The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
It's just the cycle of the press when it come to the Cambridge. It's goes, William and Catherine are feeling broody, Catherine is pregnant, Catherine recycle her shoes too much, Catherine apparently spend too much money, the public want William to be the next King, etc. Rinse, Wash and Repeat
Actually I haven't seen a broody article, nor a pregnancy article, nor a William being King article from the british press in a very long time if ever.

Catherine recycles her shoes, I personally think she should own more than one colour of shoe (by the way that article was in the fashion section of the DM, so I don't see how that was out of place, also one article not been repeated since).

This article is the first of its kind and the fact she's spent 35k on those clothes is interesting. People don't comment on William and Harry's clothes because nobody is interested, do you think we'd have had a two page discussion over a tux and some suits?

She's done a lot for fashion, not intentionally and not always for british designers but if Catherine went to an engagement in a £9.99 H&M people would laugh. If you need to spend 35K to look like a Princess then so be it.

As for Beatrice and Eugenie's fashion, there was an article about the cost of their clothes a while back because I remember thinking that they should take the designers freebies as often as they can, money for their clothes comes from their own pockets (eg. trust funds) I believe, not from their father. Or so I heard.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
35k on mainly McQueen outfits is too much to me.
She supports mainly the British fashion industry by buying clothes from High Street to British designers and she makes this industry famous worldwide. If you compare what the government spends on supporting British industry interests abroard it is mere peanuts and peanuts not payed for by the taxpayer. The Wales' household should be praised for that, not critizised. They see to it that British jobs are secured.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
She supports mainly the British fashion industry by buying clothes from High Street to British designers and she makes this industry famous worldwide. If you compare what the government spends on supporting British industry interests abroard it is mere peanuts and peanuts not payed for by the taxpayer. The Wales' household should be praised for that, not critizised. They see to it that British jobs are secured.
I can't remember one British designer Catherine has worn, all I remember is McQueen. I honestly don't know why people buy the clothes Catherine wears, if they weren't going to buy it originally, why buy it because she's worn it?
Catherine wearing a high street brand or promoting british fashion isn't going to save jobs in the long run, I wonder if she bought a card from Clinton Cards the company would magically pop out of bankruptcy.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Further to my post about comparing last year's expenditure with this years to see if its changed, this is from the DM reporter's twitter page:

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
@britishroyals No.The article explains it will be part of the prince's official spending which we will be examining to see if it has changed

OF course it will have changed!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I imagine it changes every year, but this way we'll see how much it has changed since Catherine 'officially' joined.

When does this go from is it April 2011 to April 2012 or when to when?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Aristocracy

i suppose this outfit is also part of the clothing expenditure. but i don't think jimmy choo takes wellies. hehehe

Duchess of Cambridge visits Widehorizons
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

That's right and needs to be published by end of June. It will posted on the PoW web site.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Petty cash to him but not the rest of the us, Charles volunteered to pay for Catherine's clothes so who would be paying if he didn't?
Not sure where you are driving this to, but if Charles did not pay for Kate's clothing, either William or HM would.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not sure where you are driving this to, but if Charles did not pay for Kate's clothing, either William or HM would.
There was no secret hint behind the question, it was simple just who would pay for it if Charles didn't. I assume HM therefore must pay for Sophie or does Edward?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Edward was getting an allowance of £141,000 to cover all expenses under the Civil List system. That includes cost of Sophie. By comparison, Anne gets £245,000.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Because she's worth it! Charles' accounts to reveal the cost of Kate's wardrobe for the first time.... and it could be as much as £35,000 so far this year
Quote:
For a self-proclaimed Queen of the High Street, she has embraced the joys of designer shopping most enthusiastically. Indeed, a quick tot up of her recent purchases suggests the increasingly glamorous Duchess of Cambridge has spent more than £35,000 on couture and ‘high end’ outfits since the beginning of the year alone. In the next few days the public is going to be given an insight into the real ‘cost of Kate’ when Prince Charles opens up his financial accounts for the first time since the royal wedding. For unusually, the Mail can reveal, it is not the Duchess’s husband who is footing the bill for her dazzling new wardrobe but her father-in-law, Prince Charles.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I can't remember one British designer Catherine has worn, all I remember is McQueen. I honestly don't know why people buy the clothes Catherine wears, if they weren't going to buy it originally, why buy it because she's worn it?
Catherine wearing a high street brand or promoting british fashion isn't going to save jobs in the long run, I wonder if she bought a card from Clinton Cards the company would magically pop out of bankruptcy.
Honestly? Along with McQueen, she's worn Jimmy Choo (a British company), LK Bennett, Alice Temperley, Katherine Hooker, Whistles, Reiss, Burberry, Mulberry, French Sole (British despite the name), Anya Hindmarch, Erdem (Canadian but based in London), Libelula, Issa (Brazilian but based in London), Roland Mouret (French but has been based in London for 25 years), Matthew Williamson, Oasis, Ted Baker, Jenny Packham, Amanda Wakeley, Joseph, Catherine Walker, Links of London among others. All British or based in Britain.

Kate has put these designers in the global spotlight in a way that you probably can't buy. People buy what she wears for one single reason - because they like what she wears. What's so odd about that?

In the midst of a double dip recession, LK Bennett are expanding into the US and they basically admit that they wouldn't even have considered it until Kate gave them a huge leg up by wearing their stuff. All these designers have been boosted as a result of Kate wearing their designs, some have made more of the opportunity than others, but Kate has been a real boon for the industry at a very difficult time economically.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Further to my post about comparing last year's expenditure with this years to see if its changed, this is from the DM reporter's twitter page:

Rebecca English@RE_DailyMail
@britishroyals No.The article explains it will be part of the prince's official spending which we will be examining to see if it has changed

OF course it will have changed!
Just so I understand correctly, Rebecca English is going to see if there is a changed in spending since Catherine joined the BRF and if there is it will only be because of the amount she spend on clothes? There was no travel expenses when she went to Canada and United States on tour. When she went to Denmark on an official engagement. When she used car or train transportation to go to her official engagements. Yep that makes sense, all the expenses were b/c of fashion.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Given the costs incurred with the wedding last year, and also in preparations for a bumper year of royal activities this year, I'd be shocked if Charles's costs haven't gone up. I remember reading somewhere that Charles had to take on a handful of temporary workers to deal with the tens of thousands of congratulatory letters and cards sent to William and Kate after their wedding.

Charles and Camilla have also undertaken quite a number of overseas visits, which always impacts on costs.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Courtier

I also forgot to mention, William, Catherine and Harry move into their new apartment. I'm going to assume they had to buy furniture and decoration, etc for their new place.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I don't care how much Catherine spends on her clothes, if she has the money/budget to spend on the outfits, then let her spend. She has so far balanced it well with high street and designer wear.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

excuse me: none of the costs of the trips that charles and camilla or william and kate have performed or the cost of the events they perform (such as cars, drivers, or any other assistance) comes from charles's private allowance. those are diplomatic or representation costs which are of course not covered by the royal family themselves. so if charles' budget changed, it may well be because of kate's spending (clothes or otherwise), or on the wedding or on the costs of having one more person in the house but by no means it can be blamed on the engagements they have performed.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Actually, Prince Charles covers his expenses from the Duchy of Cornwall income. Although his sons are now grown-ups and in possession (at least, in William's case) of their own inheritance, he also continues covering their official and private expenses - including Kate's wardrobe.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Aristocracy

in retrospect, if you consider a 2k outfit here and a 1k outfit there and some expensive shoes, it's really only what, maybe 60 or 70 new outfits for the year?and if they are less than that, more power to her. i think she 'recycles' graciously and beautifully.
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Someplace, back when they got married, I read that Catherine had been given a budget of 80,000 for clothes. We'll never know.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, lady kitty, princess diana, spencer family