discovered that the ensembles she has worn over the past 12 months come in at just over £105,000.

Read more: Kate Middleton's £105k wardrobe: Duchess of Cambridge is worth every penny, says LIZ JONES | Mail Online

ok, 105K in 12 months, 35K in 6 months. so her expenditure has gone down. well, kudos to her then. this is a 'business expense'. just happens that her 'business is PR. i think that newspapers just don't have enough to write about!!
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton's £105k wardrobe: Duchess of Cambridge is worth every penny, says LIZ JONES | Mail Online

What i find silly about this articles is the large number of items that were already in pocession of the Duchess proir to her marriage - in particluar the jewellery section
Therefore i find this reporting irrelevant and sensationalist

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Kate Middleton's £105k wardrobe: Duchess of Cambridge is worth every penny, says LIZ JONES | Mail Online

What i find silly about this articles is the large number of items that were already in pocession of the Duchess proir to her marriage - in particluar the jewellery section
Therefore i find this reporting irrelevant and sensationalist
yes, it was a slow news day indeed!!
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Let's assume it's truth - now off-set it against the £80,000 she helped to raise for EACH just by wearing their charity bracelet. I think that's vfm

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Speaking of Catherine cooking, how good of a cook do you think she is? She has specialties down by heart or you think she has a lot of cookbooks? I wonder how she learned, from her mom or was it just time and practice.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Let's assume it's truth - now off-set it against the £80,000 she helped to raise for EACH just by wearing their charity bracelet. I think that's vfm
I bought 5 of the EACH bracelets and gave them to friends (along with a copy of the DM article explaining) - people love it so they can tell the story when asked - because when you wear a purple and orange bracelet looking like candy you will get asked.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

That is so strange to think about. Im sure Catherine would have learned a few cooking techniques from mom of course. Cookbooks? Maybe. Im sure she can hold her own in the kitchen. I just keep picturing her with people cooking for her. I actually wonder if she really does any cooking at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Like me, Kate will almost certainly have studied Home Economics for several years while at school. On top of that, she probably got better at it when she went away to university and had to make her own meals.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea how to work a washing machine until I was about to leave for uni and my mum taught me how to do it. It's amazing the things you learn to do when you're suddenly having to fend for yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

With the abundance of fresh fish in Anglesey, I'm sure she must prepare a seafood dish or two. Didn't she make a fish in parchment dinner for their first wedding anniversary, or was it chicken in parchment? Either way, that shows a familiar hand in the kitchen.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Courtier

I think that she learnt it from her mother who is a good cooker. And i also believe that she cooks their meals when they are at Anglesey
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Gentry

I love it...I think she is probably a pretty good cook and does as much cooking as time allows. She probably learned from her mother and maybe her dad. I think they did the family style meals, where everyone pitched in. She probably, also took some Home Economics in school and uses cookbooks. I heard somewhere that she talks to the chefs at Buck House and Clarence House...wouldn't that be fun!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Pippa attended cookery courses, so it is well possible Kate did too.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Please note that several posts have been deleted as off topic.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I never took home ec in highschool? I don't remember why though. It's often joked about where I'm from that college students live off ramen and grilled cheese sandwiches. I know it college the only food I cooked was hot pockets. The microwave was my friend.
Anyone who truly knows how to cook a meal is wonderful to me.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I never took home ec in highschool? I don't remember why though. It's often joked about where I'm from that college students live off ramen and grilled cheese sandwiches. I know it college the only food I cooked was hot pockets. The microwave was my friend.
Anyone who truly knows how to cook a meal is wonderful to me.
I was exactly the same and I hate cooking
but now I have two baby daughters so I had to learn

During their engagement's interview William and Kate talked aboutcooking during Uni
here's the video

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts regarding William and Diana have been deleted as off topic.

The topic is General Information on the Duchess of Cambridge.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Courtesy of the 'London Evening Standard (hopefully the DM will not get a wind of this, because I can see them taking it out of proportion, and I'm also curious how they managed to find all this out):

The Duchess of Cambridge 'never showed any interest' in William says school pal - Celebrity News - Showbiz - Evening Standard

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family