The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Am I the only one who has no problem with this arrangement? This is the business of being royal. I don't have a problem with the Order of Precedence or the expense. It is what it is, I expect royals' life styles live vastly different to my own. When folks complain about how much CP Mary, Catherine etc I shrug. They're royals, they're photographed and critiqued here and elsewhere; they're expected to have a quality and wide variety of clothing.

These traditional arrangements wherein Prince of Wales pays the expenses of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry or Order of Precedence are fascinatingly archaic but charming rules. They're interesting but I see nothing controverial about either topic.
I have no problem with it whatsoever. She needed to build an appropriate wardrobe for her new role, and, if anything, I would anticipate the costs rising as she becomes a full time working royal over the next couple of years. I was actually surprised the number wasn't higher.

It would be a very bad idea for Kate to start accepting freebies or highly discounted clothes from designers, IMO. She, (or I guess Charles), can afford to pay full price and she shouldn't be beholden to any designer or shop.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Thanks Hermione I forgot to mention it. She was also campaigning for Range Rover and Rolex. All the grandchildren are well provided for financially so we don't have to worry about who is paying for their clothes

Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Does anyone know how other females in the RF finance their clothing expenses?

Beatrice and Eugenie wear designer dresses, so does the Queen pay?
(Andrew's income is not that large -well, comparatively- so I expect the Queen must help out?)

What about Anne, Sophie, Zara? Who pays for everyone?
The Queen doesn't cover for any private expenses of any members of her family.
Prince Andrew pays for Beatrice and Eugenie, Prince Edward - for Sophie, Princess Anne and Zara pay for themselves.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The Queen doesn't cover for any private expenses of any members of her family.
Prince Andrew pays for Beatrice and Eugenie, Prince Edward - for Sophie, Princess Anne and Zara pay for themselves.

But unlike Charles, Andrew, Anne, and Edward lack a private income; they are supported by the Queen.
So that means she does pay for everyone, even if indirectly.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
But unlike Charles, Andrew, Anne, and Edward lack a private income; they are supported by the Queen.
So that means she does pay for everyone, even if indirectly.
All of them - Andrew, Anne, Edward and even their children have quite a sizeable private fortune inherited from the Queen Mother, and other relatives.
The Queen covers for expenses of their official engagements only, never private ones. Of course, indirectly Her Majesty might have already made provisions so that her children and grandchildren (other than the Wales family) are well provided for.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
A few designers have complained that Kate doesn't wear enough designer gear; that she should leave Zara alone and go much more upscale. Even the Daily Mail's own Liz 'sperm stealer' Jones wrote an entire article about how Kate should ditch the £185 LK Bennets for the £600 shoes of some up and coming British designer.

Kate has got a decent mix going at the moment. Some of it's high street, some of it's couture. She has repeated many of her outfits (much to the DM's annoyance), and even worn clothes that she's owned since long before her engagement. She hasn't done what some princesses have and simply bought almost the entire Prada collection every season. She doesn't have a dresser or a stylist and gets it right most of the time.

I think she's doing ok so far.
I agree with you, EIIR. Although I'd like to see Kate in 15,000 gowns, she is playing it smart with what she is currently wearing. Some of her outfits (mostly the high street stuff) I don't care for. She hasn't had too many misses with the designer designs, but they are not couture and, frankly, she doesn't yet need couture. When I consider what I used to pay for business suits, 35,000 for Kate (assuming this includes undergarments, shoes and accessories) so far, I wouldn't say it is too much.

As for borrowing clothing from couture houses, some do, some don't. I don't really have feelings about this at all. I, personally, wouldn't do that but it is OK by me if others do.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Courtier

I would assume the borrowing in Kates case would be more of the last minute unexpected situation. For example (and I dont know) it woudln't surprise me if the Amanda Wakely gown that Kate wore to host the reception at Clarence House in the POWs absence was borrowed. It didnt look like her usual style (albeit it was lovely) and I beleive it was mentioned to be from Amanda Wakely's archives.

It is a designer she has a relationship with, knows her sizes and she needs something last minute. Another possible candidate for a borrowed outfit may be the knit Anne of Green Gables that she wore in Canada. That too was 5-6 years old and seemed more of a themed homage to her trip to PEI... and again an existing relationship with McQueen.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
All of them - Andrew, Anne, Edward and even their children have quite a sizeable private fortune inherited from the Queen Mother, and other relatives.
The Queen covers for expenses of their official engagements only, never private ones. Of course, indirectly Her Majesty might have already made provisions so that her children and grandchildren (other than the Wales family) are well provided for.
I heard that, except for a few small bequests, the Queen Mother left her entire estate to the Queen, to avoid inheritance tax.

I also read that ever since the Civil List was eliminated for most of the BRF, they all get funds directly from the Queen (which is why they are happy to undertake various engagements on her behalf).
Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I heard that, except for a few small bequests, the Queen Mother left her entire estate to the Queen, to avoid inheritance tax.

I also read that ever since the Civil List was eliminated for most of the BRF, they all get funds directly from the Queen (which is why they are happy to undertake various engagements on her behalf).
The Queen Mother left most of her personal collection (jewellery, art, and similar) to the Queen to avoid taxes. However, she also set up trust funds (which, if all necessary boxes are ticked, are also exempt from taxes) for all her grandchildren (except Charles - who had an income from the Duchy of Cornwall) and great-grandchildren.

I did mention that the Queen uses the Civil List to cover all official expenses of members of the Royal Family who do engagements n behalf of the Crown - but not their private ones. She may fund them privately - but not from Civil List.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1908696.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1974678.stm
Trust Funds for the Queen's Children and Grandchildren
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Courtier

and she has provided homes for all of them - her children, not her grandchildren
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

Most of Kate's outfits have been lovely. I'm surprised it's not more than 35K. If I recall Diana spent considerably more even though she did have a higher profile position being the wife of the heir.

LaRae
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

£105,000 the TRUE bill for Kate's clothes: That's far more than the £35k reported.
Quote:
So it’s estimated that Kate’s clothing has cost Prince Charles £35,000 just since the beginning of the year. It is a princely sum. But Femail has delved more deeply into the Duchess of Cambridge’s wardrobe, and discovered that the ensembles she has worn over the past 12 months come in at just over £105,000. While Prince Charles will have footed the bill for the outfits Kate wore to official functions, it is unclear who will have covered the cost of the rest, though they will include items she owned before she joined the Royal Family.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Commoner

How is this possible if they include the cost of pre ' duchess ' items. Siiiiiiiggghhhhh. I wish these so called journalists would jump off a bridge
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Courtier

Can this be believed? After all it IS Liz Jones!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

It's silly really she is a lot more frugal then some royal princesses on the continent.who wear top designer labels all the time .some of them must spend a couple hundred thousand a year on clothes alone. Not including accessories

Kate is cheap to some of them and gets more bang for the buck if you ask me.plus she wears British designers and that helps British businesses .not some French or Italian fashion house
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness

It's not as if Catherine was a poor girl from the streets when William "found" her. Of course she has invested in appropriate clothing before she got married - how dare the DM add up the money for these clothes to their list of "costs"? Why not add the price of her engagement ring to it as well? They should compare her to Samantha Cameron or any other lady who attends official functions in an official role. It would show that Catherine is very cost-conscious, IMHO.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

£105,000 the TRUE bill for Kate's clothes: That's far more than the £35k reported. But she's worth every penny, says LIZ JONES | Mail Online

hahaha, of course Liz Jones knows better, Kate is spending even MORE!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well Catherine isn't spending more, Charles is. But it makes sense for someone to document the true amount of her clothes. It would come to light in the expenditure report anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

It won't come to light in the accounts. From what I can see Charles's costs are rolled up in a total that doesn't set out the cost of clothes for them all, let alone for Kate on her own. The figure will probably be higher because of the extremely busy year they've all had, but it would be inaccurate to look at the figures and say well costs are £150k up on last year so that's what Kate's spending on clothes. I suspect that's what the media will do anyway, but it will be disingenuous to do so.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If it's all 'rounded up' costs are going to be more than 105k as you've got the include the amount of travel done etc.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family